Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thin Slices of Joy

Comments

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited February 2021

This is the best remake of a remarkable song.

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited February 2021

Today's thin slices: finding an extra pair of silk glove liners to keep my hubby's hands warm while we were shoveling snow, the sense of community in the neighbors being out clearing their sidewalks and driveways, the joy of a neighborhood dog romping in the snow, sipping a cup of decaf lemon lift tea with local honey to warm my hands and my insides, making applesauce on a COLD winter day (my house smells so good), the sunshine and amazing blue sky after the snowstorm passed.

Live version with George, Ringo, Elton John, Phil Collins, Jeff Lynne, and a few others. Made me want to hear the Traveling Wilburys tell me, Well It's All Right!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2021

badger - Great performances! I miss Tom Petty.

Here's an Italian rendition of Michael Stipe's lockdown song. ❤️ Be safe and warm. About to have my Sunday coffee. 😋

• badger
    edited February 2021

Amore Adesso = No Time for Love Like Now. Nice!

With all due respect to Dean Martin, when I think of songs about Amore, I think of Il Volo. I took my mom to see them in Milwaukee in 2014. They were excellent and we were thrilled. That memory is today's thin slice of joy.

Here are links to two of their songs about Amore: Un Amore Così Grande - Il Volo Live PBS 2019 and Il Volo - Grande Amore (Italy) - LIVE at Eurovision 2015 Grand Final. I decided to post videos of two of my fave performances by them.

2011 on American Idol. They are so young! Piero is 17, Gianluca is 16, and Ignazio is 16.

2015 live from Pompeii. Yes, that is Plácido Domingo conducting the orchestra.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2021

badger - They are amazing! Must have been great to see in person.

Hope the weird winter storm and power outages end soon. It isn't easy when you're not used to it and don't have the cold weather gear. Be careful out there.

I saw this video today. ❤️

• badger
    edited February 2021

Serenity, that was beautiful! Is that Ellie Goulding with Andrea Bocelli? I like her video Burn, which has 1.4 billion (!) views. Edited to swap video to something more tender. Andrea Bocelli and Sarah Brightman in 2007 singing Con Te Partirò (Time to Say Goodbye), dedicated to Luciano Pavarotti, who had just passed away.

Today's thin slice is going to VOTE. It's a primary for state superintendent of public instruction. The top two vote-getters will face off in April. Turnout is expected to be very low but I have voted in every election since I turned 18 (40+ years ago) and don't expect to miss this one just because it's cold. And it is VERY cold.

• BevJen
    BevJen Member Posts: 2,341
    edited February 2021

Serenity,

Thanks for posting that video/song. Just beautiful. Great thing to see in the morning to set your day.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2021

badger - That's such a beautiful song. I think that it was this song that I first noticed him. I bought the CD as a Christmas gift for my dad. Hope your outing to vote went well.

BevJen - I agree. I smiled the whole time it played.

Hope Minus and others in Texas are able to get warm. It's weird for it to be warmer here. Today is just a normal winter day. But we have snowplows, road salt, and snow tires.

Time for dancing music:

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2021

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,311
    edited February 2021

serenity I want to come to your B&B

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2021

Santabarbarian - Sounds good! We'll have freshly baked bread every day. 😋

Never been to Mardi Gras, but I love New Orleans music. Playing for Change + Dr. John =

• badger
    edited February 2021

Edited to add: yesterday's slice was an in-person visit with my mom. We were masked and separated by plexiglass but it was SO good to see her!

One of my favorite movies is Chef, one because I like the story* and two because I love the music**. Unfortunately, the movie is not on You Tube.

* From IMDB: Carl Casper is an acclaimed chef with a family life that seems as decaying as his artistic freedom. Those frustrations boil over into a raucous viral-videoed public confrontation against a restaurant critic who panned his cooking of food that his boss ordered him to make against his instincts. Now with his career ruined, Carl's ex-wife offers an unorthodox solution in Miami: refit an old food truck to offer quality cooking on his own terms. Now with his young son, Percy, and old colleague, Martin, helping, Carl takes a working trip across America with that truck to rediscover his gastronomic passion. With Percy's tech savvy and Martin's enthusiasm, Carl finds that he is creating a traveling sensation on the way home. In doing so, Carl discovers he is serving up more than simply food, but also a deeper connection with his life and his family that is truly delicious in its own way.

** Here are two tunes from the soundtrack by New Orleans-based brass bands.

This tune plays when they are heading into NOLA.

This tune plays when they are leaving NOLA. Here's a quick clip of it with Jon Favreau and John Leguzamo singing.

Here's the official music video. Love me some tuba!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2021

badger - Yay to seeing your mom! I completely agree with you on Chef. I've seen it a few times. I love food movies. Have you seen Eat Drink Man Woman or the Hundred-Foot Journey?

I've been watching some documentaries. The latest on Teddy Pendergrass made me cry. I didn't know his story at all. After becoming a quadriplegic from a car accident, he was able to make music again.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,264
    edited February 2021

My slice of joy today is having the water back on - even if we can't drink it & must boil to even brush our teeth.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2021

Minus - I'm so happy to hear from you! It's insane what you're going through. Hope you can stay warm and dry. I've read of pipes bursting. ☹️

Please stay safe!

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,609
    edited February 2021

This was the message in a fortune cookie I just ate and I thought it appropriate for here:

"Music is the divine way to tell beautiful, poetic things to the heart". Attribution not included but Google revealed the source was Pablo Casals.

• badger
    edited February 2021

Yay, Minus, glad you are safe and have H2O.

Great quote, Betrayal, and so true.

Serenity, I have seen the Hundred-Foot Journey (loved it) but not Eat Drink Man Woman. I will look for it. Have you seen Chocolat?

I will watch the Teddy Pendergrass story "If You Don't Know Me" any time it's on TV. I love his voice. Women of a certain age will remember how sexy he was. Thanks Lionel Ritchie for writing this song but Teddy owned it. According to the Showtime documentary, this is the only recording of Teddy performing Lady.

BTW, Happy Birthday to another musical pioneer, Smokey Robinson. He turned 81 today.

• badger
    edited February 2021

Yesterday's slice of joy was having the house to myself all afternoon when DH went to play poker with "the boys." I read, I napped, I got on the treadmill. (He likes noise and turns on the TV the minute he's awake. Me, not so much. I get up early to have several hours of blissful peace & quiet.)

Today's slice was the double-digit temperature. It got up to 15 degrees !!

• minustwo
    edited February 2021

Badger - love the Teddy Pendergrass. I'm a bit older than your "certain age", but I definitely remember him. And happy birthday Smokes. I'm still a bit younger than Smokey.

Today's slice of joy. I got my 2nd Pfizer vaccine and so far no side effects. I was able to find gas for my car on the way home and I came home to sustained power & water.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2021

Betrayal - That quote is so true! 👍

badger - I saw Chocolat long ago. Think I need to rewatch it. I'm definitely looking at more Teddy Pendergrass since it seems I've missed out. He had a beautiful voice. Happy Birthday to Smokey, another amazing voice.

Minus - Glad this week is ending much better than it started for you. I'm a big fan of modern medicine and technology.

We had light snow and then some sunshine. I finished my Valentine's chocolate (with assist from the whole family).

• badger
    edited February 2021

Minus, great slices! Vaccine, gasoline, power & water.

Serenity, if you remember a group called Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes, Teddy was their lead singer.

These lyrics are still relevant today, 46 years later!

Wake up, everybody, no more sleeping in bed
    No more backward thinking, time for thinking ahead
    The world has changed so very much from what it used to be
    There's so much hatred, war, and poverty, whoa, oh

Wake up, all the teachers, time to teach a new way
    Maybe then they'll listen to whatcha have to say
    Cause they're the ones who's coming up, and the world is in their hands
    When you teach the children, teach 'em the very best you can

The world won't get no better
    If we just let it be
    We gotta change it, yeah, just you and me

Wake up, all the doctors, make the old people well
    They're the ones who suffer and who catch all the hell
    But they don't have so very long before their Judgement Day
    So won't you make them happy before they pass away

Wake up, all the builders, time to build a new land
    I know we can do it if we all lend a hand
    The only thing we have to do is put it in our minds
    Surely things will work out, they do it every time

If we just let it be
    We gotta change it, yeah, just you and me (yeah, yeah)

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2021

badger - I've never heard of the band. ☹️ Teddy's voice is timeless (though the outfits not so much). Unfortunately, that song is still relevant as many protest songs are. ☹️☹️

We just started watching Hannibal (rewatch for my older daughter and me). It's sort of a cooking-ish show. 🙈

Don't think I'd want to be in Hannibal's kitchen, but he could lure me in with this great cover of Robert Johnson's song.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2021

Sunday coffee with morning dance. 🎶

• badger
    edited February 2021

Serenity, I remember the 1970s as a time of great music and bad fashion. Love the toe-tapping dance video!

Got up ready to shovel only to discover DH had done it last night. Nice! He must have done it when I fell asleep on the couch, watching TV.

Reminds me of a song by Steve Goodman. He was so talented and loved performing. You can hear the smile in his voice.

• yesiamadragon
    yesiamadragon Member Posts: 343
    edited February 2021

I forgot this was his song! Yes,tragic to lose him so young, he was so talented!

• minustwo
    edited February 2021

Badger - Oh my, Thanks for the good laugh this morning. I quit watching TV long ago but I still remember most of the things he's talking about.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2021

bsdger - Never heard of Steve Goodman. That was great! I still have my first late night purchase: the Food Saver. I bought it while nursing my older daughter.

Feeling punkish. Broke my 36-hr fast with chocolate cake. And it was good.

• badger
    edited February 2021

Yesterday's thin slice was a walk outside! It was almost 40 and sunny. In-person visit with mom today.

Serenity, songs from the asylum? LOL

• minustwo
    edited February 2021

badger - I had "the don'ts" yesterday - so outside was on the menu. It was sunny and 82 here. Weird since last week was 15 degrees. I took a bag & picked up bottles & can & old food packages in our local park. Then walked 6 miles. So the slice of joy is that most of my neighbors who had leaks have found plumbers and only a few had ceilings crash in due to water leaks.

• badger
    edited February 2021

Minus, that sounds like a good day and pretty large slices of things to be thankful for.

Saw mom yesterday and learned I can visit every Weds. How great is that!?!

Came home, wrestled with new TV system (they discontinued our old one, we picked a new one, and it needed to be installed) then made stock for Calico Bean Soup. Did some decluttering and found my missing 1-pound hand weights. Those will be good additions to walking routine. All in all a good day.

I posted this clip to the Daily Exercise thread as inspiration for the joys of exercise for everyone, in shape or not. Love it so much I thought you all might, too.