Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Uplifting and Lively Messages. No holds barred..

Options

Comments

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Michelle_in_cornland Member Posts: 1,233
    Options

Hi, everyone!!! I have been walking my butt off!!! And, guess what? My puppies are now awesome walkers. They are really walking me. We tried in December and it did not work out. I decided a couple of weeks ago, to put them on the tandem leash and just try. I walk on my own at the mall, walk with the puppies, and sometimes outside alone. The walking helps them sleep better.

I celebrated Valentine's Day twice, once with friends, and tonight with hubby. My dh collects cars, and saw a Grand Marquis from 1990 in impeccable shape. He bought it for a few hundred dollars and my ds girlfriend wants to buy the 22ft car. It is brown with a cream landau top. They really don't make cars like they used to. Our current cars will not make it to car shows, but junk lots instead. The kids today are into 80s and 90s style, and buggy fits that style perfectly. I could definitely see Steve McGarrett driving one of those cars. Here is an example!!!

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    Options

I am finally home from my travels and meetings. Love the style of the car, Michelle! Have tons of work, but will get out on my skis today and hope to get to the slopes tomorrow. There is 6' of fresh snow in the mountain passes, so wonderful skiing ahead. But I may do the lower elevations as avalanche danger on the really fun trails.

My meetings went well, but they come with significant follow up work. 

I celebrated Valentine's Day with Part 2 of my birthday dinner. I was able to bring back everything in doggie bags so came home to a fridge full of gourmet food. Not to mention the freezer full of gourmet meat I got at the local butcher there. I also have Emmer flour, so will vary my bread recipe the next time I make bread.

Will post winter wonderland pictures when I get a bit more free time. Enjoy your walking mates, Michelle.

More later as have a couple of deadlines today. - Claire

• gkbuser
    gkbuser Member Posts: 300
    Options

hi ladies, I feel like I haven't been on here in forever! I'm fine just super busy. Which I like because I don't think about breast cancer all the time. My youngest daughter is signed up for jazz band and track and I feel like I'm constantly running with that which I love. So I decided to get on here and read the updates while I'm waiting for her to get out of track practice. I hope everyone is doing well and I did enjoy reading everyone's updates. Seems to be the winter that won't end. Good thing I like winter and snow but honestly this is a bit much. And that's funny because I've never been one to complain about it before.

• claire_in_seattle
    Options

If it makes you feel any better, I just waited for the HAIL to stop before doing my walk this evening. I returned to Seattle on Monday and still catching up on work and jet lag. Trip to NYC was a success, and glad to have that chapter behind me.

February was quite the month, and amazingly, I got it all done. Skiing on Saturday and then onto spring and finding space for my reclaimed possessions. But need to get out the door before more hail (or rain) shows up Happy

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Too snoozy for fabulousness. Thankfully, I made lentil and sausage soup last night so dinner should be a snap. - Claire 

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Oh, I have missed my girls on here!!! It appears that this winter has brought about some emotional crisis for people that I know. I have been listening to problems and doing a little late night counseling on depression, light therapy and exercise. It has been one hell of a winter and I am glad that spring is almost here. We have had 5 months of snow in Illinois, and 65 mile an hour straight line winds. All of these weather related issues has kept people inside, in bed, getting depressed. My puppies keep me going, and I have used this time to work on another room in our house.

I have bought a new mattress and a mattress topper, and it is comfy. My husband snores so loud, that it affected my health several years ago, and I became a couch sleeper. Now I have my own comfy bed......he still snores and makes light of it. In 2016, April, my nephew got married and we traveled to a nice venue and had to sleep in a hotel. I slept in the lobby with a blanket on the couch. I was so exhausted after that weekend, that I thought.....I need to find my own solution. I have suggested sleep studies for dh.....he laughs me off. So, I am creating my own room, where I can sleep and protect my health. When someone snores, it affects more than just them. I am creating a glam oasis for myself, because I am worth it (shampoo commercial from the 80s.) What that means, is that I have to go through more "stuff" and sell/donate/consign a bunch of stuff. I have taken up selling a few items on Ebay, which is doing okay.

Thaddeus and Theodore keep me on my toes and I love interacting with them. They love singing and dancing to Barney tunes. (for those that don't know who they are, Thaddeus and Theodore are my six month old mini schnauzer puppies.) They love hugs, smooches, and rubbing noses. Thaddeus jumped over one of the internal house gates and dashed out the door last week, as I was putting something in my car. I had to chase him, in 9 degree weather, only wearing socks. My former dog, Sylvester, taught me well, about staying on top of my puppies whereabouts. I am definitely a helicopter puppy mom.

I will update with more later. Let's just say, this has been a tough winter....

• claire_in_seattle
    Options

It's funny about outdoor exercise. Last night it was a walk just at dusk in the cold drizzle. Even with that, I felt so much better half way into the 3 miles or so. But of course, nothing like Saturday's ski in brilliant sunshine. Which reminds me that I need to meet my friend with doggie "nephew" for a long walk and microbrew. 

Rejoicing right now as my wonderful friend Margaret appears to be out of danger. She and I go back decades and we reconnected during my recent trip to London. Anyway, she has been in hospital with sepsis originating from a kidney infection. Really, really serious, but yesterday she was moved out of intensive care, and she is feeling a lot better. I was overjoyed to get this news.

I hear you Michelle, about having your own space. One of the benefits of living alone is that I can have girly things such as nudes in my bathroom. And I just love my pillow top mattress. So comfy. Sleep is very important to me. 

I have a number of items headed my way to house my new things. One is a plain cabinet for my kitchen which I will need to assemble. I think I can do this without help. New trash can for recyclables to replace "the paper shopping bag on stool" arrangement. I also ordered a faux-antique chest for next to the front door. Not the greatest quality, but it will fit the spot and add a pop of color. This will get various items off the kitchen bar and tidy everything up. My goal is to have everything set up before the items I shipped from NY arrive on Monday. I still need to see about one more shelf for my bedroom closet for items such as Christmas decorations, so I can combine everything in one place and get them out of my front closet. 

While at it, I am looking at reading lamps. Which reminds me that I have at least one Amazon gift card. Right now, the good light for reading is over my desk. I need to upgrade near my comfy chairs so I can curl up with tea and a nice book.

All said, I want to up the glam. No need to "make do" at this point. Which reminds me that I could ditch some of the thrift shop pots I bought when I first moved to Seattle as no longer use them. Again, this would free up space. Looks like I have a project for the balance of the year.

Yikes.... The day is starting, and I must get to work. Wish me luck tomorrow when the stuff arrives! - Claire 

• claire_in_seattle
    Options

Need to report that spring has indeed arrived and the cherry trees are starting to bloom! Plus, we had the most glorious full moon. I didn't manage to get out my bicycle yet, as went Saturday for one final day of perfect conditions as the snow changed from winter to spring skiing. Just fabulous.

I had planned on cycling on Sunday, but alas, the storage cabinet took much, much longer than one hour to assemble. But it's up and looks amazing in the space. Seven boxes of my possessions arrived on Monday, and I spent much of the day unpacking, getting about half way through. It's so nice to have my things once again. Though I must admit that I can't wait to be finished and be done sharing my space with large boxes.

That will need to wait until the weekend when I have time. The packing peanuts are the worst, but I certainly made the right decision to have the UPS Store do the packing job. I don't think I would have saved any money in the long run with DIY, and they know how to do it right, which is really important when shipping fragile items.

Once past this task and a couple of work deadlines, I need to schedule a haircut, as the "shag" went out of fashion decades ago. Really looking forward to freshening up my look now that the days are getting warmer.

Sending spring everyone's way. - Claire 

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Claire, you had me at "shag"......... good to see that you are almost back in the saddle, as 'tis a sign of spring for the rest us. This was a rough winter, but we are now in Spring, thank God.

My son has been working like a dog in his master's program. I don't know why professors make final exams so complicated, that they have to curve it to start an "A" at 86. When I was professor, I made sure that my tests would reflect the grading scale, which is the purpose of a grading scale. Needless to say, that his professors make final exams discouraging. Some tests are not reflective of class notes, prior quizzes, prior tests, or homework assignments. Why have students complete a body of work, only to give a random final? My son is usually calm and collected, but had his feathers ruffled; which ruffled my feathers, and then I ruffled my husband's feathers....a chain cluster f**k reaction.

I have recently attended a Jewish naming ceremony, that was held the same day as the Purim celebration. What interesting timing....dirty jokes and booing at a naming. If a stranger would have walked in, without knowing about Purim, we would have looked nuts. Here is an excerpt from google, summarizing Purim.

Purim 2018: Five things you didn't know about the Jewish holiday ...

https://www.independent.co.uk › News › UK › Home News

Feb 27, 2018 - As part of celebrations, Jewish people gather at the synagogue where the story of Esther is recited and the atmosphere is rowdy. While it is read, listeners are encouraged to use noisemakers called graggers and to boo, hiss and stamp their feet when Haman's name is mentioned in an attempt to drown it out.ere is an excerpt from google:

My husband, children and I are Catholic, steeped in tradition, adoration and pedophilia. One part of my family are Jewish, the other are Muslim. In the mosque, during Islamic celebrations, women and men are separated by gender, and proceed accordingly in hushed tones.....until the food. Each religion is unique, some more than others.

So, there you have it folks, those are some of the activities that have taken me away from this thread. Plus, the two puppies are huge and fabulous. I have decided to refurbish my family room sectional, because of the pups. I was going to invest in new ones, but it would not worth it, at this stage. These couches have seen baseball teams, volleyball teams, gymnastic teams, after school groups, etc. They are Natuzzi and I am finding it hard to find anything as hearty

• claire_in_seattle
    Options

Good move on refurbishing the sectional. My news is that I am unpacked and thoroughly enjoying my new possessions. Right now, I have a bit of a break, so catching up on lots of odds and ends. I am reminded of the closet exercise from last summer, except that it's my entire place. I have been here 5 years, and it's amazing what I have collected that is of no value. High on the list are items from cycling events.

As I rethink things, I am upgrading. This includes a needlepoint rug to replace the very Picasso-inspired one. It was fabulous in my Seattle place with the view of the Puget Sound, but less so here, and particularly not now that I have a number of 19-Century antiques. The balance has changed from modern to a few antique pieces, to nearly the reverse, and the rug looks very out of place, plus it's no longer the right color mix.

I never want to see another packing peanut!! But it all arrived here safe and sound, confirming my decision to use UPS pack and ship.

I am loving my latest resale shop find, a Lanvin sweater coat from "Hiver 2006". It's so fun as it has ruffles on the bottom, and is fabulous for these transition days. One of the things I can retire is an older one which has seen much better days. 

I finally got out my bicycle on Sunday, and it was a sad story. But I will get in shape soon enough.

Just got the word that the project that has been in the offing since January is finally moving forward. Yay!!!  Revenue for Q3 which is when I am likely to need it. I am so excited.

More later. The sun is out, but no sloughing off for the wicked. Happy spring! - Claire 

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Claire, Looking forward to seeing your Lanvin piece. I have a Lanvin bag, that is very Chanel like, that I love. My favorite pieces from Marc Jacobs and Lanvin are from around the 2005 era. I think the leather that was used back then, is superior to what we see on current bags. I am always scouting MJ leathers with suede interiors.

Have to go to sleep, but will catch up soon!!!

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Been busy working on refurbishing my couches. Was planning to replace them, but then the puppies came along. I have a fabulous slipcover person, that is super reasonable. He is helping me breathe life into 11 year old, baseball team, volleyball team and gymnastic team couches. They are Natuzzi, and are very well made. I plan to post before's and after's pics.

Ended up with a bronchial issue, after a couple of weeks of dragging around,got an antibiotic. Did an annual physical and my thrice yearly appt with my MO. What ranges are others LYM and NEU in? I need to get my LYM up a bit, and protein. I will being working with a dietitian later this month, to help accomplish my health goals. Made my chicken taco soup yesterday, loaded with black beans and chicken. So yummy and healthy. Was going to freeze some, but think I will just keep eating it to get my protein up.

This has been a long freaking winter, and I am so ready for nice weather to consistently begin.

Hugs to all my girls,

• claire_in_seattle
    Options

I just checked my last blood work which was six months after finishing radiation (December 2010). The only area not in the normal range was lymphocytes, but I assume they have recovered. Remember that it can take several years for some items to fully recover. I know that I craved protein for at least two years as my body recovered from treatment. That said, getting solid nutrients into your body is always a good idea. (But sometimes, you get whatever's going round anyway, as did my friend Margaret, who is thankfully recovering.) I know that the bronchial thingy is going round as my business partner was deathly ill with it. (I question whether she gets all the nutrients she needs as she doesn't cook for herself.)

Having a fabulous slipcover person is definitely the way to go, preferably something largely washable. You get to recycle plus get a custom look!

I am down to the last bowl of my beef-barley soup which was also super healthy, though you wanted to limit portions due to air quality issues. Last night, I made halibut. Loved it, but the star of dinner was creamed spinach with fresh oyster mushrooms that I had gathered during my run. Ideally they would have had a couple more days on the tree, but there is another 'shroomer out there, and I wanted to make sure that I was the one to get them!

One upgrade I made this week was to put my old car trunk bicycle rack on the scrap heap where it belonged as it had long since not done the job very well. I sprang for the extra dollars and ordered one that is a much better design and holds bicycles a lot more securely. I was able to snag a "new with damaged box" on Amazon and save a few dollars. I got the one that holds 3 bicycles. It arrives tomorrow. (Normally, I carry my bicycle around inside my hatch, but there are many times when a rack is extremely useful.)

My new rug arrives on Monday, so will be re-arranging a few things in anticipation of its arrival. I am so psyched, and think I have a home for my old one. I need to order a frame for Granny as soon as a bit more time passes. Not to mention that replacing the weeds in my deck planters with geraniums would be a step in the right direction. But want to wait a couple more weeks for that when the nights are a bit warmer.

It's fun putting together the place of my dreams that reflects who I am at this point of my life. Plus, I am making things a lot more functional along the way. Love the fact that I have original art work. 

Hoping the weather improves as promised so I get in a dry and not a wet ride later. Which reminds me that I need to figure out spring cycling events. I also want to look into cycling bibs, as no longer want to contend with shorts that fail to stay up. THE WORST.

But first I will enjoy the rest of the morning. - Claire 

• claire_in_seattle
    Options

In addition to everything else, I spent much of last week searching for my rug which had been mislaid by the building staff here. It surfaced yesterday and just love the result!!! (I will get out the steamer if I need to work on the folds, but so far so good.)

Caught up on cycling training this weekend. The Tulip Pedal is this coming Saturday, so need to be ready. Then lots of riding in May. I am getting wiser and choosing routes that are fun to do. There are so many wonderful places to cycle here that why waste your time with gruesome, dismal, and non-scenic?

Hope to return with amazing tulips.... Really, really special place and time of year.

Still chilly here, but that means that the spring bloom holds all that much longer. - Claire

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Tulips, can't wait for them to burst through ..........the snow. Yes, we had a bit of snow today, but it will be 80 in a day or 2. The puppies were just getting used to the sunshine, only to be faced with snow on their paws.

Nice rug, Claire!!! Can't wait to see the rest of your decor from NY.

I have been busy with my couches and 4th bedroom. Technically, I have a tiny bedroom that I use as a closet. So, it is really the 3rd bedroom that I am working on. In less than a month, dd will be home from college and I have to be out of her room. I have given alot of possessions away, which has been very shocking to see the accumulation of 25 years. It has been easy to let go and give nice things to homes that appreciate them. I showed up for dinner with my sister and my son's girlfriend last night, and handed them each a coach bag. One was a hipster style, the other was the monogram anniversary style. I feel good about both my mental progress letting go of stuff, and seeing the room take shape.

Hope everyone is doing well!!

• claire_in_seattle
    Options

Just got in from the most fabulous ride on a road which went way, way into the mountains. Somehow, I had missed that this road has been paved for a couple of years, which means amazing cycling. The main draws are hiking and camping, but cycling along a river back into the wilderness looking up at the mountain peaks counts as more than fine in my book.

Got in 30 miles of cycling, half of which was a long, slow uphill which is perfect for training.

I just figured out a shortcut to taming the closet clutter. I am using a "Top 10" approach. So cleared out the ten worst offenders from one closet, and am marveling at the spaciousness especially since my next trip was to the clothing drop across the way. This approach has a lot going for it as it's much easier to spot the things that truly need to go as opposed to making weighty (and time-consuming) decisions. And there will be less to decide about when I finally get to the job of tackling the less obvious items. This can be done in 10 minutes, so you don't need to allocate major hours to the job.

I think that if I do two more of these, plus shoes, life will be a lot more do-able. Not to mention that I'd really rather be cycling.

Looking a whole lot more chic with haircut, fresh color, and a facial. There is yet hope. I am also starting to see the benefits of cycling as my body adjusts to the training.

I am so enjoying my rug and all the other apartment upgrades. Such a pleasure.

I had the most wonderful thing happen this past week. My business partner and I have a research project that's just starting up. Last Monday, we had a call with the team, and the decision was to triple the number of focus groups and add another city. This pushes things back about a month and also means twice as much revenue for me and a much more convenient time. I should be able to catch my breath this year PLUS make decent money. 

Knowing this, I have booked myself in for a spot of vineyard camping in 3 weeks when I do the Yakima Canyon Ride. Hopefully, it's a few degrees warmer at night than the mid 30s.

I think that's it. Busy week ahead. Attaching a picture from today's ride and one from the tulip ride. - Claire

• claire_in_seattle
    Options

Now in full May and very soon onto summer which starts (after a final nonprofit event this week) with vineyard camping and two rides, one being the Sunnyside-Prosser-Mabton-Sunnyside loop and the second being the Yakima Canyon Ride. I will be doing Vineyard Camping for two nights. The upside of needing a warm comforter at night is that I won't be needing to duck under the irrigation spray nozzles en route to Mabton which last time also contained "organic fertilizer" in addition to water. No worries, as I cleaned off at the next stop underneath a sprinkler in a discreet corner of someone's lawn!

This weekend featured 80 miles of riding, the Skagit Spring Classic yesterday, and then a Tour des Fleurs (my name) very leisurely recovery ride that I did today. Attaching pix from the former. Feeling accomplished and quite fit. 

Did the metric century (62 miles) route yesterday. Just glorious weather and spectacular scenery though kept meeting up with a huge harrowing rig. 

Stopped at Snow Goose Produce who have all manner of local produce and such after yesterday's ride. (Though their big draw is the ice cream which I skipped.) Came back with local microbrew, some veggies, and a rosemary plant. Got dinner there as discovered that they had fresh-caught local porcupine shrimp (unavailable elsewhere as extremely local) which had also been cooked. Ah....shrimp cocktail, especially since they also sell amazing cocktail sauce. Brought it all home for a feast for the gods of all-you-can-eat shrimp cocktail and a salad of local lettuces with leftover roasted asparagus.

Dragged a bit today, but did manage the recovery ride. Also, got my car to the car wash as Rexxie (my Subaru WRX) was in clear need of a bit of love (though the birds are already circling ready to dive bomb). And yes, my new bib cycling shorts were a great success. Much more comfortable when you're not constantly tugging because they slithered southward. - Claire

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Claire,

Your weekend sounds wonderful and your pictures are gorgeous!!! My daughter moved home from her university on Friday, with all of her stuff. Thank God I was able to get out of her bedroom and clean it. It has been a long haul to redo another bedroom, sort through 25 years accumulation in that room, donate, recycle, etc, paint, figure out a bed with storage underneath. Old houses do not come with great closets. Now, I say, "look at the real estate under your bed for storage."

On Wednesday of this past week, I was part of my brother in law's entourage attending the band Chicago's performance at our local university. Front row, directly in front of the horn section....it was just the best. I really liked the sax player, and he played directly in front of me (within a couple of arms' lengths) My daughter and I both played the sax growing up, so I have a great appreciation for the instrument. Three of the original founding members were still going strong and they were all in great shape. With their hectic schedule, I am sure a trainer and nutritionist travel with the band. There is no way that they can look that amazing without proper nutrition and strength training. They played for 3 hours and shook hands/fist bumped afterwards.

I have been getting massages on Tuesdays, Bocce Ball on Thursdays, hanging out with husband and puppies. I literally have worked on the spare bedroom, now claimed by me, for two months. And, now, I am pooped.

Hugs to all my girls...

• claire_in_seattle
    Options

Sounds like you have been exceedingly productive! My productivity consisted of also taking most of Friday off, once my work computer got it's search function fixed. I always knew that Cortana had it in for me. Anyway, hard to function without it with several years of documents. 

I met my friends who were in town for a lunchtime wine tasting, and the other couple were great fun to get to know. I didn't get in the planned ride afterwards, but did get my bathroom cleaned and was able to pull the lemon balm out of the herb garden which was quite the task. Lemon balm is lovely as a ground cover where you can crush a leaf.... But it's an invasive weed when paired with other plants, choking them out. Fortunately, I bought the trowel for the job late last summer.

I don't have under bed storage, but something I would consider if I upgrade my bed frame from the current metal one. Storage also eliminates the need to vacuum underneath, which is something else I need to do. 

My friend in London has locked down the dates for her big birthday celebration in mid October so I can now buy airfare. I want to stay 2 weeks again so I have time to revisit more of my old haunts. I told her that I would be happy to help her set up and clean up afterwards. Will fly Virgin Atlantic this time so I don't have to change planes in Chicago on the way back. 

I also am planning on visiting a work colleague and friend in Idaho when her children are in school (September) so we can hang out on our bicycles and get into various mischief. Northern Idaho has amazing cycling trails and has been on my bucket list for some time.

There is another ride that I just discovered that goes out of Bellingham along the coast next to Canada. It would be a wonderful August ride. We shall see. So many great things to do, so little time..... - Claire 

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Wow, I can't believe that I have not posted for a long time. My daughter moved back in from college, with all of her stuff. However, I rented a storage unit by her school for most of her stuff. My son moves back, in the middle of June. He will receive the same instructions, "do not put your silverware or kitchenware in my kitchen." ......"all the things" tend to migrate back and then I donate them to the Goodwill. In the fall, the kids will ask, "where did our stuff go."

I have been playing bocce ball with my bff. She has one broken and one sprained hand, but insists on playing. We do have alot of fun. Friday night, dh and I, played at our club together. It was hot, but it was fun. I know those lanes, but he is a trained athlete. We will suffice it to say, that I did not win.

Party with his cousins/wives/friends on Saturday, which is always fun. There is not topic that is off the table...well maybe one. He plays poker with them at least once per week and I always look forward to him having fun. I say, "it is cheap therapy."

The puppies are amazing and I will be posting pics soon, I promise.

Hugs to all my girls,

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Hey, everyone!!! This summer has really started off beautifully. Today, we have perfect weather. I have been pulling weeds and working on getting the crud off of our deck. This weekend both kids were home, ds was back from grad school in Chicago and finished up there the middle of June. He will have a couple classes to take and then on to the CPA exam.

The puppies are amazingly sweet and friendly to those that they know. To others......they will bark. I posted my 9 to 16 week schedule on Facebook, to see responses and reactions. I am a very measured and timetable oriented person, when it comes to my puppies' schedules.

It is hard to believe that I am well into my 3rd year of Tamoxifen, and doing so well. Thank God.

Have a great day!!!

• trmtab
    trmtab Member Posts: 853
    Options

Michelle

I am just starting on Tamoxifen after 3 years on Arimidex and significant SEs.   I did 2 weeks at 5mg every other day and now am on 5mg every day for two weeks...easing on to try to avoid more SEs.  My Rx is for 10mg, so currently cutting the pills in half.  Are you taking 10???  or 20???  that you are okay without significant SEs.  TT

• claire_in_seattle
    Options

I am enjoying the endless summer days as noticed yesterday that it was just getting dusk at 9p. Glorious skies too. A bit behind on my cycling, but Sunday's ride showed that I really am getting stronger. Just a case of needing to do some distance at this point. The part that touches the bicycle seat is getting the message that things aren't going to get any better for a while.

Crazy busy with both a market research project and nonprofit consulting work. My goal is to feather my nest for the future to fund adventures and travel. Will let you know how this transpires. I have a couple more apartment items I would like to buy as well. My Subaru is in shock at all the love received recently in the form of vacuuming and car washes. Amazing how stuff collects in cars too!!!

Speaking of travel, I am headed to Los Angeles at the end of the month on business. I am taking a couple of extra days to explore the city which I have never had the chance to do. Realized that one of the things I need to experience is In-N-Out Burger. Not to mention people-watch.

Need to warn everyone about high-intensity flashlights. The new technology is super-bright, and I just got a USB charged bicycle headlamp. These things always need to be mounted to the handlebars, and each one is unique. I managed to shine it in my eyes while figuring this out. It was like a trip to the eye doctor and glaucoma drops. Fortunately, I recovered just fine after a few minutes, but seeing was tough for a bit. I will need to make sure that I angle it downward when I mount it.

Need to check in with my business partner, then prepare for a busy day at the nonprofit. I think beers later with a friend. 

Life is good, especially when you can enjoy a beer outside on the patio..... - Claire

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

On the Tamoxifen front, my prescription is for 10mg tabs x 2 per day. I don’t cut them in half. I am doing very well on them, with the support and knowledge that I gained from Claire in Seattle, and others. I feel great, but have to rest and get proper nutrition.

Claire, as always, you are an inspiration

• claire_in_seattle
    Options

Sharing a bit of fabulousness as in the La Perla silk bra I snagged on eBay that arrived today. Describing the sensation of silk against my skin would take me into the realm of soft porn.

Another win is that a neighbor commented tonight on how I have "lost weight". Well, not all that much, but this does tell me that all the cycling is paying off.

Glorious cool evening following a couple of hot days.

Onto free weights and dinner as have a couple of early AM conference calls. Need to check my fridge full of veggies....thinking beet greens as got them along with the beets at the market. Plus purple asparagus and some mushroom pilaf I made a few nights ago.

Life is good. - Claire

• claire_in_seattle
    Options

Been slammed with work and training for the Seattle-to-Portland, but finally got into Seattle yesterday to do a couple of errands and then have beers with my friend whose ex decamped to Spain to be with her flame a year ago. Ex now has a little girl.

My errands were buying some summer hose for my business trip ahead and snagging a pair of tailored trousers as most of mine are rapidly losing their fabulousness. I got a gorgeous pair of Akris Puntos. Stylish and comfortable. Major win and a reasonable price. Still need to figure out the 2 business outfits I will be wearing, but I have the bottom half nailed. I have also figured out the Los Angeles transit system so I should only need to do a couple of Uber rides.

The upcoming focus groups have required my ability to keep things moving while calming down the two people I am working closely with on this project: 1) the client whose butt is on the line as this is a new gig for him and 2) my business partner for whom every minor hiccup spells the end of the world. Yikes!!!

My friend is doing well. He loves his new gig and work colleagues, and has been able to pay off some of his debt (tax bill) with the goal of being totally done with debt one year hence. He is also doing a side project where he works to get the experience for the job he really wants which will pay more money and secure his future. (He is coming up on 40.)

The beer and brats were just delicious, with the brats being from one of the German sausage places in Pike Place Market. Amazing apple sauerkraut, and the mashed potatoes were equally yummy. I had an IPA and my friend had Kilt Lifter (named for the Utilikilts place - work kilts for men - down the street). Very Seattle and very fun.

One of the things we chatted about was resolution post divorce, something that has been a long time coming for me, but has happened over the past 6 months. I think my big achievement for this year. Fortunately, his was much sooner, and he and his ex both realize that their lives had gone in different directions. She wants to live on the edge; my friend enjoys his creature comforts and also being successful in his work and career. Oddly enough, it was my own success in my career that led to the downfall to my marriage.

I have a metric century ride tomorrow, and need to do about 25 miles today. I should be fine, and hoping that it's not too rainy tomorrow. I think I will swing by the market for strawberries and some more fresh peas. Otherwise dinner is made.

Really looking forward to my time in LA! Plus my ride tomorrow which will take me to new places on my bicycle. Life is good. - Claire

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Hi, everyone!!! I have been busy trying to get the Tamoxifen thread off of the ground. I am in my third year, and am doing fine. I found an agenda, that was undated and am setting my goals for the next 18 months. I will enter my 4th year of Tamoxifen next February. With the 18 month calendar, that will take me to the end of my 4th year and almost the beginning of my 5th year.

Claire, you are fabulous and I really appreciate you sharing your life with me and everyone else on this thread. You have been at this almost 10 years and are not just getting along, but maximally thriving. I so appreciate you as my friend. Your rides are really an inspiration, but we just don't have consistent weather this year to do much outside. We have endured torrential rain over the last 3 days. From rental property, to forrested land that we own, we have never seen so much water. I do envy you!!!

On the puppy front, I love them so, so much and they get groomed by their breeder this week. It will be a trip to St. Louis, but worth it. Thaddeus has learned to jump the interior gates 24" and the playyard 36". I had to tie a stretchy sheet across to keep him from getting out. I thought I was losing my mind the other evening, when he came upstairs and scratched on my door. Finally, I had to sleep on the couches with the dogs, until I was able to find a remedy. Last night, was their first night in the "shelter" / "playyard" / "prison" (as my son calls it.) I had to come downstairs when the strong thunder started. It woke them up, but did not scare them. I had been playing doggie spa music, which is very meditative for them. I plan to try the same tonight.

Hugs, from the soggy midlands,

• claire_in_seattle
    Options

Thank you for the tip to plan 18 months out which I think is what I need to do at this point. Because I want a different life next year going forward, and that will take planning. December 2020 is an excellent target.

I did the Metric Century yesterday which was in support of a cancer center. While buying a recovery IPA, I got the chance to chat with a woman who specializes is survivorship plans. She asked me about mine and I said: well, as chemo was ending, I had a chat with my oncologist to see if the plan I had put together made sense. I also mentioned that the time to start a survivorship plan is immediately following diagnosis for those of us fortunate enough to have good odds of long-term survival.

She was amazed that I had cycled throughout treatment, and I also mentioned that I didn't lose my core fitness.

In the interest of a longer term goal, I just booked a cycling holiday of Skye and the Inner Hebrides for August 2020. I have wanted to get back to Northwest Scotland for at least 2 decades. Cycling is the way to roll!!! Plus you get to eat whatever you want and emerge fitter and thinner. Or at least that is the plan.

Busy day ahead and then off to Los Angeles in the AM. - Claire

• claire_in_seattle
    Options

It's been a while but.....

• I got to Portland on my bicycle, so now 13 in a row
    • I succeeded in finishing up the first research project and now have a second one in the offing
    • I am about to get paid for the above
    • I have written a series of grant proposals which are now coming in
    • I booked my flight to London for October. Still need to book Airbnb for part of the trip.
    • Soon, I will have money in to fund my adventures
    • This coming weekend, I do the Tour de Lavender with a side trip the day before to the most NW spot of the Continental United States. I am camping as have learned that a tent is a perfect excuse NOT to take your computer. I will do the easy hike and forgo the adventure that almost did in my friend Carla a year ago. Sometimes, the more traveled road is the one to take.
    • Did "nephew duty" this past weekend, but nephew landed in the slammer as he tried to run away at the dog park. He still thinks I am the greatest auntie ever.
    • I did a hike near Mount Rainier with friends about 10 days ago and caught up. Though I fizzled towards the end as only a week after the Trip to Portland and my quads were talking to me big time. Got to see the Alpine bloom and my friends were enchanted with the whole experience.
    • About to snag a few fabulous rewards once I get the research monies in.
    • Did a wine dinner with friends from the East Coast. They are the coolest people, and it was all great fun. They loved the food, and especially the salads. It was worth the hangover pain the next day. (I can't do 15% ABV wine.) Still finishing up the food.
    • Finally....timing is everything in life. I understand that scheduling a haircut and facial the day before 3 nights in a tent isn't the best of timing. Will let everyone know how that one goes.
    More later. Summer is grand here. Warm but not hot. Still need to go swimming, but will do next week if I don't get a chance over the weekend. I have a salmon dinner booked for the end of the lavender ride. It's at one of the lavender farms, so should be great fun. And, I have vineyard camping plus a wine dinner on the calendar for Labor Day.

Life is good. (Other than I am working my tail off in between these adventures. Getting paid requires major work.) - Claire

• gkbuser
    gkbuser Member Posts: 300
    Options

it's been a while for me too. I guess that's good right? We're busy. Not a whole lot new for me still working at my same job. My big thing now is I've decided to let my natural hair come in. I don't want to be tied down to dye it every 3 to 4 weeks anymore. I'll try to post some pictures. Mom is slowly slipping. Still living at home independently but hasn't been able to drive in over 7 months. My sister in Indiana is pretty stressed. I try to go home more often but it's a difficult with my family here too. We need to get hospice set up. I think when my sister gets back from her trip to Colorado in December we're going to try to do that. Doctor says it's a go anytime from her standpoint. Mom just is very hesitant and does not like people coming into her house. But, if she wants to die at home which is her goal she's going to HAVE to do that. Big row between my older sister and my younger sister and as I have been my whole life I'm in the middle. Trying to keep the peace.

imageimage

• trmtab
    trmtab Member Posts: 853
    Options

A note from my gratitude journal...today is the fourth anniversary of my first surgery. Never realized until today that it was on the solstice...shortest day of the year, start of a new year (life), and that it has been that.

2019 is the first year in five without a surgery. I had five surgeries from 15,16,17,18....very grateful for a year with a “normal" life.

Happy winter to all. TT