Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

January 2017 Surgery Group

Options

Comments

• vargadoll
    vargadoll Member Posts: 1,942
    Options

Beachbabyk - I have not had a period in 13 months. They will do blood work next month to see "where I am"....where I am in not HAPPY! All of a sudden I have a pot belly! I have never had a belly. I'm a thick girl with lots of curves but no belly! I also am tolerating the tamoxifen well and do not want to change and start all over again...I am just whining you know we all do what we need to do!

• Shoregirl
    Shoregirl Member Posts: 338
    Options

Thanks Varga, I am now 12 days post epidural injection and I think the cortisone is finally kicking in!! I may just get that revision after all. I go to my ps feb 28. I can't speak to T side effects, but know that bellies grow a bit at menopause. Growing old gracefully...eh, what's that??

Annoynguterus/amazingboob, I love the Paris snow pic!! I hope you get answer to the spotting and its nothing more than perimenopause. To answer your q about how dx, its just a simple blood test :)

• vargadoll
    Options

Shoregirl - I feel like it's the "forced menopause " causing my potbelly! I am so afraid that my meds will be switched. I am not growing old gracefully! I am kicking and screaming! HAHAHA!.

Fingers crossed that your cortisone keeps working!

• annoyingboob
    annoyingboob Member Posts: 459
    Options

one year rads-versary! Congrats to anyone else celebrating this month. Hope you lovelies are doing well.

Xxxooo

• vargadoll
    Options

I just told myself this morning that I missed annoying boob! And you posted LOL hope you're doing well my friend today is CowboyUPS birthday and the day she started her Rad's last year.

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

Varga doll

• docmama
    docmama Member Posts: 126
    Options

Hi Annoyingboob! How is Par-ee? Miss you, lots going on with your BC buds here stateside as Vargadoll said.

• annoyingboob
    Options

Aww- send my love to everyone! I have to say my Facebook-free life has been refreshing, but I do miss you girls and hope everyone is plowing through!!

We had snow a few weeks back and it took my breath away, it was so pretty!!

• Mama2BC
    Mama2BC Member Posts: 8
    Options

Hey everyone! I don't come on here very often. I am sure this has been discussed in this group. I am FINALLY having fat grafting on May 2nd. Can anyone tell me what the recovery was like and how much time they took off work? Thanks everyone!!

• Shoregirl
    Options

Hi Mama2bc :) My experience with FG was that the donor sites were very tender for nearly 2 weeks, but only when touched like when getting dressed or whatever. It's not like I was in constant pain. I wore Spanx for 5 weeks. That really helped the discomfort and also helps your tissues to snap back in place. Even though it hurts to massage the donor sites, it is good to do so as it will help prevent fluid build up. I was up Christmas shopping 3 days post op. Good luck with your surgery!!

• annoyingboob
    Options

hi girls, I'm just checking in after another 6month followup mammo of my normal side. They took a bunch of extra views, so of course it was very stressful and my mind was racing the whole time. But they decided it was probably benign calcs and will keep an eye on it at the next mammo in 6 months which will be bilateral 2 years out from initial diagnosis. I'm not sure why, but I just want to get to 5 years - somehow I convinced myself that it's all downhill after 5 years.

Hope you all are doing well and that your follow ups are going smoothly and lymphedema is less bothersome. I love you ladies and feel like I'm surrounded by your support when I go in for these follow ups. I am forever grateful for you, my January 2017sisters. Xxxooo

• vargadoll
    Options

ANNOYINGBOOB!!!! I have so missed you! I'm getting my girls wheelchair fixed I'll check back in a few hugs to you!

• Elem
    Elem Member Posts: 246
    Options

hi Aboob,

Good to hear from you . Hope that the calcs stay b9 and do not become annoying.

Yes the 5 yr mark excites me too and my hope is that the anxiety of scans starts to ease.

We’ve come a long way and am so glad we all stay connected. It means the world to me to know we are always able to come here for support and love

💗💗

• Cowboy-Up
    Cowboy-Up Member Posts: 161
    Options

Good to hear from you Aboob. Things are going well for me. Heading to the Dominican Republic for my daughter's wedding in a week and a half. So excited

• Shoregirl
    Options

This thread has been quiet....I know there is a Facebook group but I rarely go to FB anymore. I hope everyone is doing well! Good to hear from you Aboob, I am glad your team believes the calcs are benign. I would have been anxious as well. From here on out, let's believe it is GONE!! Medicating

I am finally getting used to my implants. They don't bother me as much since we switched from Inspiras to Sientras. But I will be having a revision June 14 to downsize from 440cc to something in the 200 range (implants too heavy and big), do a lift on the left side, and a bunch more fat grafting in front of the implants. Other than that, I had my back surgery March 29 and am doing well, currently in PT. I am very glad I had the surgery, my quality of life is so much better already!!

• dcbc
    dcbc Member Posts: 122
    Options

Hi Ladies! ABoob, so good to hear from you!

Not too much new on my end... still on tamoxifen, still getting used to boobs 2.0... and still loving going braless :) I just discovered my blood pressure has been elevated since the surgeries... at first I though it was just the panic attacks, but at my recent visit to the internist discovered it is still elevated. Anyone else have this problem? I realize that from now on anything that goes awry will make me wonder if it is BC related... ugh.

Cowboy, how fun to have a wedding to look forward to! Congrats on your daughter's nuptials! My oldest just had her 21st birthday... boy they grow fast.

XO to you all... think of everyone very often... agree wtih ABoob that you have been -- adn continue to be -- a blessing, and tru sisters!

• vargadoll
    Options

Love reading all the post!

Annoyingboob -yesterday turned into a nonstop run after going to get the parts ordered for my girls stroller wheelchair. I thought I would make a quick Target run....hahaha! I over did it in there! Then what should have been a 20 drive home took a hour and 20 minutes! I had to hussle the rest of the evening!

Are you back in the USA? Good news that your care team thinks it's nothing to worry about. Then I have to say I worry about every thing now! I agree that the closer we get to the 5 year mark we will have a the feeling of peace! (At least a little) I'm not on tamoxifen anymore. I have blood work in March and I'm POST MENOPAUSAL..pissed me off!! I was still having periods every month until I started the tamoxifen. I was so angry. I didn't want another change but now I'm on Anastrozole and doing fine. The only SE I have noticed so far my fingernails have deep ridges and break real easy and my eye lashes are thinner. Of course the could be from the menopause. DCBC, my blood pressure was out the roof alot when I was on Tamoxifen. I would be 155/108 numbers like that. It was a constant thing but frequent. I have not had high numbers in 2 months so that makes me wonder of it was the tamoxifen. ..who knows but that's the only things that's changed.

Shoregirl- you have had a lot on your list! Glad the back surgery went well and you are adjusting to the new ta-tas!

Cowboyup -how exciting!!!! Please post pictures if you can! When my DD got married she was very pregnant (Shotgun wedding you should see the pictures! ) and they got married on April Fools Day. That girl has alway kept me guessing! I wish many years of happiness to your DD!

Elem- you always speak from the heart! It always a pleasure to read your post!

So much love to my Sisters!

Teresa

• docmama
    docmama Member Posts: 126
    Options

Good Morning Sisters! It's so good to see everyone checking in. I hope everyone is enjoying these hectic days (proms, graduations, etc).

Annoyingboob - always a treat to see an update from you! How is Paris?

Shoregirl - I hope you keep recovering from your surgery. The implants are a rollercoaster aren't they? Love/hate relationship with them here on my end.

dcbc - take care of the blood pressure! Does it run in your family? You may have been heading down the road to hypertension regardless of the BC.

Cowboy-Up - how exciting! Where is the wedding? I was born in the Dominican Republic and know the resorts down there well. Congratulations on your daughter's wedding, I hope it is a joyous occasion!

Elem - Yes, the 5 year mark is certainly something to look forward to. The time is flying by as always. I can't believe it's almost been 2 years since my diagnosis. I'm not sure when the clock starts ticking for us though. Is it from the time of diagnosis or the time of completion of chemo/treatment? I'll have to ask my MO next time I see him.

Vargadoll - always so sweet and positive! Everyone is your family should feel blessed to have you in their lives! Hugs to my Fitbit buddy!

As far as me, it's been all ups and downs. After being so excited to start on Nerlynx, I only lasted 5 days before landing in the hospital with appendicitis. I can't bring myself to starting it again, I was so miserable for those 5 days! Then about 3 weeks later I was convinced I had a bunch of lymph nodes at the base of my skull and neck. I ran to see my surgeon; it turned out to be a rash! A little embarrassing but such a relief. I think that was due to the Nerlynx as well. Then yesterday morning my little doggie passed away. We rescued him about 10 years ago and were never really sure how old he was. He developed heart failure late last year, and was on a lot of medication. I was woken yesterday at 4 am by the sound of his panting. He was in pulmonary edema and it was too late to do anything. My husband and I laid him down and just petted him and said soothing things to him until the little guy stopped breathing. So sad, but he was suffering more than we knew at the end.

We are in the process of remodeling part of our old 1942 house. Updated one of the bathrooms, added a closet. Lots of dust but I'm very happy with the results.

My kids will all be home from college by the end of the week. Time for soaring food, water and electric bills, but who's complaining? I love having them back home!!

Sorry for the long winded post, I guess I had a lot to get off my chest. Now I need to run and get dressed for work. My love to you all, I treasure the sharing we are able to do here. You guys understand me more than anyone else in the world! Hugs and kisses!

Angie
  • vargadoll
    Options

Annoyingboob- I MISS YOU!!!! Hope you are well and living life to the fullest.

• annoyingboob
    Options

hi varga!! I miss you too!!

I’m in the midst of a medical hiccup - I stopped my migraine meds and lexapro in January. I had been feeling really good and exercising so felt I was all clear. But since then, I got irregular periods, which turned into anemia. Was so exhausted I stopped exercising, and since then I’ve put on 30lbs - in just a few months!!! Then this week I can feel my gallbladder - I’ve never felt my internal organs before, lol, but I’m sure all this weight gain has it inflamed. So today I’m trying a grapefruit juice cleanse and hoping it goes away on it’s own. But I need to get this weight off ASAP!! I’m guessing I’m getting menopausal, and the shop is closing up, but sheesh!!! I just feel like a big fat blob. I’m tempted to go back on the pills, bc they really’ kill your appetite, but I just don’t like Taking medicine.

So that’s my little saga. Boobs getting big again bc weight gain. Going to spin class tonight and will try to get back to my 2hr/day exercise routine.

How are you? Lymphedema under control? How’s your girl? Is the pool all done so you can use it this summer?? Big kisses, thanks for checking in!!

Xo

Ab

• vargadoll
    Options

MY girl has had pneumonia again! That's 3 times in 7 months. She's bounces back every time and we have stayed out of the hospital but I've got to get a grip on the silent aspiration! I totally understand the weight gain and feeling miserable! I gained alot from May all the way to March. I was so tired all the time. Don't beat yourself up! Give yourself time to mend! We all had a rough year. The damn tamoxifen wrecked my body. I physically didn't have any real SE but it forced me into menopause and now I'm on Anastrozole. My LE has been better the passed 2 months which makes me wonder of the tamoxifen was keeping it flared up. What set backs I have had are due to me over doing it. The pool is finally almost finished! The railing is all that needs to be done and if the weather holds out it should be done this week. Are you back in the states? I sent you a card and got it back in the mail this week. I just wanted you to know I'm still cheering for you! Let me know how you are doing again soon!

• vargadoll
    Options

Annoyingboob- be careful with the grapefruit if your blood pressure is high. I was adding grapefruit essential oil to my water and didn't even think about my high BP. It was a duh moment. ..I knew better just wasn't thinking! You will feel better when you get back to your routine. I have been eating healthy since I started the Anastrozole and I finally have some energy after a year of feeling like a slug wondering when "I would be back" I'm almost back! You will.be to!

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

• vargadoll
    Options

imagethis one is before the cover was taken off.

Cover off and 74 degrees! image

• Shoregirl
    Options

Hey All! I thought I would check in, its been a while! I had my 6 month breast exam Friday. The suspicious linear mass I felt under the skin was checked by ultrasound. It was just a fold in the implant thank God!! The rythmic pain has gone, I suppose it was nerves regenerating. I used to get that feeling in my breasts before the MX when I had too much caffeine. Like a hot needle every few minutes. I have one more 6 month follow up and then I "graduate" to yearly exams instead of every 6 mos as I will be 2 years out.

I had a hiccup in my revision plans. My surgery was supposed to be June 14. My PCP had me take a stress test because I told her I had chest discomfort when I lay on my back. When I move to my side or sit up it goes away. So I did the test. The attendant told me I was way above average for exercise capacity than others in my age group. But 2 days before surgery, my PCP called me and said she couldn't clear me because I had "borderline ischemia". I was floored!!! I got in with a cardiologist the very next day, trying to save my surgery date. I told the PS office, and because she has gotten so busy, the pt coordinator filled my surgical appt with 4 office visits for other ladies. Cardiologist saw me and shook his head. Said he gets this all the time from PCPs trying to read stress tests. Said there is nothing wrong with me but did an EKG on the spot anyway. Of course it was normal. Said the discomfort would not go away if it was organ pain. My discomfort was likely musco-skeletal.

So I missed the surgery, but worse than that my PS office mgr decided to stop participating w/my insurance and I couldn't get another date with her before that took effect. I was really upset!!! All the stress of being told over the course of 2 days that I have a heart condition, I won't be cleared for the surgery, then being told I DON'T have a heart cond (phew!!), and then losing my surgeon. It really put me in a funk!!! But the PS was so sweet. She referred me to her dear personal friend and colleague, another female PS who practices over at Johns Hopkins. She called her and gave her the details of what we had done and what was planned and I have an appt to meet her July 5. It is an 85 mile one way trip but worth it to me to have a female PS who is on board with my desires.

I hope all are well and enjoying your summers!! Anyone else have checkups lately or soon?

• vargadoll
    Options

Shoregirl - so glad to see you!! Have you had time to catch your breath yet???? What a relief to hear that you do not have a heart issue! What a difference a day makes!! What a good doctor to get you set up with someone she knows. Sending good vibes for an easy transition ti the new plastic surgeon. My hospital system went out of network with BCBS for 3 months is was a nightmare! I was still having many appointments and had cellulitis during that time. I had sign all the continuity of care papers but apparently they got missed filed. I'm still trying to get some of the bills worked out. Like my cellulitis, all my tests for December 14th that bill totals $840+! The hospital system went back into network with BCBS December 15th!

I see my oncologist every 3 months. I go this Tuesday. I saw my radiation oncologist on Thursday. Not planned. That's who follows my LE and I got stung by some ugly little bug on my LE arm and chest. That happened on Monday. By Thursday I had an orange peel feeling rash under my skin from my chin all the way down my body to my ankles. I'm on antibiotics for 10 days...sigh this LE has been a HUGE issue for me! April and May were the 2 best months I have had since this storm started! Then came June...I had not had a period in 17 months. Oncologist did blood were in March those results were post menopausal. Stop Tamoxifen go on Anastrozole. I have lost 13 pounds and have loads of energy! Then...I started spotting and more blood work was ordered the results were perimenopausal! So stop Anastrozole and go back on Tamoxifen! The spotting lasted 15 days and that earned me a pelvic exam, a pap smear, transvaginal ultrasound and a endometrial biopsy. I should have the results of the endometrial biopsy next week. I feel like it's fine because I have no symptoms of any kind of a problem. Just the spotting for 15 days and my oncologist referred to that as a period...my PCP said we are going to be proactive and check everything. What a journey this has been. When I look back on the night I got my diagnosis I immediately started to Google search any info I could find on BC and I found BCO and this thread of the amazing women. What a blessing to not have to walk this alone and have someone understand what we feeling or fearing.

Hugs to you and good vibes for easy recovery and 100% satisfaction when you are done with surgeries!

Teresa

• Bevmomduck
    Bevmomduck Member Posts: 91
    Options

Mercy, you two! If we could just stop all these after affects and go back to the “old life". Oh wait, that one had cancer - never mind.

I guess it keeps us aware of what we DO have and what we DON'T have. Even though I can't pretend I've had the best attitude of late......

But don't get me started on insurance! 🙄😂.

Love to you all and hope summer enjoyment is being had by all. I got to experience the event below this weekend - nothing like a happy baby and baby booty!

• vargadoll
    Options

Bevmomduck- oh my goodness!! I love some cute baby booty!!! How precious is your little one! Baby Charlee is one now and she is a fireball! My Chance is still the cutest!! He is 3 and the others are growing up so fast. My oldest grandson is 12 and just made jazz band at school. We are so proud of him!! The girls are 11, 9 and 7. I don't get to see the 9 and 7 often and the 11 y/o

would stay with me if she could. I should have answers this week from all my test. I'll check back on soon. Life is so good and my blessing by far out weigh the crap!

Not sure why that picture loaded in the middle?!?! The pool is finished!

• Shoregirl
    Options

Varga and Bev, thanks for your support! :) Varga that bug must have been some kind of nasty!! I do hope the rash isn't itchy or painful and it gets cleared up quickly! It is so weird how the body can get thrown into menopause and then reversed to perimenopause by those drugs. Praying for good reports on your testing! I had triple neg dcis so no chemo, rads or hormone treatment for me, just surgery. But a lot of them!! My hair is thinning a lot especially around the front and side hairline. I am guessing it is from either all the anesthesia of 4 surgeries in 15 months or the stress of my body healing or a combination but I don't like it!!! I gave up chemical hair color and now use pure henna and cassia and natural shampoos & conditioners trying to save what I can. Thinking about going and getting it cut into a bob so it doesn't look so stringy but I have been wanting to grow it long since before this ordeal. It is just about to my back bra strap and the first time it has been longer than shoulder length since I was 12!!

You are right though Varga, life IS GOOD and the blessings outweigh the crap!! Bevmomduck, your picture of that sweet little baby just soothes the soul. What a cutie!!! It is a wonderful photo, bet it would win a contest!! Varga, the pool is absolutely lovely, so inviting!! Have fun with the babies and grands!! My dear daughter and 2 granddaughters arrive on July 5 for a long weekend. Going to take them to get their toes in the sand at Ocean City, MD for some much needed R&R!! My daughter works so very hard as a single mom and has just bought her first home, gotten yet another promotion at United Healthcare and is the best little mommy in the world!! Her littlest angel just turned 3 on June 23, born on her pretty mama's birthday!!!

• vargadoll
    Options

Shoregirl - your girls are gorgeous!!! You will be enjoy your time with them at the beach!

I got the results from my test today and I'm good! It's not cancer! The rash is just on my arms and chest now it's slowly going away. It itches on the back of my neck occasionally. I know there are essential oils that are recommended to stimulate hair growth. I will look when I get home and let you know.

• Mama2BC
    Mama2BC Member Posts: 8
    Options

Hey friends! In 05/2016, I was diagnosed with stage II, grade B (I know my profile says A), triple positive breast cancer. I had a lumpectomy, followed by chemo, bilateral mastectomy (in 01/2017), radiation and completed Herceptin in 08/2017. I did have cancer in 2 of my lymph nodes, which were removed but have not had any issues with lymphadema. In 01/2018 I had my expanders switched out for implants and in 05/2018 I had fat grafting surgery. About 2 weeks ago, I noticed slight pain on my rib. It feels like maybe I pulled something. Or maybe bruised it. It is located on the side on my original right breast, breast cancer. It is to the right of my right breast. The pain area begins begins just below my breast, but slightly to the right of the breast. It's my 2 inches of "pain." I don't even know if pain is the right word. It's not a constant feeling. It's when I reach certain ways, or sleep on my side or when I press on it. Which, of course, I do often now because I am paranoid. I contacted my oncologist and he recommended I put a heating pad on the spot for a week. I am on day 5. Still having the sensation. Side, note, the heating pad caused me to get a little burn on breast. Oops. Skin sensitivity after radiation. This is all I can think about this week. I am not having any other symptoms or pain anywhere else. I would say I over the summer I started a new heart burn medication and noticed some dizziness and irritability and maybe feeling anxious. I stopped that about a month or so ago and the dizziness is much better. Still anxious. I've never really been an anxious person. Maybe that just comes with going through something like this. I'm sure being anxious and irritable has nothing to do with this "pain," I'm describing. Anyway, just trying to give all of you the full picture. Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks!!

• vargadoll
    Options

Mama2BC- I did not have all the surgeries that you did so I'm not help there. What I will say is ot sounds like cording to me. I have had constant cording since my lumpectomy is February 2017. I recently just had cording from my ribs to my bellybuttom (all from a colonoscopy ) I didn't even know you could have cording there. Apparently it's anywhere in the quadrant of your body where you have the lymph node biopsy. What makes me think cording is you said when you sleep a certain way or reach. My cording would wake me up at night it wasn't really painful just annoying. Heat and ice will not help you need to stretch it out. It would be worth it to see a certified lymphedema therapist see if you can get your doctor to make you a referral. Hope that helps! I get freaked out about everything! You're in good company hope you feel better