Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

January 2017 Surgery Group

Options

Comments

• vargadoll
    vargadoll Member Posts: 1,942
    Options

Leftcoastie, be sure to get a fancy little umbrella in that drink! Sorry you are having to stay another night but that is a long drive if you need to get back to the hospital.

BeachBabyK, I hope the wire thing is quick and not terribly painful. I'm having it done at the office then driving to the hospital with it...yikes! So I will be waiting anxiously to see how you did.

Fightgirl, you are so right....GIRLS....WE GOT THIS!

sending love, vibes for quick recovery and good reports!

• vargadoll
    Options

Docmama, what a blessing to have your husband hand pick part off the team! Sounds lik you have a great plan in place for your healing time. Enjoy the time and support of yiur family.

you got this!

• docmama
    docmama Member Posts: 126
    Options

Thanks guys! Trying to decompress and get to bed, but I have to take a Hibiclens shower tonight and first thing tomorrow morning. Can't imagine how I'll ever fall asleep. I guess there's plenty of time to sleep over the next few days though! Good Luck to all the 1-sixers!

I'll check back in as soon as I'm able. I had forgotten to mention that my plastic surgeon said there is a chance that I might be able to get direct implants (bypassing expanders completely). He said it depends on the "quality" of my skin. I asked him if he could tell by just looking at my skin and he said no. I guess it depends on how much fat the breast surgeon is able to leave behind. The PS will have both implants and expanders in the OR with him, and the surprise will be on me when I regain consciousness. I'd much rather get the direct implants, but don't want to get too excited about it in case the tissue expanders win. Ugh.

• Cowboy-Up
    Cowboy-Up Member Posts: 161
    Options

Lumpectomy and reduction on 1/2

• Cowboy-Up
    Cowboy-Up Member Posts: 161
    Options

I'd like to be added to the list. Jan 17, lumpectomy with bilateral reduction Thanks

• Alli
    Alli Member Posts: 34
    Options

Glad to hear that the Jan surgery girls that have checked in are doing well thus far. It settles my nerves a bit. Have to arrive at 6:30 at the hospital so I'm first case of the day.

I had a very brief booby pitty party tonight but then reminded myself that they have turned on me twice now and I'm not giving them another chance.

Good luck to you all going into surgery tomorrow. I think I'm going to borrow the beach bungalow happy thought as I roll into the OR :)

Best wishes to all!

• Elem
    Elem Member Posts: 246
    Options

Good Luck tomorrow

- Docmama

- Fightingirl

- Alli

- Marimucho

Dlh17

Beachbabyk

Wishing you all the best and a smooth recovery . Touch base as you can . We are all with you in spirit. We've got this!

• BeachBabyK
    BeachBabyK Member Posts: 148
    Options

DocMama- I sure hope that you wake up with beautiful new boobs instead of expanders! Hope to hear from you tomorrow, but if you are too tired, just check in when you can.

Vargadoll - Wire thing at the office??? You are brave! Hopefully, it's no big deal!

Fightingirl - Unfortunately, they have me arriving 3 hours early for the wire, dye, and images, so I won't be able to be under. I'll just close my eyes and dream of the beach and my fruity drink with the umbrella!

Alli - That's early! But I always like being the first slot of the day... No chance of being behind schedule and the Dr should be wide awake, right?!

Marimucho & dlh17- Don't forget to check in when you are able! 13 of us will be through surgery by this weekend! Then we'll be back here to support the next group of 5 for next week!

• Fightingirl
    Fightingirl Member Posts: 328
    Options

yep, here we go sixes! The 4th and 5th bravely did this and we will too.welcome cowboy up.

Alli, booby pity parties are okay. I stared at my left one in the mirror today as I know it won't look the same tomorrow. Stick with those happy thought and by the end of the month we'll all need virtual liver transplants from all our virtual fruity drinks.

docmama, I hope you wake up with the best scenario! I too am headed to so my hibiclens right after this.

See you all around the bungalows and serene blue waters. Ahhhh...I may really have to go there after this! Much love to you all you sisters!

I will check in as soon as I can tomorrow and hoping to feel like elem (but no laundry for me😁

• dlh17
    dlh17 Member Posts: 4
    Options

You ladies are all so encouraging! Thanks! I'm showered & shampooed...wiped down with chlorhexidine. Surgery is in the afternoon. I know I can do this. I read each of the posts am strengthened. Warm and healing thoughts to all

• annoyingboob
    annoyingboob Member Posts: 459
    Options

greetings from post op! I had 3 lumpectomies and bilateral reduction this afternoon. I didn't faint, so yay me!!! Feeling very proud. The surgery was about 4 hours. All the nurses have been amazing. Throat a bit sore from intubation, but ice chips helped. And I brought some chapstick which I recommend you do too!

The pain is manageable. I took codeie 5 hrs ago, and I'll hold out another hr for more. A bit of a headache right now. Ive been able to get and use toilet. Will spend night and go home tomorrow.

All my best wishes for the ladies going in tomorrow. The island visualization was useful and I'm saving your seats at the bar for fruity drinks when you are done! Cheers m'dears!!

• 3bears
    3bears Member Posts: 161
    Options

Wow! 6 of us are going today and three of us went yesterday. I'm look forward to hearing from everyone. What ever happened to windchimed?

Leftcoastie-- I'll be in the cabana with you girls in a few days. Feel better.

Mary

• annoyingboob
    Options

me again, writing from hospital bed. Sore throat from intubation. I recommend you girls bring some throat lozenges with you!!

I brought books but didn't need them. Mostly trying to sleep but leg compressors make it hard. Boob pain ok but big headache, I'm guessing from anesthesia. He did give me a scopolamine patch preanesthesia, and I recommend that too to diminish nausea.

I also brought a little hat to keep me warm in bed and putt it over my eyes to sleep. Glad I had it.

Good luck today!! The fruity drinks are waiting for you!! I'll keep a lookout for you floating in the calm se of anesthesia. It's peaceful, don't be scared.

Xx

• docmama
    docmama Member Posts: 126
    Options

Good morning all! Waiting in admitting to be taken to the breast center for sentinel node mapping. Hubby is nervous, but I'm fine (so far, lol). My main worry is that I forgot to pencil in my eyebrows this morning! Lost them and most of my lashes to chemo, as well as every other hair on my body. Oh well, it's the first of many uncomfortable moments I'll probably see today. Good luck to my fellow sixer sisters

• Fightingirl
    Fightingirl Member Posts: 328
    Options

good mornin! I'm feeling strangely calm and have about another hour before we head to the hospital. It was sure a breeze getting ready this morning since you literally cant do much but shower!

Do mama, no worries about those brows! I'm sure you look beautiful!

Annoyingboob, I hope that headache goes away soon and already counting down until we have that drink!

I was wondering about win chimed too... let's hope we hear from her soon.

Okay six sisters, grab my hand and let's go do this. ❤️️❤️️❤️️❤️️

• Elem
    Elem Member Posts: 246
    Options

In awe of all you sexy sixers going through it today. Lots of love and hugs coming at you before, during and after .

This community is what got me through this place I would never have imagined , all of you have given so much support and healing vibes , I cannot imagine going through this without y'all. I am grateful for each and every one of you brave and courageous women. 🌈

• vargadoll
    Options

You girls are my super heros!

Fightingirl, glad you are calm and ready to go! It has been 7 years since I have not gotten up and put my makeup on. Damn it's hard for me to be a girly girl without it.

Docmama, I assume I will find out about the Hibiclens shower soon. I hope you wake with beautiful perky boobs to!

Ali, glad you are doing well so far. To think your own breast would turn on you twice, yep time to take charge! Pity partys are ok and sometimes necessary. Now kick that stuff to the curb like a useless man!

Beachbabyk, I know right! Why do I have to do the wire at the office! I should have never let them see how tough I was with the biopsies. I should have cried like a man with a cold!

Marimuch and dlh17, do let us know you guys are recouping and are ready for the fruity drink with the umbrella at the beach side bar!

Elem called you ladies sexy sixer she got it right! You all are in my thought and heart today. You are my lifeline now. Crazy how I feel so attached to you all so quickly! My cancer is still a secret with my family. A few close friends know and YOU BEAUTIFUL SOULS!

MUAH, SMACK, XXXX!

• Bevmomduck
    Bevmomduck Member Posts: 91
    Options

So helpful to find this community of strong fighters! This morning my chiro said,"I consider it an honor to join you in this battle". So very dear, that man.

This waiting 😣🙄😳 - right now I'm waiting for insurance permission for PET scan before we can put BMX on calendar. Work helps, but I don't enjoy being the "one" (literally the 1% but whatever) who you know they're shaking their heads about when I leave......

• BeachBabyK
    BeachBabyK Member Posts: 148
    Options

Ok got to the Breast Center a half an hour early (that's just me). Went in for a mammogram (to be used for wire and dye placement) but they couldn't find the clip that was supposed to be placed at the biopsy. Sent me for an ultrasound, no luck there either. I was told that they don't think it was placed properly during the biopsy and it was caught during my first MRI but no one listened to the radiologist that said they needed to place another one. Oy! Well, they did their best and placed the wire and did the dyed injection then I got another mammogram to make sure everything was ok. Should be heading to the surgery center soon!

Good luck my fellow patients!

• vargadoll
    Options

GEEZH! that's like a you had ONE JOB moment! Hope they got it right on the marker

BeachBabyK....YOU GOT THIS!

It's 25 degrees here with a winter watch warning. ..snow is on the way but in my heart we are all at that beach bungalow with our fancy umbrella drinks kissing cancer ass good bye!

• PugsMama
    PugsMama Member Posts: 337
    Options

Thinking that all this week's girls are done or almost done! What a strong courageous bunch of women we are, eh ladies?

I want to repeat what I wrote yesterday, when you wake up from the surgery, all the anxiety & stress will be lifted. You will feel RELIEF to be getting the cancer out of your body and you will look at the surgery as life-giving. I even had the courage to take a peek at my new teenage bumps under the surgical bra & they didn't look too bad (too bad the rest of me doesn't look like a teenager LOL!).

Don't expect to get any sleep in the hospital & bring ear plugs. All night, they're either coming in to take your BP, or emptying your drains, or you have to go to the bathroom,& those leg compressors are non-stop. I swear mine had a little horn that blew every time they inflated!

I slept 12 hours last night after I got home I was so exhausted.

My pain is non-existent except for this surgical bra. I can tell that is going to become pretty annoying. It's so tight, but my PS said I could loosen it now & then for a little relief.

So this is all I have to do for the next couple of weeks: empty my four drains once a day & that's it! No wound maintenance, nothing to do with the dressings, leave the surgical bra alone. Bummer is I can't shower for two weeks, yuck, I can handle the sponge baths but DH is going to have to wash the hair at some point! also, I can't lift my arms straight up over my head for a couple of weeks. No exercise. A prescription for laziness yay!

So this morning I got up and emptied my drains without fainting! Victory! For laying around in bed, I made my own hospital gown of sorts, took one of my DH's enormous tee shirts and cut it straight up the middle of the back just to the neckline (left that intact). Easy to get on & off and having the back open is more comfortable for me.

They pinned the drains to the surgical bra (I have two on each side) but these tubes are hanging all over the place...I feel like one of the ghosts who come to visit Scrooge in "A Christmas Carol." LOL

I'm in absolutely no pain if you can believe that! It may be because my TEs were inserted above my pectoral muscle instead of underneath it.. Doing OK with just Tylenol now and then. I also had an "anesthesia headache", it's finally starting to lift. The headache could have also been from the pain killer drip.

Has everyone checked in? Win-chimed might just be getting home today & I don't expect to hear from Maya because she had a DIEP & is probably still in ICU. Hopefully they're doing OK.

To everyone in the queue, you're going to do great! We've got this!!! Looking forward to hearing everyone check in. Am praying for all of you!!!

Back to my beach chair with my umbrella drink......

xoxo

Liz

• 3bears
    Options

I love the strength I'm getting from you women. Strength only we can know. It helps calm my fears so much! I do not feel alone. Monday I go see PS . He's going to draw on me. I'm going to ask him to make me beautiful for my husband. I want so much to be beautiful for him. Annoyingboob-- thanks for the advice about the lozenges. I'm packing my bag a little at a time. So far I have my cow slippers and 2 baggies of goodies to give my kids when they visit. I hate headaches! I hope yours goes away right away!

Five of us are going next week. How do you five feel? I'm glad we have so many " sisters" paving the way for us and waiting with a umbrella drink by the calm tourquoise waters

• annoyingboob
    Options

cheers to you pugsmama! The fruity drink makes my sore throat from the intubation feel better, lol.

Congrats to all who had interventions this week. Starting 2017 in our new bodies!! I wish you all health and happiness. It's such a pleasure going through this together.

And for those later in the month - hang in there!! The waiting is by far the hardest part. Starting lorazepam a few days ahead helped my mind racing and they gave me a little Valium right before surgery which made me calm. You got this girls!!!

Xx

• Goincrzy8
    Goincrzy8 Member Posts: 79
    Options

If any ladies are Plus size I have Gentle touch Mastectomy camisole I will be placing on the free board. Size XX-large. PM your address if interested, I wore only to Dr appointments until drain came out. Has 2 FOOBS, and pockets for drains.

• PugsMama
    Options

3bears: you are beautiful, inside & out! If your DH is like mine, all he cares about is that you're healthy, & you will be! Your frame of mind is going to be fabulous on Monday when your surgery is over! you won't believe it! what are you doing this weekend?

• vargadoll
    Options

You girls are amazing! Pugsmama, fabulous news! Glad you are doing so well. WooHoo for teenage healthy boobs! Annoyingboob, you are lead cheerleader! The waiting is horrible! I could have had my surgery as early as January 2nd but needed time to prepare.

I'm having a lumpectomy and truly don't know what to expect! Will I have drain tubes? Will I need any reconstructive surgery? When can I raise my arms? When can I lift over 100lbs?

I got my surgery packet in the mail today and I still havent told anyone.

• vargadoll
    Options

You girls are amazing! Pugsmama, fabulous news! Glad you are doing so well. WooHoo for teenage healthy boobs! Annoyingboob, you are lead cheerleader! The waiting is horrible! I could have had my surgery as early as January 2nd but needed time to prepare.

I'm having a lumpectomy and truly don't know what to expect! Will I have drain tubes? Will I need any reconstructive surgery? When can I raise my arms? When can I lift over 100lbs?

I got my surgery packet in the mail today and I still havent told anyone.

• 3bears
    Options

PugsMama- ---You are so encouraging! Thanks for sharing your whole story. I was wondering how all that is going to work. I think I'll finish nesting ( paying bills, cleaning) this weekend so on Monday I can just relax after getting drawn on by PS. I'm looking forward to getting this nasty cancer out of my body!!

• PugsMama
    Options

Vargadoll....but we all know & we're all here supporting you! There are quite a few lumpectomy sisters going before you so you'll have the benefit of their experience. Don't know if you've checked out "lumpectomy lounge" topic on this website. I haven't but I know some of our gals have & have found it helpful...xox

• Maya15
    Maya15 Member Posts: 112
    Options

Hello everyone,

I got home last night from the hospital. The surgery I had was "stage 2" of the DIEP reconstruction, so it's much easier than the first stage where they transplant the abdominal tissue to make the breasts. Yesterday they did fat grafting to make the final breast shape, nipple reconstruction, scar revision and liposuction in the flanks, the whole abdomen and the pelvis. The lipo sure looks good. I can't see the breasts yet because they are covered in dressings that I have to keep on until my post-op on Tuesday. No drains this time thank god.

I ended up staying in the recovery room for 10 hours. I had a major allergic reaction to an abdominal binder they put on me and had terrible itching and rashes everywhere. They gave me a benadryl injection that didn't work, then another drug that did work but made me sleep the entire day. Between that and the painkillers I had a good night's sleep too. Apparently these binders were new and there were 3 other patients also having the same allergic reaction to it, so the nurses were having to do an official report. Today the pain is manageable with the oxycodone. It feels like I have big bruises everywhere from pelvis to shoulders.

3bears, you were asking about the DIEP. Even before this surgery, I was really happy with the results. The breasts look and feel totally natural. I opted for DIEP because I didn't want the risk of complications (infections etc) that go with implants and I am in my 30s and didn't want to have to do extra surgeries every 10 years to replace them. Also, I am not working at the moment (because of the cancer treatment), so the long recovery time up front was ok for me. The tummy tuck is a nice side-benefit. I did have a complication, which is the abdominal incision reopened. Because of the chemo, I had delayed healing. So I had to have an extra surgery a month ago to fix that. It's been a really long road but I think my breasts are actually going to look better than the originals!

Leftcoastie, absolutely the right decision to stay an extra night. I did that too after my first mastectomy, and I really recommend not leaving the hospital until your pain is controlled with whatever pain meds they are sending you home with. It's much harder to get their attention once you're back home.