Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

My Husband, My Life, My Love, My Family, My Cancer

Comments

• sondraf
    sondraf Member Posts: 1,679
    edited April 2023

Happy birthday Pat! I hope Sadie served YOU for once :P

• sondraf
    edited April 2023

I like all these discussions about books and tv shows. Ive been watching Mary Tyler Moore show because its easy to turn on and relatively short/I dont have to think. Some of the outfits actually aren't that bad, which makes me wonder about the return of avocado green in the future. She had such a cute apartment (set) but seriously, did she really have to put the fold away in the couch every morning? Yuk. Maybe Ill start Cheers when Im done with this - was too young to get it the first time around.

I had to recently stop reading a book called Ministry for the Future because I was finding it too depressing about climate change.

Looking forward to season 4 of Barry and season 2 of Severance. Gave up on Succession (to slow) and Ted Lasso (even the leads seem bored).

• tanya_djamila
    tanya_djamila Member Posts: 1,535
    edited April 2023

Good morning ladies

Congrats on stable Goldens and Mel.

Happy birthday 🎂 Sadieservant hope you enjoyed the dinner.

Mel I was in Chester and kennett square. I drove back to last long island last week and spent a few days reconnecting with my two sisters packing reminiscing and laughing a lot. Going home today.

Tanya

• eleanora
    eleanora Member Posts: 299
    edited April 2023

Dear Pat

Happy Birthday wishes for a pain-free future with lots and lots of birthday cakes!

Eleanora

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,447
    edited April 2023

I was a huge Star Wars fan. The original trilogy are my favourites, the prequels had some wooden dialogue but enjoyable as well. When Disney bought Star Wars, I stopped loving those movies that came from Disney except Rogue One and Solo. The TV star wars was hit and miss. Now, I tend to like the english mysteries, love Agatha Raisin and Hamish Macbeth as well, read all the books, Stephen King shows are good and The boys on prime. That show is super violent but fun.

I am debating a bus trip to the mall for two reasons, will give me a walk and I can purchase eggs. I was going to have groceries delivered but still have a lot to work through. I am thankful for the cooler weather as my apartment was uncomfortably warm, even with all my fans going. I also need to do 2 rounds of PT, soon will have weights added to individual exercises.

I am also doing a mass amount of laundry as well, got new clothes and bike shorts to wear with flowy shirt in the summer as well as white capris. Plan for those are wash wand only and hang dry. Huge amount of recycle going out when it is time, I don't have enough things to reuse so recycled they will be, huge blue bags going out with cardboard and the rest. Garbage night as well though not as much to throw out.

I ate pizza hut melts yesterday, had a caesar dip. It tasted good but even with an enzyme, caused some problems in lower digestive tract so will cross those things off my list of what to eat.

I am going to have something with beans, spinach and cheese chopped up with some noodles and combined with some canned meat I have, I want to get some of that used up. That should fill me up and allow me to get to the mall earlier this morning provided the rain is not heavy.

• dodgersgirl
    dodgersgirl Member Posts: 1,902
    edited April 2023

Happy Birthday to Sadiesservant!!

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723
    edited April 2023

Sondraf, that's funny because I was watching Mary Tyler Moore, too! I didn't like the later episodes when she moved into a new apartment. Isn't Betty White funny? I love Edward Asner. I haven't thought about Cheers in a long time. Was never into it that much. Maybe I should give it another try.

Pat, I hope your birthday was wonderful!

I bought a new water pitcher yesterday. It was recommended by the Gin Stephens who wrote Fast, Feast, Repeat and Delay, Don't Deny. Anyway she was talking about this water filter pitcher called "Zero." I looked it up and ordered a little tester thingy first. I measured my tap water, the water through the refrigerator door, and then the water in my Brita pitcher. The tap water had a reading of 294 ppm, the Brita pitcher was 212 ppm and the refrigerator (can't get to the filter and it's old) was 269 ppm.

So the Zero pitcher came yesterday, and it really does filter everything out down to a reading of 000. The pitcher came with a filter, so I could compare the two of them. They were within 001 ppm. I think the water tastes better. It's a little more inconvenient to get the pitcher out of the fridge, but I'll figure something out. Someone on the Delay, Don't Deny community commented that the filtered water was helping to reduce their inflammation. I don't know. We're all a study of one, right?

Sorry for the ramble.

Carol

• sadiesservant
    sadiesservant Member Posts: 1,875
    edited April 2023

Thanks for the birthday wishes everyone. It was a pretty quiet, laid back day but I took the time to relax, forgetting about my long “to do” list which never seems to shrink. Dinner was tasty and thankfully the probiotics seem to be keeping the nausea from the antibiotics at bay. Thank goodness. I can cope with pain but constant nausea wears me down.

I’m venturing out for dinner with friends tonight. It’s really the first time in months that I’ve been in a restaurant. I have mixed feelings as I tire so easily but I think it’s good for me to get out. I’ve tried to choose clothes to cover up my bags but don’t know if it will be 100% successful. People will just have to deal with it (I have cotton sleeves to fit them into so at least the actual bags won’t be visible). These friends don’t know the full extent of my situation and I haven’t seen them for over a year so they may be a bit taken aback. Hope I’m not a damper on the evening. Just going to try to be normal! 🤪

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 10,050
    edited April 2023

enjoy Sadie I enjoyed lunch out with DH after oncologist appointment at Carabbas. It was also the first time I'd been out to a restaurant in years. I dont even remember when. I had a nice time and got my favorite meal from that place. It was nice to celebrate a stable scan. He said I am the record holder for taking ibrance. In his practice. He was all smiles saying how good I'm doing. I said to him then Why do I feel like someone's rear end. ??? He smiled and said. He was sorry but he knows what the scans a bloodwork says. He fist pumped me and said keep going! He gave me permission to have my gallbladder taken out should I decide to do it.

• goldensrbest
    goldensrbest Member Posts: 721
    edited April 2023

Mel and Sadie - glad to hear that you were able to enjoy a restaurant meal. One of life’s little pleasures.

Mel - how is your sister doing

• micmel
    edited April 2023

she’s going through radiation now, 30 straight days ( except weekends). She fighting the fight alongside of us. We still can’t believe we both have cancer. We are still shocked. Thanks for asking Goldens. I hope you’re doing well.

• denny10
    denny10 Member Posts: 421
    edited April 2023

Huurrah for Stable Mabel Micmel !

Pleased to hear Sadiesservant and Micmel are getting to restaurants. I went out on Sunday for brunch with a friend. It was good to get out, but the restaurant changed their menu. My favourite; pancakes, bacon and maple syrup had gone! I had another type of pancake but it was so diappointing, luckily we could both enter the olympics for chattering, so I was distracted and had a lovely time.

Best wishes to everyone staying in or going out.

• mara51506
    edited April 2023

Glad you had a nice brunch with your friend Denny, always good to have those.

I am mall walking, PT throughout the day at home. Doing it a bit at a time. Have to learn to fit it in with surveys and other things for some cash. I missed a couple of days but can make it up. I need the mall to get eggs at Walmart. Missing my egg dishes.

Laundry in progress, recycle stuff going out as well. Boiling up some chicken dogs as a protein source next, they are cheap, easy to grind up and pair well with beans. Not sure what breakfast is looking like yet. I am thinking of ground chicken dog that has been precooked by me, beans and wheatbran as well, get dressed and head to the mall. I also need to try my micro pancakes as well, loving them but the need to be a dessert like the chocolate peanut butter melts. Plain pancakes though I think.

• sadiesservant
    sadiesservant Member Posts: 1,875
    edited April 2023

Well, I won’t deny that it took some effort but I had a lovely time last night. I didn’t do justice to my meal as I made the mistake of ordering a filling, rich appetizer and then suddenly felt a bit sick partway through my main course. But no major crises - boxed the leftovers and then forgot to take them 🙄 - and it was wonderful to have a good visit with friends. As I think I mentioned, these folks don’t know my diagnosis so I’m not sure if they were taken aback at all by how thin I have become. If they were, they didn’t let on so I got to feel like a normal person.

Stomach a bit unhappy this morning but that too has thankfully passed. Sadie’s at camp today so I’m contemplating what I want to accomplish while I have a bit of peace. Love her to bits but she’s like Velcro with me these days…. 😊.

• micmel
    edited April 2023

Hello ladies ~today was a rest day for me. I didn’t realize how tired I was from all of the appointments I had done In the past few weeks including the ER. So I napped for a while. Now I have to figure out dinner. Hope all is good for everyone today. Less pain less anxiety less stress!!!!

• mara51506
    edited April 2023

Shorter night for me, finding that I fall asleep in the early evening without realizing it on the couch while watching something and wind up in bed by 2 or 3. I still consider that my full night sleep though.

It is nice out today, debating just walking up to no frills up the street to get my steps in and PT a couple of times, been liking doing the pages one at a time per hour til done. Laundry is going but not the mountain I had before, wanting to wash my new pretty blue and white almost tie dyed looking flowing shirt with my white legging capris. After I pay off my Amazon haul this time, planning to order jeggings as well, found they are inexpensive and I miss my jeggings. Can't do pants as my hips are wide and waist smaller which makes for gaps when wearing regular pants.

I only need eggs and chicken stock which I enjoy as a seasoning. We are warming up a bit and then fall back down. Snowed a tiny bit yesterday, thought it was funny. I am putting bits of money on my bus pass. I don't use it enough but just having some to pay for trips works well.

Thinking that I might use my last fettucine to mix with the ground chicken dogs, that might be good and then have another meal of hash browns and something else, thought about making eggs, not scrambled mixed with hash browns in the sandwich maker too. We will see.

• micmel
    edited April 2023

Mara~ it was so chilly here the past two days the heater went back on. I woke up freezing. It’s crazy how the weather has been up and down here too. I just door dashed some chicken noodle soup. I’m trying to keep a calm diet. But it’s hard. Im a hungry bear. Listening to you lol

• mara51506
    edited April 2023

I can believe that Mel. I enjoyed the cold, could put more blankets on me at night. It will warm up today and then be stormy tomorrow.

I am planning to finally get eggs, did not get around to it yesterday, lazy day if I must say so. Getting a blanket washed up and plan to head out. Was going to wash bedding but more construction preventing that, they had cut out a hole in the front hall and are now filling it in.

Breakfast will feature rice, beans and cheese with wheat bran for fiber. Once I have the eggs, planning to make an egg dish featuring sausage and hashbrowns added into the eggs. I am no longer making weird dishes and plain pancakes are good too. The soup noodles I buy inexpensively will be chopped up and used when I have ground beef or beefless ground to use to extend their life.

• emac877
    emac877 Member Posts: 688
    edited April 2023

Happy belated birthday Sadiesservant! I'm glad your dinner out went well.

Mel there was a Carabbas in Phoenix when I lived there. I remember really liking it. I'm sorry you have the ongoing stomach/gallbladder issues. I can empathize with diet restrictions, I am not good with them either.

Things here are okay. I have had a lot of back pain, more than usual, and am trying to talk myself off the ledge. My scans in March were fine and this is an intermittent stabbing pain so I am thinking it's probably more nerve related but I have a consistent dull ache that travels to the right rib cage from the area around T8 where I have the compression fracture. I'm keeping an eye on it and may mention it if it becomes unbearable. I just started my lower dose on the Verzenio and am hoping it might help with fatigue and less GI upset. Of course it's always an insurance mess and to add to that the prescriptions are now managed through my cancer clinic. Insurance wasn't recognizing them as a pharmacy so it got delayed. As a result I was out of it completely for about 5 days. My GI issues completely stopped during that time and I felt so much better it was hard to start up again on the lower dose this morning. Crossing my fingers all will stay well. I'm trying to motivate myself to get out in the garden but the weather has been cold and rainy. It is supposed to warm up with sunshine this weekend so I am looking forward to that.

Hello to all and hope you are having a good day.

• mara51506
    edited April 2023

Emac, in your pocket talking you off the ledge as well. Hope the lower dose leads to less SE for you as well.

Best wee snack ever. 1/4 cup pancake mix, water and a little bit of honey to taste in the mix. Came out thick but when cooked in the sandwich maker, was super delicious. Only took 2.5 minutes to make in the sandwich maker.

I also made a proper burger and a couple of onion rings. Instead of toasting the buns, just heated them up in the bit of burger juice in the pan, gave some nice flavour. Put garlic spread on buns, used onion seasoning on the patty, bit of mayo. Burger was fine but might need to trim a bit and put the excess in another meal. The onion rings could have been crisper but that will come with time. Better than the burger joint and less expensive.

• sondraf
    edited April 2023

Scanned today so I guess we will find out whazzup! with my hip next Friday. Or at least if its cancer causing an issue or not. Im definitely far stronger than I was, will be starting gait training in two weeks with the PT, and was toodling around the streets holding rather than using cane for large bits today. Hoping if I really really work at it (and its not cancer) I can maybe pull off seeing this one concert at the end of July outside which would require standing. At least its a goal!

Always fun to go into the MRI with one pair of techs and be in there so long you come out to a different pair after shift change :/

Emac - it was so nice and sunny here the last two days, and then the clouds moved in about 430 and now its back to cold grey rain next four days. Its so hard to get motivated with this type of weather. Essentially: I hear you.

Hope it is spring somewhere for folks and they are able to get out and enjoy it!

• mara51506
    edited April 2023

Hope you meet your goal Sondra, in pocket for results as well.

I am going to exercise at home since I may be going out with DB tonight, if not, will go shopping tomorrow.

I decided to wash the bedding all at once so took it down to the creepy shed as it is inexpensive and although I steam and brush off any dirt, it is not the same as an actual wash. My exception is in the winter when it would be dangerous. Cheaper than a laundromat and less hard work when doing it in the tub. Pillowcases and thin bed sheets can be done in my wee machine though.

Edited, although I did wash this load, the concrete floor with pits in it that I almost tripped over changed my mind. I do wish I could wash stuff at my brother's place but I feel that is an overstep and I am not his child. Bathtub will suffice since everything can be done at the same time.

• micmel
    edited April 2023

in your pocket for results as well. Just went through it. Drives you batty. I’ll be sending good thoughts and I’m giving you a cyber hug.

Hi Mara~. I know you’ll have a busy day, are you walking today or is pt enough these days ? You’re also amazing.

• mara51506
    edited April 2023

PT most days, marching in the apartment if not going out. I can get steps in with marching on the spot most of the time. I will be seeing DB tonight as my niece came home from Thailand yesterday and I think she would have needed groceries last night.

I am also no longer going to wash blankets in the machines here. I noticed and almost fell over pits in the old concrete and the building will not fix it since new units have washer/dryer included. I am safer cleaning the bathtub and dumping all of the bedding in at the same time and spinning them in my bigger spinner. Way more labour intensive but ultimately safer for me and other laundromats are pricier.

I also came to the realization that when diluting liquid detergent, instead of using water, I will use my liquid soap. Won't foam up and provides cleaning power as well.

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,167
    edited April 2023

I just wanted to check in. I read every day, but do not post much.

Hello to all.

Monday the BCO site will be down for a day or 2 for the transition to the new site. I hope they get it up and running and I will hear from you all again with the new site.

Just wanted to say HI in case the site crashes and we cannot meet up again. I guess I am plugging along. Next scans are June. Continuing with the Lynparza for now. Still need the hip replacement for the arthritis, but I don't know if I will ever take the plunge and do the surgery. I just live with the pain and limited mobility. Nothing really new here. I am just thankful I am still alive and living with my cat.

Sorry I have not addressed each of you separately.

• mara51506
    edited April 2023

Candy, nice to see you. I am aware of the site being down coming next week as well. As far as the hip surgery, have doctors given you any expectation of the pain getting better post surgery and would that affect your decision. I know you will do what is best for you, in your pocket always.

Pretty cloudy today but getting chores and PT done. Will go for a walk at some point.

I did do some grocery shopping and since I could find ranch dry seasoning, decided to buy cool ranch doritos and will grind them in the spice grinder to use. Also got nacho cheese which I think would be good with cheese and eggs or whatever. This morning, will make a hardboiled egg and will put cold water and remove the shell. We'll see. Going to try a micro pancake as well to have with the meal.

• mara51506
    edited April 2023

I am also looking forward to trying out different things in the eggs and pancakes. I was thinking of adding cooked hash browns to an egg along with a bit of meat for an omelet. Also thinking of adding hashbrowns that are chopped up and precooked to pancake mix for a different sort of savoury and sweet combo. We will see. Making myself hungry talking about these options.

Edited to add that I made a small pancake with 1/4 cup pancake mix, one egg, small bit of honey, small bit of syrup and maple bacon seasoning. Whisked this mix together, pretty thick. Cooked in the sandwich maker for two and half minutes. It still had the texture of a regular pancake and tasted really good with the syrup and honey added in with the mix. I still used a bit of syrup and butter and it was delicious. I also could not detect any egg taste in the pancake and no water was used in the mix, just the egg, honey and maple syrup. Super good small meal.

• shanagirl
    shanagirl Member Posts: 427
    edited April 2023

Your words are beautiful and touch my heart in every way because these past few days I have been feeling what you are saying. My beloved husband as been on this journey with me and after learning that my cancer has suddenly recurred after 13 years NED. So Dear Husband remains next to me thru all the new scans Onc visits and pretending to my family all is fine. I’ll still be here with these treatments to keep fighting these cancer cells. This gives my family the confidence to have hope I will not leave them for years. But when I am not with them there is deep sadnesses in my heart because I really believed l conquered this dark beast now in my bones. So more scans last week and one on Monday, more injections, bloodwork. Reality has set in that I have not beaten this disease, just missed the fact that it was hiding for 13 years and then suddenly decides to grow again and make itself known to my wonderful oncologist who’s been faithfully watching me with regular 6 month visits & consultation. I think he always knew it would come back. I didn’t.I had foolishly thought maybe I don’t need to take the hour and half drive to the Cancer Center every 6 months for appointments. I’m 13 years out.

Now my beloved Husband remains as loving and supportive as always, and now I feel sadness in my heart for him and my family. Hear

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,167
    edited April 2023

mara- My hip joint is worn out-- bone on bone, no cartilage left between the ball and socket. So the hip replacement is what I need-- a new ball and socket that glides smoothly. Of course, I would have pain post operatively due to the healing of the muscles they cut and the incision of course. Normal recovery time for hip replacement is 6 weeks, everyone is different. And getting back to "normal" activities may take a few months. But with the cancer, who knows. I already have fatigue. So we don't know how my body will react to the stress of a major surgery. Chance of blood clots-- I have had them before--, will the cancer spread, how long would I be off cancer treatment for the surgery and recovery... all questions that I have and the reason I am hesistant to go ahead with the surgery. Also, because I don't have a good support system for my recovery time.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,707
    edited April 2023

Welcome shanagirl but sorry I see you join us like this.

Also, I have to share with you all what a beautiful day it is high up in the west Texas mountains. I’m loving it!