Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

My Husband, My Life, My Love, My Family, My Cancer

Options

Comments

• tanya_djamila
    tanya_djamila Member Posts: 1,502
    Options

Hello Irishlove and welcome to the living room. Thanks for the reintroduction. I’ve been here since 2017. I still haven’t taken the time to put my treatment bio below. Lots of distractions and procrastination about it too.

My GD graduates 5th grade Friday. Where did the little kid go?

Waving hello to all

Tanya

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,165
    Options

Sadiesservant, am in your pocket for all the health issues you have been dealing with lately. I also understand the need to set things out while you are still able, even a bit at a time to make everything easier. I also agree with you about the site navigation, though it loads quicker it definitely is not as user friendly as the other.

Irishlove, welcome to the livingroom where some of the subject is food, shopping or what we are doing a particular day, at least it is like that for me much of the day. I personally deal with balance issues which are helped by my cane and I like to try food combos that are not too expensive.

Taco Bell was good, had it two days in a row. Bad but good. Just have to counterbalance that by not spending much in the week for groceries and earn gift cards for purchases. I could also save a bit by not having it delivered too. I have an allowance of approx 25.00 per week, if I don't use it up, can put toward more groceries or treats. Of course if I really need some I will get some.

I've made a pancake decision. No more putting other stuff in them, pancake mix and water with butter and some syrup, can be regular thickness or thinner but nothing else. Did not finish the bean pancake and wasted half of it. Sticking to more normal meals including the eggs, beans, rice or pasta with different seasonings and cheese if it calls for it.

I toasted up a chicken dog and then chopped it up with black beans, wheat bran and cheese. Comes out like a dry ground meat texture. Seasoned with some steak seasoning, ranch dressing and garlic seasoning. Ranch dressing to bind it. Heated mix in microwave 60 seconds. It was nice because it was a more normal meal for me. Probably will bus to the mall for a walk around and head home later. It opens later. Stores closed tomorrow for Victoria Day. Hope your Memorial Day in the US is a good one as well.

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,098
    Options

Welcome irishlove.

I am still here, reading along. I messaged my MO about my hip issue, probably just the arthritis but… We are going to do a bone scan with my next scans- June 5- just to looksee. I have not had a bone scan in over a year. I have been on Lynparza for a year and a half, so I worry about progression. But we all worry don't we.

I am on a Zoom group locally of advanced, Stage 4, cancer people. One lady has kidney cancer with mets to liver. She just did her scans and they found more liver mets and a met on the spleen. She has other health issues and her MO and her discussed her options and she is stopping treatment. The other treatments would have been too hard on her lungs and heart. Her MO told her she may have 1 year.

Another of the group was in the ICU and made it thru but is not doing too well. Another is developing CHF from her treatment. There are 10 of us in the group and, including me, 5 have MBC. The other 5 have various Stage 4 cancers.

This is so hard. I see these people each week per Zoom. We text during the week. I think I am the only one doing pretty well with the cancer. But I know that can change any time.

I will keep reading about you all, and will post when I can mentally do it.

• mocogram
    mocogram Member Posts: 94
    edited May 2023
    Options

Welcome, Irishlove. Mel's living room is a warm, welcome, often funny, and informative place to be. We have had six dogs, two of them were rescues. My last dog, Chance, was a big lovable collie who was 8 years old when we got him. He grabbed my heart when I first saw him and never let go. Unfortunately, he had a myriad of health issues and crossed the rainbow bridge 3 years ago.

I'm not crazy about the new site. I haven't been visiting as much because it just seems cumbersome and harder to navigate. I'm hoping like anything new, I'll eventually get used to it.

Don't know why my bio and treatment info isn't showing up. Another thing to figure out.🤔

Jan

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,607
    Options

Welcome irishlove,

I had that special dog, he was the first born of 4 pups by our English and French bulldogs (accident, everyone got fixed after that), his name was Fat and we had a soul to soul connection. He passed from a rare disease and was already losing weight by this photo but still so handsome.

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 9,910
    edited May 2023
    Options

my Deeohgee was that dog for me. I miss him Very much. After two years.
    welcome Irish, sit back and talk about whatever feels Like you need to get off your chest and others may not quite understand. Sending hugs your way.

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 696
    Options

Morning ladies I'm always reading along and thinking of everyone!

Welcome to irishlove, sounds like you have a soft spot in your heart for animals, that's great. They do give us unconditional love and support. I have a 9 y/o Lab Daisy aka "Crazy Daisy" who we love but she is part chicken too lol. We are often lending her lots of support with all her anxieties. She is our second rescue and I wouldn't have done it any other way.

@illimae Ha that pic, love it!! Thanks for the morning laugh.

@micmel Hope you and your family are feeling better.

@mara51506 Speaking of pancakes, have you ever tried the "healthy banana pancake" ? It's a smashed banana ,egg, a little pancake mix to thicken if you want. Can also put a touch of cinnamon and splash of vanilla, yummy if your a banana fan. I know like me you have a sweet tooth did you ever try those mug cakes in the microwave? Some of them are pretty good.

@emac877 Enjoy your extended time off from work. I hope you regain some strength to allow you to do what you love. Glad to hear your back is better and you just take your time on the yard cleanup, you'll get there.

@sadiesservant Sorry to hear of your ongoing struggles, it just stinks! Sending you peaceful vibes and extra strength for a better day today.

@candy-678 Gosh I was feeling sad just reading your post. It's great to support each other but reality can be so sad and difficult sometimes. Hugs.

@tanya_djamila Yes, time sure does fly by watching the little ones grow up. Glad you have something happy to celebrate!

All status quo here, busy week with several appointments. We put our boat in the slip at the marina yesterday was a beautifiul day! We're looking forward to escaping reality and finding peace this summer relaxing on the water.

Hi to all I missed and have a good day!

• mara51506
    Options

Candy, I am saddened by reading your post but I often feel the same here as well as so many go through issues or progression as well. I know I used to get super upset when someone passed on, I think of Rosevalley, Stephanie Sugars and others as time has gone on. When it is too much, I may take a board break but more often, I change my own outlook so I can handle bad news to family here on the site. Don't belong to any other breast cancer board.

Cookie, I will look into the mug cake idea, I was also looking into peanut butter cookies with pancake mixed included. For now, will make a more snack size pancake, thinner and measure the syrup.

I was not interested in anything complicated for a breakfast. Took 3 eggs, few bits of shredded cheese and a dollop of garlic spread. Whipped it all up in the Magic Bullet, thought chopper would leak. I was stuck trying to figure out to heat it up but just put it in a bowl and microwaved until it started peeking up. I don't normally care for this type of egg but gave it a shot today. Little bit of salt, was good, lots of protein with the 3 eggs as well. Will follow up with chocolate milk.

Holiday here, stores are closed, doing the usual surveys/games, Already put some laundry in the dryer. I have one shirt pilling so will use cutting board over sink to gently take that stuff off the shirt. Show poor quality and Amazon will hear about it. Walking indoors before I, planning 10 min sessions of Paul Eugene senior gold while standing for 10 mins after meals and sometime in between. Preferring to stay home as I am in a computer day for different things.

Hope my fellow Canucks enjoy Victoria Day. Looked up to see if any other countries celebrate but we are the only ones who do. I thought that was really interesting.

• micmel
    edited May 2023
    Options

I’ve lost count of how many wonderful friends and ladies we’ve lost. I was thinking of Lita, and Keetmom , zarokova Lynne 50’s girl. Lynne Manchester. Parry, sweet Patty. Diana rose. When I try to remember everyone I just can’t. Khandy. Was on ibrance when I started. So was pat. You just have to let each other know how you feel about them. I wish Nan would check in. Mae , has been with this thread since the first day I created it. I care about each and everyone of you. And miss those who have left us. It’s hard. But the friendships and relationships made here are worth it. One of my very best friends had come to me from this thread. We talk several times a day and we are so much alike. I wouldn’t trade her for the world. If it was not for cancer I’d have never had found her. So small blessings must be counted. You’re all blessings.

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,630
    Options

Good morning, everyone. Lots of posts to catch up on. I’m skimming through them and I’ll probably copy and paste this into the other threads I follow. Feel free to skip over those if you see them elsewhere.

DH and I got back from St George, Utah yesterday. My sister and her husband moved there last year. My dad drove out from the desert and stayed for a week. It was just wonderful. Their home is stunning, but not ostentatious, if you know what I mean. I have a feeling my dad may end up moving to SG. We met some of their LDS neighbors. What NICE people! Interesting backgrounds, wonderful stories to tell, and just overall wonderful people.

The St George area is beautiful. I wish I had a geologist in my pocket, or at least the back seat, as my sister was driving me around. Hubby, BIL, and dad drove around and saw equally amazing sights around the area. We decided to spend next Christmas there. It’s about a six-to-seven-hour drive depending on traffic. We did hit heavy traffic and some police activity in Las Vegas, but it was 5:00 AM. What were all those people doing on the road at 5:00 AM? Map app first gave our estimated travel time as 6:04 and it ended up being closer to seven hours. Oh well. I wasn’t doing the driving and DH is a calm driver even in heavy traffic.

I’m working on a baby blanket for our neighbor and will start another for my niece. (Technically, she’s my step-niece, since she’s my sister’s stepson’s wife.)

Appointments this week include getting my car serviced, seeing the dentist (I think I see a root canal in my future) and then an appointment with the neurologist on Friday. DH has a CT scan of his heart on Tuesday, too. He’s trying to get an in-person appointment with his PCP so that he can get an MRI of his spine. He can’t do any of the things he enjoys so much like running, climbing, surfing, etc. He did find that he can lap swim and he’s able to use his new (used) Peloton bike to get his heart rate up. Oh, and I turn 65 tomorrow! Who, me? Yikes!

Wishing a good start to everyone’s week.

Carol

• sadiesservant
    sadiesservant Member Posts: 1,875
    Options

ugh… just can’t get a break. Numbness has now progressed to my entire bottom lip while we wait for CT results. I was okay with leaving the chin - annoying but not really impacting me - but the lip is an issue as I keep inadvertently biting it. It feels like I’ve been to the dentist and the freezing won’t come out.
    Then, last night got up for the bathroom and had a ton of blood in the toilet. It’s a hemorrhoid I’m sure - I developed thrombosed hemorrhoids in 2001 thanks to CEF chemotherapy but they rarely if ever bother me. My bad, I thought it would be okay but my panties were soaked when I got up and I was bleeding a lot while I tried to clean myself up. Thankfully I did have some Anusol suppositories so hopefully that will stop it. In the meantime wearing heavy duty grampers. 🙄 Don’t really understand what happened as I’m not straining at all these days with the impact of my liver on my digestive system. Just one more thing….

Welcome Irishlove. You are in good company here with animal lovers. Seem we have quite a few. Sadie is my girl who I love to bits but have to admit I’m struggling with her a bit at the moment. She’s totally my dog and I know she’s picking up things which is making her a bit neurotic. Lots of barking, protectiveness (not aggressive, just watchful) and she wants me to be my old self with her which is pretty difficult at this point. Oh, well, one day at a time.
    Waving good morning to everyone.

• denny10
    denny10 Member Posts: 421
    Options

Happy Victoria day, Mara.

Welcome Irishlove. I am a bit of a lurker but the people here are always in my heart.

illimae, keep posting those cute pup pictures.

Happy birthday sunshine99.

sadiesservant, just when you think you are coping with what life is throwing at you, something else comes along . I hope you get those hemerroids under control quickly.

micmel, I try and be grateful for small blessings, this thread is a blessing everyday.

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,630
    Options

Oh, sadiesservant, I'm so sorry. Once again, I wish I had that magic wand to wave to make everything better.

Carol

• mara51506
    Options

Sadie, I am sorry about the bleeding and the spread of the numbness, hope CT comes soon to possibly offer a reason or help, would definitely be hard to eat. If it is hard to eat or chew, perhaps chopping up your meal, not to the point of puree of course but down to ground beef texture would help with the lip, not typical but it may offer some relief from possibly biting your lip and should not be gross. In your pocket.

Sunshine, you sound busy but fairly happy as well which makes me glad.

My week is a full day at the Cancer Clinic on Wednesday and after a holiday. Better bring extra money for Tim Hortons between Dr. appointment and Herceptin, granola bar will not be enough. Also need to bring chargers for my music phone and regular phone too. Planning to arrive earlier so I can sneak in a walk around the hospital. Taking the bus first though. Don't want a bright red tired face.

My leg PT is finished, harder to do, done 10 mins of Paul Eugene, think march with different moves and I don't sit down at this point. I am going to pace the living room as well to use other muscles, not in the mood for outdoors today. Putting wig on to take out garbage, that is about it for outdoors. Will just use music for the pacing.

• mara51506
    Options

I did pace the living room for 10 minutes, had to really watch the floor as cats running wild and not want to trip on anything. I just like that I use different muscles to land on the heel. Planning at least one more Paul Eugene and 10 min pace, did not sleep much last night and am very tired so doing what I have done is pretty good. Need to do my bit of PT for arms and shoulders but that is easier and back to the 10 sit to stands, decided no need to do up to 100 as I wanted. Sweating buckets and it is cool in here so I know the effort counts for something.

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,880
    Options

Happy Birthday Sunshine.

• micmel
    Options

Happy Birthday sunshine!!!!

• micmel
    Options

thinking of you Sadie. I hope all is ok.

• shanagirl
    shanagirl Member Posts: 357
    Options

I’m just checking in everyone🤗 i haven’t been here since May 9. I was away for 6 days in Florida visiting our grand grandaughter and our new Great Grandbaby Boy who was born January 7. I was newly diagnosed with a recurrence-bone mets and starting treatment……so after dealing with the shock of BC returning, and the new DX and Meds, we finally flew downto Ft. Myers to see them and other family members.Wow it was such a wonderful time meeting our Great Grandson, and seeing everyone. He’d perfect & beautiful, and such a calm happy baby. it was a joy seeing him. H looks like all my babys did at that age. 💙😘. His name Is Jonathan Louis.

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 696
    Options

@shanagirl He is adorable, so glad you got to enjoy him!

@sadiesservant Ugh , Gosh the struggles you’ve been going through! Sending up prayers for strength for you.

Happy Birthday Sunshine! Enjoy!🥳

Mara Sounds like you had a busy day you should sleep well tonight!

• shanagirl
    shanagirl Member Posts: 357
    Options

♥️thank you

• micmel
    edited May 2023
    Options

omg shanagirl he’s perfect. What a little smiling fella already. How wonderful for you. I’m so happy for you. What medicine that is right there. Cutie patooty! Welcome home safely. Glad you had a good time. Love his name also!

• denny10
    denny10 Member Posts: 421
    Options

Babies smiles always lift the spirits . Pleased that you got to spend time with him, shanagirl

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,098
    Options

I need to get in a better headspace. I think some of it is scanxiety for June 5 scans. And, also, just some stuff going on. My sister, who is not very attentive to me anyway, has been extra busy with work, and I have only talked with her 15 minutes in the last 2 weeks. And my "texting buddy" I talk about on here, we have been drifting apart. He is busy with his own life. I feel anxious and alone.

But… I need to get in a better place. IF the scans are stable, then I need to just try to find peace with my situations. I walk with a cane anymore due to the hip arthritis issues. I had PT and injections that did not help and they say I need a hip replacement. But I really do not want major surgery. And other people have their own lives, they cannot be there for me all the time. I have a comfortable house, food in the fridge (maybe not what I really want- I am on a limited budget and I don't cook), I have a sweet cat to cuddle, and books to read. I just need to find peace in my life.

• mara51506
    Options

Shanagirl, your great grandson is adorable and glad you enjoyed your trip.

Still in Sadiesservant's pocket with her issues she is currently dealing with adding whatever she needs to get through.

Happy belated birthday to sunshine, hope it was a really good day for you.

Will complete PT a bit later, just tidying up and breaking down cardboard for recycling, not too many boxes. Had garbage and only about 1/2 small bag worth, still had to put a black bag or they won't take it. I have found uses for a lot of stuff which is great, even down to what I scoop cat litter into. Recycling is tonight.

Planning money earning stuff, laundry is in, PT and going for a mall walk. I have also decided that I really need to push myself to walk in warmer weather as it won't get cooler. Accept that I sweat and my face turns red, get over it. I have always been a face sweater even when skinnyNobody cares but me. I think I confuse sweating a lot as heat exhaustion and I don't believe I am always correct in assuming I will pass out. We will see, will just remember to brin neck fans to hospital if I feel warm in there. They don't do much outside but could cool me down inside.

• mara51506
    edited May 2023
    Options

On the topic of food, doing something different between the small bits of dry food cats get through the day. I did used to feed twice a day but they wanted it more regularly and I started giving small portions. I have canned chicken and turkey that could stretch out their wet food portions. I put a package of the Whiskas perfect portion and some chicken in the magic bullet to make pieces smaller but it did not blend together so I added some warm water, it turned into a liquid but they enjoyed it immensely, may do that at least once a day I think, keep them more hydrated as well. Warm water is also good to warm it up. I could also use it to stretch just plain wet food as well since they eat so often as well

Edited to add, I just realized that I can whip pancakes in the magic bullet and make em pretty easy to pour into my sandwich maker when it comes time to make them up. I did end up whipping up an egg, small scoop pancake mix and same amount of chocolate milk with some cheese. Made the pancakes smaller so not too thick, it was good. Going to whip up omelets to cook that way as well. May also get small muffin maker pan to bake them up as well for egg bites.

• livingivlife
    livingivlife Member Posts: 454
    Options

I do not post as often as I would like but I do read along each day.

Welcome to Irishlove and friends rejoining. I am a major rescue animal lover also!

Sunshine- happy belated birthday

Mae- now that's a beautiful face only a mother could love!

Shanagirl- beautiful baby boy! How great to be able to visit and hold him.

Sadiesservant- you have faced so many issues. Know that you are thought of daily and I am sending hugs and prayers.

Candy- you have lost many people to cancer. It does make us think of our own mortality. It's an unknown world which only we can decide how we are going to live with this disease. If you decide to go on being comfortable within yourself that is fine but if you need more then realize you can make it happen.

Kittykat- I hope you are feeling better after all your struggles. Your outlook with dealing with each issue is uplifting!

I had scans and blood work done last week. Geez my white blood count was .6 so no wonder I felt like crap. Laid low for awhile. Tomorrow I get blood work redone and see my MO for scan results. Need some people in my pocket for support!

Hello Mel, Mara and all

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,880
    Options

I'll be there in your pocket. That's a lot going on.

• micmel
    Options

Candy~ I hate to hear you so down. We all understand different points of what you’re feeling. I spend a lot of time alone. Like you said people have their own lives. I only see my dd everyday because of her divorce. I see son on special occasions and he lives less than a mile from my home. I go crazy sometimes trying to find something to occupy and quiet my mind. I find peace is what I seek also. I have not felt this way Before I was diagnosed. I tried a therapist and all I did was talk and cry about the cancer. What it comes down to for me is I don’t think I’ll ever accept the cancer. I desperately miss my oldSelf my old life. It’s a circle. I do well for a little after good scans. Then it sets in again I’ll be doing this for the rest of my life and I get upset all over again. I can only take it one day at a time. Do the doctors know you won’t have home help? Maybe a rehab facility for a few weeks. If the hip has to be addressed for your qol ? I am wrapping you in hugs. I’m sorry that you can’t find peace. I so much understand how that is needed. I search for it a lot. Every single day. You’re not alone.

• kittykat9876
    kittykat9876 Member Posts: 420
    Options

@livingivlife no wonder you were so wobbly on your feet, I'll be right there in your pocket steadying you.

@