Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

My Husband, My Life, My Love, My Family, My Cancer

Comments

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,387

@threetree I am sorry about the liver findings butt in agreement that there are still options for ablation or other treatment as well, glad the rest of you body is stable.

Sondra, though I am used to having a mostly bald head, I know when it first came out back when I first started chemo, the clumps of hair made me sad. I got my SIL to clipper my hair off and went about ordering a ton of scarves initially. I can empathize with how you may be feeling, in your pocket. Only plus about being bald in my book is wig wearing but that is me but it was still hard.

I decided to treat myself to a robot vacuum, paying by instalment plan and taking out of junk food budget for groceries. I want it for under the couch. I cannot keep up with the cat fur and with fans going now, the fur bothers me. I do have a vacuum but getting stuff out from under things will help. I also am mopping up the floor with my foot mops on my feet as well as the broom with a sock mop on it as well, just spray the floor and keep it fresh. I am finding it easier to keep up with housework and the added bonus of under the couch or where ever the robot is as well. Looking forward to it.

I am back to food. Going to have some quinoa, beans and a hashbrown. Once quinoa is done, plate with beans and cheese chopped in with croutons, keep to a ground beef texture. Should be quite nutritious and filling. Unsure of what to season with but I will see.

Hoping everyone has a good day and in pockets for everyone who needs me.

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,317

Mara, I love my robot vacuum since that is one of the chores I am unable to do. My DH likes it too because he gets to program it and play a little…lol

Speaking of vacuuming, I just about got my house semi-cleaned for my DDGs birthday party here tomorrow, when my neighbor decided to mow down all his tall weeds. And, you guessed it, I now have a thick green layer of pollen on top of everything! Arghh!!! I have never seen this much pollen before and I don't heve enough energy to dust and vacuum anything once and now I have to do it again. If I would have known I would have closed down the house, but everything was wide open as it was 87° here today. Robot Vacuum to the rescue! (At least on the floors. But I need to dust and mop afterwards as it doesn't do well on the corners.) Of all days…

• irishlove
    irishlove Member Posts: 562

Good morning all. @cookie54 Have a good weekend and we'll keep praying it's not cancer. Keep your mind busy and enjoy your out and about. If I sit in my chair too long without something to distract me, my mind goes to worrying. Oddly I found watching You tube Dr. Pimple Popper distracts me. lol. DH is addicted to it, too.

Had a new nurse today from a slavac nation (I think that was her accent), that did those dreaded shots. Best yet in over a year. She was slow, did not put those darn needs on the cot where I lean against and marked the left area that is still a bit sore and a thick lump to avoid it. PT therapy didn't go so well. Humana didn't up the contract so now I have to advocate for myself to secure more treatment. Sheesh. GI issues all the time, sometimes worse that others. Zofran helps a bit.

In pockets for healthy scans and better health care.

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 10,025

good morning everyone. Am thinking of you all. Theo got a summer haircut on Thursday and I wanted to share! I’m hooked!

have A nice day.
    my DH and dss are going to see Chris Stapleton and little big town, and my idol. George Strait! I’ve seen him four times. But he’s my absolute favorite…..I’m so jealous. 🥲wahhhhhhh. They are going in celebration of my dss nursing graduation! It’s going to be epic. It’s right outside of New York. Were the jets play. So it should be a good time. Everyone have a safe weekend.

• mara51506
    edited June 8

Intolight, the green stuff would have made me let out a few swear words but yes, the robot vacuum would be helpful for sure, I am looking forward to mine, mainly for the living room, still vacuuming on the side and dusting as well, just want the front to look less furry as the fans are just blowing never ending tumbleweeds. I also thought of putting one of my sock mops on a cheap little dollar store broom, works well for a quick sweep up and it picks up and holds the stuff. I had a spray mop but the spray trigger broke, still going to use the microfiber and just spray the floor and use sock mops on feet to dry out quicker. Looking forward to everything.

I had a credit from money making which will allow free cat food from Amazon, order from Walmart only cost 30 instead of 70 for lots of food. The credit is for using a particular card to pay rent and that is where the extra comes in which is very nice. Edited, I decided to keep it simple, had the frozen penne and chicken, only added the garlic spread which is milder along with salt and it was really good and filling. Saving beans for later.

I hope everyone has a great day and in pockets for those who need it.

• mara51506
    edited June 8

Got my robot vacuum, it is kind of cool, have not set up the charger yet and the cats are not thrilled, basically will need to take stuff out from under the couch to get that area clean but seems OK otherwise. It was inexpensive compared to the other ones which is good. We'll see how much more effective it is, for now am happy with it. I feel the main use for it will be under the couch and let it run around the living room in addition to anything I do. We will see, may use in the kitchen and bathroom, cannot see use in the bedroom but we will see.

• shanagirl
    shanagirl Member Posts: 419

Hey, everyone, I went for my follow-up and injections on Thursday.😘I had a good meeting with my Oncologist’s physician assistant.  i told the PA that I’ve had so much spinal & rib pain and i had thought it was from progression, but after my scans said normal,stable, unremarkable, all organs normal blood normal., she’s not worried and the pain is most likely  the SE’s of the Fasoldex & Xgeva  injections.  Since I’ve been doing so good on these treatments, she would not want to  reduce the dosages, and i would never want to reduce it anyway. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. She wants me to start taking collage and it will help with the hair thinning. She said it works so good on her cancer patients, making their hair grow so thick and healthy. So I ordered some from Amazon and took it this morning.  So that’s all my update. I’m going to read and catch up on you all and I’ll check in later.🩵

• shanagirl

• threetree
    threetree Member Posts: 1,559

I've been a bit under the weather this past week with something that both the oncologist and I believe is probably a bit of food poisoning. Digestive issues and a lot of fatigue; body aches and pains. Also, still have not really wrapped my head around the idea that I could have something going on with my liver. Will call the radiology dept Monday or Tuesday though, to schedule the MRI that the onc wants.

Tanya - Thanks so much for the hugs and supportive comments. They are much appreciated. I'm not sure if the radioembolization is a type of ablation or not. It wouldn't surprise me if it was.

ToughOldCrow - Really appreciate your sympathies. I am holding on to that far out possibility that this could all be a glitch.

Irishlove - Yes, I agree this scan reading business is something else. Like you said, it seems all radiologists read these things differently, and they use different language too. Some more "inflammatory" than others. Thank you for your nice thoughts and good wishes.

Candy - Yes, I have used the search box for "radioembolization" and have seen a little info that way. I do remember NicoleRod - not real well, but I definitely do remember her. Didn't know she had this procedure. Thanks for the 3 times info also. I hadn't known that. Really appreciate you locating the actual thread, "Liver mets, ablation, Y90" and I will definitely look for it.

Cookie - You are so nice to send the hugs and strength. I can really use both of them! I will let you know what the MRI says, and as you suggested, I am still holding out for something good (and wrong) in all of this. (I really reach for straws in situations like this.)

Mara - Yes, I too am glad that other than the liver issue, everything else is still stable. Your sympathies are very appreciated and I thank you for taking the time to offer them.

• threetree

Shana - So glad to hear about all your normal scans and that the aches and pains are not from progression. I go through the same "sweating it out" and wondering, and I hate it! Thanks for sharing what your doctor said about it probably being the Faslodex and Xgeva, if the scans are good. I think that Faslodex can be real nasty and is responsible for a whole lot of these aches and pains. I totally agree that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"! Good luck with the collagen too!

• shanagirl

@threetree I’m so sorry you’re feeling under the weather and also, I pray you’ll get answers regarding your liver. You are on my mind. Sending you gentle (((hugs))) and loving thoughts💜💕

@mara51506 I never had a robot vacuum. Now you got me wanting one😊

@micmel that little Theo is on handsome yr old guy. Love the pictures🥰🐾

@intolight Oh No! I hate all that green pollen that coats everything. Ugh. My Allergies too😫

• irishlove

Good morning morning glories. Here's to a lovely and painfree day! 98 degrees here tomorrow. I'll be hiding inside. We haven't had rain in so long that we are under severe water restrictions. I was outside briefly with the hose, spraying down dog dishes, cat dishes and filling up bird baths. Wouldn't you know a city enforcement truck came by and slowed down. So I waved at him. Well I was finishing up and here he/she comes again. I had just finished so I put the hose down and waved again. lol…Hey the birds, squirrels and strays gotta have water and those stinky cat bowels needed washing outside, not in my kitchen sink. The thunder and lightning got my attention two days in a row, but no rain. I'll water down the potted plants at night, although the mosquitoes might eat me alive first.

I love the idea of a robotic vaccuum. But…..the rugs have that fringe on the end in the living and dining room. Plus the dogs slobber so I worry about water ruining the machine. Guess I'll stick with my Dyson.

Pet scan Monday. Is it gonna be door 1 door 2 or door 3. I'm sure not into whack-a-mole on this cancer journey, guess we'll see. In pockets for correct scans, and all your needs.

• mara51506

Well, as predicted the cats hate the robot vacuum, I figure it will mostly feature in the living room to clean under shelves behind the couch. Regular broom and mop are sufficient in kitchen. It was a budget model on sale also so having the extra is fine, will probably take Ava to my bedroom when I choose to run it.

Not much sleep last night while playing with and setting up the new vacuum, I run it manually and then plug in the charger and it does automatically go there. Probably did not need it but was a want and will find use every day. Breakfast will likely be beans, beefless ground and cheese chopped in with croutons. Mayo and ketchup to finish. I don't like the cheese slices, transitioning back to shredded cheese. Later meal will be an egg sandwich I think, nothing exciting I do not think.

Hoping everyone has a good day and in pockets and petting pets virtually as well.

• threetree

Intolight - Thanks for the well wishes. I'll just have to see what happens. Interesting, I just got done reading about how salt can cause not only cell changes in your liver, but also these "food poisoning" type symptoms I've been experiencing; digestive problems, headache, fatigue, etc. I mention this because my last scans 3 mos ago were fine, and now I have this possible liver issue. Well, up until this last work up of scans and labs, I've always had low sodium, so for the last 3 months I've been salting everything I can when I eat, and eating a lot of olives from a jar, as they are full of salt. Well this time around and after the last 3 months of salting everything, my sodium level was finally in the normal range, but oddly enough, it has been during this same last 3 months that something apparently went whacky with my liver and I also started having these digestive issues, headaches, and more severe fatigue than usual. Now I'm off to wondering if I brought all of this on myself, and if it wouldn't have been better to just stay with the low sodium levels. Who knows, my brain just goes crazy, and I can get really "out there" for awhile when I read new info.

Just love your wedding picture! I liked it before too, when you showed both the old one and the current anniversary celebration photo. You both look so young and cute in that picture. I also got married in the 70's ('76), but my marriage didn't last and I've been divorced now for about 20 years. I think off and on about how my former husband and I would be fast approaching that 50 year mark too, and it does seem like a real shame that it won't be happening. I am just so happy for you and your husband that you have made it to that mark, and I wish you all those many more that you two would like to have! I can't think of anything better than a really good long term marriage. Congratulations!

• tanya_djamila
    tanya_djamila Member Posts: 1,528

Irishlove in your pocket for your pet scan tomorrow.

Intolight happy anniversary.

Mara I’ve had that robot vacuum in my thoughts for quite awhile. I would love to set something up and it cleans without me doing anything. Sounds like a dream!!!

It’s hot hot hot and we haven’t had any rain in over 3 weeks I think. I do the cat bowls and plants early morning or evening.
    enjoy your day

Tanya

• threetree

Irish - When you and Mara talk about robot vacuums, do you mean something like a Rumba? I'm really out of it these days when it comes to vacuums. I still just have my old upright.

Also want to wish you the best of luck with your scan tomorrow. I will be thinking of you and hoping for all the best!

• mara51506

Tanya, I like the robot vac quite a bit, I did use it to clean out underneath the sofa and when I was done with it, nice to be able to send it to charge for a bit. I do put the charger and vacuum away when not needed. I also took care of vacuuming the kitchen and bathroom at the same time the living room got the robot vac done and mopping with my mop and using my sock mops to dry it up. I usually clean with enzyme cleaner, vinegar and some water in a spray bottle, makes the place smell better.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,462
    edited June 10

Related to salt causing liver damage, I found this 2016 article that discusses it but based on my quick search into it, I didn't find many studies replicating the findings or expanding on them. If anyone is curious however, here is an article that links to the 2016 study!

From what I understand, it likely would be relevant for folks with liver mets or individuals with other liver conditions (like fatty liver disease; hepatitis B/C, which cause scarring on the liver).

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 805

Mel Theo looks so darn handsome with his grooming😍

Shanagirl Glad to hear good news for you! Hmm I will have to look up the collage between my thyroid meds and treatment , ugh. I am currently using biotin not sure if it has changed much.

Mara Sounds like your having fun with the new vac. Hope the kitties adjust to make it a little easier for you.

intlight Love the pic, you both have beautiful smiles. May you spend many more happy years together.

threetree Yikes I hope you feel better this week..always something!

irish Thanks for the positive boost. I did have a nice weekend and the weather was gorgeous! I'm right behind ya with the PET. MO decided on PET instead of bone scan and I plan to call tomorrow for an appointment. In your pocket tomorrow❤️

tanya Stay cool, hope you get some much needed rain this week.

Have a restful night ladies.

• irishlove

Hi ya'll. In pockets for all your needs and may the scans improve greatly. I am barely eating due to GI issues, so today was even more difficult with pet scan tomorrow. Poured a Boost, took a sip, remembered it was a no-no, dumped it out. Poured cranberry-grape and remembered can't have that either. My brain, she are no good. Water sure is tiring. Gee whiz the kids then baked a cake. Not fair. LOL

I stick to my DYson. Niece has 3 dogs and one had an accident on the floor. Well….she came home to the Roomba having spread it everywhere. It took days of carpet cleaning, floor cleaning and wall cleaning plus disinfectanting. You do have to watch out for major water or liquid spills also. What a joy to have one if you can. Please do a voodoo or war dance or something for us to receive rain. My plants and the outside critters are suffering. A crow jumped into the birdbath and gulped the water down. Gotta try to sleep but anxious about the scan and if they can find a vein. Night all and God bless you………….

• sondraf
    sondraf Member Posts: 1,664

@threetree as another member of the 'your sodium is too low' club, I hear you. I've been a salt fiend for as long as I can remember (and yet the British NEVER salt food, drives me insane) and yet my sodium has been bumping along in abnormal territory for oh, 6 or 8 months now. I dont know what it will take to pull it up,but I do drink electrolyte drinks to get all the salts (Ive got bigger problems with potassium) and that seems to get my sodium up into marginally acceptable level. Ill try more olives, maybe a bit more salty Greek stuff like halloumi would help. We need salt for heart function, but I didn't realise so much was tough on the liver.

Sometimes I wonder if optimal for some of us is low for others and when we try to fix it, we are maybe 'normal' but it doesn't work for our body. I hope you find a different reason,though, seems awfully coincidental.

• micmel

I hope the salt thing can be figured out and I hope your liver is just persnickety. It’s been a lovely weekend weather wise , but I was just completely tired. I don’t know what the deal is but I was flat out no energy at all. I am so sick sick of being tired and tired of being sick. I don’t even remember how to feel good anymore. It’s depressing. Sometimes I can’t believe this has even happened to me. To us. All of us. Here. I hope you did something fun this weekend. With Theos new look comes a now attitude. Prancing around with his toys. Quite adorable. A small light in my days.

• goldensrbest
    goldensrbest Member Posts: 710

Here for pocket duty. Praying for good results🙏🏻🙏🏻.

Another baseball weekend. Oldest GS made it to the championship game which ended up being a nail biter. Sad to say they were on the losing end but it was a great game to watch except for the fact that the clouds came in, the temps dropped and the winds started to howl. I was freezing in a long sleeved shirt, heavy sweater and blanket wrapped around me. Teeth were almost chattering.

I wish we could share our rain. We are 7” above normal. Our grass is ankle high as it’s too wet to mow.

Sending wishes for painfree, peaceful days. HUGS!

• mara51506

Quiet weekend for me. Just waiting for mayo and peanut butter from Amazon, already robot vacced the living room, will still need duster in the hidey holes, charging for now and will put away, Tigger loves to follow it around, Ava stayed in my room but has come out now. Laundry up next and some floor mopping, just using the broom I covered with a sock mop and spraying the floor with the enzyme and deorizer mix, smells pleasant.

I slept decently last night, adjusting myself for the morning appointment on Wednesday.

I decided to try the Great Value frozen spaghetti but I did chop up cheese with croutons and added some beefless ground to the top, cooked all of it from frozen spaghetti for 4 mins, plated and seasoned with sour cream and onion seasoning, salt and garlic, added some wheat bran, mixed together. It was quite good, beans or lentils will feature later on in meals since I used up the beans and forgot about opening new ones.

Hoping you all a good afternoon and evening and in pockets for those who need it.

• micmel

here for pocket duty! Was a beautiful day here today . Hope all are well or improving.
    Hope Mae had a great time and is safe. From the big concert . Love to all

• shanagirl

Giid Morning Lovelies💕

I slept so well last night. My pain management neurologist precribed pain reliever without aspirin or ibuprofen (blood thinners) because he’s. Doing a procedure on my neck on Friday. So I haven’t taken any yet, until last night along with an Ativan. YesterdayI was feeling anxious and edgy all day and just couldn’t relax, until………then I relaxed and slept all night until 7 this morning, got up to pee, the went back to sleep until 8:30, when DH brought me some coffee. ☕️🥰

@mara51506 oh Mara, I love your schedules, stories about your meal plans and kitty cats. You are a joy😊🩵

@micmel “persnickety”. 😊

@sondraf and @threetree I started using Celtic Sea Salt because I read it’s so much better for you. It is very flavorful salt and so I use much less of it, but I read good things about it.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,688

Theo is sooooo handsome!

• mara51506
    edited June 11

Theo is a cutie pie. Have not done too much this morning as both cats came and pinned me down on my lap, Ava on my chest and Tigger on my legs.

Nothing too exciting yet, waiting on snacks from Amazon, got the nature valley peanut butter buiscuits and Kashi crunchy granola as well, can put peanut butter on them as well. Doing some laundry. My shower sprayer head broke some how but the hose coming down still works so I cover it with a towel when filling the portable washer so it does not spray the bathroom. I havent used the shower since I almost fell even on the grippy mat inside and the grab bar. Hospital baths since then so the broken shower head is no issue and the bonus is the washer fills much faster. I have been enjoying the robot vac, need to read instructions about the mop function but in the meantime will just spray the floor and go over with a dry mop, if that is done daily, I don't need anything else really.

Meal was frozen great value fettucine alfredo, put some lentils on top of the frozen stuff, chia seeds and garlic spread, cooked all for 4 mins, plated and added some salt, sour cream and onion seasoning j

I hope everyone has a good day and in pockets for everyone who needs me.