Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

My Husband, My Life, My Love, My Family, My Cancer

Comments

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,387

Sondra, when you are ready, enjoy wig shopping. As far as the Jeopardy, you can get Jeopardy full episodes off Youtube.

Not sure what I wish to do today, doing all the normal laundry, budget boosting activities and housework, waiting for digestive enzymes and some aquafor moisturizer, it is a good moisturizer and will use this on my head. I used the medication prescribed and there is already an improvement, still putting vaseline around the inside of my ear, just a thin layer and they feel better.

Cooked up some ground turkey, waiting for it to cool so I can refrigerate it, got extra grease as well due to cooking spray and the turkey. Going to use the grease for the next couple of days for using instead of cooking spray and fry up the tortillas, make different varieties. I've also seen recipes on youtube with baking torillas into a bowl which is something I wish to try as well and have a bowl of something mexican inspired, eggs or whatever. We'll see.

I do hope everyone has a good day and in pockets, in my own to get my hair trimmed and washed and add the medicated stuff. I did not wear my wig but I feel my wig is not the full issue, keep head moisturized and medicated, after the first day, it is not itchy.

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,166

Threetree- I would think they would want to biopsy the largest/easiest to get to liver whatevers. To prove that it is metastasis, and not just a benign cyst or hemangioma. If in the past they thought they were cysts or too small to characterize you would think they would want to biopsy them now. Especially before doing radioembolization. I would be asking for a biopsy.

• mara51506

Candy, give yourself all the pity parties you need to work out some of the stress of what could have been, I do the same from time to time, makes me feel better. If it is not 24/7 then I think it is perfectly reasonable to have a good cry when needed.

I know I post about food but I can post about disasters which were the fried tortilla shells, frying them even with meat in them did not make them more appealing, nothing but a bunch of grease since I used leftover grease from frying up some ground turkey. What I will do is use the tortillas as a filler instead and put lentils, cheese and croutons in the chopper, they will make up the ground beef texture and I will add different things and microwave, I will enjoy that more.

• malleemiss251
    malleemiss251 Member Posts: 544

@candy-678, we all have to blow off steam at some point - it is human to do so. Thinking of you and in your pocket with support.

• sf-cakes
    sf-cakes Member Posts: 599

Threetree, I second the biopsy recommendation, and if they haven't grown larger it is a mystery why now the RO thinks they are metastases. I wish they would include a rationale in these reports! Hoping for some calm in the midst of all this for you.

Has anyone heard from emac?

Got outside today and fed/watered the plants and lemon tree in my little yard. My back still gets sore and tired faster, but it's been nearly five months since my spine surgery, and I'm grateful to be able to do most everything, just still being a bit careful.

• threetree
    threetree Member Posts: 1,559

Candy - Thank you for mentioning the biopsy idea. I will ask the oncologist about it when I see him next. I had thought that the scans were efficient and in lieu of a biopsy, so that a person didn't have to go through an invasive procedure. Maybe I'm wrong? The idea of anything like a liver biopsy or radioembolization just gives me the creeps. I am a real big baby when it comes to all this stuff.

SFcakes- After hearing from you and Candy, I will check out the biopsy issue for sure. Re the issue of the size of the "metastases" and why they would have to treat this, if it's indeed stable, I will have to ask the oncologist. I'm hoping he can fill in the gaps. I too wish the radiologists would give their reasoning for their conclusions. That's something that my oncologist is usually good at, i.e. filling in what you don't get from reading the report yourself. I'm wondering if they've seen new spots, since they refer to "multiple metastases". I knew there were two main spots and then a bunch of smaller ones, but maybe there are more smaller ones now? Even if there are, they are apparently "stable", so I'll just have to wait and see.

I was glad to see that you were able to get out and do a little gardening. My understanding is that that surgery you had is a real big deal, so I think you were very brave to go ahead with it, and I'm happy that you seem to be making a full recovery . When you mentioned a lemon tree, I couldn't help but think of that old folk song about, 🎡 "Lemon tree very pretty, and the lemon flower is sweet, but the fruit of the poor lemon, is impossible to eat."🎢 An old Trini Lopez and Peter, Paul, and Mary sort of thing.

I too wonder how Emac is doing and wish her well.

• sondraf
    sondraf Member Posts: 1,664

@candy-678 Sounds like a pity party I have at least once weekly. I see people going to work or coming home and man what I wouldnt give for the chance to commute again - who ever says that! But the things we took for granted back in the day. I think all of us can relate with the wanting to be 'normal' and productive and getting upset that we can't be, or at least not the way we were. Getting to accept that and learning about what our new job is - taking care of our bodies and our health the best we can - is still difficult after years of being told our only worth is what we produce in a monetary sense. I dunno, its something Im still working through with my therapist. But if you want to get a small part time job somewhere, that keeps you under the SSI limit, why not? Or a volunteer role that is one day a week? I know you can't predict when you will have fatigue or upset stomach, but at the same time, you cant predict when you will have a good day either :) Maybe having a small commitment to focus on and to have your brain engaged will help with pushing back all the focus on how you are feeling. I know when I am out and about the aches and pains seem to magically diminish and I can go much longer without painkillers than when I am at home day after day and its too easy to sit around and focus on how awful I feel. Just some thoughts.

@sf-cakes Youve done so well with that surgery and after! I hope you celebrate how far youve come in your healing.

@intolight A good salon product can work wonders. I had short hair cut with a choppy cut, and I would stick in a heavy duty schmoo to mess it up and stick up here and there. For the most part my hair is very fine, but lots of it, so I needed something to give it lift at the roots and dimension otherwise it just lays so flat on my head I may as well not have any (ha! fooled you, hair!). Is leaning in to that choppy look an option? Be hip and now! :)

Im starting to get really concerned about emac - I hope she is just off managing all her challenges and will be back when she feels better. She's had a lot thrown at her in the last 9 months, and the feeding tube and ice chips for the summer would have been another big one to deal with.

Im off to order cat food, start some laundry, and make jello, cut up this watermelon on the counter, and make up some tuna salad for lunch today and packed lunch for tomorrow at the H. Based on how my throat and mouth feel, I can tell the next two weeks will be back to cold tart foods and appetite loss. One more night or two of normal food I think I can handle - hubs is making creamy chicken and mushrooms in white wine sauce on mashed potatoes. I think its more comfort food for him (also, hell finish off those left overs as I need to make sure he keeps eating) but it works for me too :)

• candy-678

Thank you all, my peeps.

I just hated that all this came up with the LTD. Why can't they leave well enough alone. I am still Stage 4. I am still on cancer treatment, albeit it is a pill I take at home versus IV chemo. And I thank God that my scans look good for the moment. We all know that will change at some point. We all progress and get worse, there is no cure for MBC.

I hate having to defend myself. I hate that it brings up the feelings I already have about being "worthless" about not having a job like I used to. I don't want to have to go back to work, even part time. It would not be the same as before diagnosis. Working while feeling yucky, not doing the job I went to college for, but just getting ANY job to make money. Overall, I enjoy being home with my cat. And I do volunteer with the library and my church. And maybe I can look for another volunteer activity. I am getting out more, since colds/flu/Covid is quiet this summer.

Maybe they will decide in my favor. I just hate that this came up at all. That someone in an office somewhere can cause someone with MBC to be MORE miserable than they already feel.

I too hope emac is ok. She is struggling so.

• mara51506

I am wondering after Emac, not sure of her real name either to check on her. Hoping they are fixing things up or that she is at least comfortable, always in her pocket.

We are setting up for a week long heat event, temps between 98 F to 107F with with the humidity. I will stay home and if a trip out is needed, will take paratransit. At least the apartment is cool and I did not get rid of any fans so a cross breeze is definitely able to happen. I did turn up the temp on the AC and it is no longer leaking.

No real plans for today, TV playing ads for some cash, will be playing mobile between chores for a little cash and doing online stuff. I am not going to shop for anything food related this week, my freezer got so full I've had to tape it to keep it closed, I am OK with that but would like it less full. Need more shelf stable stuff and better organization.

Going to have some quinoa and lentils, possible meat pie in there as well, later chop in some of the ground turkey, cheese and croutons as well with some pasta, we will see. I want less junk food as well, I buy the stuff and then tire of it and the junk is the most expensive. Mini pot pies are 7.00 but there are 6 so I can stretch them with rice and beans. The chips I usually just eat up, not the best. I do enjoy the Walmart Great Value pasta because I can easily add other stuff to it like lentils, an egg to cook right on top of the frozen and add whatever seasoning is needed when plating.

Hoping everyone has a good day, thinking of Emac myself as well and in pockets for everyone needing a pocket dweller for support.

• threetree
    threetree Member Posts: 1,559

Oh Mel, thank you so much for posting this and letting us all know. I am just so very, very sorry! She was very helpful to me when I first became stage 4 in January of '23. I will never forget her and her lovely presence on this board. My sincere sympathies to her family and friends.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,462

@micmel, this is so sad, but thank you for letting us know. We will all miss her deeply. Sending our heartfelt condolences and love to her friends and family.

The Mods

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,317

Thank you for posting Mel. It is always so difficult when we lose one of our lovely friends. Sending prayers and love for her family.

• candy-678

Rest in Peace Emac.

• goldensrbest
    goldensrbest Member Posts: 710

Oh Mel thank you for sharing the news about Emac. πŸ’” to have lost our valiant sister. I pray she is resting in the arms of angels after having so many health issues here on earth.

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 10,025

πŸ’”πŸ’”

• tanya_djamila
    tanya_djamila Member Posts: 1,528

so sorry to hear about Emac. No more suffering sweet sister.

Tanya

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 805
    edited June 17

mel Thanks for letting us know. I am also sickened and saddened by the passing of emac. She kept on pushing through the past several months that were so difficult. May her beautiful soul rest in eternal peace. Fly high sweet Emac we will all miss you.πŸ’”πŸ•ŠοΈ

• mara51506

My condolences and love going out to Emac's family and friends, she suffered a lot in the last while and I am glad she is no longer suffering. It does not mean we all will not miss her though, fly free Emac.

Today is the start of a major heat wave, temps feeling into the 100's for a good couple of weeks. At least I don't have anywhere I need to be with appointments, if I want walking, I will Paratransit to the mall and walk around. Doing laundry right now and going to run the robot vacuum after I pull stuff from under couch and off floor, do a quick floor mop as well. Budget boosting as well including doubling up on games that pay money as well, not much but every bit counts

No unusual food here, leftover quionoa and egg on top with mayo and ketchup together. Not sure what I will do later on.

I hope people have a good day, sending peace to Emac's friends and family here and in real life and in pockets for anyone who needs it.