Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

My Husband, My Life, My Love, My Family, My Cancer

Comments

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,315

seeq, a road trip sounds marvelous, but there is no way I could do that. I feel like I have lost ground lately with extra fatigue and increased gut issues. My grocery order came this morning and I didn't even last long enough to get it all put away. My DH has been doing more and more housework for me, and it hurts as I was always the caregiver. He does it cheerfully as he is retired and a bit bored, but it still hurts. He refuses to hire a housecleaner so I guess it is on him. I do what I can, but lately that is not much. I still plan dinners and do the "shopping" (online of course,) but he often has to help with the cooking. He likes his smoker so I do the rub, prep, or whatever else I can and he finishes it, but we can't do that every meal. In fact we are about to put a roast in today. I am changing how I cook so it is easier on him. My DD is not any help in the kitchen. She likes to cook breakfast and bake desserts, and will help in the kitchen when I call her up (she lives downstairs) but she is not good with plan and prep. She does do the dishes if she is not going to work (she leaves right after dinner.) That is my woe for the day.

I do miss my mom. She has been gone fore eleven years now. Fortunately she died before my diagnosis so she was spared that news. We were not particularly close. She was in mental institutions (called sanitariums back then) several times as a child and was always a little off-centered, but we never knew why. She was never on medication that I know. We all left home as soon as we graduated high school. My dad was a saint that held us altogether. I loved her, and she tried. I was adopted and owe the good life I did have to her wanting me. (I had two older brothers and one younger adopted brother.) My parents died four months apart, both from cancer, both together in a nursing home.

I plan on discussing my changing symptoms with my MO at my appointment this week. I have a scan scheduled for the 12th so hopefully I will get some answers.

Have a good week everyone. It is supposed to be our hottest week of the summer this week before it begins a steady cooling off after that. Knowing the Rockies it will start snowing on Pikes Peak in September, sometimes the end of August. We follow close after that.

• shanagirl
    shanagirl Member Posts: 417

so I’m saying Hi to everyone but not reading comments today. Ugh it just never ends. I was up all night coughing with a headache. This morning I had the chills so bad and such bad bone pain in ribs spine and hips. I was so weak couldn’t move so in bed all day. I feel a little feverish,took my. Temp it was 99.8 which is high for me. So I guess I have a summer virus🤒

• cure-ious
    cure-ious Member Posts: 2,850

MKestrel- Are you up in Idaho?! I just got back today from visiting my brother and his partner in Boise, and we were "lucky" that the smoke from Oregon fires was sitting over the town and reducing the temps from 108 to like 95, yikes. I alway hope to get to do some huckleberry picking, but the berries they found were still green! Any good sites to pick berries? I will return next summer, gonna make this happen!!!

• mkestrel
    mkestrel Member Posts: 179

@cure-ious yes I live in the valley of smoke 😫 😷. I grew up in Boise. I just got back from camping in Stanley but it was smoky there too. We played in the lakes. The berries are up no tell em creek lol. Try the first couple weeks of August. It varies. If it stays this hot they're just going to be tiny raisins.

I'm having issues breathing in this smoke and my mouth sores won't heal. I would rather be miserable in the mountains! It was fun. It rained one day and cleared a little.

• threetree
    threetree Member Posts: 1,553

Mkestrel - As always, great photos! I'm starting to eye my local blackberries too.

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,384
    edited July 29

Well, the less expensive washer has broken down on me, motor gave out which stinks but whatever, found a different way to wash and rinse stuff. Ordered another large salad spinner for 30 dollars, They work like portable washers, same size as my smallest washer and can agitate just as well, no motor to break down either. They do a pre spin dry as well so it does not take so long to dry in my portable spinner. I also decided to see if wand washing blankets in the broken washer will work as well and spin in the panda and it will so that is good. I still feed a bit of the blanket at a time agitate for a few minutes, let sit about 5 mins and bob's your uncle. Works just as well.

Edit, have some pizza from Walmart, thin crust, while waiting for the breville to heat up, added taco seasoning, garlic seasoning and sour cream and onion seasoning and some extra beans and shredded cheese.

Hoping everyone has a good day and in pockets for those who need me.

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723

mkestrel, beautiful photos!

shanagirl, sorry about the fever. I tend to run low, too. My normal is 97.7 so even 98 is a bit high. I've been running a low fever of 99.6. Not bad, but I can tell when I have a fever when the backs of my arms start hurting. Weird how that works.

mara, sorry about the washer breaking down. How frustrating.

Sending love to all,

Carol

• cure-ious
    cure-ious Member Posts: 2,850

Mkestrel, Still looks gorgeous even with the smoke- In Boise, you couldn't even see the foothills!

• threetree
    threetree Member Posts: 1,553

Knock on wood, over here in the Puget Sound area, we haven't had to deal with any smoke yet this summer. I know there are fires in Idaho and California, and those can usually affect us, along with ones here, in Oregon, and BC, but so far, so good. It's been many summers now since I could say that, and I hope this "smoke free" streak continues!

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 10,023
    edited July 30

I’m so sorry about the fires. How sad for wildlife. Those pictures are beautiful oh my those lovely mountains. So jealous. Enjoy every hike and camping trip you can. I love those mountains.
    Mara~I’m very sorry the item broke. It’s always something huh? We had an old old old fridge in our garage it was our drink fridge. It was sucking money from our pocket . So we got this cute little fridge that our dd got through her work and it’s adorable. Just perfect for the spot on the garage. It’s smaller. But so perfect.

I hope everyone is doing ok I’m watching the Olympics and enjoying it. I reallly like watching the games. It’s exciting to see alot of the different games that they even have. Today I saw swimming women’s beach volley ball which I love! A 6’4 blocker and a 5’6 server play together for the us. Nuss and Kloth so entertaining to watch that! I watch wresting for women /judo…. Gymnastics…mountain biking … some water polo. It’s been awesome. I have always enjoyed the games. Hope everyone else enjoys them like I do. It takes me away from cancer. My sister got a scan recently and she is stable. !! I’m thrilled. Yay! Hugs to all of you ladies. Good to see you SeeQ. April, hope you’re good. Mallemiss. You too!

• mara51506

Mkestrel, the pictures are beautiful for sure even with the smoke, yes, it is sad for the wildlife though.

Shana, I am so sorry to read you are ill, in pockets for feeling better soon.

Sunshine, it was frustrating but I will say that the salad spinner for small stuff works pretty well, two hold as much as the one that broke. I did leave stuff in to soak after and just rinsed each off each, transferred to spin dryer and dried as normal. I even did a blanket with the wand washer in the broken washer, feeding bit by bit and it worked quite well so that is good. I no longer feel bad.

• irishlove
    irishlove Member Posts: 561

Hi all. Beautiful scenery mkestrel! Just a heads up about checking filters with a smoky environment. They are so easy to forget about. Our AC guy comes next week for yearly service. It's so darn hot daytime that the AC keeps running and we can't get below 79 in the house. @intothelight, I sure understand the complicated relationship with mental health issues. Mom was in Wernersville State Hospital on and off for years. They used electroshock therapy. Horrible treatment. We loved her regardless. I also share the difficulty in being limited in house work. My DH has picked up the slack but I don't know about a roast. lol. He's more of a frozen dinner cooker. @shanagirl, oh I hope you start to feeling better. It would be good to hear improvement. Waiting for cooler weather and I think it will make a difference.

Mel, got the Olympics on TV here. It is a break from feeling so overwhelmed. The kids are so dedicated and their families, supportive. It sure is thrilling watching. Gymnastics, swimming and volleyball are in my wheelhouse. Oh my gosh just watched Paul, team USA, on the pummel horse. WOW. Mara, the pizza sounds wonderful. Darn that machine. Would a duvet work better then blankets? They should be lighter in the machines. Of course you gotta be willing to button all those holes up. Hello to those I may have missed.

In pockets for all your needs.

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 803

mkestrel I love the pictures, what beautiful scenery! Sorry to hear of all who are dealing with fires and smoke. Hope the conditions improve soon.

Shana Hope you had a better day today.

Mara Sorry to hear about the washer but impressed with using the salad spinner!

Mel Yes I also enjoy the olympics. My favorites are gymnastics, diving, swimming and volleyball. Definitely a nice break from reality !

Back to humidity here but was a gorgeous weekend! Before we know it will be sweater weather and pumpkin spice everything lol. Sleep well ladies❤️

• mara51506
    edited July 30

Started my beloved laundry, using the unworking washer with the wash wand, Agitate for a minute or two, wait 10 mins, agitate again, may leave laundry in to soak since I had more soiled items to clean, salad spinners can be used for delicates or clothes not overly soiled. My other washer as I discovered still works, it just stops mid cycle and needs a restart so there is still that one, it has the spinner I use before everything goes in the dryer. My house smells lovely, got a frebreeze air freshener, just sits on the table, not a plug in for a fresh smell near litter but the dryer is going so a fan is blowing that air toward the living room. Very nice.

Not much going on here, I read on the weather network that Toronto and area are in the path of heavy floods, potentially causing flooding again due to the humidity. London where I am is not really in that line of rain according to the radar map but hope Toronto is spared as they were flooded last week.

Yesterday, I ate the whole pizza through 3 meals yesterday, it was very good and had added beans to it. Today, more beans included with another frozen pasta. I open the frozen pasta, usually a fettucine, crack an egg or two right on top and usually add beefless ground though have not defrosted it yet. Season with garlic and sour cream and onion dry seasonings, put in microwave for 4min 30 seconds on high. Comes out and all I have to do is combine. Not pretty but really delicious and depending on beans included in it, pretty nutritious. May chop beans up first to get the ground beef texture. Later may do a bowl of cereal and supper will likely be a bigger pot pie and some lentils if I run out of beans. That way I can add some caesar dressing or mayo and ketchup which I love. I will see where my appetite leads me.

I got a call from the community health even though have an in home appointment tomorrow. I looked over services but not feeling I need them at this current time, housework takes very little time, am able to launder own clothes, take hospital baths and moisturize my skin. Other than not walking during the humid weather, marched yesterday holding two canes. I don't have anything to hold onto for the arm movement with Leslie but the two canes keep me balanced while marching. I think that is enough for now and Walmart is my grocery delivery, do not need anything right now. Earning bit of money for cat food, they need some wet food I think. I like to save money for it.

I do hope everyone has a good day, In pockets for those who need me. I am just going to earn money online today to shift toward other things, like take 10 bucks a month in earnings and keep up on the walmart delivery fee.

• micmel

I’ve never been there, I’ve not really wanted to travel there, I’m more of a Caribbean type of person. Or was. I have no idea what I am now. Can’t be in the sun long. Heat wrecks me. Looks like they were dealing with some heat and a the first day rain. I think it runs till the 11 th and I plan to watch everyday as well. I too enjoy when the usa medals. It’s nice that the fans have returned to the stands. Last time covid was more afoot and no one was traveling. Some athletes didn’t even go ! I read an article that the village for the athlete’s was getting some pretty good complaints. I guess that happens every Olympics. But if there is waste running in the halls because it’s ten people to two bathrooms and they showed a pic and it was tiny. The sewage was running into the river that the athletes were to swim the triathlon in the up coming days. Gross me out!

• mara51506

Goldens, I can empathize with you on the funk but not the full on depression. I have felt that today and no particular reason for it.

• micmel

Tanya~ I am so sorry about your mouth. It won’t get any better I’m sorry to say. I’m coping through that steroid mouthwash. If it wasn’t for that and the Percocet I’d be in the mad house early.
    just saw Katie Ledecky win her 12 th gold medal of all time and it looked like it was a breeze for her , what a wonderful thing to have seen!!! Loving these Olympics and so far I’d say that Paris/France is a great host country ! The triathlon was played out today because the water in. The Senne , river wasn’t high with bacteria when they tested. I can’t imagine putting a toe inside that river knowing that the day before it was high with bacteria! Eewweeww!

• micmel

Mae~ I’ve never really wanted to go to France either. I also agree about the beach and a drink. My DH and I went out to dinner last Saturday and I ordered a pina coloda. It was delicious! Yummy 😋 I’ve always loved the beach and I couldn’t ski. So I wasnt a big winter gal. It’s been soupy like hot here. Gross actually. Don’t want to go out much. Thank goodness for air conditioning!