Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

My Husband, My Life, My Love, My Family, My Cancer

Comments

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 10,053

that’s adorable! I bet you look good in it. I’m always looking for things like that when people ask me. Or if I have have have to loose my hair again someday. I still don’t think I’d agree to loose my hair all over again. I just got it back. But I would definitely wear that.

• ShetlandPony
    ShetlandPony Member Posts: 3,063

Illimae, the pickle jar is perfect for showing off those beautiful yellow tulips.

Moth, it was fun to see that video of you and your dog. I agree that videos are a great way to improve your own technique. My DH always took videos of my dance performances so I could see what needed tweaking. I am waiting for a new class to start up at a new place, and I think I will make it a cancer-free happy zone, as you say. Nothing good ever came of my "confessing" to having cancer there.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,313

Moth - love the 'hat with hair'. I had one during chemo that looks almost like my own hair. Much easier than a wig.

• micmel

Busy day today for me. I can't believe I made it through. I had a hair appointment that I thought was at ten am. It was really 11:15 don't ask me why I messed that up. Luckily she's a friend of mine. Got home at noon fiddled around for 45 mins until I had to leave for the airport to pick up my DH. He drove down with my dss to Alabama to get this semester living arrangements settled and I had to pick him up at 230. By the time we got back from that it was 445. No nap for me today I can feel it. But it feels good to have been of some use to him especially, he's always helping everyone else. I wanted very much to be physically strong to do this. I'm not used to driving distances. But I'm getting really to roll my stiff ass into bed. I hope all is well and I'll be up for pocket duty!! Hugs to you all.

• seeq
    seeq Member Posts: 1,167

Mel - I forgot to say I could really see you in an RV, especially the drivable kind (that is not a tagalong or 5th wheel). You would be able to be comfy and cozy in your own space, so you can be a homebody - even while going down the road. Set up is much easier, as I understand it - basically, hook up fresh water/electric/black water and set stabilizers. The only drawback is you have to break camp to go anywhere, unless you tow another vehicle - which a lot of people do. They make them in small sizes all the way up to Class C busses. We have a (too) large 5th wheel (toy hauler) we take when we go. It's comfortable- like taking a condo to...wherever!

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,462

Mel, glad you could help out and be busy.

• runor
    runor Member Posts: 1,615

Candy, I am so sorry you are getting the run around. How much do these companies have to pay their people to not give a shit?

It is so hot and I would like to open the doors and windows to cool down, but the air is blue and  full of ash. It floats in and covers everything. You can hardly breathe outside. There are at least 4 fires within 100 miles of us, some much closer. Evacuated people are heading this direction. Local people are posting on Facebook that they have room to take campers and emergency guests. Mayor of one local town has asked tourists to please go home as they need the hotel rooms and campgrounds for evacuees. Hub and I are supposed to be travelling to a wedding this wknd. We would be gone for 3 days. I don't think I'm going. Not that staying home would save our house from a fire. It won't. But at least I would be here to get the hens out of the pen and the dog in the truck and to safety. I do not want to leave this up to anyone else who may be looking after the place and not here as much as I would be. I just have a really bad feeling of foreboding, leaving home when everyone is on edge and the forest is a tinderbox. Last night I walked out into a opening in our trees and looked across the valley and flames are visible in the dark. I am not a great traveler at the best of times but this feels like the very worst time to be going anywhere.

On pocket duty for everyone who needs it, I'll be the one with the fire extinguisher. 

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,311

runor I know how scary it is. I have been evacuated in two fires and self-evacuated in a third. One time I had to return to my home to fetch an animal... on foot/road closed... with ash swirling and embers falling. Horrible smoke. Hang in there and make a list so if you have to go you won't feel panicked or forget something. Incl dog stuff. If need be take photos of all your cupboards and closets opened up, so you can remember/prove things if God forbid you had to file a claim. Be an early evacuator if you have to go. In CA they give you an evacuation warning first,

• veeder14
    veeder14 Member Posts: 273

Runor

I can relate to how scary the fires are being that several gigantic fires have impacted us over the last few years. It’s time again to have a bag packed just in case a fire starts, it’s so dry, hot, and windy. The N95 mask helps a lot as I can’t tolerate the smoke. During last August fire we purchased several air purifiers for inside which helped keep the air inside much cleaner, it’s worth the money. I hope you don’t have to evacuate yourselves and animals. Keep us posted.

• GoKale4320
    GoKale4320 Member Posts: 580

Moth - thank you for posting that link to the hat with hair. That's a great website with many cute options. If my hair gets much worse, this is what I might buy https://www.headcovers.com/headband-bob-wig-by-car...

I would just go with a scarf, but with my job, I don't think that would go over very well. Or maybe it would help my launch my "work from home" campaign. Ha ha, so risky though since I desperately need my health insurance and I am nowhere close to retiring.

Mae - love the pic of the flowers - such an artsy pic.

Runor and others with forest fire risk - I hope it starts raining there soon.

I'm a homebody, too. I think I just settle into a routine and just forge ahead. When a change comes my way, it takes me awhile to adjust and then I'm okay. So typically, I think long and hard about vacation plans, but now when a trip is proposed, I think better go now in case I can't go later.

• mara51506

Frustrated, I get to the cancer clinic expecting a doctor appointment and they say appointment has been moved to August. No one told me. It has been 3 months since I have seen her. Supposed to get CT results. Not waiting another month.Waiting to see if they will take me, otherwise a huge stink will ensue. A polite but stubborn stink.

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,168

Hello.

Mae- DH did good with the flowers. I even like the "pickle jar vase".

Moth- I liked your video. And the ponytail hat is neat. When I was bald I did the turbans and a wig. Maybe next time,, if there is a next time,, I will try the ponytail hat.

Mel- I am glad you had a busy day. Good for you. Though I know it wore you out.

Runor- I am sorry for you and others that are battling the wildfires. We are having flooding rains here. This last weekend a 25 year old local teacher died in flood waters. She got stuck in her car in flash flooding on a road next to her house and she called for help. When help arrived her car was submerged in 13 ft of water and they could not recover her body till the next morning. So tragic.

Mara- You stand up for yourself and tell them you are not waiting a month for CT results !!!!!

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,717

Candy and Mara, sorry to hear about insurance/appointment troubles.

Micmel, congrats on getting through a busy day, I hope it was nice to get out.

Gokale, thanks 😁 I have no artistic talent but took several years of photography in high school, it’s been a beloved hobby of mine ever since.

• mara51506

My MO came to the chemo and told me no evidence of disease. Just some gallstones that have been there for years. Happy to hear it.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,717

Yay Mara 🎉

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,168

Woohoo Mara!!!!!

• GoKale4320
    GoKale4320 Member Posts: 580

Congratulations, Mara! Love this news!

• mara51506

Thank you, I was relieved. Two things to be relieved about, my scan this time was NED and the front step area was fixed finally as well, two good things. The other nice thing was since the MO was not expecting me, I did not have to wait for her. She came in, said my scan was fine and filled out a prescription for me since I have no PCP.

• chicagoan
    chicagoan Member Posts: 1,044

Great news, Mara!

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293

Excellent Mara! happy for you!

• Rosie24
    Rosie24 Member Posts: 1,026

Great news, Mara!

• trishyla
    trishyla Member Posts: 698

Holy Cow, Mara. What great news. I am so very happy for you. Doing a happy dance for you!💃🕺💃🕺

Congratulations. May Ned be your constant companion for many years to come.

Trish

• jhl
    jhl Member Posts: 175

Mara,

Congrats on the great news. I was thinking about you this morning when I was tackling my laundry & ironing. I am fussy because I want my clothes ironed unless I'm doing gardening or hands & knees housework. This morning I said to myself I need to like this like Mara likes laundry. Sadly, it is right up there with vacuuming as some of the worst tasks I have to do. So, congrats on your enthusiasm about laundry AND NED!

• RosieRed
    RosieRed Member Posts: 209

Happy for you, Mara!

• tanya_djamila
    tanya_djamila Member Posts: 1,537

Mara fantastic news! That’s the best appt short and sweet with wonderful results.

Tany

• mara51506

Thank you everyone, I do appreciate being NED as well. I have been lucky that way over the years really.

jhl, I don't know why I became obsessed with laundry. There are household things I fall behind on though not the laundry. I just love doing it. That was not always the case, just as my Mom got older and eventually in my own place. I like having a washer and dryer in my apartment. Miniature versions of washers to be sure that are used in the tub but they work just as well. My dryer is small as well in the bedroom, but I can do everything.

• goldensrbest
    goldensrbest Member Posts: 724

Congrats on the great news Mara! Treat yourself 🍔🍗🍟🌯🥟🍦🍩🍫😉😉😉

• micmel

awesome Mara!!!

• kittykat9876
    kittykat9876 Member Posts: 420

That's great news Mara, so glad you got to see your oncologist, having to wait was just unacceptable, glad you stood your ground.

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723

I'm not sure where to ask this (or if I should start a new thread), but I just got my blood work results back on my patient portal. There was a new test for Metamyelocytes and Absolute Metamyelocytes

The first was 1% and the second was 0.02. Normal for both is 0, so of course I ran to Dr. Google. Nothing frightening there, but it looks like it's sort of related to leukemia. My platelet count is on the low side of normal, but my MO only commented on my WBC which was 1.6 and my ANC which was .61.

Any thoughts?