Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

My Husband, My Life, My Love, My Family, My Cancer

Comments

• booboo1
    booboo1 Member Posts: 1,196

Mel,

Wow. No fun at all. I have one toe nail that hurts, but not all of the time. Weird. But I know it was chemo that did it. Hopefully you can get in to see the doctor soon and get it taken care of.

I flew back home yesterday from my two-week family reunion, just in time for my birthday. DH made my favorite dinner, and he bought me flowers and candy (he tries, but has no idea what to get me—I am hard to buy for because nothing material-wise interests me.). Anyway, had the best two weeks ever. Maine was unbelievable. Going from the 90s and high humidity to lows in the 60s at night was a welcome change. I opened the window in my room and pulled up the blankets and thought I was in Heaven. I love Maine. I feel so peaceful there.

Then drove back to PA with my sister and her hubby, and spent another week at their house. We had a real family reunion on Sat., and I got to see all of my siblings, nieces, nephews, etc. It was a pool party, and a really great time. Kind of weird seeing my nieces and nephews with babies, but the next generation is here.

I’ve been reading and trying to catch-up but as others have said, this thread moves fast.

I’m feeling pretty well and taking advantage of that. I am starting to feel some pressure in my back where the original tumor was found, and I guess that’s how this works with no treatment. I am working closely with my palliative care team, and they said they would help me to know when it’s time to flip over to hospice.

That’s about it for now. Love to all.

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 10,053

Happy Birthday 🎂🎉🎊🎁🎈 sweetheart!!! Yay you're safe and sound back in Florida. That was sweet that DH was prepared, as he should have been. Hugs to you!

My doctor was not happy with my toe. She called it angry. Said I needed to see a podiatrist right away because it was looking infected. I have an appointment Thursday. Just another wonderful thing cancer has given. I am certain the chemo has also done this to my toe. Mine also hurts , Then went away. But now it's back with a vengeance. It's always something.

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293

Happy BIrthday booboo!!!!

mel, ugh, bummer about your toe. Who needs another medical headache but glad you're seeing someone for it soon.

• tanya_djamila
    tanya_djamila Member Posts: 1,537

Mel sorry about your toe. Chemo and other treatments plus getting old definitely takes it’s toll.

Mara happy to see you still walking.

Booboo that vacation sounded like exactly what you needed. Thanks for sharing all that contentment. Even the cool nights is something anyone from the north misses when they move south. That air after a warm day is a blessing.

I take faslodex shots so I don’t know about the change in an al. Someone asked o. The previous page about this.

Pocket duty for all on this Tuesday. I made peanut butter chocolate chip cookies and they are all eaten except for the ones laced with MM chocolate. Sorry guys that’s my share in the pocket.

Tany

• ShetlandPony
    ShetlandPony Member Posts: 3,063

Or in this case, Tanya, chemo takes its toe....

• seeq
    seeq Member Posts: 1,167

Oh, ShetlandPony... that was just too awful... now you're going to have to toe the line and be good.

• goldensrbest
    goldensrbest Member Posts: 724

KBL - I switched from Letrozole to Anastrzole after about 6 months due to severe joint and leg pain (below the knee). It made a big difference, but the aches have returned after being on Anastrozole for 18 months. I want to discuss with MO the possibility of stopping for 3-4 weeks to determine if pain is from the drug or from my severe osteoarthritis, which is in back, knees, ankles, feet and toes. The top portion of me is full of the osteoarthritis as well but those joints don’t affect the legs. It would be worth a tryptophan switch meds.

Mel - it’s a good thing you’re getting to see a podiatrist so soon. The last thing you need is a major infection.

Happy belated birthday Laurie! I too have no interest in material things. My days are filled with my sweet goldens, my papercraft projects (I’ll post some pics of it) and wine! Although soon the shit will hit the fan. Our retirement home should be complete by early October and we just put our current home on the market. It is overwhelming to think about moving again (we moved 22 months ago). But it will be worth it to be 5 minutes from our grandkids. Life is too short!

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,717

Happy birthday 🎉 Booboo!

• micmel

I've been on anastrazole for five and half years and I am creaky also. I haven't noticed it being so terrible. But then again I take a lot of meds, so who would know. Which is from which.

• 50sgirl
    50sgirl Member Posts: 2,071

Candy, Were you able to have any appointments today or are you still waiting for insurance approvals? I have been worried about you, and I hope everything gets straightened out soon so you can move ahead with a treatment plans. ((Hugs.)))

Laurie, Happy birthday. It sounds like you had a wonderful trip. I am so happy for you.

Mel, I am glad that you have an appointment soon to get that toe nail taken care of. I hope that things can be done quickly and you get pain relief soon.

Mara, Your activity level always amazes me.

We had our family get together on Saturday. It was wonderful. There were 18 of us, all vaccinated. The weather here was perfect, and we ate outside in our yard. I have not been well recently, and my dh did all the planning,cleaning and cooking. My 16 year old grandson volunteered to come early to help with set up. It was so sweet of him. Everyone had a good time. My dh cooked beef tenderloin roasts. They looked and smelled SO GOOD. Everyone raved about it. Unfortunately, I had severe mouth sores and couldn’t eat it. Sigh. I wish we could have such gatherings more often, but it isn’t easy finding times when everyone is available.

Enjoy your evening.

Hugs and prayers from, Lynne

• kbl
    kbl Member Posts: 2,955

Thank you, Goldens and Mel. It makes me feel better you’ve both been on it

• micmel

Lynne~I'm sorry you haven't been feeling very well. I think of you often. Sounds like a nice time with your family. You deserve that! Everyone deserves family time. There's nothing like it.

I just got done reading a long beautifully written posting from Philly. It seems her cancer is spreading and they are bringing out the big guns for chemotherapy. She said she's reached acceptance with all of it. But does have some hurdles to get through. She had a port put in yesterday. She's such a free happy spirit that has this presence about her. Please let send her some good vibes and wishes. Knowing her , she maybe able to feel them. I'm very worried about her. She's been through a lot this past six months. She deserves a break also. Philly if you read this. I adore you friend.

• tanya_djamila
    tanya_djamila Member Posts: 1,537

Mel thanks for sharing the news about Philly. I share same sentiments about the time Philly spent here. Really helpful to us.

Shetland and seeQ your humor did not go unnoticed-too cute.

Mel I hope you get good results from podiatrist.

Candy hopefully you’ll check in soon with good results.

50’s so glad you enjoyed your family gathering. Sounds wonderful.

Waving hello to all.

Tany

• emac877
    emac877 Member Posts: 688

KBL - I initially started on Verzenio and Faslodex. My ass got so sore from those injections that I inquired about exemestane (aromasin). I was diagnosed NED on the Verzenio and exemestane combo but noticed that I was much more stiff and painful, my mood was a little more labile and my hair was falling out and thinning on top fairly rapidly. I talked to my MO and she switched back to Faslodex. I am feeling better and have more energy despite having sore spots on my rear. I did about 6 months on each of them. I decided it's easier for me to live with a sore behind than feel like I had aged 20 years. I get where you're coming from though. I was afraid to switch. I didn't want to jeaopardize my NED status and I didn't want to use up a therapy that I might need later. I decided it was a quality of life issue for me and took the risk. I've only been back on the Faslodex for about a month but so far so good.

• ShetlandPony

Tanya, as my grandma used to say, "We have to laugh so we don't cry." I am sorry for your painful toe, Mel! As if you needed one more thing, eh?

• ShetlandPony

Emac, not to derail this thread, but here is a quick run-down on Faslodex based on my experience and research, and others' input as well: Take an ibuprofen a half hour before your injections. Warm up your cheeks with warm packs in your back pockets. Warm up the syringes in a warm blanket or your hands. Whether lying on stomach or sitting, completely relax the cheek that is getting injected and point your toes inward (pigeon-toed). Remind the nurse to inject in the UPPER OUTER quadrant to avoid the sciatic nerve. Have the nurse inject very slowly, at least ten minutes per side; longer if that is better for you. (Don't care if the instructions say two minutes!) Have her pause if it starts to ache. Use warm packs and walk for maybe twenty minutes afterward to prevent the syrup pooling and making a painful lump. Then switch to ice packs for a couple hours, to reduce inflammation. Take another ibuprofen later that day, also to reduce inflammation. Tell yourself congratulations, you are good for four weeks.

• sondraf
    sondraf Member Posts: 1,679

Mel - I'm really sorry to see that about Philly and I hope she finds the right chemo at this time to knock things back. Glad you are still in touch with her, let her know we are all cheering for her here!

Someone, for the love of god, get me off this insomnia merry go round. Good lord its been about 6 weeks since I last slept more than 6 hours a night and its more like 4 most nights. Trying a few tricks to see if I can get this under control but of course last night (this night?) I was woken after 3 hours because OH was throwing up. Don't know what that was about but covid test duly ordered. MO suggested anti-depressants as a potential solution but she also noted that I didn't seem depressed (Im not) and Im not complaining of hot flashes or anything else. I dont drink caffeine during the day other than my morning cup of coffee, no Coke/tea,no energy drinks, no naps, no sugar after 5, etc. Its like my brain goes Ping! time to get up! and thats it. I have great mental clarity if I can get 6 hours, so I don't want to dull that with ADs I dont really need (not to mention another damn pill - ADP). Im hoping some of this will be resolved with a little get away vacation soon.

• kbl
    kbl Member Posts: 2,955

emac, thank you. I hope ShetlandPony’s advice can help you.

I’m sorry to hear about Philly, but we always wonder about those who aren’t here. I am thinking of her and wishing her the best with the next treatment.

Candy, thinking of you.

Booboo, happy belated birthday, and I’m so glad you had a great time with family.

SondraF, insomnia sucks. It’s not a permanent solution by any means, but if I just want one night of good sleep here and there, I will take Zquill. I don’t have any issues falling asleep. It’s staying asleep. If I wake up between 1:00 and 3:00, I end up getting on my phone for a few hours and then I’m able to go back to sleep for a few more hours. I hope you find a solution.

• GoKale4320
    GoKale4320 Member Posts: 580

SondraF - in the evening I wear blue-light blocking glasses (I bought a cheap pair from Amazon) . I wear them especially when watching tv or using my phone. I also might meditate for 10 minutes before bed. I take 3mg of melatonin about 30 minutes before bed. I bought the kind that melts on my tongue so it isn’t like taking a pill

• emac877

ShetlandPony - thanks. I will have them try that. I usually am standing partially leaning forward over a table or I think it's actually an old blood draw station. Maybe that's the issue. The placement is good, just painful. It's better today. The combo of the Xgeva and faslodex just wears me out for a day or so afterwards.

• booboo1
    booboo1 Member Posts: 1,196

Thanks, my dear friends, for my birthday well-wishes. I’m 61, but feel more like 81! No, not really. I am still moving forward and completely at peace with my decision to stop treatment. I just wish I knew how long I have. No one can tell me. So I’ve decided to stop worrying about it and just go out there and live, and enjoy everything I can. Why not, right? I’m planning a trip to TX (San Antonio area) to see my youngest sister. They just bought a new house, and want us to visit in the worst way. So I will.

I also have plans to go to Disney (this is the 3rd time I’ve made these plans) for Christmas. We’ll see if I get there.

• illimae

50’s I’m happy you had a good time but so sorry you couldn’t enjoy the food.

Micmel, thanks for the update, I’ll be sending good vibes to philly.

Booboo, enjoy your trip to San Antonio and please do let me know if you’ve got time for lunch or a drink, if you pass through Houston.

DH and I are heading just over the state line I visit friends in Louisiana this weekend to see the house the recently bought and hang out.

Also planning another trip to take stuff to the cabin. I’ve only got one medical appointment on Monday and the rest of August is free.

• dodgersgirl
    dodgersgirl Member Posts: 1,902

BooBoo1– happy belated birthday!

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,462

Happy belated birthday Laurie, hope it was a good day.

• kittykat9876
    kittykat9876 Member Posts: 420

Well today is the day I find out if vinorelbine has been doing its job and I need to work out a suitable time to have these cataracts removed, wish me luck.

• emac877

Pocket duty Kittykat! Keep us posted.

• micmel

pocket duty! For sure. Kitty. waving hello to emac.
    hello

BooBoo ~ Tanya~ Mae~goldens~ candy~.

Tomorrow’s toe day. Hooray. Yeah right. Ugh!

• micmel

hello Shetland, was smiling at the toe references lol.

• kittykat9876
    kittykat9876 Member Posts: 420

In your pocket for tomorrow Mel.

• illimae

I’m in for pocket duty, kitty.