Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

My Husband, My Life, My Love, My Family, My Cancer

Comments

• seeq
    seeq Member Posts: 1,167

Candy - Mel said said it nicer, but F- what the Nursing Home likes, to do what is right for you and your sister. Do what you can live with.

Mae - Harvey was the major rain and flooding event, right? The storm that parked and dumped rain for days.

Mel, loved the 'crazy' post. Too funny.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,717

Seeq, yes, the flooding was insane.

KBL, Kelly did great. Looks like fun but too much pressure for me.

I went to a small retirement party for a former coworker tonight at a patio bar/ice house and it was great to see old friends. I also met one of my replacements (they had to split my old job, too much for one person, yeah, no kidding, duh). Anyway, I introduced myself and he said “oh wow! It’s you, hi!” I guess a still have a good rep, lol. Lots of others, happily surprised to see me, I suspect many thought I’d look sickly by now.

• runor
    runor Member Posts: 1,615

Candy, Boo-Boo, thinking of you and so many others here who have daily challenges and burdens to face. Hugs and prayers.

Moth, I hope the steroids clear up your breathing problems. But if your air quality has been like ours this summer, it's amazing that anyone can breathe at all. This year has been TERRIBLE for particulate so big it looked like it was snowing outside. In August! DD hangs out at a stable and lots of people quit riding their horses because with very little work they'd begin to cough. This year is BAD! One year I ended up on steroids for a pointless, dry cough that just wouldn't go away. A combination of smoke and allergies. Hoping you continue to improve.

Hi to all. Hugs.

• kbl
    kbl Member Posts: 2,954

Thank you, Mae, and thank you for watching. I totally agree. She seems to do great under pressure

• booboo1
    booboo1 Member Posts: 1,196

Hi Runor,

So good to see your post. I cannot begin to imagine how bad this year has been for you and many others who have had to deal with the heat and these wildfires. It’s like a cruel joke. I’m hoping things start to clear up and your air quality improves fast. Hugs from FL.

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,168

I didn't intend to imply that I was worried about the Nursing Home staff's feelings, just that with having to garb up that much I should not overextend my welcome.

Well, it doesn't matter now. I got a call from the Nursing Home last night that 2 residents tested positive for Covid-- they rapid tested all the residents. My sister is negative, so far. They moved her to another room on another wing. I guess her old wing will be reserved for Covid patients. They said they are now in total lockdown, but 1 family member from our family can see sister since she is on Hospice. With 3 Covid vaccines in me I would think I would be pretty covered, but who knows with this Delta variant. Maybe see her 2 times a week or so. More going more chances of getting Covid.

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 10,053

Covid the gift that keeps on giving. Enough of this crap. This should be gone by now. I’m sorry Candy you’re having to worry about yourself and your sister. You simply just cannot get covid. My goodness. But good for you three shots already. I only have two

• kittykat9876
    kittykat9876 Member Posts: 420

Oh Candy, you can't seem to catch a break, my heart is with you and your sister, I hope you and your sister stay safe.

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,461

I am so sorry Candy, glad you are vaccinated but geez, you both need a break.

• micmel

Good morning ladies. Reporting for pocket duty if needed! My mouth feels like I ate burning pizza. I hate this side effect. I’ve tried everything and it just won’t quit. One more discomfort to add to the list. Hugs to al

• mara51506

Mel, I am sorry your mouth is sore, are there any natural rinses that would help like a bit of salt in warm water or another favourite of mine when I get the odd canker, baking soda in water? You probably have tried these already.

• elderberry
    elderberry Member Posts: 1,067

moth: go away for a few days and so much is happening. I loved your instagram posts. I love my port too. That wig for your Taylor Swift post is gorgeous!! Keep posting pink tutu, pompom free stuff.

runor: our air didn't get as bad as it has in past summers. We had a fair bit of rain over the last couple of days and that cleaned it up. Maybe it is a good thing we are all masked up - no breathing in lumpy air.

candy: Your sister is blessed to have such a caring and loving sibling. Go as much as you can. Every day is precious.

Mel: I hope you get relief for the mouth sores. Ow!

Sondra: I always had long hair until I shaved it off in preparation for chemo. Now I like it short, even though it has a mind of its own and has bits that stick out. I get crazy ideas about going all out on colours that do not exist naturally on humans., Purple. Turquoise. I have experimented with one day colour. I had a lot of compliments on the pansy purple I tried. But - permanently -- ??? That might be leap.

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293

Hi everyone,

gals, the steroids suck! I'm so scattered, tired but wired, can't focus, sort of have energy but get nothing accomplished! Argh.

I did attend the BC cancer metastatic pt zoom meetng this morning & that was good. Sad but good. We talked about spouses and wills....

Hey, I applied to SABCS (San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium) to attend virtually as an advocate and was accepted. Excited about that :)

MIL is doing ok, still waiting for transfer at the rehab. Dh has been driving out to see her and help her with dinner every day this week; I worry he's going to get really drained with all his responsibilities. It's weighing on him, I think...

Oh & as I posted on the breaking research & the Tecentriq threads, Roche has withdrawn their application for tecentriq approval. That's my med! Just happened this morning and it's unclear whether it means those who are on it & responding can stay on or what... Always something, eh.

hugs

• mara51506

Moth, I am not surprised to hear your DH is weighed down dealing with helping you and his mom. It is a lot to deal with. Hopefully, they can get her more stable so he can relax a bit. I hope you can stay on your drug or offer something similar if it is taken away. Take care.

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293

Thank you Mara! I've decided to not really think about this medicine issue - it's totally out of my control so we'll just see how it plays out.

Oh I forgot to say one upsetting thing is that it looks like we're cancelling our traditional camping trip to the lake. We've camped every year we've been together, through pregnancies, babies, toddlers..every year at least once. And for about 16 or 17 years we've always made at least 1 trip to the lake in the Okanagan. Well.... I'm suddenly on steroids for shortness of breath and cough, the smoke from forest fires there is still on & off happening, and technically they're recommending against travel into the interior because of covid (it's not an official order, just a recommendation but still). And MIL not doing well on top of everything...

So ... I think it's just not going to happen. I thought later in the Sep we could do it but dd's work schedule is full & this is the only week she had off so it's such a bummer. We were lucky to get a spot which actually coincided with her time off but that's where the luck ended. We were supposed to go this Sunday so we kind of have to make the decision finally and cancel. Boo :(

• karenfizedbo15
    karenfizedbo15 Member Posts: 719

Mae, I get you work wise. I too did a job which was suddenly split into two or three posts when I packed it in. I also have several great work friends who keep in regular contact. But there are another several who seem surprised that I look fine and am still active and busy. Little do they know how much effort that takes - but I look nothing like a stage 4 cancer patient yet…..Rock on us!

• micmel

Goodnight ladies.

Chicagoan hope all is well

Boo 💜

Candy~💜

• mara51506

Karen, without my wig you might wonder but once I have it on, you cannot tell. I don't even need makeup either.

• chicagoan
    chicagoan Member Posts: 1,044

Hi Micmel,

Sorry that your mouth is hurting. Have you tried Greek yogurt? It's a lot thicker than regular yogurt-I just get the Costco plain non-fat. It kind of coats the mouth.

Things are good with me. It's really hot and humid here. Today was pickleball and the beach. Tomorrow I have a picnic and then an evening social-we're all trying to get our fun in while the summer lasts. I hope that you have a nice weekend!

• sondraf
    sondraf Member Posts: 1,679

Mae (and other ladies down on the Gulf /mid-atlantic / TN etc) how you set for Ida? It looks like it is headed more towards FL panhandle/AL, though I know there is at least one Stage IV sister in NOLA. Yesterday evening when I checked the news it was maybe Cat 1 and when I woke up this morning and checked the news it had intensified significantly. Stay safe down there everyone!

Not much new here - feeling better and more up and at em today, so will be making a multi-step veg lasagna and prepping/sorting out veg in my fridge, cleaning the bar cart (London dust is no joke, folks) and other bits of the kitchen, sewing, working on some other projects, maybe a gentle bike ride for a little bit.

• illimae

I’m ok here and we are well outside of the storm area. We do have friends in LA near the Texas border but they are prepared and not likely too concerned after getting hit several times last year. I understand Ida could make landfall as a major Hurricane but it doesn’t seem to be a monster.

Wishing good weather to everyone, especially those dealing with storms, heat and fires.

• runor
    runor Member Posts: 1,615

Moth - the air quality here has improved greatly over the last week or so. It was bad day before and yesterday due to backburns to remove fuel from the fire's path, but with recent weather changes the fires are more under control than they were. Hotels and campgrounds had been asked to clear out visitors to house evacuees. Lots of people have been able to return home so space is likely opening up again. Even though the air is much better it is still probably more smoky than at the coast. But, it might be okay for you? THe sky is looking clear blue this morning. It was weeks and weeks when we couldn't see the sky at all!

• candy-678

Just checking in. I continue to read your posts.

I have not seen my sister since Wednesday. Then, she did talk with me a little and I told her I loved her. Since then I have called several times to check on her. They put the phone to her ear yesterday and all she did was moan/garbled something. Today I called and they said she is non-verbal and just moans and moved her arms about as they was getting her cleaned up. I will call back in a bit to see about Covid situation--- they swabbed all the residents yesterday. See if they have more cases.

I want some happiness. Something to look forward to. When she passes, which sounds like not too far off, then I am dealing with my progression and treatment change. My texting buddy I have mentioned on here before is at a large car show this weekend. His passion. He has posted on Facebook about how much fun he is having. I want that. Fun. Not cancer. Not death. Not tests, docs, progression. My Dad is 95. He will be next. I live in a world of death and dying. That is all I can see anymore.

• elderberry

candy: What sad and terrible news about your sister. It just seems to have happened so quickly. You have so much to deal with. Sending you a huge cyber hug. I am so sorry.

• kbl

Candy, I’m so sorry for all you’re dealing with. I hope you get to see your sister.

• candy-678

My sister died today. Her life mattered. Her name was Susan.

• illimae

Shit Candy, I’m so sorry to hear about Susan and for your family grieving her passing.

Heart

• kbl

Candy, I'm so sorry you lost Susan. You knew it was coming, but it doesn't make it any easier. I am sending you a big hug. Her life definitely mattered

• jhl
    jhl Member Posts: 175

Candy,

My deepest condolences to you. From what you have written I can tell you loved Susan very very much. I am going to believe she knew you loved her as well.

Be gentle with yourself and remember the good times with Susan.

Jane

• elderberry

Candy: I am saddened for you at the loss of your sister Sandy. Know that she knew you loved her.