Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

My Husband, My Life, My Love, My Family, My Cancer

Comments

• livingivlife
    livingivlife Member Posts: 454

Merry Christmas to all. The dog can't wait to open gifts.image

• livingivlife

Merry Christmas to all MBC friends.

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,459

I certainly could not do this without you Laurie and everyone else here. If I believed in resolutions for the new year, mine would be to simply allow life to happen and worry about things less than I currently do. Make me much happier that way. Do my surveys, laundry which I still LOVE and walk more often. Not today for me though. I did get a bunch of peanut butter cookies and hazelnut chocolates and resse peanut butter cups. I will enjoy those for sure.

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723

Here's our tree shot. My DH chooses the theme every year.

• tanya_djamila
    tanya_djamila Member Posts: 1,537

Happy holidays to you all.

The trees look beautiful. A quiet day for reflection.

Mae happy anniversary.

Tany

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,713

Thanks for the happy anniversary wishes everyone.

Tanya, nice to see you, I was beginning to wonder where you were.

Love all the pics!

• tanya_djamila
    tanya_djamila Member Posts: 1,537

Mae got a little cold I’ve been fighting all week. I’ve been reading along blowing my nose all the way. My grandson (25) is in town (lives in Atlanta) I’ll try to visit him tomorrow outside with a mask. I told everyone to stay away bc I know my immune system is fighting a cold already…

I hope everyone is well and enjoying this peaceful time

Tanya

• mara51506

Tanya, glad that an outdoor visit with your son may be an option weather wise, have happy holidays and hope the cold settles down for you quickly.

• booboo1
    booboo1 Member Posts: 1,196

Tanya, I am so glad that it’s a cold and not something worse. Been thinking of you…I hope you and your family all stay well.

Mae, forgot to say a belated Happy Anniversary.

Sunshine, your tree is beautiful! Your DH has wonderful taste!

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,311

Mel it made me so happy to hear you had a great day and forgot about cancer. That's wonderful. And sweetthat your kids are so nice to their step Dad.

Wishing a warm holiday and happy celebration to all.

• mara51506

Filling Christmas dinner, had a nice time. Got a bunch of sweets early in the day and got some grocery gift cards which excites me to no end, rarely pay out of pockets for groceries anymore as between survey money and gift cards, I have tons of gift cards. My family liked their stuff, just woke up from my turkey coma at home. I have not eaten that much at once in a while. Not doing anything tomorrow unless grocery stores are open tomorrow, unsure since tomorrow is also a holiday here, Boxing Day but I believe stores are open.

• Kikomoon
    Kikomoon Member Posts: 358

Happy holidays everyone! So nice to see everyone's photos and read about your days. I had my grown nephews and nieces draw numbers for the great "regifting" and also a drawing for some items that have been in our family and I'd like to keep it that way. Dishes, Christmas decor, travel keepsakes. It was great fun and I feel lighter without all the stuff and enjoyed seeing where the stuff is going. It was really fun, chaotic, and special, I'm so glad we did that. I don't have a relationship with their mothers, (my 2 sisters). One passed away tragically earlier this year and the other one is 50 and has never found her way or figured out what matters in life.

We had DH's family over for Christmas Eve snacks and dinner today and so lucky to have my dear mom who made almost everything for dinner (enchiladas!) Thank goodness almost everything else was readymade and disposable because our kitchen drain line got clogged Christmas Eve morning and backed up into the laundry room, yuck! Perfect timing! Been throwing out bucket rinses in the yard and washing the few dishes we've used in the bathroom sink!!! Caution tape over the kitchen sink! Watching Willy Wonka now and remembering how amazing a real candy land sounded as a kid. Now it sounds like I'd be sick!

• goldensrbest
    goldensrbest Member Posts: 723

A belated Merry Christmas to all! And Happy anniversary to Mae and hubs! We had a marvelous Christmas Eve and Day. My daughter who lives nearby loves to entertain and we had dinner there on the 24th. Then she does a family brunch Christmas morning. And we went back for Christmas dinner. My hubs helped with food prep and our SIL is just the best. He always does kitchen cleanup so there he was loading the dishwasher and hand washing what didn’t fit. I began collecting the Spode Christmas tree dishes in my younger days and then would be gifted serving pieces. But it got to the point that there was no way I would use them as we had sold our dining room furniture b4 moving 2 years ago and instead of keeping them in the dining room buffet, they went in the basement. So I gave them to my daughter and it was so nice to see them again. Our daughter from Philly and her hubs are staying with us until 1/2 so we will be able to spend lots of time together as family. The grandkids love their aunt so there will be lots of game time. And I have 3 more days of infusions but who’s counting. Life is good

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,168

Pocket duty list for the week of Dec 27---

ilowen-- CT Wednesday

• goldensrbest
    goldensrbest Member Posts: 723

Our new home, though in a development of 69 homes, we have tons of wildlife around as there are lots of protected green spaces. There’s a huge one behind us and one on theside. We’ve seen deer, turkeys and have heard foxes calling during the nite as well as hoot owls. Here’s something that makes our one golden with a a high prey drive absolutely nuts: these are part of a flock of 20 or so turkeys that go through our backyard. Sometimes we open the garage door to find them in the driveway.

• mara51506

Pocket duty this week to those that need it.

Goldens, very nice scenery where you are, very nice.

I don't have much going on today, just doing some surveys etc, hoping to start making 10 to 20 dollars a day on it. Would give an extra 300 to 600 per month which I would put into a high interest savings. I figure that I need to be proactive about making more money since costs go up and not sure what or when I will have to move. I will worry about that when the time comes. If I can make more money at home, that would be easier. Have not figured out if want a part time job on weekends. Have to get my booster shot first.

Hope everyone has a good day, Happy Boxing Day to my fellow Canadians!

• mara51506

On a funny slash happy note, found two wigs that had been in their shipping box so long, I forgot about them. That's better than finding cash in the sofa. Busy breaking down and getting cardboard box ready to go out back. Making more room in my entryway. Will be shredding a bunch of old mail as well. Figure I can use boxing day as my day to organize and get stuff out of the apartment.

• livingivlife

My day was spent clearing out stuff from the dining room. Organizing like you Mara. This afternoon I did have a rest. It feels good to sigh a breath that Christmas has come and gone. Had a great day yesterday with just my son and dh. If you have 3 people or 6 people it is just as busy preparing the meal and cleaning up. Never did make it to church Christmas Eve as planned because of the rise of the new variant people were making "reservations " as you are only allowed 50 people.

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 10,052

I hope everyone had a great few days I know I did ! imageMy sweet dd and I!

• micmel

imageMy ds and I !

• chicagoan
    chicagoan Member Posts: 1,044

Mel-Your son's super-cute! Daughter is lovely as always. Glad you had a wonderful holiday. Mine was nice too.

• micmel

thank you Chicago! They make my life go around. Good to hear you had a nice time as well. Gotta soak up the good times for sure. Hugs to you Merry

• ShetlandPony
    ShetlandPony Member Posts: 3,063

Sunshine, that stocking at the edge of your photo. It looks a lot like the one my grandma knit for me when I was little. There is a picture of Santa Claus knit into it, and his beard is soft angora or something. It has my name knit across the top. Is yours vintage?

• livingivlife

Mel- what great pictures of you with your daughter and son. I'm so glad they live close so you can see them often.

• micmel

I couldn't handle being far from them. It would pain me so! They are my sunshine. I need them in my life. My closest family. Gotta have them close. Thank you for the nice words.

Hello SP!

• mara51506

Love the family pictures of you, your son an daughter. Glad they are close and you had a good Christmas!

LivingIVLife, sorry you could get out for church services, perhaps the booster shots coming across the country will get it to the point that any variant will be treated like the yearly flu shot we are supposed to get.

• booboo1

Mel,

You and your kids are so cute! Love the sweats. That’s all we live in on Christmas Day. Gotta be comfy.

I have a question (might be stupid, so be prepared). Does our Stage 4 Diagnosis begin when they find cancer in the bones (or other places)? Or should we use our overall date of diagnosis of BC?

I feel like many of us could actually have been De novo and not have known it. And that’s where I get confused about when Stage 4 is tracked. My BC was diagnosed in 2013, and MBC was diagnosed in January of 2017. Whose to say that I wasn’t actually metastatic from the beginning?

I hope this makes sense. I’m trying to figure out my stats against when and how long I have. Not that I know the magic date…no one does. But hopefully someone will get what I’m asking.

• booboo1

Mara,

I’m so glad you enjoyed yourself at your brother’s house. It sounds like you had a good day.

I was just sitting here thinking about you and thinking that there are lots of employers out there who would love to have you even part-time. You seem like such a diligent and trustworthy person who is good on a computer. Just hoping that 2022 is your year to shine!

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,168

Great pics Mel.

Good question Booboo. I think of myself as de novo. I put that in my profile too. I was diagnosed Stage 2, and 3 months later did a CT that showed in bones and liver. You know it was there for a while, not just 3 months. The liver met was the size of a baseball. I think more would be diagnosed de novo if they routinely did scans when first finding breast cancer. I don't know why they don't. When a woman is diagnosed with breast cancer with a breast biopsy, they should routinely do a CT if nothing else. I know PET's are expensive, but how about a CT? Then they can look at the organs and at least some of the bones. My 3 months won't make much difference in a timeline compared to years, but still. I would never have had the chemo I did, or had the port placed, or maybe even the mastectomy.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,713

booboo, I think technically, stage IV is when mets are found/confirmed. I was de novo, so I use the date of my post scan & bone biopsy MO appt.

and while you could have had MBC for years before knowing it, it’s hard to say when that cell flipped the switch.