Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

My Husband, My Life, My Love, My Family, My Cancer

Comments

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,459

Candy, I am from Canada and although 3 will not stop us from getting Covid, especially with the omicron variant, it overall gives mild symptoms. Most people who wind up in ICU are unvaccinated. I also think most people will get omicron at some point and either have no symptoms or just minor cold symptoms.

At some point, I think covid will become endemic like the flu and we will get a flu and covid shot every year and we should see store closures and that stop at that point.

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,168

Mara-I too think that 3 vaccines are good. My concern is that I had the last (3rd dose) 5 months ago. Do I need boosted? My local hospital in my hometown posts on a Facebook page the number of Covid cases in the hospital, and then further breaks down those that were unvaccinated and vaccinated, then further breaks down those that were past due for boosters. Those past due are ending up in the ICU and on vents too. So does the protection wane over time? If I just had my booster (3rd dose) recently I would think it was ok. But 5 months out is worrisome.

• livingivlife
    livingivlife Member Posts: 454

As mentioned I got my 3rd shot or booster yesterday. Don't think I would go for 4th one at this point. My whole body aches (more than usual) with splitting headache.

Last evening we lost our power for several hours because of the snow storm. My dh and dog were both sleeping while I sat here. At least I could text my dd so she kept me company. Still a few thousand without power. We have those light bulbs in our lamps that charge when they are on. Once the power is out the lights are still on which is great. We do have a generator and propane fireplace if really needed.

• elderberry
    elderberry Member Posts: 1,067

Hi All: off the booster topic. I have my bone marrow biopsy of my upper left arm this Monday. I want to get it done so we can find out what's up but I am worried about the recovery. I expecting pain from being "sliced and drilled" but I am concerned how much it will affect my ability to use my arm and for how long. Fortunately it is the left and I am right dominate. Has anyone had this procedure before? Need a little pocket duty please.

• livingivlife

Elderberry- Definitely here for pocket duty. It sounds painful but it's best to find out what is going on. My thoughts are with you.!

• booboo1
    booboo1 Member Posts: 1,196

Candy,

Nope. The “nurse” at CVS is following the rules according to someone higher up, so why ask her? I’m going to do some searching on the CDC site and see what’s being discussed there. As others have said, the current vaccines are not stopping the Omicron variant, so I’ll continue to watch and see when (or if) a 4th shot is recommended. Until then, not much we can do but hunker down.

• candy-678

Elderberry-- Pocket duty for Monday for you.

Booboo- I don't know how much more "hunkering down" I can stand. Have not seen another human being (other than Zoom) for the past couple of weeks. I have my Lupron injection this week, and my CT the following week, and I am concerned about going to those appointments and being around people. Just that contact can put me at risk. There are 2 ICU beds available for our Region of the State.

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 10,052

Candy~I am with you… I’m sick of not going out as I want to. The only risk I take is getting my Nails done. I wear a mask and wash my hands three times. But I still worry. My son told me today he isn’t feeling well bad body aches. I’m worried about him because this will be the first time he will be sick without me to take care of him. Sigh. Nothing is easy.

Pocket duty for whoever needs it.

• micmel

• kbl
    kbl Member Posts: 2,952

Elderberry, here for pocket duty. I hope everything goes well.

Mel, your nails look beautiful and love the ring too.

• mara51506

Nails are beautiful Mel.

Candy, I don't think anyone has been told to get a 4th shot, not hearing in American and definitely not mentioned in Canadian news. Omicron is spreading so fast that I think we will all get it and as the news says, probably generate a herd immunity with those antibodies and the shots we already got. A forth shot will not prevent the virus, will just continue a likely minor reaction to it. The stuff you do already, masking washing etc will help prevent getting sick.

• livingivlife

Mel- love the nails and color.

Candy- I agree with Mara. You have to remind yourself that you are doing everything you can to protect yourself against this covid crap. You have to get out even for a bit at a time without worrying about what may happen. We can get into such a rut where isolation becomes the norm.

• sondraf
    sondraf Member Posts: 1,679

Candy - if it makes you feel any better, there is massive confusion over here too with multiple lists of who is eligible for what based on their assumed level of immune suppression. From the list for the 4th 'booster' eligible people, CDK 4/6s aren't on there, but Piqray is, along with the normal IV chemos. Also apparently I was supposed to have saved some letter sent to me in October about the third primary shot eligibility and take that to a vaccination center at 91 days for the 4th booster only a) who saves letters and b) it said nothing about that at the time and c) I could still be turned away and d) my GP knows nothing about any of this. I do have MO tomorrow, so Ill ask quick for clarity, but Im not expecting to hear yes, go get a booster (not sure I really want to go through that either. An antibody level test would be better to have I think)

It feels like everything is being made up on the fly at this point so best just to keep washing hands, social distancing, test if you have symptoms, and wearing a mask, all of which can lower the overall viral load you are exposed to. I upgraded to KN95s for risky spots like transport and the grocery store and my trusty Cambridge for less risky/crowded areas. Its really the best you can do and be aware if you have symptoms so you can let your team know quick and get ahold of the treatment drugs.

A few more weeks and this will have burned through the population, so while hunkering down sucks a lot I cant imagine this will go much beyond February.

• tanya_djamila
    tanya_djamila Member Posts: 1,537

Elderberry pocket duty for tomorrow.

Candy I’ll ask about 4th booster at my dr appt. I had my boost in August. Mel your nails look great what a pick me up.

Tany

• booboo1

Tanya,

I will be interested to hear what your doctor has to say about a 4th shot (2nd booster).

• candy-678

Tanya- I too will be interested in what your doc says. As you are in the U.S. also (me too) and you had your 3rd in August (me too). I am most concerned that we that got our 3rd in August or so are 5-6 months out and immunity may be waning just as cases are surging. When is your doc appointment? Can you post your docs comments?

I joined a Facebook group of others on Lynparza when I first started the med. Most are women with ovarian cancer, but a few with MBC. I wanted to talk to them about side effects when I first started the med. The other day a poster asked about the 4th dose. Good timing, I posted, since I had these questions too. A lot commented that they have gotten their 4th dose, or getting it in the next couple of weeks. So, there are those out there on Lynparza that are being advised to get it. Some are posting from Canada, or the UK, but also some from the U.S.

Pocket duty for the week of Jan 10--

Elderberry- Bone marrow biopsy of arm Monday.

Edited to say--- KBL did you get your MRI yesterday? When will you hear results?

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,713

Morning view from the travel trailer 🙂

More insulation work today, then an appointment with my local oncologist tomorrow to schedule my Herceptin for next week.

• kbl

Great pictures, Mae. Love the wildlife.

Candy-678, yes, I was able to get the MRIs yesterday. I will hopefully get results tomorrow. They are very quick to post them, but not on the weekend. I'll keep you posted. Thank you for asking.

• katyblu
    katyblu Member Posts: 223

Good afternoon ladies. It’s been awhile since I’ve posted, time away with my family for the holidays. There’s so much to catch up on!

Mel - Love your nails! I hope that seeing your son succeed and stand on his own brings you such pride, happiness, and love for the man you have raised. And I am so happy you’ve found someone to talk to, it really makes a difference.

Mara - I’m so sorry you fell again! I hope the cleats help and you can get back to it!

Mae - I love the pictures! All the animals are sooo cute!

Elderberry - Definitely in your pocket for Monday! I hope that the pain isn’t terrible and the healing happens quickly.

Moth - I am so sorry! Definitely thinking about you and hoping your new treatment gets approved so you can start soon.

I know I’ve missed so many others but just know that you all are in my thoughts. I read the thread as much as I can and cheer or cry with you all. Thank you for being such a wonderful community!

• booboo1

Katyblu,

So glad to see you again. We miss you girl when you’re not here, but spending time with family is the BEST. Just letting you know I did notice I haven’t seen any posts from you….and your family here misses you too!

Big hugs,

• micmel

Hello Katy~ good to see you back again. Welcoming you with a smile and a hug.

Thinking of KBL results! Good vibes being sent.

Elderberry~ thinking of you for pocket duty tomorrow

Mae~ our wildlife correspondent checking in with awesome pics of cool ass animals half of us have never headed of before. Lol. Awesome cabin.

Hello living , Moth, Tanya, BooBoo, Candy , Sondra !

• livingivlife

KBL- positive thoughts sent your way for good scan results

Elderberry- still on pocket duty for biopsy tomorrow

Katyblu- so glad you spent holidays with family. Great to have you back

Mae- thanks for the great wildlife pictures. Special to wake up to nature at its best.

Hi to everyone and enjoy your evening!

• micmel

my son has been moved out. Officially a week , it feels like a month. He came down with something this weekend and was in bed all weekend. I am glad I wasn't at risk. Would have been , but since he moved I am not. That's a positive. He works with the public. My first instinct was to run over to take care of him. But I knew I couldn't. We helped my son move out and i feel good about it because of the 9k wedding I gave my dd. Now she wants to move and is asking for help. I haven't mentioned it to DH yet. It's always something. I'm thinking about tax time. Soon. Which she'll get a return . Well use that as well. Nothing like being a parent. I don't have one I can ask and either does DH. He's the provider with a kick butt job. Works so hard he does. I adore him so much. He's a good man. I wouldn't. Trade him for the world.

I’m thinking about everyone this evening. Goodnight ladies. Haven’t seen SeeQ either.

• seeq
    seeq Member Posts: 1,166

Hey Mel - I'm here! I've just been busy. I got a new washer dryer on Thursday (had to leave my favorites when we sold our house), so I've been playing catchup on laundry - ugg. Friday - researched and selected a new PCM...and I think a new cancer center - surprisingly not too far from where I live. Now, I just need to set an appointment with the PCM for a referral. DH and I have been married 35 years today, so we went out for a nice dinner Friday night. Saturday, we drove to Oklahoma and bought a pontoon boat, then went to an Elvis birthday party - fun! Today was grocery shopping and a stop to get some farm fresh eggs on the way home. Oh, and I trimmed a rose bush that has been squeaking along my bathroom window and driving me crazy. There are several other bushes that need work, but the squeaky one was first! Tomorrow should be a day for downtime, I hope.

Mel - sorry your son is sick, but glad you are not at risk. Helping our kids is what we do. DH is driving to California next week to help my daughter move cross-country (and closer to us!). We've helped all of them financially - it's so hard to get started when your weighed down with student loans or other debts, and we can do it.

Mae - fun animal pics!

Elderberry- pocket duty for tomorrow - hopefully this solves the enigma and isn't too painful.

Candy - I got my third Vax (Moderna booster) in August, too. I didn't know 4th shots were recommended yet. I'll be interested in what you find out.

Prairiesea- I'm glad you got to travel and spend time with family. I intend to keep planning things in the future as long as I can.

SondraF - I'm that person, the one that keeps all the letters - even when I think I should probably just toss it, I just can't do it. They all go in a file.

Waving to booboo, LivingIVLife, Tanya, Katyblu, Mara, KBL (and hanging around in your pocket waiting for MRI results), and everyone else

• kbl

Hi, Mel, LivingIVLife, and SeeQ. Thank you for thinking of me. I had the test Saturday, so no results yet. Hopefully today. I have doctor visit this morning with bloodwork and Faslodex. Yippee!

I’m sorry your son is sick, Mel. I hope he recovers quickly.

• candy-678

Mel- Sorry your son is sick, but good that you were not exposed.

So, I had a tense conversation yesterday with my "texting buddy". I call him that because we mainly text. We do talk on the phone some, and before Covid we went out and did a few things together. He really is a good friend (the best I have, I don't have many friends). Anyway, we were texting yesterday, and our "conversation" got a little heated. I have been feeling some jealousy/envy feelings lately towards him. He is my age, works full-time, is pretty healthy, and is always on the go. Covid fears don't keep him down. I have posted on here before about him going to car shows and festivals, going out to restaurants, etc.

He made a texting comment to me " most people would not stick around with someone with your health problems". That stung. I know we have talked on here about people having to face their own mortality and some cancer patients losing their friends. I texted him back "Wow, I would never leave a friend just because they have cancer" and reminded him anyone, anytime can get cancer.

We then picked up the phone and actually talked. We talked an hour. I told him of my jealous feelings towards him sometimes. He suggested I talk to my "cancer ladies" about this.

Do you all ever feel jealous of your friends that are still just living their lives? Working, doing things we no longer feel like doing, etc.

I need to work on my feelings. They are wrong. He is just living his life, like he has a right to. I just miss my health, better financial days, and things I used to do. But, wow, guys look at things differently than women. That is another thing I envy about him--- being one-dimensional and kind of a "blonde". And not thinking about things too much.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,713

Candy, I don’t get jealous, I’m pretty “go with it” by nature but you are correct about guys seeing things differently in general. This is likely part of the reason that far more men leave their spouses after a significant health diagnosis, they just move on, where we tend to adapt to the changing roles.

Your friend does have a point though about dealing with your feelings, although I wouldn’t consider them wrong. They are there and valid but not productive. It’s with sincerity and respect though that I say, you do seem to be dealing with a high amount of fear from Covid and some shopping, outdoor and general activities are probably safer than you think. Perhaps, meeting someone outside for coffee and a chat (while distanced) or making a quick trip to a store might help you feel more confident and less isolated. what works for me is digging beyond the numbers provided by media. For example, in the county I’m in now, at the cabin, the positivity rate is 26%, which sounds bad but that’s per 100,000 and there aren’t anywhere near that population here. The actual new cases for a 7 day period was 0.7 ( that’s 1 case). The real risk in certain areas and situations may be far less than you think.

You can also join us on the MBC zoom call this afternoon, if you’d like a bit of community 🙂

• mara51506

Candy, your texting friend was blunt but unfortunately not incorrect that other people might not want to hang with us. Not everyone but some. Not a fault of ours and perhaps the fear they may hold about it. You of course would support someone, probably pre cancer for you and certainly after cancer. I am glad you talked about it.

I do think that getting out, even if outdoors if that feels better would be invaluable for you and the isolation. If you have a car, taking a short scenic drive if the roads are OK would give you something else to look at, join more zoom type groups too so you are talking to people. Feel better.

I am planning to go take care of my health card and ontario ID card today. Debating walking there as it is not farther than I have gone before. Just have to leave the house and pause the moneymaking for a bit.

• livingivlife

Candy- At times I have been jealous of things that people are able to do. It's not often but the feeling still rears its ugly head. At the time I retired from work is when I found out about my MBC. I try to do things I use to do although now with limited ability. Covid has definitely set us back . The comments made by your friend was not called for at all. I think with this disease you certainly learn who your true friends are. After I retired I continued to have luncheons out with co workers. Since I was diagnosed I haven't seen one of them or talked to them. One woman I was close to actually moved away , didn't even tell me or say goodbye. Another friend (not from work) I haven't heard from either so like you I do not have alot of friends. It is still important to get out and enjoy some activity.

• mara51506

Living, I hear you on the limitations. My mind is the biggest limitation for me. I just get stuck on the wheel about falling but realistically I know I won't fall. I am going to take the walking poles or at least one and wear cleats until I see if the sidewalk is all dry. My driveway is clear for the most part but you never know with black ice, stow another pair of sneakers so i can swap out the cleats. We will see.