Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

My Husband, My Life, My Love, My Family, My Cancer

Comments

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 10,051

I am pretty hungry actually myself. My appetite is a strange thing. It’s either there or it’s not. I want a huge meal. Like seafood. Yummy. Gotta a paint by number project I need to start. . image

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,457

Enjoy your project Mel!

• chicagoan
    chicagoan Member Posts: 1,043

That painting project looks like it will be a lot of fun.

My appetite is always good. I'm glad but I've been trying to lose a few pounds.

• livingivlife
    livingivlife Member Posts: 454

Mel- I love the paint by number project.(especially the beach scene) That's what I suggested for Candy that she could try.

I only paint furniture. That's my hobby.

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293

mel, celebrating your good blood results & fingers crossed for your scan results!

not much new here, it's day 3 post chemo. I'm feeling tired but chugging along. We're having a weird spring frost (Vancouver is supposed to be warm for heavens sake!), even got snow which is still all over the shady part of the rear gardens. My poor plants were all excited for spring already - I hope they survive but I expect some things have got frost damage.

also very upset by situation in Ukraine :(

hugs everyone

• tanya_djamila
    tanya_djamila Member Posts: 1,537

Moth so horrified by Ukraine. Just mans inhumanity to man. I did plant seeds yesterday and I see birds or some critters having fun. They've already eaten collard green plants (2), the celery plant was dug up as well. When I looked today I was thinking why do I keep doing this again?

Mel I'm glad your tumor markers were in the teens. it sure makes you feel optimistic about upcoming scans. Paint by numbers looks fun. Let me know it it's messy and I would love to see the finished work. You are so artistic anyway. I remember the wedding and holiday decorations and of course the masks.

Mara I cook with lots of ingredients. It just makes things more flavorful. But I, for instance don't cook breakfast everyday. I make spinach, chop up shitake mushrooms, onions, garlic, carrots, scallions, parsley, ginger, jalapeno, and then add some olive oil sauted all the ingredients and sprinkle feta cheese. This is my breakfast for a few days. I usually eat some bread with this and of course my coffee. I don't care for eggs. I tried just eggs which was alright but I ended up throwing out unused portion because it only lasts 10 days after it's open and I have real egg eaters here and no one wants to try plant based anything.

Rosie I hope you're doing better after your surgery.

Waving hello to Kitty, Mae, Booboo, SeeQ, Chicagoan, Runor, Candy, LivingIVlife, Sondra, 50's girl, and everyone I forgot to mention. Take care ladies.

Tanya

• kbl
    kbl Member Posts: 2,950

Mara, I love your descriptions of what you make for yourself. I detest cooking and am so picky.

I got a call from my gastro today with the results of my yearly endoscopy. I started Xeloda and Faslodex last September, so I’ve been on it five months. At my worst, I had the cancer in three parts of my stomach, called the angularis, antrum, and body. They now say there was no cancer found in the angularis and antrum, just in the body. I have been able to eat again since starting Xeloda and Faslodex and have even gained nine pounds back. It’s the most I’ve been able to gain since starting Ibrance and Letrozole. To me it sounds like it’s working better for me. My spine is no better but no worse, so it’s stable right now. I’m so grateful.

I just can’t understand why this war is happening. It’s heartbreaking.

Moth, I hope your treatment is going okay.

Runor, I hope you’re feeling better.

Hi to all

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,708

KBL, woohoo 🎉

• micmel

yeah on stable KBL!

• livingivlife

KBL- YES !! Great News 👍

My thoughts are also with the people of Ukraine.

• micmel

good point living. It really is such madness for nothing

• kbl

Thank you all. Heart

• tanya_djamila
    tanya_djamila Member Posts: 1,537

KBL great news dear. Happy you were able to eat and gain with this treatment.
    Tany

• kittykat9876
    kittykat9876 Member Posts: 420

Yay KBL

• mara51506

KBL, I am happy to hear you don't mind my comments about my attempts at cooking. I am no cook but do like to put things together. I am already thinking about the mushy potatoes in my potato soup, wondering if I can take the trouble to remove some of them and put them in the frypan with a sausage round, beans and an egg or two. Maybe even cook up the soup contents themselves. Who knows? I am also happy to hear stable.

I am so sad about Ukraine, reason it is happening is because of a power hungry dictator who does not care about any lives lost, just wants more power. Monsters.

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,168

Paint by numbers--- is that like when we were kids and colored pictures that were numbered? Like color all the #1's blue, all the #2's yellow, etc and it created a picture? I could try it, of course, but I am not a "crafty" person. Art and coloring and making stuff were not fun for me even as a child.

My sister told me I should walk around the mall, or sit and people-watch. I didn't enjoy that pre cancer so why would I enjoy it now. I want to do stuff I enjoyed when healthy. Maybe not physical stuff--- working or yardwork--anymore, but something along the same lines as what I enjoyed before. But the Pandemic has sidelined those things. And I just do not feel good anymore--- mild nausea all the time and horrid fatigue.

KBL- I am glad to read that your scope came back with good news.

Well, I signed the roofing contract yesterday. They are to put my new roof on in a couple of weeks, weather pending. I felt so weird after signing the contract. A new 20-year roof. I wish I could be around for those 20 years. Will it help my family when getting ready to sell my house. "Normal" people would not be thinking that way. I know no one knows if they will outlive a 20-year roof, but I bet they don't think about it like we have to. I hate this.

• goldensrbest
    goldensrbest Member Posts: 723

KBL - what reassuring results🎉🎉👏🏻👏🏻

Have a good weekend friends

• kbl

Thank you, everyone.

• mara51506

KBL, I am glad about the results as well, may have already said so but going to say it again.

Doing a similar breakfast but with 3 eggs, 1 cup pinto beans and a hashbrown, will probably chop it in my wee chopper and mix all the goodness together. Also rearranged things so that my stove and burners are free, just have to remember to empty the oven when I need to use it. I also love that I am using my breville to cook the hashbrown and using my burner to keep eggs and beans warm. I know I can use the oven at the same time but I would have to rearrange things to do that to store the unused items that live in the oven. Also added some butter. Will try some different seasoning like a bacon maple seasoning to add a different taste as well. Will still use italian too. Like the different tastes I am getting.

I also woke up with the theme from the A Team going in my head and have been humming it. I have not watched in years so that is pretty weird I must say but better than being depressive with myself which I have done too much.

Edited to add that the entire breakfast was filling and delicious and will tide me over until dinner time. The maple bacon, salt and italian seasoning were lovely. Better than any Tim Hortons breakfast sandwich I have had recently and all ingredients together are better here. Only change I have learned I need to make is order of cooking since the hashbrown took longer to make and of course the eggs and beans are much faster so they are both warmer. I may have to replace some black beans with pinto beans and save the black beans for the canned chili I enjoy which ironically is a Tim Hortons brand. I am also going to find a way to make croutons out of bread to add to said chili.

I arranged things now so that my oven is always accessible since I am liking to cook some things in a pan.

• kbl

Thank you, Mara.

What's funny is sometimes I start humming a song out of nowhere and can't figure out why. Then my husband says the song was on the TV. I don't watch TV in the morning. I sit in bed and look at my phone while drinking my coffee, and he watches the news or whatever. It's too funny.

I have had waffles, potato chips, and pistachio nuts today. Yep. Crap food at its finest. Can't wait to step on the scale tomorrow. Lol. Every now and again I don't care what I eat. I guess it's my way of celebrating my good endoscopy results. Haha

• Kikomoon
    Kikomoon Member Posts: 358

yay for your results KBL and bloodwork Mel, and whoever else I may have missed.

I have been camped out in the bedroom for two days now. It’s cold here and dreary, and this is the warmest room in the house. Hope to get out tomorrow for a walk or something. I’m quite glued to the situation in Ukraine. It’s just so sad and frustrating yet inspiring to see the people and president fighting back. Don’t we have enough to deal with in the world? No one needs this.

I have a dentist appointment on Wednesday. I dread the dentist more than anything, I will likely cry the whole time before I even step foot in the office, an irrational fear l know, but the last cavity I had filled hurt. Couldn’t get it fully numb. This is a new dentist who offers sedation if I need it. I need to go. I have to put on big girl pants and just suck it up. Have to be grateful that I live in a time and place where I can get good dental care that (hopefully) will not be too painful.

• kbl

kikomoon, thank you. I understand your fear of the dentist. I had a very bad experience s a child with a dentist who refused to use novacane and told me to raise my hand if it hurt. I did. He did nothing. I stuck my tongue under the drill. Ouch. It took me a long time to go to the dentist as an adult. Believe it or not, if I have a cavity and it's not deep, I now tell the dentist no novacane. If you feel you need sedation, do it. There is no need to suffer.

• mara51506

Kikomoon, I am long overdue for the dentist myself. When they clean my teeth, it is like ice picks. I make them scrape dirt off manually. Have not been there since a tooth was pulled. That was horrible, felt like my jaw was breaking.

KBL, glad you enjoyed your snacks.

• micmel

I hate hate hate the dentist. Yuck

It’s to the point to where I hate the basic visit to even get my flu shot. I’m sick of being Jabbed also. My dss is becoming a nurse. He goes to Alabama university and they have a great progrAm. He’s starting on real people for iv’s and blood pressure etc. he said people aren’t friendly. They usually hate it. So in my Mind the dentist have needles. So they apply also.

• Kikomoon
    Kikomoon Member Posts: 358

oh Mel I’d take jabs and blood draws all day in lieu of the dentist with that drill and the scraping. I can handle the shots in the gums to numb up everything……as long as it can get numb! I will try to be brave though, I really will try, as I have with this whole breast cancer mess, the biopsy, the painful first breast MRI when I had lung Mets pain, port placement, iced hands and feet during taxol, the fitting for the wretched brain radiation mask feeling like being drowned, being strapped with it to that table, staying still for spine and brain MRIs. Not to mention endless pokes and prods, mental torture, and side effects, I can keep going. Jeez Louise, ladies, we have been through a lot. I can do this.

Dss will always have a job, that’s for sure. One of my favorite infusion nurses is moving with his wife to Arkansas, just because. He can quit standing all day and spend time woodworking, maybe do some home health work if he wants. They will be lucky to have him. He always has good advice, lots of knowledge, and a good sense of humor.

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,168

Pocket duty list for the week of Feb 28---

Sondra--- MO Monday

Kikomoon-- Dentist Wednesday

Mel-- Scans Friday

Anyone else??

• goldensrbest
    goldensrbest Member Posts: 723

Kikomoon - our medical treatment is what no one understands except us. The litany of treatments almost sound like torture. And despite how much we despise and curse the needles and other invasions, we still show up to find out if we’re ok for now or one step closer to having our foot in the grave. Damn cancer.

HUGS to all of you🤗🤗

• micmel

thank you Candy. So much.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,708

Jumping in pocket duty with assorted Jelly Belly’s

• livingivlife

Kikomoon- with all the cancer treatments you have gone through you would think the dentist would be a walk in the park. But understandably it's another jab and painful experience.

In everyone's pocket with Hersheys Kisses this week.

Hugs