Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

My Husband, My Life, My Love, My Family, My Cancer

Comments

• iwrite
    iwrite Member Posts: 746

Happy Birthday Mae and Kittykat! Those cupcakes/macaroon look so yummy!

Hope you all have a great weekend

• livingivlife
    livingivlife Member Posts: 454

Booboo- Even when I was diagnosed with breast cancer 20 years ago I always questioned the word "survivor ". Even moving on with life I wondered how long do you go on saying you are a survivor of cancer. When I actually die and it's not from cancer? I never used the word to describe myself.

• chicagoan
    chicagoan Member Posts: 1,043

Maybe the best thing is to let the person concerned define themself as a "survivor" if they want.

About a month after I was diagnosed with Stage 4, a woman who has had breast cancer and whose mother and sister also died of it defined me as a "survivor." At first it pissed me off-she said everyone who is living with breast cancer after diagnosis is a survivor. I knew she was trying to be kind and encouraging. She was someone I barely knew who reached out to me and has consistently checked in with me - now we get together for lunch twice a year to celebrate our birthdays. I almost felt like she forced herself on me but I'm grateful. Many people in my life seem to forget that I have cancer or are too uncomfortable to ask about it but she always checks in with me every few months to see how I'm doing.

I now embrace the term. Yes-I will probably die from breast cancer if something else doesn't get me first but I am a survivor. I have survived several years with this disease and I claim the title!!! I can understand those of you who reject it.

• Rosie24
    Rosie24 Member Posts: 1,026

happy birthday to Mae and Kitty!! That’s cool that you two share your birthdays.

I got home from the hospital on Thurs and am making a go of it. Bed is still my comfy place. I will try to be up more tomorrow. Maybe

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,457

When survivor comes with encouragement, I bite my tongue. I don't prefer the term but don't want to discourage someone who is trying to help.

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,168

Sunday morning all.

Pocket duty list for the week of Feb 21---

Emac- Brain MRI Monday and biopsy Tuesday

Goldens- Scans Monday and MO Wednesday

• kittykat9876
    kittykat9876 Member Posts: 420

In both Emac and Golden's pockets this week.

• livingivlife

Rosie- so glad to hear you are home from the hospital and having a well deserved rest in the comfort of your own bed

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723

Rosie, so good to hear from you! I'm glad you're home and in your own comfy bed! How are you feeling?

• tanya_djamila
    tanya_djamila Member Posts: 1,537

Rosie welcome home!!!!! Perfect place for healing.

Mae and Kitty happy birthday. Cupcake and cookie sugar are my favorites. I like the chocolate pecan one and will probably now have to go to the bakery to get some type of decadent sweet.

Booboo I like your choice. That cupcake (the one you chose) looks like a birthday cupcake.

Emac and goldens I'm available for pocket duty.

KBL I love your Christmas light story. I think that's how our marriage is. And I admit I am a pain in the butt lots of times. He's very nice about it and I've learned to be nicer about his quirks. A long marriage that works is really a partnership between friends.

Yesterday I took a walk along the shore. I thought I'd share a picture of a baby hammerhead that was caught and released. I've never seen one in the wild and will think differently about swimming here.

Tanya

• booboo1
    booboo1 Member Posts: 1,196

Tanya,

Wow. That is very cool. Especially seeing a baby one. Not something we see every day, huh? I hope you are feeling well, my friend.

Yes, the cupcake business around the world will be getting a spike in orders thanks to Mae. I think you should get royalties, Mae :

Slow lazy Sunday. I made chicken breasts in the crockpot, and I must say they were not very good. I always thought that everything from a crockpot was good….well, it ain’t true. Oh well, move on to try to think of something for tomorrow night. That’s what I hate most…trying to decide what to have. Ugh!

• kbl
    kbl Member Posts: 2,950

Tanya, so true. We’ve been together 40 years and married 38 this June. Wowza.

Booboo, I absolutely hate cooking. I am one of the worst. I keep trying. I’ve been making a meatloaf with a McCormick packet, and it comes out great. There are a few things I make well but not many.

In pockets for anyone who needs it.

• goldensrbest
    goldensrbest Member Posts: 723

We have been married 43.5 years, dated for 7 yrs before. Got married 1week b4 hubs started medical school. Seems like yesterday…….and life was so much simpler back then. But I look at all our conveniences now and know we wouldn’t give them up. And medicine has come such a long long way. Remember all the Lamaze babies? Now everyone gets an epidural -lol! But the medicine when I was first dx at age 34, thankfully is not the same medicine that is helping me today. waiting for my tests to show up,on Mychart from todays scans

• tangandchris
    tangandchris Member Posts: 934

I didn't know where else to go with this....

My mom told me this morning that her nipple is bleeding. She fell a few weeks ago and bruised her ribs, but her doctor doesn't think it's related and wants her to have a mammogram.

She's never had one and is very stubborn about doctor stuff in general. But I am really concerned.

Has anyone had experience with this?

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293

tangandchris, papillomas are a common cause of bloody nipple discharge so it might turn out to be nothing but it definitely should be followed up with a mammogram & possibly other imaging.

I hope she will get her follow up tests soon.

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,457

I definitely think a followup is in order for you Mom. A mammogram will help to determine if there is anything to worry about or something benign as Moth mentioned. In your pockets until you find out.

• emac877
    emac877 Member Posts: 688

Happy belated birthday Mae and KittyKat!

Tanya - Yes, I have no problem with pain meds and Wellbutrin. I take Norco 5/325 when I need it and also tylenol/ibuprofen.

MRI tonight but I cancelled the biopsy. My employer is a healthcare system and the biopsy was scheduled at a different hospital in a different system. Because of insurance it was going to be over $2k to have it done there so I let my MOs office know I needed to have it done within my employer's system. I hate the insurance game. I got hit with several large medical bills and my mortgage this week so I just couldn't do it. So that is bumped out a few weeks probably but I appreciate the pocket duty. Can you imagine if we could hold an actual pot luck?! Oh my word!

• kbl

Goldens, that’s awesome. Congratulations on being married for over 43 years.

Tangandchris, I just wanted to let you know I’m thinking of you. I hope your mom will get it checked

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 10,051

hello Ladies~ I'm a bit behind and in a funk. Waiting for bloodwork and scan. I hate feeling this way. And I can't escape it. I had my therapy and it's helping. But it's hard.
    move been thinking of you all and have some belated birthdays to wish. Mae, kitty. Hope your days were special.
    goldens. Loving those dogs. tanya hello friend.

• kittykat9876
    kittykat9876 Member Posts: 420

Thanks Mel, I had a lovely day with Beck and Finn and my son and other daughter both called. I'm sorry you're still not feeling good but glad the therapy is working.

• sondraf
    sondraf Member Posts: 1,679

Went for a walk before dinner and saw a filming rig around the corner which is almost directly through our backyard. Security guy told me it was for this new Netflix show called Treason, filming tomorrow. They have a huge cherry picker with lighting rig all set up and more lighting all over the place. A little concerned to see some giant extension cords plugged into what looked like the direct electricity grid under the road, so hopefully our power doesn't go out.

Not nearly as cool as when I left work to get lunch one day and ran into the filming of the tv short follow up to Love, Actually. I can confirm that Liam Neeson is as gorgeous in real life as he is on the screen!

• livingivlife

SondraF- that is so cool. I bet living in London there are numerous films being produced and stars hanging around. In our small corner of the world where we lived in Ontario they film the show The Handmaids Tale which I love. You can see the bridge they walk over and the bank where I worked.

• goldensrbest
    goldensrbest Member Posts: 723

So my scans came back and there are some questionable things:

Bone scan picked up possible Mets to right shoulder but that was where I had the major infection right after thanksgiving. Hoping it just picked up continued inflammation.

CT showed a problem with a new lesion in my right hip, referring to possible fracture when weight bearing
    I see the MO tomorrow so there will likely be MRIs scheduled. Also my blood work came back showing some type of anemia - more to discuss.

And on top of everything else the CT showed collapse of the inferior vena cava (carries blood from the torso and lower body to right side of heart) in upper and mid abdomen. This will require further work up. I refuse to panic until after my MO appointment when I know what’s what. Cancer sucks, which we all know.

• runor
    runor Member Posts: 1,615

Hi to all. Been under the weather. Pretty sure I've had my date with Mr. Covid. The date is ongoing at this point. Question for anyone else who has had covid, did your skin hurt? My hide literally feels like someone went over it with a wire brush and removed the top layer. My shirt hurts! Laying down hurts! Sitting in a chair hurts! It's the craziest thing. I passed out yesterday and laid on the kitchen floor for 20 minutes before I could get up and get back to bed. Sprawled there in my t-shirt and gonchies thinking, wow, this is sexy. Also glad I vacuumed since my face was now flat on the floor. Not a great day. Today have had 2 close calls with the ringing ears and wonky vision but managed to not actually land on my face, so that's good. I've had colds that were way worse, the cold like component is not that bad for me, but the sickness part is unlike a cold. I know I didn't explain that well. So ... hurting hide anyone or is it just me?  Hugs to all, along for pocket duty, I'm going back to bed now. 

• chicagoan
    chicagoan Member Posts: 1,043

Goldens-those do sound concerning but I agree-no need to panic until you talk to your MO. Sometimes something in my report sounds so frightening and then it turns out to be nothing. Hope that will be the case for you.

Runor-Hope you feel better soon. That almost sounds like shingles. Rest up.

Sondra-I am a little jealous-how dreamy to see Liam Neeson up close like that!

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723

Sondra, how cool! I saw an interview with Liam Neeson about him doing the voice of Aslan in the Narnia movies. What a gracious man.

Goldens, oh that really sucks! I hope your upcoming appointments give you some answers and that there are still lots of treatment options for you.

runor, I'm so sorry you've been so sick! I'm sorry that everything hurts! Yuck, just yuck!!!

• kbl

Goldens, I hope everything turns out to be minor. I’m thinking of you and hope your MO can put your mind at ease. Damn cancer.

Runor, I’m so sorry you’re so sick. I do not know anything about your questions, but I want you to know I’m sending hugs and hope that you feel better soon. That sounds scary.

• livingivlife

Goldens- scans can be so confusing and concerning. Glad you have an appointment with your MO tomorrow to straighten things out for you . I'm on pocket duty right along with you.

Runor- I do hope you will feel better soon and your awful date is over soon. You poor sweet woman.

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,168

Goldens- Pocket duty for you tomorrow. Post when you know something. I will be watching for your post. Hugs.

runor- I have not had Covid yet,, one of the rare ones I guess. But, like Chicagoan said, sounds like shingles.

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293

Mel. I'm sorry you're feeling blue. It just all sucks sometimes and there's nothing to do but acknowledge it. I hear you.

Goldens, well booo, I dont like that but I'm glad you're seeing someone soon and will get more info.

runor, I agree skin hurting makes me think shingles. I hope you feel better soon and if not, get a dr to look at you

My neutrophils are up high enough for treatment so looks like I'm back in the trodelvy chair tomorrow. My hgb is still low but not low enough for transfusion so I'm kind of dragging myself around... on the plus side, my liver values are mostly normal so maybe that's a sign that the liver mets are already shrinking? I hope so.

Had a huge vegan pizza takeout yesterday and enjoyed it so much - nice to have an appetite and be able to taste things. By this weekend I expect I'll be back to forcing myself to eat... oh well, if it's working, then well worth it for me.

Hugs