Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

My Husband, My Life, My Love, My Family, My Cancer

Comments

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,167

Happy Birthday Mara.

Hello to all.

• sondraf
    sondraf Member Posts: 1,679

Happy birthday Mara!

• emac877
    emac877 Member Posts: 688

Happy birthday Mara! Have fun!

• denny10
    denny10 Member Posts: 421

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARA, have fun especially throwing axes:)

Kittykat, glad you are back home . Warn those home nurses we are watching them !

Keep safe everyone.

• kbl
    kbl Member Posts: 2,949

Happy birthday, Mara.

My daughter’s birthday is today. She turned 33. That’s how old my mother was when she had me, and now I feel really old. Lol.

We’ve gotten two desperately needed inches of rain from Nicole in northern Florida. It hadn’t rained here for months.

• moxie32
    moxie32 Member Posts: 51

Happy Birthday Mara

• Kikomoon
    Kikomoon Member Posts: 358

Hapot Birthday Mara! I am glad you are happy, that made me smile 😁

• elderberry
    elderberry Member Posts: 1,067

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY Birthday, Mara. Yell as you throw the ax "This one is for__________" fill in the blank. I am pretty sure my ax would fall short of the target and put a hole in the floor.

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 10,050

lol Denny. Happy Birthday Mara. Have a great time throwing axes. Sounds awesome. Gotta have some ummphhh to do that. More power to you. Those walks paying off. Hugging you!

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,449

Thank you so much Mae, looking forward to it.

• mara51506

Happy birthday, I am doing laundry which I count as a present. Not doing much today, walking in between chores before this evening. Going to try to do more so I can fill up at Swiss Chalet tonight. It definitely feels like November with the somber gray skies for observing Remembrance Day here in Canada, UK and Australia as well as Veterans Day in US. We used to treat it has a holiday but that is not observed by stores or most places, just the odd place does that.

Breakfast will be some sort of bean meal, will be making up some sort of egg salad as something different later today I think.

• mara51506

Oh goodness, getting a present from the property manager, hallways being cleaned! That makes me happy to see. Unsure if they will be doing it all the time but getting the worst of it out is a good thing. They are using a shop vac to pick it up.

Breakfast was spinach, corn, some beans and pasta. Put them in my chopper to combine. Added some cheese on top, microwaved 70 seconds and then added wheat bran, steak seasoning along with italian. Used a bit of mayo to bind together. Added a bit of mustard for some extra zip as well and I am enjoying this.

• livingivlife
    livingivlife Member Posts: 454

Mara- Have a HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY Mara. Have a great dinner tonight and good time tomorrow. Looking forward to your news on the axe 🪓 throwing 😀

Kittykat- glad you are home again!.We are in your pocket watching closely over home care nurses!

Today in Canada 🇨🇦 it is Remembrance Day. While I don't go to the ceremony here we do observe a minute of silence for every brave and courageous man and woman who serve.

• mara51506

Thank you living, will be a nice visit.

• elderberry

livingivlife: I always watch the local ceremony on CTV. My father took part in the landing on Juno Beach on D-Day. He was mentioned in Despatches but we have never been able to find out what the "above and beyond" was. We have tried, at all levels. I am proud of him and he had more guts then his baby daughter has. Everyone who served had guts. And that goes for current conflicts now.

• livingivlife
    livingivlife Member Posts: 454

Elderberry- you should be very proud of your father. D-day was a very tragic battle in the war however it was also a turning point in WW11. My father couldn't go to war because of a medical condition but I do think it bothered him for a long time he wasn't allowed.

• mara51506

Nice dinner out at Swiss Chalet, I would normally have gone for the festive special with the boxed stuffing, salad and chicken but they did not have salad so order chicken, coleslaw and perogies which were good, got overly full so brought home a box of the leftovers, should be able to stretch over a few meals. Dessert was a cheese cake drizzled in chocolate, super rich but very nice. Thank goodness for my enzymes. Went on a drive and then a mini shop, I forgot to order cooking spray so got that and some tinned meat, more for the cats than me. Good seeing nephew, brother and SIL. My older brother joked for me not to drop the axe. I am sure I won't, looking forward to that tomorrow night.

• elderberry

LivingIVLife: Not serving may have made him feel bad but it saved his life and maybe his sanity. War does terrible things to those who fought. My father rarely spoke about his war experiences except in the broadest terms and he stayed in the military until he retired in the mid 1960's. We didn't even know about the mention until both my mother's early death and his death much later.

mara: I can't wait to hear about the ax throwing.

• mara51506

Well, birthday supper was good with perogies, chicken and coleslaw. Had some to bring home and ate some coleslaw, a perogi and black beans which was nice. Will be using the ingredients over the next couple of days.

Feeling off today but not letting that stop me from the axe throwing. Not any particular symptoms and not related to sleep either. I've tested and no Covid causing this. Also a bit depressive which I am not understanding. I think I'll go for a walk either on the treadmill or outside to get some fresh air, that should help me.

• dodgersgirl
    dodgersgirl Member Posts: 1,902

Mara- happy belated birthday. Sounds like a nice for sure

Hope the “feeling off” passes quickly

• mara51506

It is a bit improved after a 20 ish minute walk outside. Totally misjudged how cold it actually was and had to add fleece jacket under my hoodie. I also wore a hat for good measure, after that it was fine. Walk itself was good and I may do more thoughout the day. Already took an expectorant to get rid of stuffy nose feeling. I may go out again. I love my cane, feel safer with it. May also march in here too. I don't go out until 8 pm for the axe throwing, still looking forward to that and Tara deserves my energy so will eat well beforehand and stay active.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,708

The boys had a vet checkup and vaccination by our vet of 20 years while we were in Houston and the weight a whopping 4lbs! They also got new sweaters, which the wiggled out of, then woke us up because they were cold, even with a heavy blanket and space heater. image

Planning to finish the ceiling in the beach bar this coming week and have it ready for cocktails with a friend coming up for thanksgiving.

• nicolerod
    nicolerod Member Posts: 2,877

Been having thoughts about what my husbands time is going to be like..."look" like when I go. I mean, I know he will be very depressed and sad for a time...and lonely...but then I think about who he will be with...hes young and such a catch with no baggage, no debt....almost ready to retire in 3 years and will only be 46 at that time...I feel like the closer I am getting now to the end..the harder it is knowing he is going to live without me... I am grateful to even be here each day and I thank God for it...but I know you all understand my feelings...its so hard bc NO ONE else does.!!!! THEY just DONT. it sucks. No one gets it! I am not READY TO GO!!!! I know..I know...NONE OF US ARE ...right?? I know..I just had to say it. :(

• chicagoan
    chicagoan Member Posts: 1,039

It just totally sucks Nicole.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,708

I’m sorry Nicole. I have those thoughts too, my DH is a pessimist, I’m fairly certain he will become an angry bitter hermit and I really don’t want that for him. So many awful things we have to deal with beyond the physical.

• booboo1
    booboo1 Member Posts: 1,196

Mae,

I get the biggest smile on my face when I see your posts with pics of the boys. They are beyond cute. And it just may be time when those two wiggle their way in to your bed to sleep We’ll see. Glad to hear all is going well for you.

• emac877
    emac877 Member Posts: 688

It is hard, and I agree completely with Nicole. No one really gets it unless you've been through it and had to face the reality of dying and leaving loved ones behind. I am not married, maybe that makes it easier for me? I don't know that any of it is easy but I don't have to worry about a spouse or kids. My prayer is to outlive my parents. They would not do well if I go first. They need me right now as they are dealing with aging related stuff and I think it would devastate them. I think my brother and everyone else will carry on just fine I'm sure.

I also agree with Booboo1, I love pictures of the pets. Mae and Goldens you guys are really good to do that. Those sweaters are great!

• mara51506

Well, axe throwing is pricey but fun. Got one bullseye but most often the axe hit the floor. It was quite the workout as well.

• lw422
    lw422 Member Posts: 1,414

Just poking in to say hello, and a very Happy Birthday to Mara! image

Nicole, my heart goes out to you. People here absolutely "get it." And no, it fucking isn't fair. Damn cancer to hell.

Mae--the babies are so freakin' cute.

• runor
    runor Member Posts: 1,615

It has been a while, about 30 pages worth, since I last dropped in. Forgive me but I am not very up to speed. I read some posts quickly and I have a heavy heart for many who are not feeling so great or doing so well. Nicole ... you express well that thing that keeps many of us awake at night. I am so very sorry.

Life here rolls along. I smiled at Mara's axe throwing. I would invite you to visit me, you might enjoy my basement. We have 3 cords of firewood stacked down there, a big old wood fired furnace and 5 axes, which you may use at will. Our wood is bucked at 18 - 24 inches, so some hefty chunks and you can wrestle a chunk onto the chopping block and choose your splitting weapon, depending on the requirements of that specific piece of wood. My mom was watching me with an axe the other day and muttered that I should be careful. Careful! I have been heating with firewood in this house for 31 years now, I think I know my way around an axe! So Mara you could whack and bash and even open the basement door and fling the axe at nearby trees. I do!  While swearing loudly. 

Love and good wishes to you all.