Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

January 2018 Surgery group! Please see updated list in thread!

Options

Comments

• Philaflash
    Philaflash Member Posts: 69
    edited December 2017
    Options

I met with my BS and her NP today for consents, drain and post op details and they were very helpful in allaying some of my free floating anxiety about the surgery and post op period. Both my oncologist and BS NP are breast cancer survivors who've been through chemo, surgery, radiation and recon. It's been extremely helpful to have empathetic providers. It goes a long way. Good luck to everyone this month.

• houmom
    houmom Member Posts: 102
    edited December 2017
    Options

Good luck for tomorrow AnnieTater, we’ll be thinking of you Heart

• Zoisite
    Zoisite Member Posts: 20
    edited December 2017
    Options

Annie Tater praying that tomorrow goes well and the pain is not too bad. Sending gentle hugs your way. Let us know how it goes.

• 1-greenmom
    1-greenmom Member Posts: 5
    edited December 2017
    Options

I'm new here just diagnosed with IDC. Going in for bi lateral mastectomy with reconstruction on January 3rd. They are also taking lymph nodes too. I've never had any surgery and only been in the hospital to have my children. I'm 44 and have a toddler, teen and tween. I pray I get to see them grow up. I'm cutting all my hair off tomorrow so it's easier during recovery and it will fall out when I start chemo anyway. It hasn't hit me yet... not one tear.

Sending healing thought to all of our January Warriors.

Krist

• houmom
    edited December 2017
    Options

Krist I'm sorry to hear that you have to have chemo, I am still hopeful that my surgery pathology will come back in my favor in that area.

• MoniThor
    MoniThor Member Posts: 44
    edited December 2017
    Options

I am scheduled for surgery on January 5, 2018. Lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy.

About me- I am 60 years old and had a clear mammogram in June. I have extremely dense breast tissue and a history of benign cysts. So when I felt a lump in November, that is what I thought it was. It is also was the radiologist thought it was. Did a paddle mammogram and US. Then FNA and found atypical cells in complicated cyst.

Also he found suspicious microcalcifications near the cyst. BIRAD 4. Had a vacuum assisted biopsy and stereotactic biopsy on December 18th and was officially diagnosed on December 21st. IDC/DCIS grade 3. Rest of pathology pending. I cried the entire 2 hour meeting with surgeon (embarrassing). Thank goodness my sister took notes. This site and all the people posting have been my lifeline. Thank you!

• MoniThor
    edited December 2017
    Options

AnnieTater-Thinking of you today! Positive energy coming your way. (((Hugs)))

• 1-greenmom
    1-greenmom Member Posts: 5
    edited December 2017
    Options

AnnieTater thinking of you today I hope all goes well. Hugs

• ToughCookie101
    ToughCookie101 Member Posts: 119
    edited December 2017
    Options

I’m going for surgery in January too, nipple sparing UMX with expander. Date not yet confirmed. They have me booked for Feb 1st but are looking to move the date sooner. Then I want the other side done after. I’m 33, I want this sh*t out of me for a long life.Best of luck to all!

• ToughCookie101
    ToughCookie101 Member Posts: 119
    edited December 2017
    Options

rdeesides, are you doing the direct to implant or expanders

• Judeshome
    Judeshome Member Posts: 138
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hi everyone, hope you are all doing well, thought I would add an updated list as we have three more for our January group. I will be gone for the weekend, my DH is taking me to Yachats on the Oregon coast tomorrow for 3 days. Hoping for a couple of beach walks and some seafood! Wishing a Happy New Year to all of us I am visualizing a year when our medical issues are not in the forefront of our consciousness!

Blessings and peace, Jude

• ibis
    ibis Member Posts: 56
    edited December 2017
    Options

Jude, Thank you for creating this group and updating the list. It's good to feel connected. Praying for all. I'm probably the oldest in this group and I feel bad for those of you having to deal with this at young ages.

• Judeshome
    edited December 2017
    Options

I am only a few years behind you over70!!...and yes, I feel the same way about younger women who are going through BC. Jude

• rdeesides
    rdeesides Member Posts: 233
    edited December 2017
    Options

Toughcookie-

I am doing direct to implant, pre-pectoral. Skin and nipple sparing.

• grandma3X
    grandma3X Member Posts: 297
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Just popping in to wish everyone well. I had my MX 2 years ago in January. For me, the anxiety was way worse than the surgery. A few tips to share:

A tube top or stretchy camisole is the best way to hold drains. Even with the pocket holders they are still hanging loose. The stretchy camisole or tube top holds them in place better (no pockets needed) so they don’t swing around.

Check into having a paravertebral block for surgery. You will need less pain killers during surgery and for the first several hours post surgery. I woke up from each surgery (2 separate MXs) feeling like I had just had the best nap ever. No pain, no nausea.

Week 2 after surgery is when the underarm tenderness usually starts. It gets better over time but feels like s bad razor burn. Use premie diapers to shield your underarm so that it doesn’t rub against clothing.

Best wishes to everyone here! You are stronger than you think!
  • Judeshome
    edited December 2017
    Options

Hi grandma3X, thanks for the encouragement and the tips,! So good to hear from someone who has gone through this, the waiting is hard for sure Hope you have a Happy New Year.

• houmom
    edited December 2017
    Options

I noticed there was some kind of pain block listed separately to the general anesthesia, so hopefully that’s what I’m getting

• Shadie
    Shadie Member Posts: 31
    edited December 2017
    Options

I am joining the 1/18 "club" as well--PBMX with expanders, no SNB, scheduled for 1/10, due to BRCA+ status. The plastic surgeon hopes he can put the expanders (I am going for the Air Expanders) above the pectoral muscles, but won't know til he gets in there. Very nervous re: pain and infection. Have already spent a ton on hoodies, long sleeve shirts, pillows, wedge pillow, and the billion other items on the suggested shopping list.

Good luck to all!!!

• MoniThor
    edited December 2017
    Options

Hi All- I am hoping someone can help me. I am scheduled for a lumpectomy on January 5th. I received a copy of my pre-op paperwork on my portal which states-

BREAST EXCISIONAL BIOPSY W NEEDLE LOCALIZATION (right)

AXILLARY SENTINEL LYMPH NODE BIOPSY (right)

Nothing about lumpectomy. Which, like everything else, is sending me to a dark place. My incomplete path report noted IDC but also said “with squamous differentiation”. Grade 3. I’m afraid surgeon got the rest of pathology report indicating TN (and other things)and decided not to do a lumpectomy, because I will need a mastectomy instead. This is all speculation on my part, of course. I feel like I’m going crazy. And actually, I’m ok with a mastectomy. I’m just so afraid.

Thank you for listening (or reading...)

• houmom
    edited December 2017
    Options

I don’t think they’d just do a mastectomy without telling you. Isn’t the excisional biopsy the lumpectomy?

• MoniThor
    edited December 2017
    Options

Thank you, houmon, for responding. I hope so. I can’t deal with any more surprises right now. :

• AnnieTater
    AnnieTater Member Posts: 57
    edited December 2017
    Options

Hi everyone! Thank you for the warm wishes. The surgery went well yesterday. Yesterday and today have been pretty painful, but I am home and as comfortable as possible. I’ll check in tomorrow with more detail for you all.

Xoxo

• houmom
    edited December 2017
    Options

Great to hear from you Annie!

• MoniThor
    edited December 2017
    Options

Glad surgery went well, Annie. Hoping your pain is manageable and you are resting well. Warm thoughts sent your way.

• Judeshome
    edited December 2017
    Options

Hi MoniThor, excisional biopsy, lumpectomy.....they all seem so be the same thing. My needle guided biopsy was described as a partial mastectomy in the pathology but it was a needle guided excisional biopsy nevertheless. Just to reassure you, I had very little painfrom the surgery and the waiting and anticipation were much worse than the actual procedure. We all worry about all this stuff, know we are thinking of you and sending positive and healing thoughts xx

• Judeshome
    edited December 2017
    Options

so glad you checked in Annie, sending you healing thoughts x

• MoniThor
    edited December 2017
    Options

Thank you, Judeshome. I can’t tell you how much your reassuring words mean to me. I seem to cry at the drop of a hat (and I’m not usually a crier).

I’m trying to put on brave face for friends and family, but my only solace seems to be coming to this site and reading all the inspiring stories.

• Silbar
    Silbar Member Posts: 8
    edited December 2017
    Options

As Judeshome stated, lumpectomy and excisional biopsy are somewhat similar. The difference is that an excisional biopsy usually is done to go in and remove most of the abnormal tissue in order to get a more exact diagnosis without a focus on getting clean margins. They might try but that is not the main goal.  A lumpectomy is when you already have a diagnosis and the surgeon is removing the area with a goal of getting clean margins. I don't think the term "lumpectomy" is always used on medical documentation because it isn't a detailed description of what the procedure will be exactly. If you are concerned I would call the dr and ask him/her to please explain so that your concerns can be addressed. Good luck.

• grandma3X
    grandma3X Member Posts: 297
    edited December 2017
    Options

I had to wait 2 months between dx and surgery. I was so exhausted and cried at the drop of a hat as well, because I could not sleep. I finally told my BS and she prescribed Ativan. Just one at night before bed really helped. For my second MX I asked my PCP for s prescription when I had my preop. He prescribed just 10 pills - enough to get me to surgery. Be careful - they are supposed to be addictive, so have your doctor prescribe only enough to get you to surgery

• MoniThor
    edited December 2017
    Options

Thank you, Grandma3x. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate the feedback I receive on this site. You all are truly my lifeline.

My BS prescribed Temazepam after I blubbered my way through my dx appt with him. I wasn’t sleeping or eating and my anxiety was (is) through the roof. It has helped. But reading the posts on this site is helping even more.