Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

January 2018 Surgery group! Please see updated list in thread!

Options

Comments

• blessedmomma
    blessedmomma Member Posts: 11
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hi Judeshome,

What a sweet story about your little black cat. I imagine your life on the farm keeps you very busy! Do you have other animals besides Liddy, Harry and Deedee? Our sweet Sherlock, the mystery cat, came to us as we cared for my husband's mother in her last month of life. He spent that entire (cold!) month outside, in her bushes, greeting us as we came and went and generally being our therapy cat. We spent hours over those weeks searching for his owners, checking with neighbors, etc. Finally, when my mother in law passed, I had a vet come to her home and look for a microchip on Sherlock--none there. So, Sherlock came home and was the most perfect, heaven-sent "hello" in a season of a hard goodbye. He really was a therapy cat for all of us. I imagine if he could survive those cold nights, he'll make it a few weeks with slightly fewer cuddles ; )

• MoniThor
    MoniThor Member Posts: 44
    edited January 2018
    Options

Rockcity-I talked to my surgeon about lumpectomy knowing that my IDC is grade 3. It was his recommendation and I agreed. However, mastectomy is still on the table down the road depending on results of final pathology report. Like you, I just want it out ASAP.

• houmom
    houmom Member Posts: 102
    edited January 2018
    Options

Sending hugs greenmom, I know that is going to be the hardest part for me too.

Will be thinking of you tomorrow.

• blessedmomma
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hi Sfrankie,

I think two factors (at least) that really dictate time from diagnosis to surgery is how aggressive the diagnosis is and how extensive the surgery is. It's easier to find time for a shorter procedure, harder to find time for a longer procedure, but my hunch is that for very aggressive tumors, schedules open a little more readily than for something like DCIS, which is slow growing. I imagine there are also regional differences, based on how many docs are available in a given area, and there are probably many other factors I'm not envisioning. Have you shared your worries with your dr? Thinking of you and praying peace and good timing of treatment.

• rockcity
    rockcity Member Posts: 155
    edited January 2018
    Options

MoniThor - waiting to get started and get that final pathology report is tough. It’s been a rough 2 weeks with one more to go before surgery. I keep thinking “agressive cancer, get it out”. I probably should be enjoying feeling healthy right now, but it’s tough to focus on much else. So glad that your surgery is this week. Then you can get on the road to recovery. Let me know how it goes when you can.

• blessedmomma
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hi all,

Talley, grateful to know your lumpectomy went well this morning and praying now for a solid recovery.

Greenmom, You are in my heart, thoughts and prayers, for some rest tonight, peace for your children while you are apart, good margins, great pain management and a speedy, smooth recovery. I look forward to your update when you're able.

Houmom, What a great encourager you are! So glad your preparations are coming along well. You're just a couple of days ahead of me for your surgery, but I don't think I'm as organized as you yet! I'll be thinking of you and your family next week. I understand your worries about your husband needing to do so much more while you're recovering and I'm hoping this will yield some special memories for him and your children in the midst of this hard time.

Rockcity, It must be very upsetting to be planning for one surgical procedure while unsure if something more radical will need to be done. Have you spoken yet to the geneticist who will order your BRCA panel? I was surprised to learn how low the percentage is of women who have a gene that can be positively identified for cancer. I don't know your personal family history or your own likelihood of being BRCA +, but I wonder if your doc is moving forward with this plan based on statistical probabilities that indicate you'll likely be negative for this gene? It's hard to know, since most of us are new to this world, which seems very foreign. But I'm grateful to "meet" you here, though I wish none of us needed to be here, and I'm grateful for the support we can try and extend to one another.

• MoniThor
    edited January 2018
    Options

Thank you, Judeshome, for compiling this list. It helps to know surgery dates to support each other through this journey none of us wanted to go on. I hope you are feeling better and will be completely over the flu for your surgery date. (And birthday!

• Judeshome
    Judeshome Member Posts: 138
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Dear Greenmom, positive energy and healing thoughts for you tomorrow. The anticipation is the hardest part for all of us, but know for you it is harder because of your family. Blessings to you, Jude
  • Talley76
    Talley76 Member Posts: 8
    edited January 2018
    Options

Good luck Greenmom. Didn't sleep at all. Started getting pain around midnight. The bra is very uncomfortable but I think I am better than I thought I'd be. Has anyone taken Tamoxifen. I think my doc is going to recommend it. If so how were the side effects?

• MoniThor
    edited January 2018
    Options

Talley76-glad your lumpectomy is over, but sorry you are in pain. Did the surgeon give you anything to helpwith pain? I have my lumpectomy and SNB on Friday. Hope you feel better today and are able to sleep.

• AnnieTater
    AnnieTater Member Posts: 57
    edited January 2018
    Options

Good morning everyone.

I had my bmx with tissue expanders Friday. So far the pain is pretty manageable think I’m on day five. I can’t do very much which is driving me a little nuts. I have 2 little kids, a one year old and five year old, so my parents are here helping out.

Mostly muscle pain days 1-3, pain from incisions started on day 3. Inscisions from drain esp. painful.

The worst for me is moving to sitting or sitting to standing. Yeeouch!!! I can’t quite get comfy in bed. Pressure on chest wall, lower back pain, and hip pain are all a problem. Now I get the recliner.

Thinking about green mom today and sorry you are hurting, Taley76

• Judeshome
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Hi Talley76, welcome to the January group, I had a lumpectomy too and also found the binder to be a pain...literally. I healed pretty quickly though and felt much better after 3-4 days. The worst part is being inactive although I was able to walk every day. Jude
  • rockcity
    edited January 2018
    Options

Blessed momma- I am currently awaiting BRCA test results. The odds of being BRCA positive in the general population are very small, but for people of Ashkenazi Jewish descent it is one in forty. I had no idea. I learned of it when filling out paperwork for my breast surgeon appt. I started to dig around about extended family history and learned that my grandfather’s brother had breast cancer and two of his grandkids tested positive for BRCA. It is definitely a possibility for me.

AnnieTater - so glad you are able to manage the pain. Hopefully the pain will recede quickly. Same for you Talley76. Sending warm thoughts

• Judeshome
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Hey Annie Tater, how really good to hear from you and know you are recovering. I am a Grandparent and am sure your parents must be glad to look after your children and be on hand to help you too. I really believe that the empathy generated here will help us all heal as we send messages of encouragement to each other.
    Talley76, I have added you to our list so we can stay in touch and if you have questions, someone here may be able to help.

If there is anything any of you think I should do since I started this topic, please let me know. Part of my work is tour directing so I am used to organizing.... my husband says I can be quite bossy lol ...well someone has to be right? As wives and mothers we have tremendous responsibility caring for our families so I think that can be a good trait.
    I am from Oregon and I saw some of you are from California, I would love to know which states you all are from?? Jude x
  • rockcity
    edited January 2018
    Options

I’m from Michigan. Detroit rock city. Right now I would prefer California. It is freezing here

• Judeshome
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hi over70, how are you doing, just heard from Annie who is recovering. Hope you are ok. Let us know if you can

• Judeshome
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hi D1974....how are you, just checking in and hope you are doing well. Jude x

• Talley76
    edited January 2018
    Options

the doc gave me oxy..worse part cant hold my girls for two weeks they are 1 and 3

• ibis
    ibis Member Posts: 56
    edited January 2018
    Options

I am home after a right MX yesterday and feel pretty good. My left MX was a year ago and I had lots of upper back and flank pain then—-none this time, just some manageable breast area pain. I agree with Annie that one of the hardest parts is getting up from a bed or a chair. I’m sure that it is even harder with a BMX. At least I have one usable arm. It must be so hard for those of you with young children not to be able to hold them. I live in California and have a 9 month old grandson in Portland. I’ve seen him every 2 months and hoped to continue that pattern, but it will have to be longer this time which makes me sad. Thinking of all of you. The pre surgery waiting was one of the most stressful parts

• MoniThor
    edited January 2018
    Options

so good to hear from you over70. I’m glad your surgery is over now and you are managing pain. I have a granddaughter who is turning 1 on January 9th. She lives in the same state so I get to see her often. Hope that continues through treatment, whatever that will be....

• Judeshome
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hi Trisha, so sorry you are in pain, but it will get better quickly. Is there someone there to look after your children? You’ll be able to cuddle them soon. Jude

• Princess0303
    Princess0303 Member Posts: 12
    edited January 2018
    Options

I should be having my surgery also in January sometime. Lumpectomy for me. I go for my tests and consults Jan 8th . Wishing everyone well with there surgeries

• Judeshome
    edited January 2018
    Options

It is so very good to hear from you over70: Glad the pain is manageable, hope you will keep us updated with your recovery, how long were you in hospital?

My husband is a Californian, we lived in San Clemente, Fallbrook and Twin Peaks near Lake Arrowhead. My grandson lives in Sandy, east of Portland and 3 hours from us, he is 2 1/2 and the joy of my life as I am sure your little guy is

• houmom
    houmom Member Posts: 102
    edited January 2018
    Options

Houston, TX here. I keep reminding myself that of all the places to get cancer, this is one of the best. My oncology team are at MD Anderson which is very reassuring.

• Talley76
    edited January 2018
    Options

i have my folks...about 15 minutes away. They have the baby and we have our 3 year old....i miss putting my 1 year old to sleep...tomorrow I can shower and take bandage off. I feel gross but not as bad as i thought. Best wishes to all of us😉

• blessedmomma
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hi all,

D1974 and Greenmom, thinking of you today as the day finishes and hoping your surgeries have gone as planned, praying for strong recoveries for both of you.

Talley, Annie and Over70, thank you for keeping us posted. I'm sorry for the pain, especially as you move, and hope this will get better quickly. Talley and Annie, it must be so hard not to be able to hold your little ones. I'm glad you both have family nearby to help with your children, but understand how hard it is to not be able to cuddle and carry them. Over70, I hope you'll be able to see your grandchild soon and not too far off from your usual every-other-month schedule.

MoniThor, Hopfull2 and bren bren, thinking of you as your surgery date draws near, praying that you have some special moments with loved ones tomorrow, that your surgeries on Friday go well and for smooth recoveries for each of you.

RockCity, thanks for sharing more about your history. I'm sorry to hear that you're at increased risk for BRCA, given your ancestry and family history. Praying that the results are negative and you don't need to change your surgical plan or have further surgeries after your lumpectomy. And I hope you warm up in Michigan! This crazy polar weather seems to be over so much of the country.

Houmom, I've heard that MDAnderson is one of the best places in the country--grateful you have top-notch care to see you through this.

Welcome, Princess and good luck with your tests and consults on Monday.

Judeshome, thank you for being the tour guide for our January group. I'm grateful for your time, energy and organizational skills! You asked where everyone is from....I've been in Colorado since college, a little more than 30 years now! I love it here, but also love visiting my family in So. California, where I grew up.

Take care, all~ BlessedMomma

• Nifer
    Nifer Member Posts: 15
    edited January 2018
    Options

I am from freezing cold Michigan too.

RockCity-Where are you being treated?

• rockcity
    edited January 2018
    Options

hi Nifer - I am in the suburbs north of Detroit. My surgery will be at Henry Ford. I plan to have all of my treatments there even though my soon to be oncologist is with St Johns. Wish this arctic blast would let up a little already. Where are you going

• rockcity
    edited January 2018
    Options

hi Nifer - I am in the suburbs north of Detroit. My surgery will be at Henry Ford. I plan to have all of my treatments there even though my soon to be oncologist is with St Johns. Wish this arctic blast would let up a little already. Where are you going

• Philaflash
    Philaflash Member Posts: 69
    edited January 2018
    Options

I'm from South Jersey, right smack in the middle of this storm. I also use the MD Anderson team. They've been terrific so far. I'm so glad to hear our first sisters out the gate in 2018 are recovering. It's getting pretty darn close now. Noticed the post about a shower chair. My docs said I'll be able to shower right away post op. Given my daughter will be with me, is this something I'll need? I've heard of women using those cheap outdoor pvc chairs. Is it the standing that's the problem? I wasn't planning on getting one. Also, is anyone trying to practice sleeping positions and getting out of bed routines? Tips? Best of luck to those next up! Sharon