Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

January 2018 Surgery group! Please see updated list in thread!

Options

Comments

• LKinKC
    LKinKC Member Posts: 41
    edited January 2018
    Options

Thank you for posting the list of the people that have surgery in January. I will be praying for each and everyone of them. I just got my biopsie report on the 28. It was only part of the results. I meet with the surgeon on the 4th so not sure what is next or when surgery is

• Judeshome
    Judeshome Member Posts: 138
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Hi over70, just to let you know I will be thinking of you tomorrow. Hope your Christmas/New Year celebrations went well and you managed to stay flu free. I am just getting over that...hoping to be well by the 16th. Anyway, good luck and let us know how you are when you feel up to it. Xx
  • Nifer
    Nifer Member Posts: 15
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hi all! I'm so glad I found this group. I am having my surgery in 1 week...yikes!! I'm getting pretty nervous. I finished chemo Dec 5 and my nipple/skin sparing bmx with expanders is scheduled for Jan 8th. What is everyone doing to prepare? I found some button/zip up shirts and pjs and a stretchy tank top with drain pockets. Any other ideas of thing I may need?

• brenbren1113
    brenbren1113 Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hello:

I’m new to this site. Diagnosed on 11/20/2017. My DMX with reconstruction is scheduled for Friday Jan 5 at 8:30am. Super nervous. I don’t know if it’s normal but I am constantly worried it’s worse than they think. I’m 33 years old, married one year (been with my husband for 7) we have two rescue dogs.

• Judeshome
    edited January 2018
    Options
    welcome to the January group Nifer, I am doing the same as you, button up shirts etc, I also ordered a mastectomy pillow from pinkpepperco.com after several ladies on facebook flat and fabulous and double mastectomy recommended it for helping with comfort. I will add you to our list. Jude
  • Zoisite
    Zoisite Member Posts: 20
    edited January 2018
    Options

Good luck tomorrow Over70 praying all goes well

Annie I hope your not in too much pain sending hugs your way

Nifer I have been collecting button up tops too where did you get the tank for holding drains I need something like that.

Healing thoughts to all of you here

• Gg1974
    Gg1974 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2018
    Options

I’m having surgery the same day...currently planning for lumpectomy andlymph node removal. Concerned that while neoadjuvant chemo seemed to be very productive I have started having pain in a second site of same breast. Now concerned surgical intervention may change. I’ll learn more tomorrow based on what the nurse said. Good luck to you on your BMX

• Judeshome
    edited January 2018
    Options
    welcome to the January group brenbren1113, I will add you to the January list. My own thought is that this is new territory for us all and I am so grateful for the willingness of others to share their experiences. I am 65 and have been married for 35 years, we have three rescue cats who will love me with or without boobs!
  • arkansasgal
    arkansasgal Member Posts: 15
    edited January 2018
    Options

Good luck tomorrow Over70. Sending healing thoughts to you.

• Judeshome
    edited January 2018
    Options

hi Gg1974, welcome to our group, what is your surgery date

• Judeshome
    edited January 2018
    Options

Did I get everyone?

• blessedmomma
    blessedmomma Member Posts: 11
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hi Judeshome and all,

I am also part of the January group; single mastectomy on left side with immediate free-tram flap reconstruction (similar to DIEP, but a little muscle taken) scheduled for January 10. I'll have dye injection for SNB done earlier that morning. I was diagnosed with DCIS at the end of September. I took some time to assemble my surgical team and now am glad I've had the holidays as a fabulous distraction from all this.

I'm grateful to those on this board who have shared their stories and those who are here in this group as we support one another. I'm thinking of and praying for each of you and like many of you, doing my best to get ready with a little shopping therapy, cooking and cleaning. Judes, what is your cat plan for when you're home? We have the most affectionate cat on the planet whom we rescued two years ago. I'm not sure how he'll feel about not being able to be up and "kneading" me--do your cats do that? We'll find a way through ; ) We also have the sweetest dog ever, who is ancient of days. Our three boys are widely spaced; one finishing college, one finishing high school, one in elementary school. The college boy will be home for my surgery, but back to school (out of state) once I'm home. Wish I could keep him longer, but also glad he'll get to escape my recovery ; ) He'll owe his younger brothers! We have a marvelous friend from church who will come and help out in the afternoons to pick up our youngest while I can't drive, so I'm blessed to be going into this with lots of support and hope that the rest of my January sisters also have great family and friends who are with you to encourage and cheer you.

• Debcesq
    Debcesq Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2018
    Options

I am having BMX on January 9th, without reconstruction. I offer all my prayers. Thank you and may God bless each and every one of you.

• MoniThor
    MoniThor Member Posts: 44
    edited January 2018
    Options

Think about you over70, today. Let us know how surgery goes.

Annie-hope you are feeling better each day.

• Judeshome
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hi Ladies, hope you are all ok....I am getting over flu and hope to recover fully over the next week. Getting nervous as the days go by but glad we are able to support each other. I did another, updated list below and deleted the previous ones. I am thinking of you all, especially those having surgery this week. Let me know if I made any mistakes....Jude

AnnieTater——-Dec 29 Hope you are recovering..let us know how you are...x

over70————-—Jan 2 Let us know how you are, sending healing thoughts x

Talley76—————Jan 2 Hope you feel better soon.

D1974———-——Jan 3 D1974 and Greenmom....Good luck with your surgeries tomorrow...keep us in the loop when you feel up to it x

1-Greenmom——-Jan 3

Hopfull2—————Jan 5

MoniThor————Jan 5

brenbren1113——Jan5

houmom————-Jan 8

nifer——————Jan 8

Debcesq————Jan 9

shadie—————Jan 10

blessedmomma—-Jan 10

Rockcity————Jan 10

Kyates—————Jan 1

arkansasgal———Jan 12

rdeesides————Jan 16

Dskvarla————-Jan 16

Judeshome———Jan 16

Philaflash————Jan 23

Zoisite—————-Jan 24

RedJo40————-Jan 25

ToughCookie——-Jan?

• Judeshome
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hi blessedmomma, just to say welcome and let you know that of our three cats only one lives in the house, her name is Liddy and she is a tiny black cat who actually sleeps in a chest of drawers on our deck! Liddy turned up 4 years ago, starving and cold....how could we not have taken her in? Harry and Deedee are brother and sister and live in the barn where they were born to a stray who adopted us. Liddy sits on my lap but just purrs and drools lol

• Sfrankie
    Sfrankie Member Posts: 14
    edited January 2018
    Options

How long does it "typically" take from diagnoses to surgery? I was diagnosed on 12/12 with ICD. Met with surgeon 12/15 and was told probable lumpectomy and radiation. Genetic testing sample taken on 12/15. Had MRI 12/26. MRI results posted on portal site 12/29. Insurance contacted me 1/2/18 that I need genetic counseling before they can do testing. Genetic counseling will be 1/3. Have not talked to an oncologist. I know that only makes it 3 weeks but I feel like I should be hearing from someone besides my insurance.

• MoniThor
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hi Sfrankie. I am pretty new to all of this too. My dx was on 12/21 and I am having my lumpectomy on January 5th. However, I have not had any other testing yet (genetic, MRI, PET). Perhaps different BC centers do things differently? Or maybe because my tumor is grade 3 (more aggressive) surgeon wants to get it out? It is all so confusing. I hope you get answers soon.

• rdeesides
    rdeesides Member Posts: 233
    edited January 2018
    Options

I had neoadjuvant chemo, but it was about two months from diagnosis until I started chemo.

• houmom
    houmom Member Posts: 102
    edited January 2018
    Options

sfrankie, I found the lump 11/12, diagnosis 11/20, saw BS same day. Between then and the next time I saw BS on 12/12, I had seen the oncologist and PS, and had a breast MRI, CT, chest x-rays, bone scan and liver MRI, as well as several blood tests. I had sentinel lymph node biopsy done 12/18. My BMX surgery will be 1/8. Having all this happen during the holidays adds a lot of delays unfortunately, I would say it's added an extra 3 weeks delay so far for me.

My oncologist has been the one driving most of the planning, so my recommendation would be to at least see one before scheduling your surgery. She ordered a lot more tests than the BS did.

• houmom
    edited January 2018
    Options

Sending good vibes for all of our surgery sisters this week!

• Talley76
    Talley76 Member Posts: 8
    edited January 2018
    Options

hi there i was diagnosed with adh (atypical ductal hyperplasia) on 12-4-17 and I just had my lumpectomy this morning. Doc won't speculate whether pathology will come back clean or with cancer, but she initially told me I most likely had adh in other areas of my breast and probaby left one, but mammo only picked up this particular spot since I have extremely dense tissue. Whether I have cancer now or get enrolled in the high risk clinic, my life has forever changed. What a way to start the year.

Trish A.

• Treat4
    Treat4 Member Posts: 4
    edited January 2018
    Options

I had this same exact surgery on August 22nd. While it’s a longer recovery period, it’s well worth it. I’m feeling great now. Had my revision surgery on Dec. 12. Would be happy to discuss further. Feel free to contact me! Meanwhile, stay strong. You got this

• rockcity
    rockcity Member Posts: 155
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hi all,

I'm brand new to this site. I'm 51 and I got diagnosed with DCIS/IDC a few weeks ago and am scheduled for a lumpectomy on January 10 with sentinel node biopsy and port placement. I went in for a routine yearly mammogram and got called back for a biopsy of a cluster of microcalcifications (about 1 cm) in my left breast. The mammogram does not show a lump, just the cluster microcalcs but yet I have IDC. The biopsy report shows it ER+ (weakly) PR- and HER++ with a high nuclear grade for the DCIS. The surgeon said the MO will recommend Chemo and Herceptin along with radiation. I am still waiting BRCAresults which may mean that I eventually need bilateral mastectomies, but that would push the surgery date back even if I have the results before the lumpectomy. I don't want to wait any longer to get started with treatment. It was already delayed a bit longer due to the holidays. Does it make sense to get the lumpectomy and do a mastectomy if needed after chemo?

This is such a shock. Three weeks ago I wouldn't have even understood what I just described.

• houmom
    edited January 2018
    Options

Once my insurance approved the BRCA testing, the results came back pretty quick (total time from blood draw to results was 3 weeks). I was surprised that mine all came back negative, since the only family history I had was my grandma who had ovarian cancer. Are you set on only having the lumpectomy if the results come back negative?

• houmom
    edited January 2018
    Options

Preparation wise, I'm getting there.

My shower seat arrived today which has probably been the biggest reality check so far. I filled my after care prescriptions. I have purchased several button downs and pull on sweat pants, neither of which I really owned before! We bought an adjustable base bed right around the same time as this all started so no recliner needed for me. I picked up Gatorade but still need to grab some other snacks and drinks to have at home. I do have bendy straws though ;)

I've been trying to clean the house and get laundry done, but I'm still recovering from the sentinel node biopsy. I'm really nervous about my husband having to manage everything with the kids being back in school next week while I'm gone.

• 1-greenmom
    1-greenmom Member Posts: 5
    edited January 2018
    Options

I think I’ve done all I can. In 13.5 hours I’ll be in surgery. It’s been a rough day. I needed Xanax to calm me down. Every time I try to eat I get sick. I have so much support but still as super scared and alone. I had to say goodbye to my baby girl (she’s 3 so not really a baby) as well as my boys. My tween hugged me so hard, and I got an I love you from my teen. I’ve never left my kids. They always leave me to go places. I can’t wsit to see their sweet faces. I look forward to lean margins and good pain management.

I hope those recovering are doing well

• rockcity
    edited January 2018
    Options

The surgeon thought that a lumpectomy made sense even with the biopsy 2-3 grade and HER positive. A positive BRCA test result would get a recommendation of a bilateral mastectomy. I may have find out the genetic test results a few days before the scheduled lumpectomy, but to change the surgery type will definitively push back the surgical date. Im concerned to do that considering that the IDC has some aggressive characteristics. I want that cancer out. It would be an awful feeling though to have a lumpectomy knowing that I would be doing breast surgery again months later

• MoniThor
    edited January 2018
    Options

1-greenmom-Thinking if you as you prepare for surgery tomorrow. I understand and can relate to everything you said. I am so sorry you have to deal with this awful BC. I hope the Xanax helps you sleep tonight. You will be in my thoughts and prayers tomorrow. Please let us know when you are feeling better how you are doing.

• rockcity
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hang in there greenmom. It sounds like you have a wonderful loving family. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.