Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

What’s on your bucket list?

Options

Comments

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,580
    Options

Lilly, regarding LA, I grew up between LA and San Diego but went to LA for concerts mostly but I was saddened to see the state of things driving around a couple years ago. Honestly, I’d only go, if there is something particular you want to see there.

• illimae
    Options

Super excited to check this one off my list 😁

• tina2
    tina2 Member Posts: 757
    Options

This is such a wonderfully silly concept. I love it to (bloody) bits!

Enjoy!

Tina

• sf-cakes
    sf-cakes Member Posts: 527
    Options

Oh my illimae, that looks amazing! And terrifying! What a cool thing to experience. This is a great thread that you created, I think I'll finally work on creating a bucket list. Definitely returning to London for as many theater shows as possible is on that list. Hope international travel feels relatively safe relatively soon.

• lillyishere
    lillyishere Member Posts: 770
    Options

I'm back from California. Thank you all for the great tips. We loved the sun, the beautiful, warm, shiny sun. Living under the grey sky of New England, the appreciation for the sun goes to a new dimension. Also, we went to Coronado beach and even with sunscreen, we got burned really bad, especially my youngest who started to cry all night but the next day wanted to go to the beach again. Getty Center was amazing too. Thank you Ladies!

• illimae
    Options

Crossed another one off my list (sort of). I wasn’t in attendance but I watched the concert via live steam and it was great.

• 7of9
    7of9 Member Posts: 474
    Options

Illimae...nothing like a great concert! Contemplating Imagine Dragons in February and surprising my husband and son...my accountant will be surprised too but not sure I'll be here to enjoy retirement fund so without putting myself in the poor house, thinking I should enjoy it and scrape some off the bull market before it tanks. Thanks for the inspiration!!!

• illimae
    Options

I’m thinking of a white water rafting trip too, has anyone done this and is it as fun as it looks?

• ilowen
    ilowen Member Posts: 78
    Options

I went on a white water rafting trip many, many years ago and it was such a blast! I highly recommend going on one if you’re interested. I would have done it again but the DH is super freaked out about it because he almost died when he was young when he and a friend took an inflatable boat on a river and got swept into a log jam.

• ilowen
    ilowen Member Posts: 78
    Options

I’d love to take a cross-Canada train trip with a good stop in the Maritimes.

• illimae
    Options

Ilowen, poor DH, I can see why he wouldn’t have as much fun.

I’d love a train trip too. I’ve looked into it but the timing isn’t right for now. I hope you get to go 🙂

• tina2
    tina2 Member Posts: 757
    Options

Illimae,

Ever since I was a kid and saw a film of a glass-topped train going through the Canadian Rockies., I've wanted to take that sort of ttrip. And then there's the Orient Express!

Tina

• illimae
    Options

Tina, I saw some orient express pics recently and wow! It’s so beautiful, I’d pay just to walk around and touch the carved wood walls. Stunning.

• nkb
    nkb Member Posts: 1,561
    Options

I rafted down the Colorado in Grand Canyon- not super high risk- but, lots of fun- camping for a week, some swimming and hiking too- got pretty wet, Depending on where you sit- also rafted on the Rogue river in Oregon- shorter trip. Both fun- glad I did them before too sick.

Love trains also The orient express sounds divine.

• seeq
    seeq Member Posts: 1,085
    Options

Mae - you might appreciate this: Eight Day Rafting Trip by Jeanne Robertson (humorist) - which you can listen to on Spotify (if there's a way to link to it, I don't know it). She's a very funny lady telling the story of her and her husband, "Left Brain", rafting the Colorado.

• sadiesservant
    sadiesservant Member Posts: 1,875
    Options

The discussion of trains has my head spinning. There is one in Africa called the Rovos that goes from Durban to Pretoria that I have always wanted to do. It’s amazing, passing through game reserves. Always wanted to do that but… $13,000+ per person double occupancy. Ouch! I always had that one on my retirement list. Now, feels like a trip to Africa would be a bit sketchy for me although I have fond memories of Photogirl’s (Anita) stories of her travels. Who knows.

The bucket list conversation must be on my mind. A colleague had a picture of hot air balloons as her background for a Zoom call this morning. All I could think about was “Right… that’s on the list!” First up when travel is easier will be a trip to New York - hoping that one is in reach for my 60th next year.

• nopink2019
    nopink2019 Member Posts: 384
    Options

Rafting Colorado thru Grand Canyon is fabulous, but try lighter trip 1st. Maybe. Day trips on Arkansas in Canon City CO, Box in Taos NM, San Juan in Bluff UT. 2 to 3 days on Green in CO, Salt in AZ, Chama in NM. I love to raft, but haven't since MBC. Miss it, just not strong enough.

• Kikomoon
    Kikomoon Member Posts: 358
    Options

Rafting scares the crap out of me, probably because I'm not much of a swimmer. I hope you get to do it Mae if that is something you are drawn to!

Planning a desert road trip in November to Arizona, a small bit of Utah (Bryce Canyon only, I have read Zion is super crowded even in November and I can't deal with that) and New Mexico. I love NM, it is my happy place. Considering a guided hike through the Bisti Badlands, which I have been drawn too for years. We made it once to the parking area on a whim once just to check it out and were like, nope. Not prepared at all. I don't think its as strenuous as it is you're really out in the middle of nowhere. Now there is a guided walking tour offered by the Navajo tribe, but there was not one back then. Wondering if I can make the 5 mile hike. I don't think there is much elevation change, just need to walk quite a ways.

• illimae
    Options

A Navajo guided desert hike sounds pretty fun, feel free to share how it goes (and pics!), if you like. I’ve had to add a few things to my listed based solely on everyone else’s input here 🙂

• nkb
    Options

Kikomoon- that sounds fantastic! one thing I can tell you about Zion is that if you get to the park early in the morning- it is much less crowded. Bryce is incredible also.

The Navajo guided hike through the Bisti Badlands sounds fantastic- I am going to add that to my list.

• Kikomoon
    Kikomoon Member Posts: 358
    Options

Well we made it to Monument Valley!

• finallyoverit
    finallyoverit Member Posts: 133
    Options

I’ve been thinking about this thread for a couple of weeks now. I started to seriously think about what is on my list. I’ve mentioned a few, but some of my recent additions include seeing the ball drop in NYC on New Years Eve.. and seeing the rose parade in California in person. I always wanted to go see a taping of the David Letterman show.. I’m a little late for that, but a gal can hope.

At first I struggled with feeling like making a bucket list was giving into the disease.. anyone that knows me in real like knows that couldn’t be further from the truth for me. I do not live my life on cancers terms.

After thinking about it for a while, I realized that we all have things we’d like to do “someday”.. well today is someday, and tomorrow is as well. Point being, I could have a major stroke or be in a bad car accident. It doesn’t have to be cancer that takes me out. All of these things that I want to do, I need to go do them, just for the sheer joy of doing something I wanted to do. We all should enjoy life/activities, and tell cancer to F off- we are enjoying ourselves! ;)

I’ll be over here thinking about more things I want to add to my list.

• illimae
    Options

Kikomoon, beautiful pic but I imagine that the real life view was magical.

Finally over it, I hear your take on the bucket list and I view it similarly. My bucket list has no end in sight and it’s a lot about taking the opportunities big and small.

• illimae
    edited April 2023
    Options

Now that things have calmed down and I’ve had and survived Covid, I’m ready to get out. The hubs and I are planning an East Coast food tour from Maine to Florida this fall.

I also came across this cute little bucket list journal, which includes a list to fill in and pages to document and review. My memory is crap, so this will be helpful.

Anyone planning something fun?

• AKJ
    AKJ Member Posts: 115
    edited April 2023
    Options

oing to Hawaii in May!

• illimae
    edited April 2023
    Options

akj, that’s a big trip, have the best time!

• nkb
    edited April 2023
    Options

Thinking about a walking trip (cottage to cottage) on the coast of England. I don't feel as adventurous as I used to- but, I think that this is manageable. having a plan will feel good.

thanks for reviving this thread- I enjoy reading what people's plans are.

• livethedream
    livethedream Member Posts: 3
    edited April 2023
    Options

Italy end of May - 4 nights Lake Como, 4 Florence and 4 Sorrento. Bit nervous but can’t wait

• eleanora
    eleanora Member Posts: 297
    edited April 2023
    Options

Nkb and livethedream, both of those trips sound wonderful. Haven't been to either Lake Como or Sorrento, but spent a week in Florence and liked it much better than Rome or Venice.

nkb, England is my favorite place to visit. Have been there 12+ times and would go back in a heartbeat. Your walking tour sounds really interesting. Is it with a tour group or are you planning it yourself? Which coast will you explore?

I went to Ireland for 12 days right after my metastatic DX last year and have been doing 3 day trips to East Coast cities I've always wanted to see. Today we leave for Charlottesville VA. Have a cruise on the Rhine river from Basel to Amsterdam at the end of June.

I know this sounds like a lot, but I have severe arthritis in addition to multiple bone mets on my spine and expect to have very restricted mobility in the next 6-12 months.

I wish you both safe travels and wonderful memories from your trips.

Eleanora

• nopink2019
    nopink2019 Member Posts: 384
    edited April 2023
    Options

Go for it ladies! I love reading your stories and seeing your pics