Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

What’s on your bucket list?

Options

Comments

• anotherone
    anotherone Member Posts: 545
    edited April 2023
    Options

interesting that the bucket list is almost exclusively geared towards "going somewhere" activities. There is a big spectrum of possible actions in our lives and we are concentrating on "going somewhere".

What I am talking about - for example , I would like to know and understand this and this person. I would like to see the end of the war. I would like to become more knowledgeable about this or that aspect of my trade/business. I would like to teach my child something. I would like to cook something I never cooked. I would have liked to have plastic surgery and excess skin removed from my neck. I would have liked to read this book/see this painting/learn this dance/decrease my waist to fit into the skirt that I was not able to fit into since I was 25. I would have liked to spend a day at the lab so that there is more understanding of what do I like them to do. I would have liked to see my daughter to form the bond with this and that person. I would have liked to make a book on the house- if it is sold so that new owners know who has done what when and why- it would be helpful to them and interesting as I often wonder what has happened here before and I do not know...I would have liked for my partner to like and know the card game I like and know to similar degree... I would have loved for so many people to visit me. I would have liked so much for my friend to work less and be happy etc etc.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,583
    edited April 2023
    Options

anotherone, you’re right, aside from making a quilt, my list is about going places and seeing things. I have no kids, so those milestones are absent from my life and list. I have done things like learning to cook, seeing friends, etc but I’ve just considered those part of daily life. A bucketlist could definitely be expanded by including items you mentioned.

• nopink2019
    nopink2019 Member Posts: 384
    edited April 2023
    Options

I've always been more practical, than a dreamer. I've never had huge aspirations or far-reaching plans. Guess I just roll with what comes along. Not that I haven't done things that I enjoyed and considered accomplishments-- travel, camping, bike riding, skiing having a dog companion, being married 40 years, creating the initial design and helping supervise the building of our house . Your list of things to accomplish it's a good reminder that "doing" is also an accomplishment.

• lehrski
    lehrski Member Posts: 68
    edited April 2023
    Options

Pass a piano exam - never did as a kid. Started taking piano lessons again.

"Run" a 5k under 40 minutes (much. much slower than my goals in my 20s), but this would be a reasonable accomplishment. I'm signed up for a 5k race in June and training.

Visit every continent. Not sure if that will happen.

• AKJ
    AKJ Member Posts: 115
    edited April 2023
    Options

I’ve always loved traveling and have seen a lot of places on my list. So I want to revisit some of my favorite places. Going to Hawaii in May and my partner and I are talking about a trip to Australia and New Zealand in the winter. Trying to get stuff in while I feel mostly normal.

• illimae
    edited April 2023
    Options

lehrski, yay on the 5k! I do one per year as both a personal and fitness goal.

Akj, your planned trips sound great. I just love beaches and those are among the best.

• nkb
    nkb Member Posts: 1,561
    edited April 2023
    Options

AKJ- I love New Zealand (and Australia). I went to the South Island only and did some hikes there The Milford Sound and and the Routeburn trek the people are wonderful and it is beyond beautiful. They are good to do while you are still feeling fairly good-

I love Hawaii also.

Sounds amazing to run a 5k-

• anotherone
    anotherone Member Posts: 545
    edited April 2023
    Options

wow. Respect for 5 km. I after running 200 m got out of breath and stopped. It was a bit of a surprise as I do not run often usually - to see how my fitness deteriorated. So 5 km - well done. Of course your time is different to what it was in your 20s , come on !

Illimae, we all are different- some things in cooking and seeing friends are so not easy and rare for me that I put them in the bucket list 😁.

• illimae
    Options

Getting back to my list! Just bought tickets for a single day music festival (21 bands), which include Hepcat from my list, 2 other favs that I’ll get to see again and several more that I’ve never even considered because the haven’t played a show in at least 20 years. It’s this summer in California, mine and BFF’s old stomping ground, so we’re both flying in (me from TX, her from WI) for a big weekend, yay!

• cure-ious
    cure-ious Member Posts: 2,742
    edited February 24
    Options

Illimae- Love when the bucket list adds things that were never even on your radar beforehand, new opportunities~

My daughter went around the house and bagged up 22 (!!) unfinished quilt tops/fabric collections, and that does not even touch the rest of my stash… So now I set a goal of two quilts per month, and am almost done with the first two quilts (a crib quilt and a Halloween wall hanging)- but its taken me two months. And also getting them done now I turned around and bought more fabric as a "reward". For quilts that weren't on the radar, how is this helping? I better get a lot faster

• eleanora
    eleanora Member Posts: 297
    Options

@cure-ious

I hear you, loud and clear, just substitute "yarn" and "knitting" for "fabric" and "quilting". Even though I donated about half of my yarn when we downsized a few years ago, I am still "SABLE" (stash acquisition beyond life expectancy ") 😉 Just ordered more last night because it was pretty.

Read a fascinating article a while back on the positive effect of the bilateral brain stimulation that occurs when you work with both hands simultaneously. The most important for me is that it lowers anxiety. I now tell myself (and anyone else who dares to comment) that I knit for medicinal purposes. 🤭 I refuse to feel guilty about something accessible that not only gives me joy but allows me to share that joy through gifting or donating the finished products.

Keep on quilting!

Eleanora

• amel_83
    amel_83 Member Posts: 132
    Options

In my bucket list I have sigaret bats and plastic caps...litteraly! I went to the sea, bought a little fishing net and start to collect garbage on the beach. Here the coast is so packed in restorants and hotel...

I now wish I can clean all the beaches. I have back pain due to collapsed vertebrae but I keep going, pay attention at all movement and happy to think I can actually still be active and help. And I did enjoy some warmer weather and winter sea!

• illimae
    Options

I have “making a quilt” on my list too. I’ve collected pieces of fabric over the years but my sewing machine is still in storage. Maybe it’ll be a fall project.

Nice to hear from you all.

• cure-ious
    Options

Eleanora- Ha!!! Love the SABLE concept!!!! These projects power me up, and now I am in a race to use that stash, or put a better way, I need to survive long enough to outlive my stash?!

• cure-ious
    Options

Amel, You win the bucket list!! I love this idea, just wander around the beach, getting it back to healthy! There is so much junk goes into the ocean, if only everybody could collect some of it…

• eleanora
    Options

@cure-ious

I'm knitting as fast as I can 🤭

When I am no longer able (which I hope is in the distant future) I will gift my stash to others so that they can enjoy it

Definitely keep quilting for as long as it makes you happy.

Eleanora

• jensgotthis
    jensgotthis Member Posts: 671
    Options

I’m finally taking that Italy trip that’s been on my list for years! I feel so lucky to be able to go

• doodler
    doodler Member Posts: 38
    Options

Visit the Canadian Prairies and the Rockies.

See the National Arts Centre Orchestra again, live.

Learn more than three guitar chords.

That's a short list so far… I will be adding to it!

• cure-ious
    Options

JensGotThis- Fabulous!!! Where in Italy are you going?

• jensgotthis
    jensgotthis Member Posts: 671
    Options

Cure-ious, hi friend! Good to see you here!

Florence, Venice, Cinque Terre, Lucca, Rome and driving though northern Tuscany for a day to see what we can discover :-)

• illimae
    Options

Jen, that’s a big trip, I hope you have the best time 😁

• cure-ious
    Options

Jen, take a day for Sienna, I had pear ravioli there, so amazing!

• amel_83
    Options

Today is my BD, 41!

I feel a little sad and don't feel like to celebrate...but in my bucket list I do have the want to celebrate more birthdays! (Just not this one...)

Read more books, draw more and do more hikes.

(My nick name "Amel" mean honey in my Italian dialect)

• illimae
    Options

Amel, happy birthday 🎉

I was 41 when I was diagnosed. Next year I’ll turn 50 and I plan to celebrate big.

I hope you have a great day, however you decide to spend it.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,034
    Options

Happy Birthday, Amel!!

• eleanora
    Options

@amel_83

Happy birthday dear Amel, and may you have many more!

🥳🎉🎂🎈

• aprilgirl1
    aprilgirl1 Member Posts: 757
    Options

@amel_83 happy birthday !! I hope today was wonderful , however you decided to spend the time . Cheers to you and many, many more birthdays to celebrate.

• amel_83
    Options

@aprilgirl1 @eleanora

Thank you very much for the wishes, it was a quiet but nice day, with a good dinner!

Have a good day everybody, wish you all a lot of good things in your bucket

• gailmary
    gailmary Member Posts: 428
    Options

How did I miss this thread? Hi everyone.

I've read back several pages and I'm not surprised at all the travelling mentioned. I'm not much of a traveller now. I would have liked to do more but dh has much anxiety traveling. It's not worth it with him. I could go with friends but then my insomnia is pretty severe in a strange bed. I won't plan many more trips. . Road trips maybe.

Lots of other good suggestions. No grandkids here. But I do help a few special needs people and I sure would like to see them happier and settled.

I mostly take the days as they come. I no longer have the interest in spending energy to do what I might have thought. Like learn to play piano. I don't know music at all. I will settle with listening.

Quilting is a major part of my life. Some aspect (planning, cutting, sewing, teaching) not quite daily for 40 years! I found it addicting.

Illimae, there are so many styles and techniques it could be hard to decide where to start. Do it. Fun and relaxing.

What else?

• illimae
    Options

Well, it looks like my bucket list goal of seeing one of my favorite bands live won’t happen after all. The lead singer died suddenly last week of a brain aneurysm. I’ve been so focused on whether or not I’d be around for the show, it never occurred to me that it could be them.