Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Ringworm drug for dogs (Fenbendazole) might also cure cancer

Options

Comments

• husband11
    husband11 Member Posts: 1,287
    Options

Her Hgb is now at 80. That's lower than it was after her last transfusion. Not sure why that would be. Last transfusion raised it by 20, this time it only raised it by 10. 10 is what is was supposed to go up by. So, not sure why it went up further than that last time. She gets another cbc test this week to see how she is doing. Daughter and I went and gave blood on Saturday. This has reminded us that its important to donate. We plan to do so again as soon as we can.

• nicolerod
    nicolerod Member Posts: 2,877
    Options

Husband thanks for the update...please keep us posted.

• bsandra
    bsandra Member Posts: 1,005
    Options

Husband11, stay strong guys, this will be fixed. Doctors have to find the cause, and then it will be fixed. Saulius

• snooky1954
    snooky1954 Member Posts: 850
    Options

https://www.clinicalomics.com/topics/precision-med...

Triple Negative breast cancer may not actually be breast cancer.

Amazing

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,310
    Options

Whoa, that's interesting! Thanks for posting snooky!

• bsandra
    Options

Dear Snooky, again, it shows the power of genetic testing and drug re-purposing. These diseases should be treated according to their genetics, and not only to the organ they originated from... Thank you for the article. Saulius

• husband11
    Options

My wife got her blood tested against yesterday. So that's one week after her transfusion, and 5 days after the last blood test. It went up slightly, around 5 points. I take that as a good sign. At least its not dropping. Hopefully that means her body is now producing more red blood cells than it is losing.

• BevJen
    BevJen Member Posts: 2,341
    Options

Husband,

And maybe her body has now recovered from her flu, and it's starting to act as it should? Thinking good thoughts.

• lilahope777
    lilahope777 Member Posts: 27
    Options

Husband - That's good news....moving in the right direction. I'm wondering if you've heard of Papaya Leaf for blood support. My Mom will be starting chemo again next week due to progression and I found a product called "Herbal Goodness Papaya Leaf Blood Support Formula" on Amazon that I plan to give her. Or do you think that might mask the source of your wife's problem and skew future labs?

• husband11
    Options

I will look into the papaya leaf. I know we tried it way back when she was on conventional chemo, but unfortunately it didn't improve her counts. But that was IV chemo.

• santabarbarian
    Options

also chlorophylll may help if you have not tried that....

• husband11
    Options

Thanks Santabarbarian, I will remind her of that. I know she has some, and used to use it in the past.

• JFL
    JFL Member Posts: 1,373
    Options

Husband, I hope that you can get to the bottom of what is causing the low hemoglobin. When mine was super low, it seemed to suddenly drop like your wife's did. I worried I had an ulcer from NSAID use but never ended up getting tested. I also questioned whether I had some sort of undetected bone marrow mets although it is more common that platelets or possibly white blood cell related counts would be impacted by bone marrow mets as opposed to hemoglobin. I never really figured out whether it was chemo only or something else causing the major drop. At any rate, as you mentioned, the ashwagandha (+ low dose iron) worked for me to keep my hemoglobin at least in double digits. My current chemo, Gemzar, packs a punch to hemoglobin but I am hanging in there so far. I had an issue when I stopped taking the iron for a bit but my hemoglobin went back up when I resumed the iron. I haven't taken a break from ashawagandha except for a few days when I ran out. I did notice an immediate drop in my energy levels but the break wasn't long enough to impact my hemoglobin.

• husband11
    Options

Thanks JFL. She has been taking ashwagandha now for over a week, plus a polysaccharide iron supplement. We also have been eating liver 2x a week. Her latest blood test shows a slight further improvement in Hgb, and a big increase in reticulocytes. Highest reticulocyte numbers seen in years. High reticulocytes means lots of "baby" red blood cells, and indicates that her bone marrow is working. Hopefully that pans out into long term increase in rbc count and hgb.

• bsandra
    Options

Dear All, how are you? We got concerned yesterday when did blood: WBC, liver numbers, everything else is okay (CEA<0.5 and CA15.3=17), except for CA125, which is 87 (norm is 32)... We have never done CA125 before, so we cannot compare. Last scans were ned, so I don't know even what to think. Maybe it is elevated because of interferons that we used for DC/CIK vaccine, as I read it is usual but 26 days have already passed since interferon-gamma injection... and our immunology oncologist does not answer the phone today. Does anyone here have experience with CA125, its elevation and fluctuations? Saulius

• BevJen
    Options

Saulius,

I hope someone else knows more, but my current oncologist regularly tests CA 125 for me. No one else ever did this. I asked her why, because it was my understanding that it was used for suspected ovarian cancer. She told me that she is using it because of my liver mets, and that it is a good marker for that.

• bsandra
    Options

Thanks BevJen... oh my, I am so scared. Scans just a month ago showed liver was ned, like many months before...

• BevJen
    Options

Saulius,

You might post on the liver mets thread and see what others say. I am only one person, and as I said I don't really know much about this test because it has not been used for me before the last 6 months. Thinking of you and your wife.

• husband11
    Options

Saulius, I wouldn't put much weight in that single tumor marker being elevated, because you have nothing to compare it to. It may have always been elevated. I would rely more on the scan, and monitor the C125 to see if it changes over time. Yes, it is indicating some sort of condition, but there is no way to know whether it is indicating benign disease, existing and stable cancer, or something worse.

• bsandra
    Options

Thank you guys. For sure my brain understands everything but then my heart... Let's wait for all scan results and let's do a follow up CA125, and then see what happens. I also think sometimes why I worry if all last scans were perfect, and she feels good today? That scanxiety and markeriety is really something! Saulius

• JFL
    Options

Saulius, I wouldn't worry given you have no basis for comparison. The other routine labs were stable which is a good sign. I recall only having the CA125 one time in the last 13+ years, before I had mets, and it had something to do with trying to rule out ovarian cancer. I can't recall the details anymore. I get the CA15-3 (which is always normal) and the CA27-29 (which seems to track with my progression/regression for the most part). Interesting yet also counfounding and frustrating how we all respond so differently to tumor markers. Mine often jump temporarily when I am sick as well.

• bsandra
    Options

Dear JFL, thank you sooo much for your support and kind words. Yes, that marker is strange but we checked it for the first time and its increase can be due to many things and abnormalities (for example it should not be checked during menstrual cycle and now, 8 months after chemo, it might be starting again). Her pelvic MRI last week was clear but showed two follicles, one in each ovary which is an indication that menstrual cycle is happening. I also found that interferon-gamma can also increase CA125 significantly, and we used that one with immuno-therapy (dendritic cells). Next week we'll have full body CT which, I hope, will be good... the problem that our gyecologist is very busy and we have an appointment only for 23rd of April. But on the other hand our MO and Immunologist said that number is not high at all, and that we should not worry. Just check it in a month or two... Thank you again and I'll keep you all posted.

Dear Frisky, how are you?

Saulius

• Frisky
    Frisky Member Posts: 1,686
    Options

Dear Saulius,

I am starting to rebound from the devastating side effects of the compilation of the various chemotherapies. My hemoglobin dropped to 7 and I could hardly get out of bed without fainting. A blood transfusion would have barely raised it, thus the only solution was to suspend all treatments and I'm so happy I did.

That was several weeks ago...I'm lucky to feel no pains, and a recent sonogram indicated no growth of my liver lesion and related organs. And now that I'm semi-detoxed from all those poisons, by the application of acupuncture and TCM, I'm starting to recognize myself: how much the chemos had also been deeply affecting my personality. Needless to say, now that I feel well, like my old self again, after 5 years of treatments, I don't want to go back to being so sick and tired ever again.

In four weeks I will meet my mo to come up with a plan. She spoke of Verzenio, but from people's experience on this site I don't think I can undergo that type of suffering.

I think the amount of chemo is simply too much, for my constitution, upon request she reduced the amount of the last chemo by one third, I think she has now to cut that amount by 50%. They justify the failures of these treatments by pointing to the uniqueness of our diseases, yet we are all being treated the same way with disastrous results.

As I see it, anything different from what they conventionally do, gives me hope.

I think your wife is doing fine, regardless of those discrepancies....it's a well known fact that many other factors can affect those numbers.

Wishing both of you well....mina

• bsandra
    Options

Dear Frisky, so great to hear that things are stable and that you recover. As you know, different people react very differently to CDK4/6 inhibitors, some suffer from Ibrance, some live with it for years, so after all maybe Verzenio will be not so bad, at least it could be so much easier than Doxil or Navelbine... for sure, my heart goes out to you and anyone with this disease, as there's no easy way in this situation. Please keep us posted about your plan, as every piece of information shared can be valuable. I always try to share everything I know... Yes, my wife is doing well, and I hope next week scans will be good. We have never really celebrated any "wins" while being in this disease. Maybe we should when they come? Biggest hugs to you, Saulius

• santabarbarian
    Options

Frisky, one of the innovative things Dr Block sometimes does is to give chemo on an extremely slow drip, over a very long time (you wear a fanny pack/pump system pulsing it in for 2 days) and this allows treatment to be gentler, without so many SEs. The dosing amounts of chemos are decided by maximum tolerated doses which are not always sustainable ones. I am so glad to hear you are feeling well. I hope you can find something gentle, effective, and sustainable going forward.

Saulius I think it is likely to be a blip due to ovulation or the other meds. I hope your wife gets a reassuring scan soon!

• husband11
    Options

Thanks for the updates everyone. This thread had gone kind of silent for a while, and I am constantly thinking about all of you.

• JFL
    Options

Frisky, hang in there. You have been having a rough go. Thinking of you and hoping your QOL continues to improve and that you find a plan you feel good about. It is so true (and sad) how these meds can affect personalities.

• Frisky
    Frisky Member Posts: 1,686
    Options

Thank you JFL, you’ve been my inspiration and guide in my chemo journey...I’m grateful to you for all the knowledge you've sharing with all of us. Ashawaganda was unable to keep my hemoglobin levels up.
    Will keep you posted on what I end up doing. Right now, impaired immune system, low hemoglobin, fatigue and reduced kidney and liver functions are simply unacceptable, but as they say: it’s not over till the fat lady sings....

• husband11
    Options

Frisky, have you tried any mushroom extracts, such as maitake D extract, or AHCC? Both of those were able to boost my wife's neutrophils following chemo. They don't however seem to work for low RBC.

• simone60
    simone60 Member Posts: 952
    Options

Frisky,

It's good to hear from you. I was wondering what happened as you have been so quiet. Let's hope your QOL gets better along with your counts.