Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

I say YES. YOU say NO....Numero Tre! Enjoy!

Options

Comments

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,157
    Options

I'd like to interview his golf competition to hear their take on him being so great at playing the game. I wonder how many would reveal that he cheats, they let him win because he was the president or such a poor sport that they would be bad mouthed otherwise, or they would lose their MarALago privileges and social status. I can't imagine that even with all his practice he is as great a player as he claims. BTW, we paid for those golf lessons. I am eagerly awaiting divine intervention.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 46,992
    Options

Me too, betrayal, me too!!!

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 34,376
    Options

Mind if I listen in while you two talk to the Loon's competition. I guess it must be partially the mark of such a mentally damaged person. Any time I've done anything not by the book so to speak (even referencing the pills I cut in half that aren't really in half at all - they end up a variety of sizes ) I've gotten an instant mindful ping and have to work to put it out of my head. Maybe it's the mark of his narcissism. Anything to win, even if it is cheating and somehow you MUST know your cheating.

I heard something on the news about how the Loon uses the word MINE all the time. Used in a very selfish way about everything that he thinks should belong to him — even government papers which are suppose to be turned over to the archives. If he wants, if he decides it is his —then the bully is going to let everyone know it is MINE, period. So, does he think he is entitled to win just because he is Donald Trump, Lord of all. It is his due and he will get his due no matter what.

I guess that does make life almost un-bearable that he is getting these substantial judgements. The person who has skated free, eluded most of life's troubles and travails. I think the only reason he is still standing is that he is a cheater having lived in a different universe from the rest of us all these years. After having come through all this time I doubt he can see that this time may be far different. I certainly hope there is enough of him left so that he can feel it.

• ruthbru
    Options
  • illinoislady
    Options

Until you are committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back,
    ineffectiveness.  It is true:  the moment one definitely commits oneself,
    then Providence moves.  All sorts of things begin to happen to help you
    that would never otherwise have occurred.  A whole stream of events
    issues from that decision, raising in your favor all manner of unforeseen
    incidents, meetings and material assistance, which you couldn't
    have dreamt would come your way.

W.H. Murray

• illinoislady
    Options

Ruth, the meme is perfect. 🤪

• illinoislady
    Options
  • illinoislady
    Options
  • illinoislady
    Options

If You Only News:

To think how great we could have it right now if our parents just had enough sense to not believe them when they said it would “trickle down.”

• illinoislady
    Options

This has been causing quite the stir at MSNBC. Can't say I blame anyone for seeing it as detrimental to all those currently there. She is one of the more blatant Reps. It was mentioned about a couple of others who are Reps. Like Michael Steele and Nicole Wallace. They were not for the Loon from early on though and McDaniel —how much more can you be for someone when you are the head of the RNC. It wasn't just a job for her.

I hope she is not long lasting.

• illinoislady
    Options
  • illinoislady
    Options

If rich, almost totally automatic you get the soft-landing treatment.

• illinoislady
    Options

A word from Hillary:

• illinoislady
    Options

Not for years and years now.

• illinoislady
    Options

Talk about truth Rick Reilly.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,043
    edited March 26
    Options

I hope McDaniel’s time at NBC is short-lived. If I hadn’t already stopped watching NBCNews awhile ago and switched to ABCNews, I would do it now. Liberals should boycott them. Is NBC doing it because controversy brings in higher viewership? So sick of that tactic!

I had no idea Gloria Steinem was 90 years old! Happy Birthday to an iconic trailblazer!

I am devastated at the news of the Francis Scott Key Bridge collapse. I cannot even imagine such a scenario, and the video of the collapse seems incredibly unreal, that it could happen so suddenly and quickly like that.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,804
    Options

divine,

Stop taking the words out of my mouth 😉! I have watched the video several times and it is shocking to see how quickly it collapsed that it doesn’t seem real. It was announced at the latest news conference that the ship had lost propulsion prior to the impact,

• illinoislady
    Options

The bridge collapse was the first thing I saw when I turned on the news early this morning right after getting up. It was indeed to say the least, a real shock. TV here is sometimes weird now. A news channel called now will come on which we didn't select and until we hit the home button and Hulu we won't get the news programs we normally watch a.m. Usually either CNN or MSNBC. So for a while due to how NOW deals with news and until I got one of our normal programs on I had all sorts of thoughts (terrorist activity or what?) running through my head.

I do wonder about that propulsion although I presume they can just develop an issue not found on inspections.

• illinoislady
    Options

More news which I need to get into further. Rachel Maddow and Lawrence O'Donnell apparently had lots to say about their company hiring Rona Romney McDaniel and worded strongly enough that NBC got very nervous about their nighttime star power being that upset. So, Rona McDaniel is already out of her new job. I read that she is seeking a lawyer already which I would expect to see happen.

On the other front, the Loon is already bad-mouthing Judge Merchan as well as his daughter. Apparently, the daughter works for a very liberal Democratic firm having ties with Adam Schiff. The Loon made much of that already as well. So, new gag orders going into place. The Loon I'm sure, because he is not capable of rational thought, was hoping THAT whole trial would get the heave-ho. Why he thinks any of them necessarily would, I don't know. Instead he not only gets a firm trial start date but the lawyers were chastised and told not to waste the court's time with appeals and other issues that are dead-ends and will only result in big no's anyway. If they are wanting to bring an appeal forward, they need to write a short page to the Judge first who will allow or dis-allow based on whether it is frivolous or not.

Loon is not happy with any of that, but I guess he knows he hasn't really bought himself much time. He has to find $175 million in two weeks and in three weeks — here's comes another rug to be pulled out. Not much respite for an orange loser. He has not a lot left but to get on Truth Social and whine away towards whatever targets he feels are closest to "getting" him now. Being tough, mean and mouthy and getting nowhere fast. Getting shut up fairly fast is what took place with the new gag order.

I would imagine (I've not listened all that much) that he may still have some issues with finding the $175 million. Frankly, the fines so far are the same and have not reduced. The Loon does stiff people and I do think a whole lot of funds are starting to dry well and people are not going to keep on giving. Even some of his Loyals hopefully are smart enough to question a little you'd think. The big donors really don't want to give money to a loser and many have backed off before.

• illinoislady
    Options

Mark BylandMultiple Law Enforcement Agencies : "This was not an act of terrorism."Fox News : "We're still waiting to officially hear whether this was an act of terrorism, it has all the indication of being one, hot on the heels of Russia's nightclub attack. It's clear the Biden Administration has failed the American people once again by allowing terrorists to flow freely through our borders."What they're waiting for is for cult leader, djt, to tell them it's okay to say it wasn't a terror attack.Conservative owned/operated news gotta say all the proper stuff!

For now, Fox can get away with saying something has all the indications. I don't think they can keep it up. It is their opinion that Biden and his admin failed something. They won't consider themselves to have egg on the face when it has been repeated enough times that it was not terrorist in nature. Just wow !!!

• exbrnxgrl
    edited March 26
    Options

”I do wonder about that propulsion although I presume they can just develop an issue not found on inspections.”

I know nothing about structural engineering or mechanical/systems failures but I imagine, in spite of inspections, that these things can fail with little warning, or I could be completely wrong.
    And boy, was that Ronna McDaniels hire a misstep! Whatever legal machinations occur as a result of her dismissal are sure to be very interesting. It would be interesting to know what provisions in her contract allowed for this dismissal.
    ETA: She has not been fired yet but news sources are reporting that it’s imminent.

• divinemrsm
    Options

Oh, McDaniel already canned! That was exactly how short-lived I hoped her time at NBC would be! Good for Maddow and Odonnell for flexing their clout. I wonder if public outcry from viewers had any influence on her swift firing.

The comment from Fox about the bridge collapse is SO predictable. In fact, before I even read your post about it, IllinoisLady, I commented to dh that Fox News no doubt was going to try to pin it on Biden! Even after the FBI made the statement it wasn’t a terrorist act! That’s how predictable Fox News is! Omg.

Jacke, I do love your commentary on U.S. politics; I love hearing the thoughts from everyone on this thread!

• ruthbru
    Options

You may, or may not, be surprised to learn that the author of this quote is George Santos! If he thinks you're a crook, you must indeed be very, very crooked!!

• illinoislady
    Options

By Eli Stokols, Lauren Egan and Ben Johansen

Welcome to POLITICO’s West Wing Playbook, your guide to the people and power centers in the Biden administration.

Lasting more than seven years as the boss of a political party controlled by DONALD TRUMP is no small feat.

But it now appears former Republican National Committee chairwoman RONNA MCDANIEL may not last seven days in her gig as a paid political commentator at NBC News, with network executives facing intense blowback from their audience and many top anchors about her hiring.

For some operatives close to President JOE BIDEN, the most important takeaway has less to do with McDaniel than the press itself. However dismayed they were initially at the network’s willingness to reward and rehabilitate a party boss who backed former President Trump's efforts to overturn the 2020 election, Biden aides have been pleased to see a faction of the media set boundaries for how they will and won’t cover the 2024 election and the presumptive GOP nominee.

A senior Biden campaign official, who agreed to comment on the situation on the condition of anonymity, said it’s been “heartening seeing members of the free press drawing a line and saying we will not normalize someone who actively worked to undermine and deconstruct our democracy.”

The adviser pointed to host RACHEL MADDOW’s Monday night monologue on the matter as the purest distillation of why, in their view, McDaniel’s hiring drove so many journalists to speak out. It wasn’t, as Maddow explained, that the former RNC chair supports Trump or had routinely criticized the press. It was almost entirely a response to her abetting Trump’s attempts to nullify the 2020 election and her defense of the violent Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection — positions she only disavowed after her hiring by NBC.

That, to them, distinguished McDaniel’s move from operative to pundit from others who have made similar journeys, Democrats and Republicans alike.

No one at the White House was spiking the football over McDaniel’s rumored dismissal by NBC, but administration officials generally share the view of their campaign colleagues — and the president himself — about what’s at stake. Biden has framed the coming election as a choice between a candidate who wants to preserve American democracy and one whose autocratic inclinations threaten its survival.

When asked on Monday about the administration’s response to the McDaniel controversy, press secretary KARINE JEAN-PIERRE quoted the president’s remarks at the Gridiron Dinner earlier this month where he recognized “the critical role that journalists play and have in protecting our democracy.”

Although she didn’t speak to any specific personnel matter, Jean-Pierre hit on the issue beneath the backlash at NBC: McDaniel’s amplification of Trump’s lies about the 2020 election and defense of the Jan. 6 insurrection.

“It was an attack on our democracy,” Jean-Pierre said, “and it is important — it is important that we are very clear to the public about the facts.”

However the McDaniel situation ends, it will still leave unsettled one major question for news networks: How to find credible voices who can provide insight into Trump and articulate his policies who aren't so tainted by their associations with him as to be unacceptable to a broader audience.

The senior Biden campaign adviser who spoke to West Wing Playbook said they were somewhat sympathetic to reporters and editors grappling with the challenge of covering a political candidate who obliterates norms, lies routinely and has undermined America’s democratic system. Their frequent frustrations with the press, the adviser said, often arise from coverage that underplays the dangers of Trump or equates them to Biden’s own political deficiencies.

That view is shared by the left more broadly. Ever since Trump’s victory in 2016, progressives have increasingly focused on the media’s role in American politics. Praise for the tough coverage Trump endured during his presidency has since given way to frustration with the press' approach to the current campaign. They’ve largely adopted the viewpoint of the “DOUG J. BALLOON” @NYTPitchbot account that sees the media as desperate, above all else, to prove its impartiality by creating faux equivalency: nitpicking Biden’s every mistake and harping incessantly on his age while grading his predecessor on a curve.

The leaders of many newsrooms have vowed not to be cowed by blowback to their coverage, be it online or bubbling up from within, and to hold true to traditional journalistic methods and ethical guidelines. But a growing chorus of press critics are, at times, breaking through. What’s notable about this week is that they’ve been joined by some notable journalists themselves.

“The more people who are speaking up about why this stuff matters, the better,” the senior Biden campaign adviser said.

• illinoislady
    Options

Ruth, that may be the only thing I've ever agreed with where Santos is concerned. Isn't it funny how clearly he can see this point after getting 'let' go by so many of his own. If only the rest could have something happen to them to give them a bit of insight and clarity.

• illinoislady
    Options

Divine, I feel the same as you. All of you here add so much for me to consider. Divine knows this well, I think. I believe we both come from small towns or at least neighborhoods that are mainly Reps. in census. It has a tendency at times to make you feel a bit alone. Sharing here saves at least some of my sanity and does broaden my viewpoints.

A huge thank-you to all who post here.

• divinemrsm
    Options

Yes, Jackie, this thread helps me feel less alone where I live!

I read a number of comments from the NBC on-air “personalities” speaking against the hiring of McDaniel. They all have such great command of the English language to get their point across. The one that I thought especially knocked it out of the park was Rachel Maddow:

Maddow took issue with McDaniel’s long track record of demonizing the news media, including launching ugly attacks on NBC News journalists and MSNBC hosts.

“We do not take it personally when we get attacked, when they say they want to put us on trial and execute us for treason,” she said.

“And so I want to associate myself with all my colleagues at MSNBC and NBC News who have voiced loud and principled objections to our company for putting on the payroll someone who hasn’t just attacked us as journalists, but someone who is part of an ongoing project to get rid of our system of government,” she said of McDaniel. “Someone who is still trying to convince Americans that this election stuff doesn’t really work. That this last election wasn’t a real result. That American elections are fraudulent.“

The on-air revolt ensnared NBC’s top leaders, including NBCUniversal News Group chair Cesar Conde, NBC News president Rebecca Blumenstein and senior vice president of politics Carrie Budoff Brown, who were responsible for McDaniel’s hiring. MSNBC boss Rashida Jones did not object to her hire at the time.

“Mistakes will be made,” Maddow said. “But our resilience as a democracy is going to be recognizing when decisions are bad ones and reversing those bad decisions. Hearing legitimate criticism, responding to it, and correcting course. Not digging in. Not blaming others. Take a minute. Acknowledge that maybe it wasn’t the right call.”

• exbrnxgrl
    Options

George Santos…while I appreciate what he stated, I seriously doubt he has any sincere beliefs beyond what benefits him. He will ride his notoriety train for as long as he can, doing whatever he can as long as it keeps him in the public eye. I’m sure he’ll end up on some “celebrity “ show like Big Brother or possibly Dancing With the Stars 😉

My dear divine, Camille, who helped further my understanding of the milieu that my ex-husband and family came from. Rural Ohio and the Bronx are about as culturally far apart as one could get back then. Hope it’s changed a bit. But understanding that better might have helped my marriage, though likely not. JD Vance, never a liberal, has turned into a brown nosing trump fanboy. However, his book, Hillbilly Elegy, written about his upbringing and family in roughly the same area of Ohio, gave me valuable insights into the origins of our cultural divide. So mostly, I would like to thank divine 💗.
    I was awake early this morning, about 5:00 am Pacific, and heard the news about the bridge collapse. I immediately wondered how Fox or Republicans would try to pin it on Biden. Even after it’s been proven that terrorism or Democratic policy didn’t cause the bridge collapse, there will still be some who will continue to run with it. Kind of like the hard core election fraud crowd. 🤷🏻‍♀️

• illinoislady
    Options

exbrnxgrl, I know what you're saying about those who refuse truth no matter how often it hits them in the face. I usually don't read letters to the editor in my newspaper. For one thing this is a really small town. Maybe about 12,300 or so. So, I don't want to get angry about someone I might accidentally meet some time. Still, sometimes people who take our paper (there is a version that is done in Mt. Vernon 20 miles south of here) write in as well.

I guess the heading stirred me in some way when I saw it as I read other things on that page. It was un-believable to me. Everything he said fit the Trump to the nth. degree. The only problem was that he was giving all the credit to Biden. Total role reversal which actually happens a lot in the tv news. I can guess and be quite right that this person never takes a break from every news source completely devoted to the Reps. viewpoints.

What will ever convince these people who won't dare allow themselves to come near an opportunity to sully their brains with a Democratic news source. No thank you. I know one of the things I like about the news from the left is that it feels much more balanced to me. How else would we know what the right is REALLY doing and the cheating and grifting and all the other ugly things that take place. It infuriated me that this man put such drivel in the paper. It is in fact though his opinion. I have the right to do the same thing. Only in my case I'd be wondering how many people had some of the same thoughts about me that I had about that man. I don't mind a disagreement, but I wouldn't like it to be what seems totally blind and one-sided. Makes me wonder if the letter writer is thinking 'terrorist' as we speak.

• illinoislady
    Options