Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Looking for all of your tips/tricks/wisdom please!

Options

Comments

• scotbird
    scotbird Member Posts: 592
    Options

I agree, it’s easier to eat badly at the weekend when there are lots of people around. I too have started the week with a sense of purpose. It feels good. The weather here is cold, so I haven’t been out yet, and was struggling a bit to get going this morning. I will definitely take a walk later.

• cm2020
    cm2020 Member Posts: 530
    Options

Why are weekends so much harder when it comes to eating?! Anyway, today was good. I ate well, worked out (twice!) and feel much better. I am planning to keep up the momentum. It isn't cold here yet, I wish it was. It is unseasonably warm (upper 70s). How was your day?

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 46,953
    Options

It is COLD here (think 10 degrees) but it's supposed to warm up a little throughout the week. Which I HOPE is true!!

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,085
    Options

OMG Ruth. It was 85 here today. Missed my morning walk so did 4 miles late afternoon & early evening just before dark. This was day #200 !!!

• ruthbru
    Options

It's supposed to get back into the 40s by the weekend and we are giddy! Loopy

• scotbird
    Options

Pouring rain here, damp, gray very typically Scottish weather. My husband bought a box of 12 doughnuts yesterday which I managed to resist yesterday. Today at least half of them are still here and I have not managed to resist.

• cm2020
    Options

Man I am jealous of you guys with cold weather! It was 80 here today and is supposed to be the same tomorrow. I think by Friday it is finally supposed to cool off some...highs in the 60s.

Ugh, donuts are such a weakness of mine. That would be hard to resist.

I did okay today, not as good as yesterday, but not a washout.

• scotbird
    Options

Am embarrassed to say that I ate 4 slices of pizza last night and had the last donut from the box bought on Sunday, with my coffee this morning. I don’t think I should be posting on this thread as my habits are definitely in need of remediation and could not be described as wisdom but will keep posting and maybe my embarrassment will force me to improve

• ruthbru
    Options

ThumbsUp

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,085
    Options

ScotBird - I had 4 chocolate chip cookies for breakfast then walked 5+ miles. Then yesterday afternoon a friend brought me half a dozen old fashioned chocolate doughnuts. I had two of those for dinner with a glass of red wine before forcing myself to stop & eat a small salad. No guilt here.

• edj3
    edj3 Member Posts: 1,579
    Options

Oh let's not make food be a source of either guilt or shame! It's yummy and I know how much I enjoy good food! I'd say ScotBird that you are in the right place!

• cm2020
    Options

ScotBird...You are absolutely in the right place!!! This where you get understanding and support. We learn from each other and we lift each other up when we struggle. We also celebrate when we have wins. So please keep posting. I had a horrible day with food. I am so anxious about the election (US), what the next few months will look like as a result of the election, the possible loss of women's rights due to the new woman on the supreme court, my mammogram Tuesday (my cancer side still hurts and is just so tender...even the thought of the mammogram makes me tear up), the total lack of support from my husband. I am completely self soothing with food and I know it. However, I am working out regularly and I will keep finding ways to make it easier to make health food choices. As an example of this I am making veggie soup tomorrow morning and portioning it out in easy to heat up servings for my lunches. It is progress not perfection. All of this to say....you have support and it is okay.

• cm2020
    Options

MinusTwo...I really admire your healthy attitude.

• scotbird
    Options

Thanks for the lovely support! Yesterday was much better. I had to go to the hospital for physiotherapy after my hip surgery 4 and a half weeks ago. My daughter offered to drive me but it wasn’t raining and I have been cycling a but firther every day so decided to cycle there. It was about 8 miles round trip and I felt fine. Very happy. The physio said I was doing really well. I ate healthily too. Good day

• cm2020
    Options

ScotBird...that is an impressive ride!! I am so glad you had such a good day and things are going well with your surgery recovery. I worked out this morning but food was "meh". I made a pot of veggie soup, it turned out so well. I portioned it out for lunches over the next 5 days. It is nice to know lunch is ready and healthy...just heat and go.

• scotbird
    Options

Not a terrible day yesterday, and pretty good so far today. I had an enormous (healthy) breakfast then have been really busy at work all day so have not thought about eating. It’s a good distraction

• scotbird
    Options

Today is a new day: like every other day the first day of the rest of our lives. It is just one day, and tomorrow will be another one. After my week of eating just a little bit too much and not very healthily, I am thoughtful about the embarrassment factor I feel.

Honestly, the one positive change I would like to make in my life to improve it is to be around 20 lbs lighter. I know that I would feel better because whenever I have lost weight I have felt better, and when I eat unhealthily I feel worse, not because I’m ashamed or guilty but more because I feel uncomfortable and lethargic. I also believe it’s the single thing that will reduce my risk of cancer recurrence, because I don’t smoke, or drink much alcohol and I do exercise most days. So today, like every other day I’m going to press the reset button again and start following a healthier eating plan. I’m going to post here every day and I hope this commitment will help me to stick to it. My aim is to reduce my weight by 8lbs before Christmas. Weight today: 157 lbs.

• cm2020
    Options

ScotBird...I love what you said in your most recent post. It is very much how I feel, but you said it much better. You (we) can do this!

• scotbird
    Options

There is always an excuse to eat badly. Yesterday it was Hallowe’en. Even though there was no trick or Treat going on in our neighbourhood my DH got treats which I ate quite a lot of. We had fun. I hung up decorations and we dressed up a bit and listened to a scary music mix over dinner and watched a movie. Today is Sunday, so the excuse today is a traditional roast Sunday lunch, which my hisband is going to cook. Starting tomorrow both me and the dog are going to start following a very strict regime for a week, to get back on track. This morning I went for my first long dog walk since hip surgery, I’ve been cycling a lot but not walking. It felt good, I’ll be running up mountains in no time at all

• cm2020
    Options

ScotBird...You are so right! There is ALWAYS an excuse to eat badly. I am excellent at coming up with them too. But I am working on changing that. Today went very well and I worked out this morning. Congrats on being able to walk a long way today! You really are recovering well and at a great pace too. It is going to be a very long stressful week in the US and I wish I could just sleep through the whole week.

• ruthbru
    Options

It's going to be unusually nice here so I am going to go outside and stay away from the TV as much as possible because I am so stressed out over the election.

• cm2020
    Options

Ruth...I am avoiding the news/tv too this week. Luckily I have lots to keep me busy. I homeschool my teen and I have my first post-op mammogram and ultrasound Tuesday. I am trying to stay focused on those things. It rained all day today but hopefully the weather will be pretty and we can get outside some.

• scotbird
    Options

Feeling good today - first day of following a really strict food regime that I’m determined to stick to for the next 2 weeks as my clothes have started to get uncomfortable. Feeling relieved that I have decided to take some positive action rather than just “trying” to eat healthily, which doesn’t seemed to work well as I always give myself excuses. I’ve asked my husband not to offer me any food and not to discuss it with me. Also asked my mum not to bring any cakes over. They both want to feed me all the time!

• cm2020
    Options

Awe, that is sweet that your mom and hubby want to feed you. But it is frustrating too. I am being strict as well. It does feel good. Like you, my clothes are getting uncomfortable and I don't like it. So far so good today!

• scotbird
    Options

I am feeling great today, after my first day of my 2 week ultra strict regime. It always seems to work this way, feast or famine are my 2 default settings. I am fine with either one of them. The problem setting is moderation. I can’t seem to do that one at all. Thank goodness the weather here has improved. It was really stormy all last week, and now it’s beautiful autumn sunshine, so I am making the most if it and have been spending time out on my bicycle and in the garden.

• cm2020
    Options

ScotBird...I have those same two default settings. I also have never mastered moderation....though heaven knows I have tried. It sounds like we are very much alike. I'm glad you are feeling good! Today I have been on the feast wagon unfortunately--though it hasn't been nearly as bad as it could have been, thank goodness. This election is nerve-wracking as hell. Plus I was up early (after not sleeping well) for my diagnostic mammo (it was clear).

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 955
    Options

Since this time last year, I've lost 26 lbs. My blood pressure is better and my A1C has dropped out of the prediabetes danger zone. For a tough old bird like me, this is amazing. I'm doing three things--

I weaned myself off paroxetine, a SSRI antidepressant my MO originally prescribed in 2011. It worked well for keeping hot flashes under control, but I suspected it also made it hard to lose weight. I was right. I took four months to fully wean but dropped 10 pounds quickly. But...and this is a BIG one...if you need to take an SSRI, don't stop taking it!

I walk an hour every day. I'm retired now so finding the time is easy. Good for my bones, my AI aches, my energy level. Sometimes I ride a mtn bike instead of walking, but at least an hour out of every day is spent MOVING.

No calories before noon or after 8 PM. When I've followed a restrictive diet in the past, I do lose weight. But I get so sick of being hungry and feeling deprived ("I'll never eat pizza/cake/pasta/french fries/Halloween candy again...") I eventually fall off the wagon and gain it all back, and then some. With intermittent fasting it's easy. I can eat anything, just not before noon or after eight. Truthfully, I find myself choosing healthier options, but if I want to splurge, I splurge. SB

• cm2020
    Options

sbelizabeth.....I love all of your advice and am so glad you took the time to write it out for us. Congratulations on your weight loss success! You give me a lot of hope (everyone here has). Thank you!

• scotbird
    Options

Sbelizabeth that is fantastic, so inspiring! Thanks very much for posting.

I had a good day yesterday and am now into day 3 of my very strict 2 week diet. I know that I can do this. The big question is what to do at the end of the 2 weeks, to stop myself putting the weight back on. I’m thinking hard about that one!

• cm2020
    Options

i did well today despite very little sleep last night. ScotBird...you are doing fantastic!