Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Looking for all of your tips/tricks/wisdom please!

Options

Comments

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    Options

My 40 miles was actually 42.6 miles, so feel well exercised once again. Rainy at the start, but was rewarded by a glorious return and then the most glorious sunset and moonrise driving home. Today promises to be fair once the fog lifts.

There is something sneaky about lack of exercise and weight gain. You don't gain the weight all at once when you stop exercising. What happens is that your muscles turn to fat, your metabolism slows, and THEN all sorts of unpleasant things start to happen. This happened once in my life when I swapped a very active job for a desk job. Which is why I made a point of not losing my muscle mass by exercising throughout treatment (including chemo). I didn't want to be blindsided twice.

Although I also do crunches and lift weights, cycling and skiing are what keep me fit and sculpted. Plus a lot of walking.

I am looking forward to having a lot more things to wear which will start happening about 5 lb. from where I am now. Even more so at the 10 mile marker, as I go onto the 15 or so additional pounds I need to lose. I will be down at least one size when I am done.

Need to do a major wine buy which is the bulk of my Christmas shopping, plus I get to support local wineries that badly need my support. One of my friends in NY is just getting over Covid, and no doubt this will cheer her up immensely. I am now at the point where it's easier to forego wine with dinner, though obviously greatly miss it. A question of drinking several cups of herbal tea to signal the end of the day.

Making turkey pie tonight, my first in a couple of decades. So much tastier and healthier when you make it yourself. Plus, I need to cook up the rest of the beans.

Onto the wine order! - Claire

• scotbird
    scotbird Member Posts: 592
    Options

Claire your lifestyle sounds fabulous! I really need to start exercising properly again. I keep making excuses to my self. Today is not a fasting day. I’m going to try not to feast quite as much as I have been doing recently

• scotbird
    Options

I just got back from my first bike ride since hurting my my foot a few weeks ago. There is a really big park near me called Pollok Park which is a beautiful place to cycle or walk in. Last time I was there it was really wet with huge heaps of fallen leaves everywhere, making it a bit treacherous. Today all the paths had been cleared and there hasn’t been quite as much rain recently (it rains a lot in Glasgow) so no big puddles at all. I was only out for 30 mins and my cycling is slower than some runners, but I am thrilled that I stopped making excuses and got out there. Now I need to make sure I get out every day come rain or shine!

• claire_in_seattle
    Options

Well done, ScotBird! I am with you on the rain or shine though do think twice if black ice out there. Even then, I usually go out with ski poles and hiking boots. I don't cycle hills if there are wet leaves about either. The trails were clear last weekend when I was out.

I got out at dusk for a 3.5 mile walk.

Getting out also boosts my mood, even when rainy. My brain works better as well.

Major, major congrats on the bicycle ride! My goal for today is to walk 4 miles or a bit more. I also need a few meals of fish to undo the Thanksgiving feasting. I froze some turkey along with some fresh green beans. They will make an appearance next week in some sort of curry.

BTW - when in London two years ago, I managed to twist my foot walking in Holland Park. It was two flights down to the loo where I was staying and I was walking 10 miles per day. Memorable, and not in the right way. But I survived and saw almost everything I wanted to see, plus did a fair bit of shopping. I limped for a couple more weeks, and then I was fine.

I feel so lucky that I can walk and cycle. I live in an over 55 place for people who define "active" a bit differently than I do. So much preventable infirmity. Something else to think about. I don't want to be amongst the infirm....or at least not for a very long time. - Claire

• claire_in_seattle
    Options

Looked up Pollok Park and what a lovely place. The house is spectacular as are the gardens. I can see why the grounds would be the loveliest of places to walk or cycle. - Claire

• scotbird
    Options

Did a dog walk this morning, not far but I’m trying to just get out there every day for a walk or bike ride. Even if only for 20 minutes. I’m into my 3rd week of alternate day fasting now. Weight is a bit up and down, but basically stable. After Christmas if my weight has not gone down I will start to do a longer fast every couple of weeks to get a bit more weight off. Also need to start building up my strength and fitness again, gradually

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,082
    Options

I read this thread most days but have not posted before. Just wanted to share the exercise & eating "pattern" that has worked for me.

When everything shut down in March, I started walking every morning. Originally 3 miles a day but now usually 5-6 miles. I did this for weight bearing bone health since chemo dumped me into osteoporosis. But a side benefit is that I've lost 15+ lbs and it's stayed off.

I am post-menopausal. I eat beef maybe once a month and either chicken or fish once or twice a week but usually in things like stir fry so small portions. Lots of veggies & salads. Not enough fruits.

Basically I eat one meal a day - usually mid afternoon. I have only water before I walk every morning. Some days if I'm really 'starving' when I get home, I have instant breakfast with added protein powder. Or sometimes I have a cup of green tea with a hard boiled egg that I keep ready in the fridge. Most days nothing until my meal except one coke mid day. I do allow myself a snack in the evening - like 1/2 cup of cashew nuts or a couple of cookies.

It's been interesting figuring out what works. I love bread, but if I even look at a loaf the grocery store I gain a pound so I try not to buy it. I have not given up butter. That will never happen. I still have two cokes & a glass of wine every day. And I eat one piece of dark chocolate every day.

Thank you all for your inspiring posts. Several times when I was tempted to just stay in bed, you have spurred me to tie on my shoes & go.

• scotbird
    Options

Wow MinusTwo yours is a very inspiring story! Developing healthy habits does seem to be the holy grail. It’s beautiful and frosty here today and crunchy underfoot. Lovely weather for a walk

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,082
    Options

I should add - although I didn't personally have luck with fasting whole days, I realized when I was walking this morning that this one meal a day schedule in the middle of the afternoon would be hard to keep if we weren't all staying home because of Covid. Last year I was meeting friends for lunches & dinners several times a week. Mixed blessings.

• scotbird
    Options

I’ve already started thinking about all the things I am going to cook and eat at Christmas. This year there will only be six of us: last year there were 16. I am going to have to try really hard to keep this in mind and not over cater. After fasting yesterday, I’m starving this morning, but hoping that I can be a bit more moderate with my feasting than has been the case recently. Weight is stable, and around 15lbs lower than it was in May

• claire_in_seattle
    Options

I am down about 6 lb. from where I started, and getting a lot closer to where I was where I was in March just prior to lockdown. This is enough to start to make a real difference in how things look and feel on me and how I feel about my body. This was with having turkey pie for lunch most of this week. That shows you how ruinous takeout lunches can be. I am wondering if one of the keys to maintenance is to forego these altogether. I would far rather give up these than wine on a more permanent basis.

Eating fresh fish more often also seems to help.

Though tonight will be Berkshire pork chops. Pricey, but delicious. I need to pay the local butcher a visit as well. Very pricey, but amazing meat. Satisfied with less.

But my next big dish will be soup, which will also use up some miscellaneous veggies in the freezer. Such as the kale which I didn't fancy all that much when I cooked it up the other evening. Diced up into the soup???? Fabulous, as will be the final wedge of the veg. marrow that's languishing in the fridge. I have gorgeous local celery. So soup it will be. Beans and Italian sweet sausage for protein.

Makes a delicious, filling lunch as well as dinner. Hoping to get out skiing this weekend, though snow will be spotty. The easier trails to kick off the season. That will make me happy.

But first the webinar we are hosting today and where I am doing the backend logistics. Wish me luck. I will be overjoyed to be past that one. No time for this brain to get soft....it's as exercised as the rest of me. - Claire

• tiff2008
    tiff2008 Member Posts: 31
    Options

Hi everyone! It's been a minute since I've been on here. I am a 12 yr cancer survivor !!! My original diagnosis was Stage 1, Grade 2 HR/PR+ . I had a lumpectomy , chemo and radiation. Took Tamoxifen for about 3 years. Later I got implants in both breasts and everything is great! I'm now Post Memopause UGH ! For the last year I've had a lot of problems down there. Sex really hurts, itchy and so uncomfortable to wear any pants at all . Dr. told me my labia's are hitting each other which makes that area very sore ., WHAT? that sounds weird. When I look down there its very red all the around the area. Sorry I don't know what the "area" is all called. I've tried coconut oil, olive oil (per dr) have taken several meds/creams hoping to clear it up if there was any bacteria.. nothing has helped. I'm going to make another dr appt probably for a biopsy this time.... Of course can't take Hormones.

Sorry for all the details, but wondered if any of you have experienced similar things? If so, what have you done to fix it or??

Thank you for listening.

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 955
    Options

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/150/topic...

Tiff2008, you might have a look at this thread. It's "vaginal atrophy solution that is working for me," with a lot of input from others with the same issue.

• scotbird
    Options

Tiff so sorry to hear about this - it sounds distressing I am glad you are going back to the doctor, there must be something they can do for you. Keep going back until you are happy and I hope the other thread that sbelizabeth mentioned will be able to help and advise you as well.

I am fasting today, the weather is OK so I'll get out on my bike now before it starts raining which it seems to do every single day here.

• jons_girl
    jons_girl Member Posts: 444
    Options

Hi everyone. I haven’t been in this group til now. I’m also in menopause since spring of this year. I’m trying to take off just a few lbs. I’m a plant based vegan. And I regularly intermittently fast. I normally eat one main meal and have been trying not to snack. My meal is large. It works well for me.

Tiff I understand a bit about menopause and what it does to our bodies. Ugh. I had a special test done (urine) for hormone levels through a functional medicine doctor. Some of my medical team including my MO are supporting estrogen cream vaginally as well as testosterone cream vaginally for my symptoms and deficiencies. My MO stated there are studies that support the body doesn’t uptake the estrogen cream. But because of the testosterone and just out of caution my doctor will be running blood tests to make sure my estrogen and testosterone levels don’t go up. If they do then we change amount of med.

I haven’t started yet on this protocol yet. I want my breast doctors approval too. My MO has approved tho.

I’m not telling you or anyone else to do the above info but I’m considering the advice of my functional medicine doctor

Another product you might look at: https://www.ahyes.org/products/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIx5Wu_fW27QIV9j6tBh0KpAA1EAAYASAAEgKdAvD_BwE

It seems to be a good product.

• scotbird
    Options

I didn’t really notice my menopause as it seemed to happen overnight 5 years ago and coincided with my second chemo (I was 49). I am often bad tempered, my libido is lower, and I get a bit of sudden hot flashing a few times a week but that is about it. I guess I’ve been quite lucky. I do struggle with my weight, but haven’t noticed this struggle being any different post menopause. It’s been about the same issues for the last 40 years, while my weight has fluctuated in a 50lb range (from 126lbs to 176lbs) during that time. Today I weigh 147lbs. I don’t think this will ever stop being a struggle for me. Alternate day fasting has been my most successful way to control my tendency to overeat over the years, with occasional extreme diets for a few weeks when things start getting out of hand. The main downside is that dieting does seem to make me more bad tempered and less patient with other family members! Or to put it another way, in the past I eat as a way to dull my negative emotions, and when I stop doing that, I end up expressing them to my family... I committed to posting here every day until Christmas after cm2020 asked for more dialogue, and it’s actually helped me a lot, and gives me a lot of support. Thanks everyone!

• scotbird
    Options

I am starting to enjoy the rhythm of alternate day fasting. The mainthing I really notice is how hungry I feel in the mornings. Proper hunger pangs - the feeling of an empty stomach. I am starting to think that this is a good and healthy feeling. It is supposed to take six weeks to embed a new habit, and this week will be my forth week.

• claire_in_seattle
    Options

Great going, ScotBird. I got in my planned ski on Saturday and a 20 mile ride yesterday. I covered less ground on my skis than planned as it was very icy, and then I took a fall at the far end of the road. But enough to get my groove back and be ready for better snow which should arrive late this week.

I made a huge vat of bean soup last night so have soup for the week. I also made a Rillettes de Tours which is mainly for Christmas presents. (Mine is far better than any available locally and I have a fan club for this - Delia Smith's recipe, but with added herbs, spices and garlic.) I ordered a new parka for skiing yesterday which should arrive in the next week or so. I choose a slim-fitting style as an inducement to keep going. It will most likely be a bit snug when it first arrives, but it should fit beautifully once I am down to my goal weight.

I still have to get my tree which I hope to do later today. I need to get to work but am resisting. I think I will start with the website review, which I feel is still missing the mark. Dreading the call on this later.

All said and done, it's so wonderful to see success. I think this is a lead-in to a reset of a few things in 2021. I was on the way there nine months ago, but things got diverted with Covid. Time to revisit my hopes and dreams for the next ten years. I have already started this process with the weight loss, and also a few life upgrades. I need to get back in the dating game. (Nothing wrong with this libido, but solo isn't the way to roll in that department.)

More to come, and that is most exciting. - Claire

• scotbird
    Options

Fabulous Claire, loving all the motivation! I ycled down to the post office yesterday to post Christmas presents. A bit icy in a few places, but still OK on the roads. I am so looking forward to getting back to my gym next year and swimming in the outdoor pool there. Scale down again today. I woke up at 6am feeling really hungry, so I had a big breakfast. I feel great now.

• scotbird
    Options

Fasting today. I have cleaners who come once a month and clean my house from top to bottom. They are here today - I love it when they come, it’s such a treat. As good as going on holiday

• scotbird
    Options

I cooked dinner for the family last night, but as it was my fast day, I did not teat. I am looking forward to eating leftovers for my lunch today

• claire_in_seattle
    Options

Still holding, neither up nor down. Freshly coifed and I have to say it was great to get in a haircut, as feel ever so more chic. Ran into a difficulty yesterday when the butcher that I use every year had decided not to carry suet, an uncommon item in the U.S., this year. This is after I had invested a considerable sum in pudding ingredients. But a friend who is a serious foodie rescued me.

He called all the butcher shops in Seattle (mind you, he has a vested interest in this) and we found one that does whole, locally-sourced animals. On top of this, the owner is from the UK, so has a really good idea what this is all about. I pick up the suet tomorrow; they have set it aside and will grind it for me.

I think this will proved to be a major find as they do meat pies, terrines, sausages and all sorts of wonderful items not available elsewhere. My friend is over the moon as he has taken up brewing. He has plenty of room in his new house.

Other thing I did was stop at the resale shop that I frequent. Got a few lovely items, including a Christmas present for a friend. Happy to support them.

It's chilly and wintry out again. Snowing in the mountains. Hoping for a fabulous ski day on Saturday, and perhaps even Sunday. We shall see. - Claire

• scotbird
    Options

Last time I saw my hairdresser was in March, but hair is surprisingly OK. Luckily the gray in my roots, which are about 2 inches long is a colour not too different to the blonde highlights on the ends, or that is what I tell myself anyway. I’ve saved a lot of time and money by not visiting my hairdresser, I might make it an annual occasion.

My alternate day fasting is going well. And becoming a habit. Weight is pretty stable and on a very slow downward trajectory I reckon. Since Christmas falls on my fasting day, I’m going to try a 2 day fast so that I’ll be on the right day to eat my Christmas lunch. This is going to be hard.

• claire_in_seattle
    Options

Got my tree up and decorated. It's a Noble Fir from a tree farm about 8 miles from here. The person I normally go to only had 4 trees left, so I had to get creative. I went to a very strange place that was also out of trees, but scored at a place about 4 miles away. Tons of trees left, and I think this one is just gorgeous. Very fresh too. I can just make out the black swan towards the top. I brought it back from London last year.

This was after a flying trip into Seattle to get suet for puddings. I am very glad that I also got a couple of pork chops because I am too tired to make anything for dinner other than that and a baked potato plus reheat vegetables. The puddings will need to wait.

The butcher was like being in a food hall in Europe, so will need to go back for terrines etc. I bought 8 oz. of dried mushrooms, a real find as I love them in risottos, etc. I also have fresh chanterelles from Pike Place market. I bought a squab, which I don't think I have ever made, but I am guessing that braising it in the chanterelles, shallots, wine, and herbs could be a safe bet. Perhaps Sunday?

It smells just heavenly in here….need to get the pitch off my hands though. Not to mention that really fresh trees are a lot heavier to get from top of car to stand….quite the feat. No worries about exercise, not with all the walking and tree decorating. Picture below. - Claire

• scotbird
    Options

Oooh it looks beautiful! Still need to get a tree. I’m a very last minute person when it comes to Christmas. This year I’ll probably be a tiny bit more organised than usual as I want to avoid crowds. So today I’m starting a second consecutive day of “fasting” which means I’m going to have black tea and coffee, some apples and a large glass of wine at 8pm. I’m feeling mush better now that I’ve lost weight, and my children have started noticing, and keep telling me how pretty I look. Which is very nice.

After today I’m going back to alternate day fasting which means I’ll be able to feast on Christmas Day, thank goodness. I’m so looking forward to Christmas lunch already and it’s still another 2 weeks off....

• claire_in_seattle
    Options

I hear you, ScotBird on Christmas Lunch. I am looking forward to mine as well, though not yet sure what it will consist of. I will do a pheasant if home alone, but I could get an invite from my foodie friend and son. But will start the festivities Christmas Eve, perhaps with a backed seafood casserole which is a fave from my childhood. It goes with champagne. Anyway, I am down another couple of pounds now so feeling like there is hope. I am one third there.

I need to order my Large Christmas Gift which will be a Bose Internet Radio with Bluetooth and Alexa (plus a CD player). I got the my new shelves up so I now have the space. These are quite expensive so a major purchase. I do have a radio, but I want to have the option to listening to Radio 4, Radio France, Radio Canada, CBC plus all the online music streaming services. This will be literally a whole new world and I am excited. I grew up in Northern Vermont and listened to the CBC a lot when growing up. At that time, they used the BBC World Service so was introduced to that at a tender age. I still marvel at their ability to fit all the news into 15 minutes, whereas NPR takes 3 hours to cover the same ground.

I just took the suet out of the fridge as need to mix up the first batch of Christmas Puddings. I can steam them later, but want them ready to go with Batch 1 done by EOD tomorrow.

Need to check the snow situation in the mountains. Grooming report is iffy. Hmmm. The weather web cams will give me a lot more information, or they will once the sun rises.

I am so happy with my tree, not to mention that I got to put some money into the local economy. It's one of the prettiest I have ever had, mostly perfect, but with enough imperfection so you know that it's real. When I was in my teens, my sisters and I used to cut and sell Christmas trees (with help from our father) to earn money for Christmas presents. So I am choosier than most people. Interestingly, neither of my sisters puts up a real tree. I am so grateful that this apartment has the space for one, and that I reclaimed my older ornaments about 2 years ago. Some of these go back decades. I distinctly remember scraping together some money to buy the unicorn ornament, which came with a broken foot, back in the day. I made it whole with Crazy Glue. Looking at my current tree, I think it could use another box of red ornaments. That is an Amazon item, and I want good ones.

Anyway, I think I can shave off a couple more pounds prior to Christmas. That will make me extremely happy. Not to mention that I shall soon fit into my leather Versace mini skirt.

Because what's the point of having fabulous legs if you don't rock them! - Claire

• yesiamadragon
    yesiamadragon Member Posts: 343
    Options

Hi All,

I have been following along with this thread. I am still getting treatment (an antibody-drug congugate that isn't nearly as bad at the TCHP but is still rough on me) and an AI and I have bad neuropathy, so some days it is so hard to motivate myself! I am long time vegetarian and teetotaler, but not vegan.

I am somewhat south of where Claire grew up (and probably east -- I am on the river, nearly) but still in the boonies enough not to get cell service at home and not to have nearby shopping. I am lucky to have been able to join a rowing group for cancer survivors that is now via zoom, and Concept 2 (makers of the most common ergs) has a 100,000 meter holiday challenge between Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve, and with the prodding of my rowing buddies I have now logged 76,000 meters! I am also doing a modified PALS breast cancer training (I have to do it as private training, unfortunately, and some by zoom, some in person but in a private gym with just me and my trainer). I have really needed my trainer and my rowing group to keep me going with exercise, though my watch nagging me sometimes helps as well. Even on the days when I feel like I just CAN'T I try to tell myself to just do 5 minutes. It really does help with the neuropathy, and I am even slowly building back some of the muscle I lost from the TCHP.

I hope everyone is staying well!

Dragon

• claire_in_seattle
    Options

Hi Dragon,

Looks like you are on the east side of the divide, possibly near White River. But perhaps not because then you would be close to Dartmouth Hitchcock. The Northeast Kingdom would be really remote if you live there. I grew up in Lamoille County and am related to about half the old families through my father's side of the family. Also have French Canadian heritage.

Heaven help you if you live near Norwich, home of King Arthur Flour. A dangerous place. BTW - I still use their white flour because it really is that much better. I know people who work/have worked at Concept 2.

I am not vegetarian and greatly miss my wine, though necessary to curtail the high living until the lard comes off.

Doing work for a brain cancer nonprofit, I actually know what an antibody-drug congugate is. One fallacy is that these targeted therapies are easier on the body than chemo. Not necessarily. Really exciting things going on with comprehensive genomic profiling and targeted therapies. This from a call I participated in last Thursday.

As for motivation, I remember when I was seriously dragging during chemo. I decided that I might as well be dragging and exercised as opposed to dragging and unexercised. Once I actually got moving, I felt better. Amazing. Besides, it was fun to rub it in with my oncologist that I was getting far more exercise than he was (and that I had the muscle tone to prove it). My surgeon started running because of me, though a few years later. Until she moved, I gifted her with wine each Christmas. She became extremely unpopular with her colleagues because she was the only one getting a good bottle of wine from their patients.

I went out skiing today, but only for a simple out and back. Needs about one more foot of snow to be really fun. The real trails didn't look any fun at all. Not to mention that I like a soft landing if I crash. I got a lot of shoulder work staying upright in the slick conditions.

Christmas puddings are steaming, so finally making headway on that front. Need to go out for good cheese, French bread, and sugar. Onion soup on the menu for this evening.

More later. Feel just fabulous from my ski. Supermarket is right across the way, so will get in some more exercise walking there and back. Hopefully no black ice...time for lug soles. - Claire

• scotbird
    Options

Dragon I am the same way about motivation to exercise. It’s the hardest thing for me right now and I make lots of excuses. My gym is closed now - I loved going there - in the summer I was cycling every day and also lifting weights, but since my hip surgery a couple of months ago I am struggling to get going each day, specially since injuring my foot a few weeks ago. There only seem to be a few hours of daylight at the moment and the weather is mostly wet and I’m working full time. But after reading your post I realised that my excuses are all poor, pumped up my tyres, and had a really nice ride out yesterday. No excuses today either. So thank you!

I am looking forward to eating today after fasting for the last 2 days. I am looking and feeling much better since starting to seriously try to maintain a healthier lifestyle and find intermittent fasting surprisingly enjoyable now I have got used to it - like you Claire I still want to lose a few more pounds. Happy to do this slowly. I don’t want to go above the healthy BMI range again: plan to move further towards the middle of the healthy range fir my height and stay there foreve.

• yesiamadragon
    yesiamadragon Member Posts: 343
    Options

Claire -- I am jealous of your skiing! I am not sure we will get out this year even if we do get some much-delayed snow! My balance is just a bit too wonky. My small town has amazing trails -- all volunteer, all on private land that farmers allow to be used for winter trails (pasture and forest). They have even bought a groomer! Unfortunately for me, even if we get snow (I am feeling VERY cheated already this winter!), a lot of the trails and connectors are black, very few green which is the most I feel capable of this year.

Scot -- Isn't it easy to make excuses?! LOL, I need an external push so many days. But the one who really challenged me to even try the 100,000 metre challenge went through a stem-cell transplant, and so she is permanently immunosuppressed and with neuropathy and weakness from the heavy-duty chemo and the chronic steroids she has never been able to get off. So I felt like if she can do it, I need to at least try. And with that, I am going to finish my coffee and get on the erg and re-watch some holiday GBBO to get my day off to a happy start :)