Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

TIME TO CIRCLE THE WAGONS GIRLS

Comments

• newvickie
    newvickie Member Posts: 2,941
    edited February 2007
    Ok...that's said and done.
    Nicki...good morning...bitter cold here too and I am so very sick of winter at this point.
    Cheri...you missed our party girl!! And where have you hidden Mena.
    My guess is that Deb isn't up yet LOL. Still don't know what time it is there.
    Lini Lini Lini...come back and see us...we miss you.
    NS...pop in and give a howdy and know that we are here for you.
    Mena...you are missed too and needed here. Hope all is going well with you.
    Peggyfive...ok...where are you!!!
    Denise and Carrie...has anyone heard from them?
    Laurab...hoping that you are ok.
    Karen...hugs to you...are you feeling better?
    Hope that Kevin is feeling better and I still need to get a care package out to him. I haven't gotten anywhere but work and the vets yesterday...too cold and nasty to travel too far and everywhere is far from where I live.
    RobinTN...gonna send the posse after you girly!
    Shel...come out of hiding missy!
    Peggy...did you get your results...we've been wondering and sending positive energy your way.
    Amy...sending hugs to you and your SO.
    Oh my...chatty this morning and sitting here in my bathrobe...my toe is lookin a bit funky from my stumbling last night...Nate is ready for breakfast and I need to get in the shower and get ready to brave the cold and go get groceries...ewwww!
    Love to all
    Vickie
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 2,728
    edited February 2007
    Good Morning Vickie! So your heard me yell wake up did ya? Cant believe your up this early. A party thread would be a great idea. This morning I am thinking about alot of things.

We come here everyday to share our feelings and give support. And laugh too. But I really wonder - when something goes wrong, are we comfortable talking about it.

For example: One week ago, I started getting a shooting pain down my leg. Not like sciatica, but I funny bone pain. Immediately thought it was mets - of course! Then I thought well wait the 2 weeks and if its not better go see the doctor. Then the other night I had terrible leg pain all night long. I never brought this up here, didnt want to scare anyone I suppose. Anyways - realized the leg pain is from me exercising again.

I fear, NS - you are doing the samething. When you need us the most! Not talking about things - well I can understand, you need your time. But we do worry about you so very much. Just know we are here for you.

OK - Im hungry. Gotta put together a good breakfast today. Still doing low carb so we will have omelets, pick your ingrediants. And bacon is cooking right now. Permiating the circle with its wonderful aroma. Fresh citrus fruit salad. Too cold to sit by the campfire. But my teepee is warm, and big. Have lots of room to come here to sit and talk for a bit.

Nicki

• newvickie
    edited February 2007
    I'm actually thinking about a lot of things too. Post traumatic stress I believe. The weather isn't helping at all. Worried about everything and anything...wishing my DD would just pack it in and come home. Thinking of baby Derrick and worrying about him. His mother (I just can't call her my half sister) has called twice complaining that all he does is cry. I know that Nathaniel was a "failure to thrive" baby as he wouldn't eat for her and she didn't bother to even try. Missing my mom, dad, grandfather and of course worrying about money money money.
    gotta get out of the house and do something!
  • [Deleted User]
    edited February 2007
    Im stuck in the house - once again! Dang ice and snow storm. Its sad about baby Derrick. Children need a good home with lots of love.

Oh and money - samething here. Im thinking about getting a second job. At least I can get my hair colored, a manicure and pedicure for my birthday. I cant wait!!

Nicki
  • newvickie
    edited February 2007
    I started our cyber party thread...oh...I hope this is ok with everyone!?!?
    I think we should go to the Jersey shore and drag NS out to the ocean and have some fun....yup it's cold there but we are pretending so it doesn't matter!
    Cooking breakfast so I'll be back later.
  • joy1122
    joy1122 Member Posts: 189
    edited February 2007
    Hi Girls,
    I haven't had a chance to read anything just checking in. Kevin went to the doctor's yesterday. They couldn't take the drain out because it still is draining too much. He has a connective tissue disease that slows this process up. That is why the doctor says it is taking longer then normal. His teacher is coming to tutor him for two hours this morning so I have to go. He should be able to return to school once the drain comes out. The doctor says he could go back w/h it still in. I don't think so...the doctor has no clue how that feels!

Joyce
  • Madison
    Madison Member Posts: 859
    edited February 2007
    Morning All,

I think the cyber party thread is a great idea.

I've been awake since 5:00 a.m. working on the afghan. Just put the crochet needle down to leave for a 2 hour drive to visit elderly parents.

I know many of you are getting snow and ice storms today, be careful.

We will be having bad thunderstorms (scared to drive 2 hours with the thunderstorm prediction, but have to check up on parents).

Stay safe and warm everyone, Madison
  • newvickie
    edited February 2007
    Joyce...I'm sorry that Kevins drains didn't come out yet...we all know how that feels and for the doctor to say he could go back to school is ridiculous! I wouldn't have went to work with my drains!!
    Sending hugs to you and him and your whole family.
    Vickie
    Oh Madison...I am running out to grab a few groceries...pick up prescriptions (there goes another 80 bucks)but then I have the rest of the weekend to put together the afghan...Yippee...maybe it will get me out of the funk.
  • silvergirl9114
    silvergirl9114 Member Posts: 310
    edited February 2007
    I think the party thread is an excellent idea. The parties help to lighten the load but I logged on this a.m. to see 137 (!) new posts since 11 p.m. last nite and didn't even attempt to read them. Could have missed an important post from someone needing support....

Nicki---I know what you mean. If I'm talking about a glitch with my health I'm actually SCREAMING. Hold it in because I don't want to bring anybody down. Like onc's NP wants me to have a bone scan for the pain in my hip. Gotta get the blinkin' biopsy done first.

Vickie---your living room is gawjus. If I were still living alone my kitchen would be that color with white cabinets. SO expects to be part of the decision making process---imagine that----and I know that would be such a tough sell I don't even bother.
  • MargaretB
    MargaretB Member Posts: 771
    edited February 2007
    Ladies, you were active at the hoedown last night.

Amy, please tell your SO that she is in the center of the circle. I'm sure her friend's situation didn't lessen any concerns she has about you.

Liz, I don't know what I'd do if I lost my eyelashes, I don't have any to start with. I never did lose eyelashes or eyebrows to chemo.

Now that you mention it, I remember square dancing, it must have been in elementary school,

Deb, I cannot even begin to imagine what it is like to live in weather where it is -19 - I was complaining yesterday because it was bitter cold and it was 50 degrees. And I would be the one who would have to use the porta potties in -19 weather. Because I have to go so frequently, I know the location of every bathroom in every shopping center for a 40 mile radius.

Nicky, go on the trip. What an exciting opportunity. I'm joining you for breakfast - I brought the coffee.

Vicky, I think a party thread would be a good idea. I'm thinking of painting one wall in my kitchen the color of your room. Just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Joyce, I hope Kevin's drain comes out soon. I wouldn't send him to school with drains either.

More later.

Margaret
  • sherloc
    sherloc Member Posts: 893
    edited February 2007
    well so much for sleeping in. Woke up at 4:30 and laid there for 30 minutes, then said screw it and got up and made some coffee. Strong enough for the horseshoe to stand up girls. Good for the morning after woozyies.

Cheri, Of course I want your bras. Doesn't matter how big or small or plain or fancy. Each one will represent one of us.
    Oops your still sleeping....shhhhhh sorry.

Nicki, I bet you make the cutest leprachaun. Beth Moore is a writer of Christian books. I haven't actually read any of her stuff so can't say if they are any good.
    Not the same Beth who is married to JDS from chat. That dear lady had a stroke caused by brain mets a couple of weeks ago.
    Me thinks I was a little bit over the top last night too. I didn't notice anything amiss with your post. Hmmmm guess I'll have to go back and read it.
    YEHAW YOUR COMING TO PINKSTOCK.
    AND YEHAW FOR HUBBY. He must be on cloud nine today after that news. Can I come with you?
    O crap you can't do both? Well shoot, that is indeed a pickle. Hmmmm which would I choose?
    I understand about not talking about our worries. I don't go there cause it all scares the crap out of me.

vicki, Stop worrying about that which you have no control over. It only gives you wrinkles. Not that I take my own advice or anything. We never stop being a mom do we. I'll crash the party where ever it's at.

Joyce, go to school with a drain. The doctor is a noodle head. Personally if he were my boy I would pull him out for the rest of the year. But thats just me. My youngest had mono when he was a jr. He did home study for one semester and did very well. He didn't like being away from his friends but he survived. Get Kevin healthy before you send him back into the fray.

Madison, drive safely and slowly today. Hate driving in rain.

Time to wake up the man. Poor guy has to work today.
    Have a great day one and all.
  • sherloc
    edited February 2007
    Silver isn't it absurd that SO's think they have a say in decorating our houses. The nerve. Mine actually thinks he has good taste.

Margaret, I'm the exact opposite. I will hold it in till I burst before I use a public bathroom. Portapottys don't even come into the picture. Ewwwwwwwwww Guess I'm gonna have to suck it up at Pinkstock.
  • newvickie
    edited February 2007
    Shirley...LOL...I am with you...no portapotty's for me...I'll use the woods first...seriously.
    Probably shouldn't have said that...now you girls will be tryin to sneak up and get pics of me with my britches down!
  • nosurrender
    nosurrender Member Posts: 737
    edited February 2007
    Hi girls,
    you all make it impossible to catch up. I don't know what is going on with any of you there are so many posts!

I will try to day- but just wanted to let you know that my onc called this morning and the scans are all ok. He is still concerned about the thyroid lighting up but it ALWAYS lights up.

The headaches are migraines and there isn't anything I can do about them. He did say that the MRI picked up a sinus infection too- geez those things pick up everything!

I cannot believe how many pages there are to get through... I hope everyone is ok and I am sending you all my love.
    g
  • Biker54
    Biker54 Member Posts: 1,042
    edited February 2007
    Good Morning All,

Yup, I have a headache. Slept good though.

Vickie, the party thread is a great idea! I know it is tough to deal with Derrick's mother. I'm assuming she acted the same way when Nathanial was born. Some people just should not be allowed to have children.

I didn't take notes, so I can't remember who said they were afraid to post about fears. Nicki? This is the one place we shouldn't be afraid. We are surrounded by so many who just "get it". We shouldn't be afraid to talk about any pains we are having, no matter how trivial. If others have experienced the same pains or feelings, sharing that info will help us to know if we need to call the doc or just come into the inner circle for a big hug.
    Here's my big hug to all of my dear sisters (((((CGs)))))

I've got to stockpile some more logs, since there is bad weather moving in and we need to stay warm. Everyone make sure your tents and wagons are secured, there is a lot of wind today. Mazer and Distorted Humor need extra blankies.
    Gotta get some things done, so I'll check in later.
  • sherloc
    edited February 2007
    NS is was just a party with a bunch of silliness. Go back to page 260 if you want to see the doings from yesterday.

Yehaw on the clear scans. But bummer on the migraines and sinus infection.
  • Biker54
    edited February 2007
    Hi G,
    I'm so glad your scans were ok!!! Happy day!! It's good to see you checking in. We worry when we don't hear from you.
  • nosurrender
    nosurrender Member Posts: 737
    edited February 2007
    I was shopping for a close in the front bra again yesterday and the only thing I could come up with is one from the Gap that I will sew an opening in to.

But the sales lady kept telling me they were having a special on bras and that I should buy another and get the third one free and join their "bra" program and every fifth bra is free--- I finally told her I AM NOT IN THE BRA MARKET OK?????

I think it is starting to get to me.

Where are all the posts about YOU guys?
    Someone catch me up!
  • neesie
    neesie Member Posts: 1,110
    edited February 2007
    Six pages since I went to bed last night!! I think I should have stayed and Played...It will take me all day to catch up!
    I did see your living room Vickie! I really like it! The border really adds that "finise" look!
    I'm gonna jump in the shower and start some laundry, but I shall be back!!!
    Love and Hugs,
    Denise
  • Biker54
    edited February 2007
    G, did you try Wal Mart? I got a sport bra with a front close by Bestform. It is pretty comfy. I still wear them when I work out.
    Don't even try to catch up . We had a crazy party last night and everyone stayed up way to late and had too much to drink (at least I did). If you caught Vickie's post, she started a new party thread so we could go back the original intent of the Wagon Circle. It's a good idea. She didn't want sisters to come to the circle for support and not be able to get past the party.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited February 2007
    Oh thank goodness. I found my home again. Got lost for a bit and was posting in the party circle thread.

Feeling good this midmorning. Just waiting for the storm to arrive, and of course worried that my husband might have to drive in it. I dont think we will get rain or ice. Its just too cold. I would prefer snow anyways.

Vickie: Beautiful paint job. Talk about decorating. Well in this house - there is none. Most of the furnature is second hand. I prefer to call them antiques Walls are all white - now isnt that boring?

Joyce: Poor Kevin. He must be really tired of this whole ordeal. And off to school with drains? Good Lord! Thats inviting an infection.

Madison: Hope you have a safe drive to your parents. Sure is tough when they start getting older.See ya at the party.

Although - I know today, Im gonna have big time computer competition. Hawthorne Woods Race Track opened up today, and Im sure my husband will be keeping the computer tied up. There is a horse running today called Nicki Knack Nic! Now - I gotta put money on that one for sure.

Jeannie: Hmmmm why do you think it is sometimes we dont want to talk about health issues and other times we do. Dang, bone scan? I know that will come up if I mention my leg pain to my PCP. I see him this coming Wednesday. But Im pretty sure the pain is from exercising and sitting Indian style while I crochet. A bad habit I have yet been able to break. I could fall asleep sitting that way with my head between my legs.

MargaretB: I sure did enjoy your company at breakfast. And you brought coffee right when I was running out. Wt loss isnt going the way I want it to, evening with all the exercising Im doing. At least Im not gaining.

Sherloc: Thats a sad story about Beth from chat. And her poor husband. I went on chat this morning for a little while. Always nice to check in there every so often.

Jan: Oh the whino flu. Nothing worse that that.

NS: Good to see you check in and so very glad the scans didnt show anything. You can take a deep sigh of relief. I remember, right before my surgery, after all the testing was done, that I just couldnt wait to get it over with. And I think I told you before, when I woke up from the anesthesia I had a sigh of relief cause I knew the cancer was gone. Did you ask you PS what kind of bra to get? I have a real probelm buying bras cause Im so fat! I also remember that on the reconstruction board, everyone said not to buy underwire bras. That was a no no with reconstruction. So I went out and bought some. First visit at my PS office. Guess what. He told me to go out and buy underwire bras and wear them 24/7.

Today is a sad day here on bc.org! Our dear sweet MJ passed on at 1:00pm yesterday afternoon. Many of us knew her from the chat. Just taking a moment of silence, to remember how she helped so many.

Well Im going back to crocheting and reading the newspaper. I will check in with you all later.

There is a Fruit and Yogurt parfee that has my name all over it.

Nicki
  • newvickie
    edited February 2007
    I'm back...oh my it is freezing out there! I'm staying in for the rest of the day.
    So very sad about MJ...saying a prayer for her and her family.
    NS...I am so very happy to hear your good news. We have missed you here. I moved the cyber parties to a new thread so it will be easier to keep up with everyone...no wading through our hyper silliness! We are actually circling your house with our wagons, it's 80 degrees and we are wearing our itsy bitsy teeny weeny yellow polka dot bikini's. Decided that we need to visit YOU! What would you like at your party...anything you want.
    Thanks all for your compliments on the living room...I love it...it's like a new house! Cozy and warm.
    Gotta get groceries taken care of but I'll be back.
    oh...gotta clean the fridge too...a bit afraid that something may grab me and pull me in...it's been a while!!
    Love to all
    Vickie
  • Biker54
    edited February 2007

Nicki, I didn't know MJ, but it is always sad when a sister passes away. I'm taking a moment of silence....

• AlaskaDeb
    AlaskaDeb Member Posts: 1,159
    edited February 2007
    Just time for a quick good MORNING girls...

The whole family is off to the last Crosscountry ski meet of the season. It is a 2 hour drive to the trail, so this is a whole day event.

G- WOOHOO on your all-clear. Hang in there girlfriend. It sounds like the party may be at your house today

I'll check in later ladies.

no matter what today brings, face it with a smile....It may not help you feel better, but it will confuse the hell out of your enemy!
    Deb C
  • AlaskaDeb
    AlaskaDeb Member Posts: 1,159
    edited February 2007
    This is long, but i had to share....

The Daffodil Principle

Several times my daughter had telephoned to say, "Mother, you must come
    to see the daffodils before they are over." I wanted to go, but it was a two-hour drive from Laguna to Lake Arrowhead "I will come next Tuesday", I promised a little reluctantly on her third call.

Next Tuesday dawned cold and rainy. Still, I had promised, and reluctantly I drove there. When I finally walked into Carolyn's house I was welcomed by the joyful sounds of happy children. I delightedly hugged and greeted my grandchildren.

"Forget the daffodils, Carolyn! The road is invisible in these clouds and fog, and there is nothing in the world except you and these children that I want to see badly enough to drive another inch!"

My daughter smiled calmly and said, "We drive in this all the time, Mother." "Well, you won't get me back on the road until it clears, and then I'm heading for home!" I assured her.

"But first we're going to see the daffodils. It's just a few blocks," Carolyn said. "I'll drive. I'm used to this."

"Carolyn," I said sternly, "please turn around." "It's all right, Mother, I promise. You will never forgive yourself if you miss this experience."

After about twenty minutes, we turned onto a small gravel road and I saw a small church. On the far side of the church, I saw a hand lettered sign with an arrow that read, "Daffodil Garden." We got out of the car, each took a child's hand, and I followed Carolyn down the path. Then, as we turned a corner, I looked up and gasped. Before me lay the most glorious sight.

It looked as though someone had taken a great vat of gold and poured it over the mountain peak and its surrounding slopes. The flowers were planted in majestic, swirling patterns, great ribbons and swaths of deep orange, creamy white, lemon yellow, salmon pink, and saffron and butter yellow. Each different-colored variety was planted in large groups so that it swirled and flowed like its own river with its own unique hue. There were five acres of flowers.

"Who did this?" I asked Carolyn. "Just one woman," Carolyn answered. "She lives on the property. That's her home." Carolyn pointed to a well-kept A-frame house, small and modestly sitting in the midst of all that glory. We walked up to the house.

On the patio, we saw a poster. "Answers to the Questions I Know You Are Asking", was the headline. The first answer was a simple one. "50,000 bulbs," it read. The second answer was, "One at a time, by one woman. Two hands, two feet, and one brain." The third answer was, "Began in 1958."

For me, that moment was a life-changing experience. I thought of this woman whom I had never met, who, more than forty years before, had begun, one bulb at a time, to bring her vision of beauty and joy to an obscure mountaintop. Planting one bulb at a time, year after year, this unknown woman had forever changed the world in which she lived. One day at a time, she had created something of extraordinary magnificence, beauty, and inspiration. The principle her daffodil garden taught is one of the greatest principles of celebration.

That is, learning to move toward our goals and desires one step at a time--often just one baby-step at time--and learning to love the doing, learning to use the accumulation of time. When we multiply tiny pieces of time with small increments of daily effort, we too will find we can accomplish magnificent things. We can change the world ...

"It makes me sad in a way," I admitted to Carolyn. "What might I have accomplished if I had thought of a wonderful goal thirty-five or forty years ago and had worked away at it 'one bulb at a time' through all those years? Just think what I might have been able to achieve!"

My daughter summed up the message of the day in her usual direct way. "Start tomorrow," she said.

She was right. It's so pointless to think of the lost hours of yesterdays. The way to make learning a lesson of celebration instead of a cause for regret is to only ask, "How can I put this to use today?"

Use the Daffodil Principle. Stop waiting.....

Until your car or home is paid off
    Until you get a new car or home
    Until your kids leave the house
    Until you go back to school
    Until you finish school
    Until you clean the house
    Until you organize the garage
    Until you clean off your desk
    Until you lose 10 lbs.
    Until you gain 10 lbs.
    Until you get married
    Until you get a divorce
    Until you have kids
    Until the kids go to school
    Until you retire
    Until summer
    Until spring
    Until winter
    Until fall
    Until you die...

There is no better time than right now to be happy.
    Happiness is a journey, not a destination.

Wishing you a beautiful, daffodil day!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 1,233
    edited February 2007
    My sister-in-law sent me this poem this morning, guess she thought it fit me. lol I think it fits some of my friends here too. I haven't read a post yet but I will and then make my usual long post. Wanted to get this on here. lol

Cleaning Poem

I asked the Lord to tell me
    Why my house is such a mess.
    He asked if I'd been 'computering',
    And I had to answer "yes."

He told me to get off my fanny
    And tidy up the house.
    And so I started cleaning up...
    The smudges off my mouse.

I wiped and shined the topside.
    That really did the trick...
    I was just admiring my work..
    I didn't mean to 'click.'

But click, I did, and oops I found
    A real absorbing site
    That I got SO way into.
    I was into it all night.<<Sigh>>

Nothing's changed except my mouse
    It's very, very shiny.
    I guess my house will stay a mess...
    While I sit here on my hiney.
  • Biker54
    edited February 2007

Deb, thank you so much. Sometimes it's good to stand back and get our priorities straight.

• Biker54
    edited February 2007
    Oops! Cheri, I think I recognize someone. Hi, my name is Jan and I'm a boardaholic . I did, however, just clean my bathroom. Yeah, the Jaccuzi too.
  • susanmcm
    susanmcm Member Posts: 699
    edited February 2007
    A belated good morning to you all.

Vickie, I think the new thread is a good idea. and thanks for the reminder about what we are all about.

NS, so glad for your good news.

what we talk about. I know I will delay bringing my complaints some times because it's not BC related and sometimes because it's just not "serious" enough. I don't want to be just a whiner and suck energy out of the circle instead of contributing energy. And I don't want to admit that I can't take care of everything on my own!!

so I go through this internal conversation before I finally break down and tell you all about whatever is bothering me. LOL

So here's the important part. If any of you ever want to talk about something and you want to start out talking to one person instead of the whole group, please use me!! I'm a pretty good listener. I would feel honored. You don't have to worry about how important it is or any of that. It would make me feel good too.

Ok, for now, I'm heading to the beach to lie in the sun since it's raining here.
  • neesie
    neesie Member Posts: 1,110
    edited February 2007
    Hey Deb,
    I just posted to you....but it went on the cyber party link!!

MY SURPRISE IS HERE!! I'm not going to say much and spoil it for the girls who don't have theirs yet! But, I love it and want you to know that you are one special Sister!
    I'm going to pm you now!
    Love ya,
    Denise