Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

TIME TO CIRCLE THE WAGONS GIRLS

Comments

• lizws
    lizws Member Posts: 789
    edited June 2007
    Vickie - you could have costochondritis related to the fall. Even though you didn't fall on that side, I'm sure all of you was pulled. Try an anti-inflammatory like Aleve and then have it checked. Here's some info on it.

Costochondritis may be caused by hypermobility of the anterior end of the costal cartilage. Most often, the tenth rib is the source of pain because, unlike ribs one through seven which attach to the sternum, the eighth, ninth and tenth ribs are attached at the back to each other by loose, fibrous tissue. This provides increased mobility, but a greater susceptibility to trauma.

Costochondritis is also more likely to occur in the lower ribs because of the poor blood supply to the cartilaginous tissue and ligaments. Injury to the cartilage tissue in the lower ribs or the sternocostal ligaments in the upper ribs often does not completely heal naturally.

The ribs are attached in the front, as well as in the back of the body. A loose rib in the front is likely also to be loose in the back. Unexplained upper back pain between the shoulder blades and pain in the rib vertebrae are likely due to joint laxity and/or weakness in the associated ligaments.

Signs & Symptoms
    Initially the symptoms may feel like those of a heart attack: pain moving from side to side of the chest and to the arms and neck. Some sufferers find it more difficult to breathe, but there is usually no reason for alarm when the cause of these symptoms is costochondritis.

During the acute phase, pain is usually worse and it hurts to breathe, wear a bra or move suddenly. Eventually the pain subsides to a dull, constant ache or tenderness in the ribs. The symptoms often disappear within two months but may take up to a year or even become a chronic condition. When chronic, the pain seems to come and go with sudden movements or lifting heavy objects.

Stress may contribute to the pain because it makes the muscles tense. Other things that hurt are lifting, pushing, pulling, sneezing, coughing, long hours of driving or using the computer, repetitive motions and caffeine. Cold, rainy and humid weather also make some sufferers feel worse. Even sinusitis, with the associated nose blowing can be the initial event that results in this chronic chest pain.

MIL amazes me. They've moved her out of ICU into a regular room and her ammonia level has gone from 215 to 55! Not sure when she'll be released.

Okay, now I'm going back to read all the pages I haven't.

BBL
    Hugs
    Liz
  • Biker54
    Biker54 Member Posts: 1,042
    edited June 2007
    Good afternoon all!
    I'm at work and just spent most of my lunch scanning the posts, trying to catch up .

Puppy, any news yet??? We are all with ya!

Marsha, my onc dropped 4 more chemos on me after he told me I only needed 4. That was a major shocker! I never forgave him.

Amy, great pics of Mazer. She is quite the little helper! I hope everything is ok with your dad. It is hard when our parents get old and sick.

My onc gave me a prescription for Fosamax and when I really looked at it, I noticed that he wrote it out for 1 per day. Huh????? I had to go back and get that straightened out and while I was there, I had to sign a consent form because of a necrotizing condition that can happen in the jaw. Oh please!! I work for a dentist, and we have never seen it.
    BBL!
  • newvickie
    newvickie Member Posts: 2,941
    edited June 2007
    You ladies are the best! I have really been worrying about this as it came on so suddenly. It does feel more like "muscle" or something than bone pain. I don't know. I will give it a couple of days and some Aleve and see what happens. Thanks a bunch.
    Liz...that's a pretty amazing MIL!
    Jan...I would have probably shot my oncologist if he had dropped more chemo on me!!! Thats really insane.
    hugs and love to all
    Vickie
  • newvickie
    edited June 2007

sure wish we would hear from Puppy...getting worried here! Oh wait...that's all I do anyway LOL.

• Biker54
    edited June 2007

Vickie, give it some time and take it easy. You very well may have pulled something. I had costochondritis several years ago and still have some minor residual pain from it. Hang in there! Ibuprofin may help.

• PuppyFive
    PuppyFive Member Posts: 539
    edited June 2007
    Hey CGS, Just got back from dr. NO CANCER !!! BUT I have a
    Aneurysm -It says-medium cerebral artery aneurysm.
    Further evaluation is recommended. there is a preserved caliber, course and contour of the the internal carotid arteries, just proximal to the left middle cerebral artery
    bifurcation,next to an anterior temporal artey branch
    The basil artery and its branches and the vertebral arteries are preserved.
    the left vertebral artery is dominaant!
    what ever the hell that means!!!
    I se a Neurasurgeon on the 20th of thius month!!!
    can anyone help me understand what i just said??? Puppy
  • Madison
    Madison Member Posts: 859
    edited June 2007
    Puppy,

No Cancer - No Cancer - happy dance

Okay, maybe one of our nurses can answer your questions before you see a neuro - we'll figure this one out!!

Anyway, did that witch of a nurse yelp when Mazer kicked her....
    Madison
  • lv2cmp
    lv2cmp Member Posts: 899
    edited June 2007
    I cant interpret it but I sure as heck can read NO CANCER! My dad had an aneurysm last year but not in his head. It required surgery but not sure about you.

High fives to no cancer!

Amy
  • lv2cmp
    lv2cmp Member Posts: 899
    edited June 2007
    Well Mazer did have alot of frustrations built up with Susan thinking she was a boy and all but she promised not to take it all out on the nurse,,did she lie? Surely my precious little donkey didnt lie. I told her to get over it, anything without boobs hanging out gets called a boy,,heck happens to me all the time!

Amy
  • PuppyFive
    PuppyFive Member Posts: 539
    edited June 2007
    That Bi*&^%$## got her a tongue lashing from hell!
    hope she gets fired!! I know i am so happy i can scream!
    just dont want another darn surgery!!! Love you girls, but better go make a phone call to some family, the other ones, had to come here first!!!!!!!!! talk to you later!
    THANK YOU for all the prayers, and Amy give that beautiful mazer a can of corn from me!!!! Puppy
  • Biker54
    edited June 2007
    Puppy! Yay, no cancer!!! Can't help you with the aneurysm though. But NO CANCER!!!!!
    Here's your happy dance!

• AlaskaDeb
    AlaskaDeb Member Posts: 1,159
    edited June 2007
    WooHoo PUPPY!!!!! Love to hear no cancer.

I had a friend that had a small aneurysm treated by filling the little bulge up with a type of wire. They did it without surgery by threading the wire in from an artery I think. Here is a link to the typ of procedure she had.

http://www.brainaneurysm.com/aneurysm-treatment.html

She was in the hospital for a day or so and never had a blip of problem.

I know that some people have aneurysms for years that don't need any treatment.

No matter how you look at it...It's NOT CANCER! Doing the happy dance for you

Hugs
    Deb C
  • jankay
    jankay Member Posts: 789
    edited June 2007
    HEH PUPPY CXONGRATS ON NO CANCER]

SORRY LADIES I AM GOING TO HAVEE TO RECOUP FROM THERAPY MY LEGS FFEL SO HEAVY

BBL
  • lizws
    lizws Member Posts: 789
    edited June 2007
    Woooohooooooooooooooo! NO CANCER

• sherloc
    sherloc Member Posts: 893
    edited June 2007
    Just popping in to check on Puppy and see we are gonna have a grand party this weekend. YEHAW!!!!

See we need to add Karens dad to the prayer list. Hugs honey. I know all about not calling your mother.

Vicki, sounds like costochondritis to me. Long ass name for you pulled things out of wack. Beware the pain gets worse before it gets better. Which would explain why you are hurting more as the days go by.

Liz, yippee for you MIL.

Jan, was reading about the jaw necrosis for hours last night. Article I found said that there have actually been less than a 1000 cases of it. With the 1000's and 1000's of women that are taking these drugs I'd say thats pretty good odds. Did learn tho that my braces are out. So much for no more gaps in my teeth. I am very bummed about that. Seems moving your teeth requires the breakdown of bone and the biophos drugs prevent that. Not gonna spend tons of money on something that will most likely not work. Damn Damn Damn. I was so looking forward to it. Another reason for being ticked at my parents for not getting me braces when I was a kid. Grrrrrr.

Amy, sorry for the confusion. To clear things up. Me and hubby are not getting divorced. No one else would have him and I put in to much time and effort to start all over again. But then again, perhaps no one else would have me either. hahahahhahahah
    It is my son in laws parents. They just celebrated their 33rd wedding anniversary. That just makes me so sad.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 1,233
    edited June 2007
    I posted 2 long posts addressing each one of you but lost them both! It's this stupid keyboard in my lap. i don't know what I do to delete it. But I'm so disgusted, maybe I'll post later.

cheri
  • newvickie
    edited June 2007

Woohoo for Puppy!!!! I am so glad it wasn't the nasty C word! Hugs and love to you.

• purplemb
    purplemb Member Posts: 593
    edited June 2007
    ok its the weekend for me...
    Puppy...whoo hoo...hugs GF...
    ok off for the weekend...
    hugs to all...
    MB
  • newvickie
    edited June 2007
    ok...called the docs and they said the same thing about the rib pain but I goggled it and all the descriptions I find say that the pain starts at the breast bone. Mine is from my armpit down and my shoulder...all on the right side where I had radiation etc. Could it still be the costochondritis?
    Sorry...I know you're not doctors...just buggin me is all. Probably will wake up tomorrow and it will be my big toe or something!
  • Gus
    Gus Member Posts: 177
    edited June 2007
    Great news, Puppy!

Amy and Karen, I'm thinking positive thoughts and saying prayers for your fathers. Karen, I totally understand the "mother thing" too. In fact, the expression most often used in my house is "If it's not one thing...it's my mother!"

Gotta run to a PTO meeting. I used to be cool...what happened to me?

Hugs and love to all!!
    Sue
  • Biker54
    edited June 2007

Shirley, maybe you could get veneers on your teeth. One of our hygienists had really crooked teeth and my boss straightened them out with veneers. They look great! Just something to consider.

• susanmcm
    susanmcm Member Posts: 699
    edited June 2007
    yes vickie it can still be that big ole word costochondritis. I had mine around my ribs were i had rads. I think it's pretty common. Remember a few months back when I had to go see my onc and had my ribs xrayed. that's what it was.

puppy glad for your good news! Deese had an aneurysm. Send her or Carrie a pm.

Amy and Karen sorry for what your fathers are going through.

Amy tell Mazer how sorry I am. I hope I haven't ruined her for life. Mazer don't be mad. Your godmommy loves you soooo.
  • karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,604
    edited June 2007
    Hi CG's - one of my girlfriends sent this to me and I thought I would share it with all my wonderful sisters here. BTW - I finally got the nerve up to call my onc about the Tamox side effects. My stomach is bothering the heck out of me today. All I have eaten is string cheese, an apple and some bread - certainlly nothing hard on the stomach. I just about broke down in tears while I was leaving the message. Just don't know what to do. Hugs, Karen
    "MAYA ANGELOU'S"
    > BEST POEM EVER
    >
    > A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE ...
    >
    > enough money within her control to move out
    > and rent a place of her own,
    > even if she never wants to or needs to...
    >
    > A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE ...
    >
    > something perfect to wear if the employer,
    > or date of her dreams wants to see her in an
    > hour...
    >
    > > A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE ..
    >
    > a youth she's content to leave behind....
    >
    > > A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE ...
    >
    > a past juicy enough that she's looking forward to
    > retelling it in her old age....
    >
    >
    > > A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE .....
    >
    > a set of screwdrivers, a cordless drill, and a black
    > lace bra...
    >
    >
    > A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE ..
    >
    > one friend who always makes her laugh... and one who
    > lets her cry...
    >
    > > A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE ....
    >
    > a good piece of furniture not previously owned by
    > anyone else in her family...
    >
    >
    > eight matching plates, wine glasses with stems,
    > and a recipe for a meal,
    > that will make her guests feel honored...
    >
    >
    > a feeling of control over her destiny...
    >
    > > EVERY WOMAN SHOULD KNOW...
    >
    > how to fall in love without losing herself..
    >
    >
    > A EVERY WOMAN SHOULD KNOW...
    >
    > how to quit a job,
    > break up with a lover,
    > and confront a friend without;
    > ruining the friendship...
    >
    > EVERY WOMAN SHOULD KNOW...
    >
    > when to try harder... and WHEN TO WALK AWAY...
    >
    >
    >
    > that she can't change the length of her calves,
    > the width of her hips, or the nature of her
    > parents..
    >
    >
    > that her childhood may not have been perfect..but
    > it's over...
    >
    >
    > what she would and wouldn't do for love or more...
    >
    > how to live alone . even if she doesn't like it...
    >
    > EVERY WOMAN SHOULD KNOW..
    >
    > whom she can trust,
    > whom she can't,
    > and why she shouldn't take it personally...
    >
    >
    > where to go...
    > be it to her best friend's kitchen table...
    > or a charming inn in the woods...
    > when her soul needs soothing...
    >
    >
    > what she can and can't accomplish in a day...
    > a month...and a year...
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 2,728
    edited June 2007

This is what board withdrawal looks like. Im sitting here anxiously waiting. Popping in and out eveyr 5 minutes, then something gets in my way.

Nicki
  • RobinTN
    RobinTN Member Posts: 466
    edited June 2007
    hi all

Puppy:great news.I am so happy for you.

I typed a long post yesterday and was just about finished when noelle unplugged the pc ughhh..So she and i just went to town.

Has anyone heard from Z? whatever the matter is I sure hope she is ok.I am praying for her.

Well I will start with my most recent news and move back.
    I was supposed to go get my teeth pulled today,I thought it was 4 but then I remembered its 5 ouch...But anyway I talked to my onc yesterday and he said I should be off avastin for 4 w eeks before I have them pulled to decrease risk of infection.So i rescheduled until next thursday so another week of not smiling.
    I went to the RFA dr tuesday and he said no reason to do rfa on scar tissue.He did tell me if the ca should come back in my liver again which it wont that he will do rfa on as many areas as I have.He said it might have to be over several sugeries but he would do all he can to help save my life.

I dont know what is wrong with me either I have so much hate and anger in me needing to come out or I have been watching way to much king of the hill.I was in foodlion yesterday and this guy was behind me huffing and puffing the whole time then the machine didnt print out my mild vouchers so the lady was helping me and he says something ugly and I told him that he would get more help if he had a b etter attitude,and he said something smart dont even remember what it is but i told him to shut the f%$$# up or I was going to kick his ass.You could have heard a pin drop in that store.But he shut up.I just knew he was going to be waiting in the parking lot for me but he was gone.
    I just dont take crap like I used to.
    I told the cashier that they have to take crap like that because they work there but I dont have to take it.
    I am kinda proud for standing up,I still got it in me after all.But then after it was over I realized they probably saw my missing teeth and think I am a meth head..oh well..dont really care.

Now I have got to find a ps.I want to find one who will do implants so It might take me awhile.

Update on EVIL.I still have not told him I am ned,but I get the feeling he heard about it at his work as karen and jasmine both work there.he is trying to be nice and talk to me now,but it aint gonna work.to little to late.
    I watched a show about sex addiction last night and there is a name for people like me..we are cyber widows in fact they even have a websit which I am gonna check out.

Beth: I am sorry you are having so much trouble was gonna call today while every one is gone but will wait until you are feeling better.

Denise:Did i send you my phone number? this chemo brain is killing me.

Boy i cant wait until this chemo is out of my system.I am exausted today after going to knoxville on tuesday and just around town yesterday i feel like i have been working overtime.

I am also looking for an online college to start working on my bsn if anyone has any knowledge of one please pm me.I qualified for all kind of grants,so it would be stupid of me to waste anymore time not studying.
    I thought I had found the perfect one,the info they sent was wonderful,then I looked at the website and it was totally different.So I am looking again.
    Once I get my bsn then TTU has a Family nurse practioner program which I plan on attending.I cant wait.the doctor for which I was his case manager told me if i would go he would pay me this wonderful salary and set me up an office in crossville and help me get my DEA number.
    Boy I just cant wait to get my new life started.when I think about it or talk about i get butterflies in my stomach sort of like being in love.

Susan:speaking of Deese how is her cancer? Does she ever post anymore? If so where.I just love her and carrie.

Well baby crying gotta go.talk to you later my friends.
  • neesie
    neesie Member Posts: 1,110
    edited April 2008
    I'm with you Nicki!!!! Gonna read some of the back post and find my way back here!

Hugs,
    Denise
  • newvickie
    edited June 2007
    thank you Liz...looks like they are gonna make me get it checked tomorrow anyway...geez...I hate going to the doctors...bbl
    love ya all
  • RobinTN
    edited June 2007

vickie:be sure and get mazer to take you on the carpet.It always makes traveling better.

• k4katz
    k4katz Member Posts: 158
    edited June 2007
    Puppy, woo hoo! Doing the happy dance for you!

Thanks everyone, for your votes of confidence that the lump is just scar tissue! I already had an appointment with my surgeon set up for Monday and I am due for a breast MRI so I won't have to wait too long to get a medical opinion!

Sorry for the fly-by again but I am getting ready to go out the door...my music buddy and I are off to a coffeehouse to perform at an open mic night. Wish me luck!

*Hugs*
    Kristin
  • RobinTN
    edited June 2007

Kristin: Good luck tonite.Knock em dead!!