Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Dancing with the Stars

Options

Comments

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,031
    edited November 2018
    Options

After round one, I am honing my favorites down to Milo and Evanna.

edited to say hat Milo's freestyle knocked my socks off. Wow!!

edited after the show to say "hmmmmmmm"

• janett2014
    janett2014 Member Posts: 2,950
    edited November 2018
    Options

I was really pulling for Milo!

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,075
    edited November 2018
    Options

Wow. Worst DWTS winner ever. What a huge disappointment.

I never clicked with BB. I especially thought it was tactless and cocky that he tossed his stinky smelly shoe on the judges’ table asking them to sign it. His win dllutes the entire evening of dances. They didn’t even pick any runner up. Boo. Hiss. Shame on you DWTS. All I can figure is BB has some kind of damning evidence against a big ABC network executive and so they let BB win to keep him quiet. I’m usually happy when a professional who hasn’t won finally gets the mirrorball, but it falls flat for me that Sharna got it with him. Boo. Hiss.

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited November 2018
    Options

Like I said I totally missed the season but have watched last week and some on you tube and then last night. I honestly thought it was rigged, there is no way that he should have won, Milo was amazing and Evanna was so good, and I'm glad Keo finally got to go all the way through instead of getting the 1st or 2nd eliminated for so many seasons, I guess he's paid his dues and big props to him.

• janett2014
    janett2014 Member Posts: 2,950
    edited November 2018
    Options

I don’t think it was rigged by CBS. BB won because he has a huge following on the radio, and his fans made it happen.

Milo should have won. I might have to check out the DWTS Tour to see Milo and some of the others dance again.

• divinemrsm
    edited November 2018
    Options

Reading some Facebook comments on DWTS page, I didn’t read any in favor of the BB. The show is on ABC, and this is not the only win I believe was rigged. But in my opinion, this was the worst rigged one. ABC struck out.

• ruthbru
    edited November 2018
    Options

It really was an embarrassing ending.

• ruthbru
    edited March 2019
    Options

Interesting:

ABC Skips Spring Cycle After Controversial Season 27
    Bobby Bones will have to keep that Mirrorball trophy well-polished for a full year.
    Dancing With the Stars, which has long aired two seasons per calendar year, is skipping a Spring 2019 cycle, TVLine has confirmed.
    Though it's not yet clear what prompted the competition series to sit out a midseason run, Dancing is coming off a controversial 27th season. After multiple well-scored frontrunners were eliminated prematurely (including R&B singer Tinashe and Fuller House actor Juan Pablo Di Pace), the Mirrorball was ultimately awarded to country radio DJ — and very dark horse — Bobby Bones, who had scored much lower than his three fellow finalists.
    The finale results caused an uproar among DWTS viewers, prompting many fans (and us!) to call for a change to the show's voting structure.
    Dancing With the Stars is expected to return to ABC's lineup in Fall 2019.

• divinemrsm
    edited March 2019
    Options

Ruth, interesting you should post today about DWTS as I was just thinking about it yesterday for some reason. I knew they weren’t having a spring show this year, and the reason I heard was because ratings were low. Another reason is ABC wants to air some new shows and doesn’t have room for DWTS.

What popped into my head about DWTS was HOW FIXED last season was FROM THE GET-GO. And that’s because they intentionally paired Sharna with Bobby Bones. We all know the amazingly talented Sharna had made it to the finals many times, sooo close, and never won the mirrorball. Everyone was wanting to see her win. ABC knew they were gonna make BB the champion, so pairing the two together was a match made in....ABC’s executive office. That way, if DWTS never even made another season, they figured people would feel good that at least Sharna won a mirror ball. I will never think differently. BB, ABC, Disney & country music all have an incestual relationship among themselves, and it became glaringly apparent when he was declared last season’s winner.

• ruthbru
    edited March 2019
    Options

If it is as obviously rigged as last year, then I don't even care if it comes back. Which is probably how most fans feel.....and very sad!

• divinemrsm
    edited March 2019
    Options

Yes, seeng that it's rigged, why bother to vote if the winner is decided ahead of time? Why watch celebrities improve week after week if it means nothing because the champion has already been chosen by those who run the show?

• ruthbru
    edited August 2019
    Options

Just a heads up; the fall cast will be revealed on Wednesday......

• divinemrsm
    edited August 2019
    Options

Not sure I've forgiven them for the Bobby Bones debacle! I briefly saw him on a show a couple weeks ago and it irritated me!

• ruthbru
    edited August 2019
    Options

I know, I'm still mad about last spring too. I will give them this fall to redeem themselves (because I really do like the show)......

• ruthbru
    edited August 2019
    Options

Here's the cast........

• Lauren Alaina - Country singer and Season 10 runner-up on "American Idol"
    • Christie Brinkley - Former supermodel and actress
    • Ally Brooke - Pop singer and member of the girl group Fifth Harmony
    • Hannah Brown - The most recent star of "The Bachelorette"
    • Karamo Brown - Culture expert on the Netflix reality series "Queer Eye"
    • Kate Flannery - Actress and former star on "The Office"
    • Ray Lewis - NFL legend and sportscaster
    • Kel Mitchell - Actor and former Nickelodeon star who was one half of "Kenan and Kel"
    • Lamar Odom - Former NBA player, reality star and Khloe Kardashian's ex-husband
    • James Van Der Beek - Actor and former star of "Dawson's Creek"
    • Mary Wilson - Singer and former member of The Supremes
    • Sean Spicer-former Press Secretary of Donald Trump
  • divinemrsm
    edited August 2019
    Options

Hm. Well, we’ll see. I may sit out a few of the first episodes. Looks like a rough crowd.

• ruthbru
    edited August 2019
    Options

I'd like to see Christie Brinkley. I don't want to see Shawn Spicer. I'm pretty neutral about all the rest. Apparently no one knows who their partner is until the first show.

• divinemrsm
    edited August 2019
    Options

Haha! That’s interesting! I bet none of the women professionals want to draw the straw that gets them Shawn Spicer as their partner!

I like Christy Brinkley but oh my the plastic surgery! Lamar, well that will be interesting......

• divinemrsm
    edited September 2019
    Options

So tonight starts a new DWTS season. For a few weeks, I'm not going to tune in and there are several reasons why.

First is in protest to the Bobby Bones win last year. The whole damn thing was fixed from the start, and that still pisses me off. I read an article today that his professional, Sharna Burgess, will not be participating this season. Hm. Or, Hmph.

I also do not want to see Sean Spicer. I figure he will be one of the first to be voted off. I am not going to watch the first few weeks and suffer through all the bad dancing. Btw, Christie Brinkley is out due to injury and being replaced by her look alike daughter.

Another reason I'm not tuning in tonight is I'm watching the Ken Burns series, Country Music. Its 8 episodes, two hours each, and tonight is the second installment. Its a match made in heaven for me as I heart Ken and country music and its history.

The article I read says there are changes to the DWTS judging this season due to the BB debacle last year. We'll see how that pans out. As the season goes on, I will probably tune in. But these days, I'm judging the show more harshly.

• ruthbru
    edited September 2019
    Options

I'm on vacation so didn't have time watch. (And I'm watching Burns right now when I should be asleep!) I'll check it out, but also have a bad attitude going in.

• LoveFromPhilly
    LoveFromPhilly Member Posts: 1,019
    edited September 2019
    Options

I watched it!

Divine I am not a regular watcher of this show, but I have been a dancer for 20 years and I very much enjoy watching the dancing. The best part for me is seeing how interesting it is the way people’s body’s and minds pick up the different nuances of the dance. Everyone’s physical expression of music and dance is so unique. And as they progress each week their bodies loosen up and they start unlocking moves! Very beautiful to witness!

I don’t know what the scandal was since I dont follow the show closely. But I have to say tonight was very enjoyable and I got teary when Sailor Brinkley jumped in for her mom Christie, with 3 days left to learn and practice. Sailor is a natural!

I loved watching several others and it is so exciting and nerve wracking! Spicer is a total goofball dorky white dude, maybe this was his way of saying, “look World! I can take chances and am not afraid to [attempt to] make some sort of embarrassing comeback. Nevertheless, he tried.

• ruthbru
    edited September 2019
    Options

LoveromPhilly, I have been vacationing in your city! We fly home today. We love Philly too!

• divinemrsm
    edited September 2019
    Options

Philly, the transformation some celebrities go through during the season is very much a part of the DWTS magic. There are times when a certain perfect combination of dance tune, choreography, costuming, set design and chemistry between partners all comes together to give you goosebumps. Some of the choreography makes my jaw drop. Personal stories tug at the heartstrings of viewers. For me, perhaps the most memorable of these was Amy Purdy, a below-the-knee double-amputee who came in first runner up only to an Olympic gold-medal ice dance champion partnered with a professional fan-favorite. I cried every time Amy came on to the dance floor. And there've been so many other memorable moments on this show, which I've watched for 25 seasons.

I never had a problem with any winner until last year. It's too complicated to go into all the details, but there was a public outcry that the winner was fixed, so I'm far from alone in my grumblings. I had never felt like the show was fixed before, but I was seeng red flags and then sure enough, my intuition was right. So I won't watch for awhile out of protest,

All that said, I think DWTS is probably the most creative show ever. All the costumes are hand-sewn week to week. Breakout talent is exciting to see. Spontaneous moments can be incredible to witness on a live show.

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,937
    edited September 2019
    Options

i did watch it. There are always favorites, but last year was nuts.

Mostly the same early routine. No one really good, but some way better than others. Spicer is this years "shopping cart". You know, just being pushed around by the pro to look like hes dancing. LOL.

As to Christie B, and her daughter, the ondit is she didnt break it, but faked it so her daughter could get exposure. At least thats Wendy William's version of what she thinks happened.

BtW, Sailor did great for 3 days practice. The rest were just so so.

• ruthbru
    edited September 2019
    Options

I didn't get home until Mary Wilson was dancing......so......my impressions thus far are......

*the voting is weird this year, only people in the Eastern & Central Time zones can vote (and Central Time zone people have to rush to do so as the voting closes before they announce the losers). That doesn't seem very fair, although I like the fact that it is the judges, who actually know something about dancing, who picks which of the bottom two stays in.

*of the women I saw; I liked Hannah best, and also liked Kate who looked like she was having fun

* of the guys; I liked Karamo the best because he was actually dancing. Kel was alright too.

*won't comment on who was booted in case someone reading this hasn't finished watching, except to say that I thought there were worse dancers out there.

• divinemrsm
    edited September 2019
    Options

Moonflower, haha, love your “shopping cart" description!

I've never been a fan of Wendy Williams. Her type is the ghastliest kind of TV. She should be quiet about DWTS. Wasn't she once a contestant? She had her turn. DWTS could have easily picked both Christie and Sailor as contestants in a first “mother vs daughter" kind of thing. Christie didn't need to “fake forfeit" to give Sailor some crack at stardom.She could have said, I’ll sign on if you also sign Sailor. DWTS loves those kinds of competition match-ups.

Ruth, thanks for last night's run down! I'm still not watching, and I like your commentary so well, I may just tune in here for a few more weeks! I did peek to see who was voted off. In doing so, I saw all the scores and some were very low! Oh, how odd the voting sounds! We'll see how that plays out over the season.

• ruthbru
    edited September 2019
    Options

I think the judges are scoring more realistically. If everyone starts out with super-high scores, where do you go from there?

• ruthbru
    edited October 2019
    Options

I wasn't home last night so can make no comments. I'm taking a class this fall & can never start watching an episode until half way through. So....either I'll have to watch it later or just not watch. Maybe when it gets further in, I will be more enthused.

• divinemrsm
    edited October 2019
    Options

I'm still not watching. I think I will boycott another two weeks. I read that Ray Lewis with professional Cheryl Burke, dropped out due to foot injury so no elimination of anyone else.

I guess Lamar Odom scored lowest. Ally Brooke and Kate Flannery scored highest. I don't know either of them.

I also understand that this season, during elimination, the two couples who are in jeopardy are the ones who actually scored the lowest votes. In past seasons, one of the couples said to be in jeopardy may not have been that low on the votes, that it was done for dramatic effect. So the new system seems a little more honest.

I’m not missing the bad dancing,

• ruthbru
    edited October 2019
    Options

Yes, from what I've seen, they have tried to make it more fair.