Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Dancing with the Stars

Options

Comments

• GG27
    GG27 Member Posts: 1,308
    edited October 2019
    Options

well, I have been watching from the beginning and I still can’t believe how this new system is somehow fair? I won’t post any spoilers, but I cannot believe who has been eliminated and who is still there.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,074
    edited October 2019
    Options

GG, I haven’t watched yet, I may start next Monday. I do check every week to see who got eliminated. Sometimes I come across the scores, and yes, it seems like the worst dancer is still there. I’m thinking there might be a double elimination soon, since this thing usually wraps up the week of Thanksgiving and there are still I think 7 couples left.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,030
    edited October 2019
    Options

A friend of mine from California was always a huge fan. She hasn't been watching at all since they can't even vote. I have only been watching haphazardly. I am increasingly bugged by the unfairness of the voting system. Silly me, I would actually like to best dancers make it to the next round!

• divinemrsm
    edited November 2019
    Options

Mild spoiler alert.

I finally watched last night and am glad I skipped the first month and a half and all those bad dancers. My favorites last night were Kel Mitchell and Witney, Ally Brook and Sasha and James Van Der Beek and Emma. The dance offs at the end were a snooze fest, I’ve never liked them. The obvious worst dancer with lowest score was not voted off, looks like we have another Bristol Palin. I will give Sean Spicer credit, he remains pleasant despite unending criticism and low scoring of his dance moves, or rather, lack of dance moves.

Dh saw Spicer and asked, “who is that, some random guy from the audience?” because to him, Sean was complete blandness with less than zero star power.

• ruthbru
    edited November 2019
    Options

Agree with all of the above. I have always struggled with fans voting for favorites who are obviously not the best dancers...but it has always been part of the equation through out the years. I can't hate Sean either (even though I totally despise his ex-boss) as he mostly seems like a goofball just having fun.

• GG27
    edited November 2019
    Options

I can't believe last nights outcome, not that who was voted off shouldn't have been eventually, but Sean still there???? OMG, who is voting for him? I'm not saying that he isn't trying, he's taking all the judges criticisms in stride but isn't this supposed to be a dance competition? I'm afraid what he is doing is not dancing. I don't think the judges are not happy with the new system either.

• divinemrsm
    edited November 2019
    Options

GG, I think you're right, the judges are actually having to work for their pay this season and may not necessarily like it! As for who's voting for Spicer: Trump's base. The judges are going to have to score him 5s or lower to get him out f there. Since he was with Jenna not Lindsay this week, they took it easy on him, more so for Lindsay's sake, I think, so she could come back and compete one more week without feeling she let Spicer down even tho her absentee was legit. So they gave him benefit of doubt each judge scoring him a point higher than last week. How he never ends up in the bottom two which will be his death knoll when that happens just shows how intense Trump's base is.

The thing with Spicer is he’s not even moving enough to get an injury, and since his dance moves are minimalistic with no degree of difficulty, he doesn’t flub in the middle by forgetting them because there’s barely anything to remember. Pitiful.

• tb90
    tb90 Member Posts: 280
    edited November 2019
    Options

I peeked at this thread because I cannot even watch this show this season because of Spicer. How do you get over a man who faced the world each day and lied? I am not so serious about this show, but I love the dancing. I get popularity versus talent. This is not the olympics. But I am serious about integrity and respect. Spicer has neither.

• divinemrsm
    edited November 2019
    Options

Even the judges are upset. I saw them on Extra and Len said if Spicer wins, he'll run naked thru the grocery store. Apparently Trump tweeted support for Spicer. Carrie Anne and Bruno are worried the show will loose it credibility if Spicer wins, which it already lost some last year when they fixed it so Bobby Bones won. And why did DWTS pick Spicer for the show? I may have to stop watching already!

And I just read this: “social media is also filled with people boasting they are voting for him to anger liberals and critics, and urging others to do the same.“

• ruthbru
    edited November 2019
    Options

I think the BIG question is; why was he picked in the first place, and by whom?

• divinemrsm
    edited November 2019
    Options

Yes, Ruth, it’s disheartening that he was tapped to be a contestant in the first place. We can’t get a break from the polarizing political environment of our country when they make such choices. Even our entertainment has to be bathed in it. Very sad.

• ruthbru
    edited November 2019
    Options

I know Thomas Bergeron was publicly very upset when Spicer was chosen, so apparently the host of the show is not involved in the selection process.

Another thought that came to me is that by excluding the West Coast from voting, they have eliminated many, many Blue voters; who would have presumably booted Spicer by now.

Pretty sad when a show that's supposed to be about the beautify and expression of dance, is now a political statement.

• GG27
    edited November 2019
    Options

Thank you all for explaining to me that this was a political issue. I had to be talked into watching this show & came to enjoy it. Even last season we were disappointed in who actually won but decided to give it another try. I can't believe that DWTS has become a pawn in the political landscape.

I know that they have pretty much lost us as viewers. I think DWTS has jumped the shark so to speak.

• JCSLibrarian
    JCSLibrarian Member Posts: 548
    edited November 2019
    Options

I am so upset about the way the pleasure of watching DWTS has been taken from me by politics. I have been watching this show for years and describe it as my escapist television. There is so much on TV that is politically motivated. I really want to watch something that is just fun. Even when Rick Perry was on there was not the flavor of politics seen in the results. I did see the tweet from Trump asking his base to vote for Spicer. This is what I mean about the pleasure of watching being stolen. I have several Netflix shows I can watch instead. Sorry to see the show end this way

• divinemrsm
    edited November 2019
    Options

Librarian, yes, yes, yes to your entire post. That’s exactly how I feel. I have Netflix and am going to sign up for Hulu and there I’ll be too.

• ruthbru
    edited November 2019
    Options

View image on Twitter

9:34 AM - Aug 21, 2019

*I found this tweet Thomas Bergeron put out before the beginning of the season.

• ruthbru
    edited November 2019
    Options

Well, here I am watching DWS again tonight. As much as I like some of the dancers; if Sean Spicer makes it to the semi-finals, I am done for the season.....maybe forever!

• divinemrsm
    edited November 2019
    Options

BIG SPOILER ALERT

Yea, I watched, too! Thank goodness Spicer is gone! Look, the reason the judges scored him low wasn’t because of who he’s associated with; it’s that he was the worst dancer BY FAR. I read online comments from his voting base who alleged that the reason they kept giving him all their votes is because the judges were always so mean to him. Again, the judges say mean things to ANYONE who is a bad dancer! 28 seasons of it! And Spicer’s fan base didn’t realize by continuing to keep him in the game, they were responsible for him being subjected over and over to all that criticism.He could have gone out more gracefully had he left earlier, but now he exits to a big sigh of relief from true fans of the show who say, good riddance. Did his fan base really do Spicer any favors? No, they were actually kind of sadistically allowing him to flounder over and over again around much more talented and deserving to be there contestants.

• divinemrsm
    edited November 2019
    Options

Btw, in the grand scheme of things, no one dance really wowed me tonight. I hope we see some electrifying performances next week.

• ruthbru
    edited November 2019
    Options

Thank goodness. I suppose the field was narrowed down enough so that all the people who actually care about dancing could out-vote the weirdos. I actually thought the judges were as nice as possible to him; complimenting his attitude etc. (since they could not honestly say anything positive about his dancing abilities).

• JCSLibrarian
    edited November 2019
    Options

So glad Spicer is gone! I agree the judges did what they could to be nice. He was so far behind the others there was no way he could stay. I can now relax and watch the show for enjoyment purposes.

• Euphoriaa
    Euphoriaa Member Posts: 152
    edited November 2019
    Options

If you enjoy this program format, watch this dance called acquadance that happened in the argentine version in 2015. Amazing!

• GG27
    edited November 2019
    Options

I am thankful that finally the better dancers are the ones left. DH & I decided that if Spicer was in the semifinals that would be it for us. I too wasn't really overwhelming wowed by any of the performances, but hoping that next week will be.

• divinemrsm
    edited November 2019
    Options

I’m looking forward to tonight’s show. The semi-finalists know they have to step it up because the worst offender was voted off last week. I hope this means we see some “wow” performances.

May I just say, my husband does not look at a show like DWTS in any kind of political light. He isn’t one to discuss politics much at all in every day life. At the beginning of the season, when I explained I was boycotting the show for awhile in protest of Bobby Bone’s win last season, dh really didn’t get it. So the few times he saw Sean Spicer dance, dh couldn’t stand him, and it had nothing to do with politics. It’s because Spicer was bottom of the barrel!

• ruthbru
    edited November 2019
    Options

If Spicer were a great dancer, I would have glad to have him stay on; no matter how much I disagree with his politics. I just want to see the best dancers advance, that's all!

• ruthbru
    edited November 2019
    Options

A very lovely night. I would have been happy and sad both for any result.

• divinemrsm
    edited November 2019
    Options

SPOILER ALERT

It was an okay night of dancing. The night was not marred by incompetence. I thought the elimination was fair. James needs to be with his wife now.

I liked Erin's dress. Carrie Anne looked great. I would have preferred to see Lauren eliminated. Hannah was typical with her emotional histrionics, but her contemporary dance was her best of the season. I wish Kel would be more wow as I find his personality appealing, but his dancing still needs something. I do like Ally, but in her yellow zoot suit dance, I thought her movements needed to be bigger and more powerful.

• JCSLibrarian
    edited November 2019
    Options

I felt so bad for James when Carrie Anne chastised him for his posture. Then to find out about loosing the baby. So sad! No wonder he couldn’t stand up straight. I agree his dancing was not good, but feel terrible for the reason. How can you show joy when your heart is broken?

I get so tired of Hannah Brown and the crying. It’s like she wants sympathy all the time. I think the winner is still undecided at this point.

• ruthbru
    edited November 2019
    Options

I suppose I liked the evening so much because there was no one who obviously should not have been there! Yes, James was the right one to go. I nearly always like the romantic dances over the zoot suit ones, no matter how well they are done. I really like Kel's personality the best (I get tired Hannah's dramatics too). I also think that it's anyone's to win.

P.S. I did not like Erin's dress Loopy

• divinemrsm
    edited November 2019
    Options

Hannah’s emotional outbursts are due to her trying to fit into that teeny tiny, itty bitty perfectionist image of what society says a woman should be which is: perfect body. Perfect hair and clothes. Fake smile for miles. Never a mean thought, only happy, non stinky thoughts. Give no impression that she ever farts, pees, burps or wakes up with morning breath, to name a few earthy things a woman’s body actually does. Because men don’t want to see that real side. She is all about projecting an impossible image to live up to. She couldn’t even own her anger at Carrie Anne. Instead, she had to apologize profusely for having human emotions that she worries is detrimental to her image as a woman. No wonder she erupts all the time.