Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Lets conduct our own study on how we all got breast cancer

Options

Comments

• iodine
    iodine Member Posts: 869
    edited November 2007
    Options

OMG, I thought the other posts were funny but mke, you had me laughing so loud my cat jumped off the sofa and ran to the back of the house!!!

• ravdeb
    ravdeb Member Posts: 277
    edited November 2007
    Options

OMG! The TROLLS! YIKES! I have a troll collection to this day! I love my trolls. Please oh please think of another cause....

like those nasty teachers. FOR SURE! I hated my 6th grade teacher. He rubbed his greasy hands all over his head and thought he was so cool. And my grade school gym teacher was a pervert. Both of them for sure caused MY BC. No doubt about that!

But NO, NO, NO..NOT MY TROLLS!

• badboob67
    badboob67 Member Posts: 236
    edited November 2007
    Options

Has anyone though POLYESTER might be the culprit?

unnatural fibers=bad breast cells

Surely nothing good could come from wearing purple polyester elephant bells with a green polyester blouse.

Oh, and Randolph Mantooth from Emergency! must fit into the equation somewhere.... 

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 183
    edited November 2007
    Options

Sharon, LOL about the Lite Brite! But personally, I think it may have something to do with the lead in the Etch-a-Sketch...

• Paulette531
    Paulette531 Member Posts: 18
    edited November 2007
    Options

mke...that is hilarious! I love your dolls name, your description of the event and your mother is absolutels wonderful! Thank you for the laugh!

• gsg
    gsg Member Posts: 1,700
    edited November 2007
    Options

OMG...MKE...I am in hysterics and I REALLY needed a laugh.  I'm at work and showed my coworkers your post.  we're all cracking up.  THANK YOU!

• BethNY
    BethNY Member Posts: 74
    edited March 2008
    Options

mke i fell off my bed laughing hysterically.  that story is priceless.

• Unknown
    edited November 2007
    Options

As long as we're talking about nasty teachers, am I allowed to mention the nun that made be stand in front of the class (kindergarten) at the blackboard in punishment of showing off my Easter gloves to the other girls in my row at Mass?  That must count for something.

Tina

• my3girls
    my3girls Member Posts: 1,291
    edited November 2007
    Options

oh my gosh....troll dolls....I love them...all shapes and sizes!

It could have been my Chatty Cathy doll...I decided she needed a new hairdo..so I took baby powder, and gave her a "frost" job...maybe breathing in all the talcum powder did it!

Poppy....love the Johnny Depp pic!! My favorite!!

• my3girls
    my3girls Member Posts: 1,291
    edited November 2007
    Options

Mke...great story!!

Tina...I had said when this thread first started...that I wondered if it was all the Catholic guilt put upon us..haha. Now don't anyone take offense...I am catholic..mocking some of the old school rules...

• Not-Me
    Not-Me Member Posts: 50
    edited November 2007
    Options

Great remake Towanda  Loved the song.

Let me think.... 

-Too many McDonald meals while traveling...it was a cheap way to feed a family of 6.  Some days...we even ate there twice! 

-Fried Spam (with eggs or on buns for dinner).

-Too many bottles of Towne Club pop.   Add Tab to it. 

-Kool-aid for sure.

-Exposure to second hand smoke (sitting hours in confined space areas).

-Toys (and everything) made in China for sure.

-Microwaves...I remember my mom trying to cook everything in there...we had hockey puck type meat, burnt cookies, crunchy hotdogs, blown up eggs, etc. and of course all of that melted plastic wrap that was used to cover things. 

-Plastic everything...yep...worked in a plastic plant at the time that the orignal cancer was alleged to begin.  

-Whip cream cans...they make you talk so funny.

-Hair spray...perms (what were we thinking?)...and Sun In (wanted to be blonder too).

-Slo Gin...it can burn a hole in a counter top!

-Add Mad Dog and Boones Farm.

• jdash
    jdash Member Posts: 54
    edited November 2007
    Options

wow i hope you are not on to something- i would hate to think it had to do with all those recreational drugs and drinking i did while growing up and least i can remember back and say it was  sooo much fun

i like the barbie theory  its all her fault ! she was definetly jealous of us ! LETS BURN ALL OUR BARBIES  what do they call that - we can have a barbie excorcism

• sharebear
    sharebear Member Posts: 14
    edited November 2007
    Options

How about the fire retardent pajamas. They were scratchy and not very comfy but if you were in a fire they wouldn't melt to your body!

No...not my Slo Gin, Mad Dog or Boones Farm. What would I have drank behind the party store before the school dances. Not to mention one of my funniest stories about what Slo Gin and carrots can do to a gold shag carpet.....but that's another story!

Oh and by the way....How can you get excited about a BUCKEYE and why would you name your football team after a nut???????

GO BLUE!!!!!!!!!!

Sharon

• jdash
    edited November 2007
    Options

yea i remember those slo gins and mad dogs and our favorite was the screwdriver already mixed in the bottle

who knew about skin cancer either - we baked with baby oil and sun reflectors ! or else made our own with tin foil and an album cover

and smoking! both my parents were big smokers when i was growing up ! i wont let anyone smoke in this house!!!

and we didnt have spring water- just straight from the tap

who knows what causes cancer ?? i wish they could figure it out already

• mas056
    mas056 Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2007
    Options

Gosh I loved snowballs...everytime i would open one of those pink spongy confections chock full of preservatives...I would think: this thing has got to take 5 years off my life"...well, maybe just one boob....

• arby
    arby Member Posts: 27
    edited November 2007
    Options

Oh to go on a school field trip and get to pack hostess cupcakes or twinkies in my sack lunch!!!those were the days of innocence and no bathroom scales!!!! 

But honestly, I thought this was going to be serious research.  Like maybe sugar...I like candy and bake alot and to try to not use sugar is nearly impossible.  (any of you heard of Dr. Gott's diet; I can't do it)  But cancer cells love sugar I've read. I've a;lso ingested my fair share of aspartane.  Anyone else love Diet Pepsis?  Also I think shaving the armpits followed by antiperpirant use.  hmmm ....It can't be Barbies cause I never had one.  I don't smoke or drink or ever had Boone's farm apple wine though it was highly circulated at keggers at the lake when I was at WIU.  This thread has been good for laughs.  But is anyone else really bugged that $$$ is all going into CURE, not prevention.  You realize that means alot more breasts are sacrificed rather than saved?!  Is there a financial connection to curing rather than preventing?   Juice Plus isn't that expensive.  ( something new I just heard of via a home meeting)  what do you think?  arby

• arby
    arby Member Posts: 27
    edited November 2007
    Options

WHat a hoot!

• newter
    newter Member Posts: 2,670
    edited November 2007
    Options

I really love the teacher theory,  blame it on the teacher or the school.   Mine would have been my kindergarten teacher.  She was my least favorite teacher during my elementary years.  I bet she is still alive, maybe I can sue her for causing my BC.

• livesstrong
    livesstrong Member Posts: 207
    edited November 2007
    Options

Wait - I think I figured it out -

Sitting to close to the TV!!!! LOL.

Valerie

• BethNY
    BethNY Member Posts: 74
    edited March 2008
    Options

or standing in front of the refrigerator with the door open,

To the point that your mom yelled at you to close it...

• sharebear
    sharebear Member Posts: 14
    edited November 2007
    Options

It was my braces! You know the old school ones that were cemented on. The ones that wrapped all the way around your tooth. When you opened your mouth all you could see was metal for days and days!

Sharon

• badboob67
    edited November 2007
    Options

One thing I think we missed:

microwave popcorn

Wasn't there some kind of study out a while back that talked about the dangers of microwave popcorn?

Arby, I would be happy to participate in an informal study if you start another thread. Wouldn't it be interesting if our own informal study ended up showing some kind of trend?

Sharon, I had the same kind of braces but I think maybe it was the plastic thing they put in your mouth to hold it open while they worked on the braces. Wasn't it fun lying there, looking like a large-mouth bass? 

• dcrutche
    dcrutche Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2007
    Options

I love this thread, because how many times have I had all of these thoughts since dx!! I too played with Barbies, but never sucked on their arms. I think that shag carpeting contributed to my Cancer, as did going to too many concerts in the 80's and standing too close to the speakers. It could also be from eating Pop Rocks.

• SISKimberly
    SISKimberly Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2007
    Options

OK, so I'm a teacher, and it pains me to hear that teachers treated some of you ladies in such a horrible way...I certainly hope that your children had better experiences.

I love the additions since I last checked this post. Trolls, sniffing markers, eating glue or paste, Lite Bright, being too hygenic, not filling the paper towel or toilet paper roll, etc... Personally, filling the ice cube trays was not something I wanted to do for whatever reason-I love ice makers:-)

I think it's all about the 'not harmful to humans' chemicals in our food. Everything is processed and packaged, and that started in force in the late 50's early 60's right? Even Barbie and Ken had the dream house with a kitchen, but we all know Barbie didn't cook. She bought prepackaged and canned foods.

The original Swanson's TV Dinners, remember those? Wonder Bread that we could roll into a ball. Condensed Campbell's soup with preservatives and artificial flavorings, SPAM-who knows what was in that, canned fruits in high fructose corn syrup, and veggies in preservatives, all the packaged cereals to choose from with their artificial flavors and preservatives-loved Capt. Crunch, and all those lunch box sized treats-Ding Dongs, Ho-Hos, Twinkies, Snow Balls etc...

So, where does that leave us? BC is caused by Barbie, who is essentially made from chemicals, and there are chemicals in our food....hmmmm...Oh, I know.... it goes way back. Dinosaurs are to blame. They created the black sludge that became oil, that became so many other things like fertilizer, gasoline, and plastics.

Kimberly

• bluedahlia
    bluedahlia Member Posts: 302
    edited November 2007
    Options

I've been thinking long and hard and even though the barbie connection looks good, I really think I got my breast cancer from reading all those smutty books written in the 80's.  Couldn't get enough of them.  Who here hasn't read one of THOSE books?

• jdash
    edited November 2007
    Options

haha  you mean those love story books with all the passion sex in them ! i remember those

and yes i did grow up on tv dinners  white bread and i used to eat bottles of those cherries- that had that dangerous dye in them

• bluedahlia
    bluedahlia Member Posts: 302
    edited November 2007
    Options
    Yeah, them's the ones.  I linked to one in my previous post.  Wonder what would have happened if men had read 'em.CoolSealed  Either that or prostate cancer?  Gotta love the logic I tell ya!!!!
  • newter
    newter Member Posts: 2,670
    edited November 2007
    Options

Has anyone mentioned the RED M & M????

• Sandra1957
    Sandra1957 Member Posts: 1,064
    edited November 2007
    Options

My dolls and trolls shared the same space too.  Now I have Barbie boobs and a troll belly.  Hmmmm...!!

• badboob67
    edited November 2007
    Options

Newter,

I did mention the red M & Ms a page or two back. My cousin freaked when she caught me eating some and I went on eating and grinning. I ended up being dx'ed with mets from the start and the cousin is fine. Go figure....

What about those photo realistic t-shirts with Sean Cassidy and Lief Garrett on them? Has anyone looked into Tupperware? Food storage material that burps can't be good...