Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Lets conduct our own study on how we all got breast cancer

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 2,728
    edited November 2007
    Options

Oh Goodness.  I have narrowed it down.  It had to be the hot dogs I ate at the drive in movies.    Or maybe the popcorn smothered in butter.

Ha Gina - I ate paste too.  In fact I ate alot of things that were not supposed to be edible.

Lastly, maybe it was smelling the food before I ate it.  When I was a kid I wouldnt eat anything without smelling it first.  No good smell, would not eat it.  Guess you can tell I didnt have much broccholi when I was a kid.

Nicki

• Jellydonut
    Jellydonut Member Posts: 20
    edited November 2007
    Options

Ladies,

After long and serious rumination of this question, my conclusions are as follows:

As a teenager I was in love with the devilish vampire Barnabus Collins of Dark Shadows.  My addiction to Barnabus and the fog of Collinwood definitely is causation of my cancer along with bleaching my hair blonde (I wanted to be Angelique!) and eating way too many Mallo cups (to get the reward points of course...) Wink

Towanda:  copyright your song...you're a genius!

• Paulette531
    Paulette531 Member Posts: 18
    edited November 2007
    Options

I bet it was from wearing girdles...gut wrenching girdles!

• ravdeb
    ravdeb Member Posts: 277
    edited November 2007
    Options

Towanda.. your song is hysterical!

• BethNY
    BethNY Member Posts: 74
    edited March 2008
    Options

Um, did anyone ever think the reason we got cancer was because of the hokey pokey?

I mean, seriously.  What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about???

• gsg
    gsg Member Posts: 1,700
    edited November 2007
    Options

OMG, beth, i put my left boob in,  i put my left boob out and shook it all about and then it got cancer!

AND i do this a lot.  It's hard to stop.  gulp. 

• gsg
    edited November 2007
    Options

oh noooooooooo.  now i'm twirling my right one.

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited November 2007
    Options

Eating snow.

It had to be from catching those first snowflakes of the storm on my tongue or making snowcream. Everyone knows that those first flakes are coated with pollution and acid and god knows what that could mutate my DNA.

Hmm. Wouldn't have missed it for the world.

Anne

PS: Or was it those Pixie Sticks?

• honeygirl
    honeygirl Member Posts: 136
    edited November 2007
    Options

Hokey pokey!! I think your on to something. Although , I did alot of jump rope! There was a whole lot of bouncin' going on!

• BethNY
    BethNY Member Posts: 74
    edited March 2008
    Options

OR, my other theory is picking your nose.

Come on.  Admit you.  You know you've picked and flicked.

• snhb
    snhb Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2007
    Options

My theory is that I did not get to go to pre-K, and the fact that I'm right handed!!! lol

• Stack
    Stack Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2007
    Options

i think mine was caused by those long round handled goody combs i carried in my back  pocket of my jeans in the early 80's and my moon boots and earth shoes may also have had a part in it.

• rumoret
    rumoret Member Posts: 45
    edited November 2007
    Options

SASSE - "As a teenager I was in love with the devilish vampire Barnabus Collins of Dark Shadows."

I loved DARK SHADOWS....came on at 4:30 p.m. and it was the very best! I forget who was the character that was afraid of being buried alive and had a button put inside their coffin? I just had to LOL when I read your post!

Love,

Terry 

• hi5
    hi5 Member Posts: 125
    edited November 2007
    Options

Hmmm  :  breastless Barbie??? Must remember the scars to make her authentic!

Mine must have been caused by too many husbands and not enough lovers!

or.... like someone else on here mentioned about their mother's words...my mother told me that one day I would be hurt because of breaking boys' hearts?!

Noooooo  it's gotta be about the over=nurturing ( of everyone else and not myself)

or loving to eat the fat off the porkchops... 

• Valsul
    Valsul Member Posts: 7
    edited November 2007
    Options

When I first wore a mini-skirt in the 60s my dad said I would get a cold in my bottom from wearing nothing but a pelmet.  That's one reason I got bc - it wasn't a cold in my bottom at all!

And when I wouldn't eat cabbage, my mother told me one day i would be sorry I didn't eat the cabbage - and when I learned that lots of green and healthy things keep bc at bay, well, yes, I was sorry I hadn't eaten the cabbage when I got my dx.

I swallowed gum, loads of liquorice, sherbert dabs, and absolute truck loads of penny rubbish, loved Ovaltine, and lingered at gas stations to breath in the fumes.

Love this thread

Valerie S

• badboob67
    badboob67 Member Posts: 236
    edited November 2007
    Options

Nicki,

It just cracks me up that you were so finicky about food and how it had to smell good before you would eat it..........but YOU ATE PASTE!  LOLOLOL

I have one:

Red M & Ms  

I remember going to my cousin's house some time in the late 70s and opening up a bag of M & Ms. I was just about to put a red one in my mouth when my cousin screamed at me, "Don't you know, the red ones cause cancer!!"  Just to prove her wrong, I ate ALL the red ones first. I guess I had managed to get one of the last bags with any red ones because there were no more red M & Ms for several years.  I can just hear my cousin now, "I TOLD you so!" LOL

I also loved the smell of gasoline, bit and chewed my fingernails to the quick, loved the wax lips and soda bottles, played with Colorforms,ate snow, danced the Hokey Pokey, ate Twinkies, ate pixie sticks, carried a Goody comb in my back pocket, drank Kool-Aid, chewed Bazooka Joe bubblegum--which I SWALLOWED, ate candy cigarettes, used Dippity-Doo and Aquanet, watched tv, didn't practice piano enough, squeezed Elmer's glue onto my hand and let it dry so I could peel it off, watched The Tonight Show and Saturday Night Live when I was supposed to be sleeping, cussed, played jacks with a "Superball", wore Dittos jeans, used Love's Baby Soft by the gallon, washed my Toni Silkwaved hair with Gee, Your Hair Smells Terrific, ate Pringle's and Orville Redenbacher's Popcorn, ate Pop Rocks, Drank Pepsi, ate Fruit Roll-Ups, drank Tang, watched Kukla, Fran, and Ollie (Binney, you're not the only one!), used Berol #2 pencils and Pink Pearl erasers, and was one of the first children in the US to eat McDonald's Chicken McNuggets when they were being test marketed and were still called "Chicken and Chips". 

I did NOT, however, use any of my brothers' athletic cups to make a mod swivel-chair for one of my Barbies. I did, however, have one of the scary ginormous Quick Curl Barbie heads.  

• gsg
    edited November 2007
    Options
    i walked in on my parents having sex not once but twice.  :shudders: thinking about it now is enough to give me a recurrence.
  • Jellydonut
    Jellydonut Member Posts: 20
    edited November 2007
    Options

Terry,

After I posted I wondered how many women would remember, or ever saw Dark Shadows.  Glad you liked Barnabus too, he's still alive and well according to the webiste.  But his fangs are responsible for my cancer, lol.

Also, I was one of the girls who stuffed my bra with Kleenex.

GSG, yours is the funniest - walking in on your parents.  OMG, every teenagers nightmare.

• Harborwitch
    Harborwitch Member Posts: 4
    edited November 2007
    Options
    ROTFLMAO!!!  Oh sh@t!!!  I had one of those!  Chewed the was lips, the wax bottles, AND tar!  No Barbie dolls,  only chewed my nails sometimes,  drank ovaltine like mad,  did the  boy friend's name thing.  Perhaps the maybelline mascara that you had to wet the little brush to make it work???  Dippity Doo, yup - guilty as charged.  How about the organ music at the roller rink - that must be the cause of something!  Naughty could be it. . . I used to "borrow" dimes from the laundry money jar to buy Pixie stix, and I ran away from home once!  Maybe it was the nasty gluey stuff they painted on one lens of my glasses so that I couldn't see out of that side?
  • iodine
    iodine Member Posts: 869
    edited November 2007
    Options

AnneW, it isn't just the snowflakes, ----just make sure it wasn't yellow snow!!!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 2,728
    edited November 2007
    Options
    Bad:  But the paste smelled good!  Foot in mouth
  • riverinerabbit
    riverinerabbit Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2007
    Options

sorry, mines not at funny as all yours. I was on chlomide, fertility drugs. I couldn't fall pregnant, but found out much later, because of endometriosis.One of the causes of endometriosis is too much estrogen. Go figure. I had it coming from both sides, chlomide and endometriosis.

I never had a barbie, I was always so envious of the huge collection of barbie, Ken, clothes, houses etc.when we went to play with the daughter of the US Ambassador. One day, I'll get myself a barbie (old style one with a huge wardrobe of clothes.)

The founder of Barbie, had breast cancer, I have a prosthesis made by her company. dinkum true.

XoX

• mke
    mke Member Posts: 20
    edited November 2007
    Options

Well, if my copy of SPSS (Statistical Program for the Social Sciences) wasn't hopelessly obsolete, and my brain too, I'd hunt up those 5 inch floppy disks and analyze.  But alas, my brain, my disks, my boobs - everything is too floppy to definatively nail down the cause of our BC.

So far the leading contenders are Barbie dolls, red wax lips, and mosquito spray.  Nose picking and nail biting are suggestive, but a genetic predisposition has yet to be demonstated.  More research is needed.

• Sandra1957
    Sandra1957 Member Posts: 1,064
    edited November 2007
    Options

mke - LOL!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 183
    edited November 2007
    Options

Now, wait - I had lots of Barbies (along w/anatomically incorrect Ken and Growing-Up Skipper), but I never chewed any of their body parts or accessories. I did chew the wax lips, but never swallowed the wax (ouch!!). Lived in NYC as a kid, so I don't remember any mosquito trucks. I also didn't bite my nails and plede the fifth about nose picking - so I'm thinking the Hokey Pokey theory is pretty viable.

• sharebear
    sharebear Member Posts: 14
    edited November 2007
    Options

Those pink sponge rollers. The ones my mom use to use to give me those Shirley Temple banana curls. They were always too tight and I had to sleep in them and then the boys would pull the curls and watch them bounce.  I swore I would never do that to my kids....oh no.....I admit I did it to my girls it was cute.

The tube tops and the Dr. Scholl sandals. Oh and what jeans did brooke shiels advertise? Nothing comes between me and my Calvins? Or my Jordache that were so tight you had to lie on the bed to zip up.

Sharon

• chellebell66
    chellebell66 Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2007
    Options

Oh man, it's no wonder I ended up w/ it 2x!  I did ALL those things!! I wonder if it could be from licking all the Bonnie Bell Lip stuff off my lips.  I particularily like the Dr. Pepper!  lol

• Mizsissy
    Mizsissy Member Posts: 72
    edited November 2007
    Options

Well, I don't care what anybody says, but my cat walked over my breast in bed and pushed a hard paw (ouch!) right into where the tumor developed.  Ok, he didn't mean to.  But that's exactly where the tumor was.

Well he was 18 years old and very possessive and had lost a lot of sense, and when I was doing chemo he'd sit quietly close by every morning and look into my face to make sure I was breathing and OK and was really going to wake up.  Poor guy, he died in June.

And you know, one of our other cats just did it again to my other breast! 

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 344
    edited November 2007
    Options

Patrice!!  Did you HAVE to remind me!?  Sex and the parent thing.  One night I heard (now saw) my parents having sex.  I had to pee sooooo badly.  Of course I had to wait.  FINALLY!......

Shirley

• sahalie
    sahalie Member Posts: 1,145
    edited November 2007
    Options

Ok I think I figured out how I got mine.

When I was little, my blanket was my everything.  When I was five I thought if I climbed the sycamore tree out front and jumped with my blanket, it would gently fly me down to the ground.

I fell into the Pyracantha bush and it hurt like h*##.

I bet that's what did it.  Or maybe it was the pincher bug I ate in my neighbor's yard when I was two.  I kid you not, I remember it like it was yesterday.  

I still think it was the pyracantha bush.