Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Lets conduct our own study on how we all got breast cancer

Options

Comments

• gsg
    gsg Member Posts: 1,700
    edited November 2007
    Options
    it swiveled beautifully. i'm just sayin'.  lol.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 2,728
    edited November 2007
    Options

Parent born in Italy.  So Ive thought about it again.  Im thinking its all that pasta I ate for Sunday dinners.

Oh a screaming whenever I saw the Beatles!

Nicki

• SheriH
    SheriH Member Posts: 472
    edited November 2007
    Options

Nail biting, pink barbies, writing on my notebook in junior high would all work for me, but the real winner is getting hit in the boob.  I used to play raquet ball and one time got hit smack on the boob.  I told my friend that I would get bc.  I had always heard that bumping our breasts could cause it.

I like some of your reasons.  They are very entertaining.

• Towanda2
    Towanda2 Member Posts: 4
    edited November 2007
    Options

Sitting on a public toilet seat without putting paper down first. 

• my3girls
    my3girls Member Posts: 1,291
    edited November 2007
    Options

I have to agree with the nail biting...I was horrible when I was very young.  I think however it was the Catholic guilt put upon me! Remember Lisa..boys are bad, this is a sin..that is a sin..yadda, yadda...oh the stress!! haha!

I can also blame playing in the street after a heavy rain..who knows what was in that falling rain water??

• gsg
    edited November 2007
    Options

i say it's the mark eden bust developer. it's boob related, pink, and therefore obviously guilty.

we must, we must, we must improve our bust.

we will, we will, we'll give the boys a thrill.

• Paulette531
    Paulette531 Member Posts: 18
    edited November 2007
    Options

Chemosabi...You're right, it was the Beatles! I still have pics, books, puzzles, you name it, it is in my media room. John Lennon forever!

• livesstrong
    livesstrong Member Posts: 207
    edited November 2007
    Options

OMG - gsg - too funny!!

I say its the Coopertone suntan lotion my mother lathered on me at the Jersey shore.  Oh, wait a minute, thats probably skin cancer!!! Tongue out

Then I'd have to save the mosquito trucks spraying DDT all over the neighborhood.

But I really think its from all the tie dyed tshirts I wore back in the '60's. that I MADE myself!!! Cool

Valerie

• Towanda2
    Towanda2 Member Posts: 4
    edited November 2007
    Options

Thanks for the laughs, everyone!  This thread inspired me to write some new lyrics to Billy Joel's "We Didn't Start the Fire" :

Barbie dolls, French fries, microwaves, no exercise

Belly fat, wax lips and Dippity Doo

Underwire, overweight, must be something that we ate

Breast feeding, DES and HRT too

Birth control, DDT, sat too close to my TV

Had children early, late, or not at all

Bad luck, bad genes, didn't eat enough greens

Should've done the breast stroke instead of the crawl.

We didn't start the fire

Didn't cause our cancer, need to find the answer
    We didn't start the fire

And we pray the mystery will soon be history

Mammogram, biopsy, lump or mastectomy

Scared of chemotherapy and radiation burn

Oncotype, grade, stage, cancer at my age?

There is just so much I need to learn

Mojo, libido, where did my sex drive go

No hair anywhere - not even down there

Menopause, chemobrain, memory went down the drain

Thank god for cybersisters with whom to share

We didn't start the fire

Didn't cause our cancer, need to find the answer
    We didn't start the fire

And we pray the mystery will soon be history

• myrenewal
    myrenewal Member Posts: 19
    edited November 2007
    Options

Diana - I forgot about tube tops!  We were kinda smashing our boobs down, weren't we?

• iodine
    iodine Member Posts: 869
    edited November 2007
    Options

gsg, did you mean to have the pun : lay??? that theory to rest??

• sahalie
    sahalie Member Posts: 1,145
    edited November 2007
    Options

Don't you know it was the 'Aqua Net' hair spray our Mom's used to bomb their hair with each day.  I used to stand next to my Mom and breathe it all in.  Both my parents smoked.  So Aqua Net and second hand smoke.

I'll never forget the headaches I would get in the movie theaters on Saturday afternoons.  All of us locked in that place for the duration and everyone smoking.  

I too enjoyed the wax coke bottle candies and the wonderful candies we grew up with. 

TV dinners had to do something to our insides.  Who knows what they contained.

I still have issues of not ever having a Barbie.  I bet it was the stress. 

• gsg
    edited November 2007
    Options

dotti: 

why yezz; yezzz, i did.

• gsg
    edited November 2007
    Options
    towanda2:  great job on the rewrite! 
  • gsg
    edited November 2007
    Options
    LisaSDCA  gsg quoth:

"my dad's plastic athletic cup = swivel chair"

Okay - this one finally made me lose it!

You are such a hoot! I can't believe you were this crazy as a little girl too!Laughing

Lisa

crazy?  i dunno.  bad?  mehbe.  clumsy & accident prone?  definitely.

waaaaaaaaa 

I sat down in thistles.

• TenderIsOurMight
    TenderIsOurMight Member Posts: 55
    edited March 2008
    Options

My heart is heavy, I can not post today on the hows today.

Bimmer's Diane is reaching the end...

Another Angel, hopefully dressed in white, will soon be evolve.

I mourn for them and us all. I hate this disease.

Tender

• Caseysmom
    Caseysmom Member Posts: 70
    edited November 2007
    Options

I say maybe the fluoride treatments from the dentist. 

Laura

• honeygirl
    honeygirl Member Posts: 136
    edited November 2007
    Options

towanda2 , Great song!

• sharebear
    sharebear Member Posts: 14
    edited November 2007
    Options

My now ex-husband use to cut the boobs off his sister's barbies! That should have been a sign for me. I filed for divorce and was diagnosed 1 week later at age 32.

Wow that looks really funny in print!

Sharon

• ginger2345
    ginger2345 Member Posts: 4
    edited November 2007
    Options

Well, gsg, there's 2 of us who did the climbing out the bedroom window while grounded....must be valid.

I was a clarinet player in my youth and put plenty of cork grease on my clarinet. A lot of exposure there.

• beesie.is.out-of-office
    beesie.is.out-of-office Member Posts: 1,435
    edited November 2007
    Options

No, please, not Ovaltine!! Surprised  I been drinking Ovaltine forever. 

Sniffing the mimeograph machine, yup, that definitely could be it.  Not tube tops, at least not for me.  I never had enough to put in them - it would have been embarrassing to wear one. 

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 344
    edited November 2007
    Options

Going out in the mucky water after a big rain and catching tadpoles and walking through that awful water.  Oh, and "catching" crab and watching my aunt pour hot boiling (redundant) water over them...umm..ummm...good!  Oh, and walking all over the place barefoot...making sure I didn't step on a scorpion in the dry cracks in the Texas soil.  Having sex with only one man..so to all of you who thing that promiscuity caused bc...NOPE! 

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 183
    edited November 2007
    Options

OMG - The mark Eden Breast Developer!! My mom actually bought one of those things and kept it hidden in the linen closet! I recognized the buxom blond on the instruction manual! We used to use that sucker every night after my dad left for work/before my bedtime when I was about 12 or so. We both got breast cancer, too. Who the heck was Mark Eden anyway and why was he working so hard to make my pecs bigger?!?

Great re-write, btw, Towanda! Billy Joel'd be proud - unless listening to him and REO Speedwagon, Journey, Rick Springfield and all the other "easy listening" sounds from the early 80s are what caused our BC to begin with. I'm just sayin'...

• Poppy
    Poppy Member Posts: 9
    edited November 2007
    Options

This thread is too funny!

Silly putty: Guilty!

Writing Mrs. Txx Cxxxx on my notebook: Guilty!

Off!: Guilty!
    Barbies and Halloween candy: Guilty! Guilty!

Nailbiting: Guilty!

When I was a kid my dad would slap creosote on the log walls around our house. One day my Mom recalls walking outside and there I was (at about 8 years of age), painting creosote on the wall with no protection. She flipped the hell out on my dad and made me stop.

As soon as she got me cleaned up I went outside and rolled down the newly fertilized grassy hill in our front yard about 10 times. lol

I will try to think of some more :D
    Erica

• rumoret
    rumoret Member Posts: 45
    edited November 2007
    Options

Making mud bowels all over my grandmother's dirt driveway. Eating chocolate covered ants. Swollowing pennies.....OH YES.....I DID.....no reason other than to just do something different. Climbing and hanging out all day in my grandmother's walnut tree....carving in Make Love...Not War......1967.....peace symbols...and my initials. Sitting in the back seat with the window down on hot summer days in the Central San Joaquin Valley of California while my father pumped gas.......and liking the was the gas smelled. Or my dad being in the navy for 20 years and we living in navy housing and visiting him aboard his ship...who knows what he brought home.

Love,

Terry

• myrenewal
    myrenewal Member Posts: 19
    edited November 2007
    Options

I just remembered the home perms my Mom used to give me when I was little.  Remember those?  I think they were called Toni perms, and smelled just ghastly.  Had to be poison!! I'm surprised I wasn't bald then!

• honeygirl
    honeygirl Member Posts: 136
    edited November 2007
    Options

OMG! I was thinking of the home perms , and I thought , naw , my Mom was the only mom that cruel!!lol I remember , I was only 4 yrs. old , and mom wanted me and my 5 yr. old sis to have hair "just like Shirley Temple" that woulda' been great. But NO , we ended up with a frizzy mess! But , Shirley and I both had bc !?! Now I'm scarin' myselfSurprised

Hey , what about colorforms!? I loved playing with those things. Oh , I also drew peace signs everywhere. A peace sign inside a heart. That was my signature...Oh yea , I also loved the smell of gasoline. What was I missing in my diet!lol

• my3girls
    my3girls Member Posts: 1,291
    edited November 2007
    Options

omg...the smell of gasoline..yes, yes...loved that! I remember very young..loving the "taste"of playdo...maybe that was it! Could it have been going without a shirt on a hot summer day, when I was about 6 yrs old, just because my older brothers did it?? lol.....

• nosurrender
    nosurrender Member Posts: 737
    edited November 2007
    Options

Patrice, I haven't thought of that in a long time!

We must we must we must improve our bust

The bigger the better the tighter the sweater

The boys are depending on us.

My best friend Elena and I were religious with our bust exercises!

I have my barbie carrying case with all the little hangers and the outfits and all the barbies- well really only a couple of barbies and a lot of barbie wannabes- my mother was cheap!  But not a single SHOE. I chewed ALL my barbie's shoes to bits.

I chewed on pen caps.

I age paste.

I loved Pixie Sticks - the paper stick filled with dyed sugar

My mother gave us either Milk or Fresca as kids

I sucked my thumb and bit my nails

I loved the smell of gasoline too and was forced to sit in the exhaust seat of the station wagon with my sister- remember the back of station wagons had that rear window that rolled down and the seat that faced backwards? That is where my sister and I had to sit- breathing in the fumes and having to wave and smile to everyone that pulled up behind us at stop lights.

Oh the humanity... when I think of all the things we did to BRING THIS ON OURSELVES!!!!! 

• JoanofArdmore
    JoanofArdmore Member Posts: 19
    edited November 2007
    Options

Thanks, Patrice!This is a hilarious thread!!

I'm too old for Barbies and Dippity Doo.But I WAS there for the every summer mosquito trucks.

And there were wax lips even back in the day, and little wax soda bottles w/colored water.The water wasnt too good, but the wax lips were DELICIOUS!!!

And do you know, when I was a kid, TV was just invented.You werent allowed to sit too close to the set.

Now I know why?

And of course TV DINNERS were invented.Hmmmm.Not a lot of chemicals in those days.But all that aluminum?

Making out in the back seat of cars in the 50s.How about  all that making out at drive-in movies?Drug store hamburgers.Rock N' Roll shows at the Paramount! We might never discover which element it was.Or maybe all?

And me, I sure did write Mrs L R, Joan and L R, Mr & Mrs L R all over my notebooks and even on notes  taken at boring classes.It was SO romantic!

I think it was THAT!

If not--maybe smoking from age 14 to 52.

Maybe taking HRT from age 50 to dx at 62.

Or maybe smoking AND taking HRT at once?

And my favorite way to cook (unorganic) hamburgers was to put them on a high fire on the BBQ, let the fat drip and ignite flames from the coals, char the outsides and leave the insides very rare.Quick , delicious, and oh, so carcenogenic!And smoking Kent Golden Lights continuously as I cooked.

Broccoli was something I never ate.Fortunately my mom was a green bean fan--broccoli smelled up the house.As an adult, I was like Bush the father.A brocolli-hater.

Real "healthy " liestyle?Hmmmmm.Can we isolate the cause?

Thanks, Patrice.I'm sure there were lots of other causes, but I cant seem to...remember.Wink