Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Lets conduct our own study on how we all got breast cancer

Options

Comments

• SISKimberly
    SISKimberly Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2007
    Options

OMG, you guys are cracking me up!!!! I'm new, like today, to this site, and I'm loving this thread.

OK, I'm 46. I am an identical twin.

I'm thinking that I was doubly exposed to Barbie cancer;afterall, I played with my sister's Barbie, too. Does Ken count? We both had Ken and he already had a flat chest and no hair.

I also ate those wax lips and bottles of sugar-goo. I had a Easy Bake oven, which I'm sure caused numerous issues, since I couldn't wait for most of the items to cook thoroughly (that doesn't look like it is spelled correctly). Jello...man, I ate a lot of jello in many forms.

I know I was lathered with See and Ski suntan lotion as a kid living in Santa Cruz.

I didn't ski when we moved to Tahoe-could lack of taking up the regional sport cause cancer?

Of course, as a teen I snuck out of the house, and I practiced writing my name with my current boyfriend's last name- how many times makes it an obsession- and if you have a different boyfriend every few months or so due to boredom with immature boys, does that magnify the affects?

Drinking milk, with or without Nestles Chocolate Mix, is something we all did-or at least I did until I realized I was allergic. Hmmm, all those Happy California Cows are going to hear from me.

I'm thinking we've got the makings of a great study. Thanks for this thread.

Kimberly

• Jellydonut
    Jellydonut Member Posts: 20
    edited November 2007
    Options

GSG,

This research IS scientific.  I think you should apply and be given a research grant.  Heck, somebody paid for the "short, breastfed, etc." that didn't tell us anything.  Your research is actually useful: Wink

Aqua Net; Wax Lips; Hanky Panky; Paste; Cat Walking on breast; and too many more to name.  LOL

The paid researchers never thought of these causes (and no offense meant to those hard working people).  Wink

• gracejon
    gracejon Member Posts: 13
    edited November 2007
    Options

I think the Barbie doll has something to do with my breast cancer.  I thought Barbie needed nipples so I poked her pearl stud earrings into the top point of her breasts on each side to construct her nipples.  I think that it made her my own personal voodoo Barbie and doomed me to breast disease and failed reconstruction.  Perhaps it was a message for me to become a plastic surgeon and continue to create nipples where none existed.  Too bad I did not heed the call.  The voodoo Barbie worked particularly effective for myself and I am sure was my doom to the breast cancer.  I just remembered the "Shrinky Dinks" I made.  Suppose that had a role in my shrinky dink boobs?

• sahalie
    sahalie Member Posts: 1,145
    edited November 2007
    Options

THE CULPRIT

• 2up
    2up Member Posts: 944
    edited November 2007
    Options

am i the only one who sniffed "magic markers"? lol!

• JoanofArdmore
    JoanofArdmore Member Posts: 19
    edited November 2007
    Options

Shel, I still do!Mmmmmmmm!

• TenderIsOurMight
    TenderIsOurMight Member Posts: 55
    edited March 2008
    Options

Well, after a short leave of absence, allowing greater reflection on this momentous, important thread, I have come to the conclusion how we all got breast cancer was indeed from...Barbie.

Yep, her svelte body, her big nipple-less perfectly symmetric, and ever perky breasts, coupled with gentle curved hips, flat stomach, and perfectly coifed hair, well she just was too perfect.

And so, all we other little girls emulated her, bought her, stroked her,pierced her body parts, pulled out her hair, drew on her breasts ( a precursor to "take this side" surgery), and finally, decapitated her or de-limbed her, destroying her perfectness, and in so doing, planting the beginning of a bad seed in our....for doing so.

And if that didn't work, we started her having sex with Ken, and then realized of course, she needed to take the pill. And since it worked with Barbie and Ken, well, then we started to take the pill too. And by and large it worked for us, and we all enjoyed ourselves,not figuring hormones might be bad, and not having our own wee ones at a young age, as we (sometimes) stressed along in our work proving we were able to do it all, until many years older, many exposures later, viola, we got BC. And we knew the beast was for destroying the perfect Barbie: a great sexual creature bound to make us fertile at young age.

To this day, Barbie has avoided breast cancer, defying the 1 in 8 odds, forever showing her perky, symmetric breasts, flat waist, slim hips, and golden locks, well we know for a fact she never had a lumpectomy or mastectomy or lost that hair, or put weight on her middle, and shuffled around in response to an aromatase inhibitor talking randomly to her self, or driving Ken around in circles.

So, I'm back, but as far as I can tell, the weight of the evidence does indeed fall on...Barbie. As for Ken, well, he needs to go in for prostate testing.

Tender

• BethNY
    BethNY Member Posts: 74
    edited March 2008
    Options

lets not forget the maker of barbie got breast cancer, and invented one of the most widely used prosthetics still to this day.

I think I've figured it out.

I got BC because I often finished the toilet paper, and didn't put a new roll on for the next person.

• Emelee26
    Emelee26 Member Posts: 98
    edited November 2007
    Options

hehe Beth..in that case, my husband is screwed..oh and my cat also..he seems to think he needs to unroll the toilet paper each time he uses the litter..I have to take out a loan just to cover the tp costs..

• 2up
    2up Member Posts: 944
    edited November 2007
    Options

oh beth, please don't say that!

my daughter is the queen of not replacing toilet paper rolls!

her girlfriends come upstairs to use 'my' bathrooms because mackenzie's bathroom is always "dry" of TP lol!

i am a hoarder .......... there are 500 rolls of TP in every vanity cupboard and linen closet ............. yet the 'child' cannot reach into the vanity next to the toilet to replace it.  this is largely in part the reason she has a bathroom all to herself lol!  no wonder she has so much time for straight A'S, student council and a bazillion activities ........... mom is her keeper!!!!!

UH OH!!!!!!!!  ........... that's it!  i'm a hoarder .......... forget the magic markers, i'm an obsessive compulsive hoarder of household 'crap' that is on sale lol!  not to mention a crazed clothes, shoe and jacket  freak!

• Stack
    Stack Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2007
    Options

oh yes, the parent and sex thingy, ewwwww!! who knew they still did that! uck. of course now that im there i dont think its ucky. what awful memory that is. lol.

• JapanLynn
    JapanLynn Member Posts: 211
    edited November 2007
    Options

I forgot about the home perms...Lilt and Toni...I can smell the odor as I sit here.  That's got to be the cause of my BC.  Also, pin curls (anyone old enough to remember those?) and sleeping in hot rollers.  In HS I'd put my long, straight, stringy hair in a ponytail on top of my head, and make a nest of hot rollers right on top.  For about 2 minutes in the morning, my hair would have a little body...then out into the Florida humidity and make it limp again.

While gas fumes are nice, I used to like a little diesel smell once in a while, as a change of pace.

This thread is hysterical!!

Lynn

• BethNY
    edited March 2008
    Options

Just a quick aside about smelling magic markers...

When I was in retail I took over a new store, and in the drawer there was a ton of magic markers.  Most of which were the smelly kind.  They smelled so good- blueberry, banana, cherry, all fruity smells.  My assistant managers and myself would crack up when we made signs or schedules b/c everyone thought we were crazy for smelling the markers all day long.

Then one day, I found a pack of different markers, eagerly I tore them open.  I couldn't wait to smell them (I swear I'm not crazy) thinking they would smell as delcious as the other markers.

Needless to say I almost died when I smelled them.  It was a combination of smelly, sweaty feet, and old cheese.  No, it was worse than that.

My assistants were a fun group, and we all liked to play practical jokes on eachother-- they used to hide in my stock room and jump out and scare the life out of me, so I knew this was my chance to get them back.

I told them all I found new markers that smelled even better than the fruity ones, and they had to smell them.  Of course, they totally bought it, and were all smiles until they took a big wiff of the stinky markers.  I only wish I could've video taped the event.  One minute bubbly cute smiles, and the next they were practically gagging on the foul smelling markers. 

So if the sniffing markers theory is correct, clearly Karma was getting me back for my practical joke.

• Unknown
    edited November 2007
    Options

Well, forget the Barbie theory, ladies.  I never had one as I was a Ginny doll girl, before Barbie days. 

I, personally, think it was because we bathed too much.  At least every Saturday night!  Then, the daily showers as teenagers!!! Ever notice how our grandmothers' (or great-grandmothers') generation didn't get so much bc?  Those old country ladies weren't so into daily ablutions.  Must have some connection.

Tina

• lv2cmp
    lv2cmp Member Posts: 899
    edited November 2007
    Options

Oh my goodness you ladies are too much.  I needed these laughs today. 

It cant be barbies because I never played with them but I did eat Elmers glue and put it on my hands and peel it off.  I smelled magic markers and I ate chap stick.  I have 3 sisters and they had to do the same thing but none of them have breast cancer so what did I do that was different?  hmmmmm.

Amy

• livesstrong
    livesstrong Member Posts: 207
    edited November 2007
    Options

OMG, I totally forgot about the home perms.  My aunt gave me tons of them - God, I hated them.

How about Dippty - do??  You can't tell me that was any good for us!!

How about chalk???  Remember using the erasers at school and all the dust???

How about the lead in the tinsel on our Christmas trees????

Its endless.....................LOL

Valerie

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 2,728
    edited November 2007
    Options

OMG!  I used to be teachers pet.  Always cleaned the blackboards and stomped those erasers together to get rid of all that chalk. 

60's girl here, so Im thinking maybe all the insense too.

Nicki

• honeygirl
    honeygirl Member Posts: 136
    edited November 2007
    Options

Question , gasoline doesn't smell the same to me. Is it age or unleaded? BUT , I still love the markers!!! Great story Beth.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 4,011
    edited November 2007
    Options

I am convinced I got bc from aerosol air freshener...after our house was built, every time we had company over, I sprayed air freshener. It's sad...everytime I sprayed it, my pooch would run under the bed for cover. Hmmmm...it's possible that had I followed him, I would not have gotten this dreadful disease! He's a smarty...perhaps a lot smarter than me!

• Poppy
    Poppy Member Posts: 9
    edited November 2007
    Options

Beth you are SO beautiful!!

So many have mentioned childhood crushes that I wonder if there wasn't something hormonal going on with us. When I was still in single digits I was in loooooove with Robert Conrad (Wild Wild West), one of the guys on Emergency! and both Hardy boys. I didn't know diddly about sex but I knew I wanted them!!

Also:

green slime

Easy Bake Oven cakes

Baby Alive (yes I tasted the "food"!)

but I really think that homework gave me BC. :D

Hugs

Erica

• hooptiedoo
    hooptiedoo Member Posts: 10
    edited November 2007
    Options

My kindergarten teacher gave me breast cancer. She never liked me (I could tell because she always smiled at all the other little girls and boys but never at me) and she made me stay inside at recess until I'd finished my milk.

I HATED milk and it took forever to choke it down and then it made me sick. Today, a child would be recognized as being lactose intolerant, but back then milk was good for EVERY child. Just the way eggs and bacon for breakfast every morning was considered healthy.

This would have been about the time of the A bomb and H bomb tests, so that milk was undoubtedly full of Strontium 90. So my kindergarten teacher made me drink my milk and it's HER fault that I had BC!

• hooptiedoo
    hooptiedoo Member Posts: 10
    edited November 2007
    Options

Seriously, ladies, thanks for the memories!

• IllinoisNancy
    IllinoisNancy Member Posts: 99
    edited November 2007
    Options

I think I got BC from sniffing all my Troll Dolls and trying to style my hair like them.   

• BethNY
    edited March 2008
    Options

omg I totally love the teacher theory. 

4th grade. Mrs Isaac's gave me BC.

She dumped my desk on top of me b/c I was disorganized in front of the entire class.  And after I read a bookreport, she asked my peers what they thought she should give me for a grade.

I think she thought i was a popular stuck up little girl, and she was teaching me a lesson, but the dumb witch was oblivious to the fact that my parents were the only ones in our town getting a divorce, and I was acting out because of it.

If teachers cause cancer, she was definitely it for me.

• CurlyKatFL
    CurlyKatFL Member Posts: 7
    edited November 2007
    Options

I am pretty sure I got breast cancer from quarter beer night in college. Which college student could pass up beer for 25 cents. It was a conspiracy. There are so many lost hours and lost quarters. Yep that gave me bc.

• sharebear
    sharebear Member Posts: 14
    edited November 2007
    Options

Too much radiation from my lite brite!

Sharon

• sahalie
    sahalie Member Posts: 1,145
    edited November 2007
    Options

IllinoisNancySmile Your post is priceless.  Troll doll sniffing and styling your hair like theirs.  I'm laffing my socks off.  Thanks for that giggle.

I still have two little St. Patty's Day troll dolls with green hair.

• AlaskaDeb
    AlaskaDeb Member Posts: 1,159
    edited November 2007
    Options

Oooooo...the TROLL doll conspiracy!!  I'm in...that MUST be it.  As proof, I offer the fact that I looked just like a troll doll when my hair was falling out, and then again when it was coming back in!!  Yep...it was the troll doll...definitely!      

And ya know...I kept my troll dolls and Barbie dolls on the same shelf...I'm just saying......

Deb C

• DoreenF
    DoreenF Member Posts: 59
    edited November 2007
    Options

I had trolls too... and I'd guess that I played with them just as much as my barbies ...   hmm....  I don't think mine lived on a shelf though ... I think they actually shared the same box ...     hmm.....  that's gotta be a clue!!!

Doreen  

• mke
    mke Member Posts: 20
    edited November 2007
    Options

Well I think it must be dolls.  Not Barbies or trolls necessarily, but dolls.  I didn't have either of them, but I did have a doll when I was about 5.  I named it sonofabitch, I thought it had a ring to it.  My mother thought differently. 

The doll didn't last long anyway, it was a peeing doll and I took a knife to it to see how it worked.  I did grow up to teach anatomy rather than become a mass murderer, which must have be a relief to my mother.