Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,533
    edited June 2012

Kaara.....I chuckled so much with what you said about the couple's counseling.  Men seem to be like that so many times.  Either not doing anything......or always picking the worst time when they do.................and the intentions are always good. 

Still have had no rain here but high temps.  The saving grace is that their has been a fairly strong breeze all throughout the day so it saves us from burning up.....that and the fact that it is not really humid till after the rain.  I'm still amazed though at how dry the lawns are......if your're just looking at the lawns you'd think it was mid to late August.  Starting to wonder how the crops will fare.

Anyway....long day for me.  I'm going to go find my recliner and claim it from the dogs.

See you in the morning.

Hugs, Jackie

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,110
    edited June 2012

The short haircut is...short!  It shouldn't take more than 3 or 4 min. to blowdry.  And I may give the "wash and go" technique a try.

Had my car washed afterward, picked up Popeye's chicken dinners and took them to my mother's house, where we had a fattening lunch together.

On my way home, stopped and had a pedicure and manicure. The manicure is a waste since the polish doesn't hold up, but the pedicure lasts for weeks.  Guess I don't wash dishes with my feet?

Another busy day ahead.  Will be glad to climb into the passenger seat on Fri. morning and take off. 

• illinoislady
    edited June 2012

An optimist is the human personification of spring. ~Susan J. Bissonette

• illinoislady
    edited June 2012

Carole:  I'm all for the short haircuts.  Perms don't stay in my hair for longer than a week lately, but do have a lot of body so it is ok.  I like only having to spend about 5 mins. on my hair.  It is about time for me to go "get something done with it again.

Your Mom sounds like she is pretty much back to holding her own.   -- and fattening chicken dinners  are a good way to appreciate your choices.  A nice treat to look forward too when you are "good" most of the time.  I'll never forget the gal ( many yrs. ago now ) in basic training with me.  Her family never cooked any other way -- any time, but over an open fire.  She finally had to be discharged because her system could not 'tolerate' food cooked on a normal gas stove.  Everything ( available at that time ) was tried.  I guess back then is when I learned that variety is the spice of life and ALWAYS being good and doing things one way --- even healthful as it may be, can be hard on your system.  So we need some no's no's from time to time just to keep our systems flexible and adaptable. 

Friday will get here fast.  I'm having trouble believing it is Wednesday already.  Oh well.  Guess it's ok.

Hope you all have a fantastic day.

Hugs, Jackie

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited June 2012

Hey gals!  Yes!  Popeye's!  I hope you got the beans and rice too!  I LOVE their bisquits and fried chicken....  !!!

1 * Accept the fact that
    some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue! 

2 * Always keep your words
    soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them. 

3 * Always read stuff that
    will make you look good if you die in the middle of it. 

4 * Drive carefully...
    It's not only cars that can be recalled by their Maker. 

5 * If you can't be kind,
    at least have the decency to be vague. 

6 * If you lend someone
    $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

7 * It may be that your
    sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others. 

8 * Never buy a car you
    can't push. 

9 * Never put both feet in
    your mouth at the same time, because then you won't have a leg to stand on. 

10 * Nobody cares if you
    can't dance well. Just get up and dance. 

11 * Since it's the early
    worm that gets eaten by the bird, sleep late. 

12 * The second mouse gets
    the cheese. 

13 * When everything's
    coming your way, you're in the wrong lane. 

14 * Birthdays are good
    for you. The more you have, the longer you live. 

16 * Some mistakes are too
    much fun to make only once. 

17 * We could learn a lot
    from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird
    names and all are different colors, but they all have to live in the same box 

18 * A truly happy person
    is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour. 

19 * Have an awesome day
    and know that someone has thought about you today. 

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY 

20 *Save the earth.....
    It's the only planet with chocolate !*

Okay.... Still on the plumber quest! This isn't any fun. One more to call, probably Monday!  The last one was significantly cheaper, but didn't didn't do the jack-hammer work that has to be done, so I thought "What the hell?" So although his price was cheap, the extra work finding a jack-hammer-er would not be worth it.

Stay tuned.... I haven't lost my mind yet, but I'm running on empty....Undecided

• Kaara
    Kaara Member Posts: 2,101
    edited June 2012

Chevy:  Nice thoughts...words to live by!

Carole:  I  got a short haircut too...I felt like about a pound of hair went off my head!  I discovered a new manicure...it's called gellish...they put a coating over the polish and bake it under a UV light and it stays for three weeks just like a pedicure.  The only problem is that you must go back to the salon to have the polish soaked off...it can't be done at home.  Job security for the nail technicians.  I always had that problem with my nails before discovering this technique.  Some places call it shellac.  Have fun on your trip. 

• illinoislady
    edited June 2012

Evening....missed you all this afternoon.  Some time shortly after 9 a.m. this morning we lost our cable service and just got it back.  I liked the one Chevy that said maybe my sole purpose in life was to act as a warning to others. 

It's nice to be back with all of you.

Hugs, Jackie

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,110
    edited June 2012

Kaara, you should have seen the pile of hair on the floor after my short cut!  I have very thick hair.  It's good to be short-haired again although the longer cut probably is more becoming.  To heck with becoming!

Today is a week since my mother's fall and she still is far from completely recovered.  I'm going to take her to get her hair cut and set today.  We'll manage somehow to get her into the beauty shop and back into the car.  I know it's going to be depressing for her when I leave my car at her house but I hope the knowledge that she has her familiar transportation will help.  She usually goes into a "funk" when I leave for the summer.

DH and I will eat out tonight.  My youngest sister and her DH will join us.  We have a gift certificate for Outback Steakhouse. 

Time for me to go and get soaking wet with perspiration walking on the street.  It's amazing how much better I feel when I get in a good walk.  Recently I wasn't walking because of being so busy and my body really stiffened up.  Use or lose!

Have a good Thursday.

• Kaara
    edited June 2012

Morning ladies!  I must have a death wish because I agreed to go out and play nine holes again today with my BF;)  Hopefully my game will be better, but if not, I am adopting the same philosophy as I did with my bc..."It is what it is".  My new mantra to his criticism will be "you're right".  He can't argue with that.  I plan to enjoy my game and the good shots that I make...lol!

• illinoislady
    edited June 2012

"Build this day on a foundation of pleasant thoughts. Never fret at any imperfections that you fear may impede your progress. Remind yourself, as often as necessary, that you are a creature of God and have the power to achieve any dream by lifting up your thoughts. You can fly when you decide that you can. Never consider yourself defeated again. Let the vision in your heart be in your life's blueprint. Smile!"

-Og Mandino

• Kaara
    edited June 2012

Jackie:  You always come through with a good insightful quote when I need it...thanks!

• illinoislady
    edited June 2012

Kaara:  You are too funny -- but at the same time, you have chosen te perfect cme-back which doesn't need another word added..........no deep explanations --- drop that dime on bf and its all over.  I long for the days when everything was ( almost anyway ) nearly perfect in my life.    No squabbling -- no huge differences of opinion --- a willingness to allow everyone to say what they wanted because we all understood that accepting more verbally didn't make you lose more of you......it actually kept you on an even keel.  I wan't making anyone wrong..and they in turn weren't doing it to me either.  Not sure where and when this all goes wrong......but you might have the perfect way to get it going back in the better direction.

Walking is one of the most perfect exercises.  I'm just about ready ( especially with this heat ) to go to our local Rec Center and buy a walking pass for $12.00 a month.  Not sure how many steps we are supposed to take per day......to burn calories and boost metabolism.......but I know I don't come close.  Also, as I have been ( for quite a while now ) a personal sitter for a woman.........I have slowed to her pace more or less and that is so bad.  She is 86 and I am 66........so it is very wrong for me, but at least I realized that I was being her in this department so have to put in whatever it takes to get back to being 60 or so.  It is not ok for me anymore and I'm going to fix that............so back to that walking pass.  Especially in this heat. 

Chevy....I keep on wishing and hoping for good luck for you on the plumbing issues.  These things are never fun but it is a joy to own your own home ---- and will be again when you figure how what you need to do and find the right person for the job.

I'll see you all after work.

Hugs, Jackie

• illinoislady
    edited June 2012

Kaara:  You are too funny -- but at the same time, you have chosen te perfect cme-back which doesn't need another word added..........no deep explanations --- drop that dime on bf and its all over.  I long for the days when everything was ( almost anyway ) nearly perfect in my life.    No squabbling -- no huge differences of opinion --- a willingness to allow everyone to say what they wanted because we all understood that accepting more verbally didn't make you lose more of you......it actually kept you on an even keel.  I wan't making anyone wrong..and they in turn weren't doing it to me either.  Not sure where and when this all goes wrong......but you might have the perfect way to get it going back in the better direction.

Walking is one of the most perfect exercises.  I'm just about ready ( especially with this heat ) to go to our local Rec Center and buy a walking pass for $12.00 a month.  Not sure how many steps we are supposed to take per day......to burn calories and boost metabolism.......but I know I don't come close.  Also, as I have been ( for quite a while now ) a personal sitter for a woman.........I have slowed to her pace more or less and that is so bad.  She is 86 and I am 66........so it is very wrong for me, but at least I realized that I was being her in this department so have to put in whatever it takes to get back to being 60 or so.  It is not ok for me anymore and I'm going to fix that............so back to that walking pass.  Especially in this heat. 

Chevy....I keep on wishing and hoping for good luck for you on the plumbing issues.  These things are never fun but it is a joy to own your own home ---- and will be again when you figure how what you need to do and find the right person for the job.

I'll see you all after work.

Hugs, Jackie

• illinoislady
    edited June 2012

Sorry....my post showed twice so I just dumped the second one.

Jackie

• mommarch
    mommarch Member Posts: 534
    edited June 2012

Hi everyone,  Glad to see all up and at it.  Another hot day in West Texas and no rain. 

I have had two hair cuts since the first of April after finishing chemo on Dec. 1.  I would like to put some color on it so it will all be one color, but I still have new growth comming in on top so don't want to do anything to soon. 

Chevy, I wish I could send my husband to your house, I think he could get it fixed without jack hammering up anything.  He thinks outside of the box.  Good luck

Years ago when we lived in Carbondale, we had this old Willis Jeep and on our way somewhere the accelerator pump went out or something like that.  He had a roll of solder in the back and hooked the accelerator up to the choke so you had a hand accelerator and it got us home.  I can't imagine the money we would have spent over the year if he was not so ingenious.

Everyone have a good day it is my Friday and I go to see me ONC on Monday, hope blood work and all is well.  I was tierd last night I went to bed at 8 and got up at 11:30 and took to IBprofrin and went back to sleep.  Guess I needed the rest.  Feel pretty good today.

• Chevyboy
    edited June 2012

Hey gals!  Mommarch.... The reason it needs jack-hammered, is because the bathroom was added on in the 1930's.....  And it looks like they laid a slab of cement, under the tub, then another slab to cover the legs, and encase the bottom of the toilet, and the tub.  God help us if something ever happens to the toilet!

But they need to jack-hammer out the cement that the tub is on, and get under the 4X4's that are bracing up the wall.   If their arms were about 4 feet long, they wouldn't have to, but they will have to lay on their back, under the pipes, to cut out the section with the old trap, and make a new connection.  They don't use pipes like this anymore, so whatever they use, will be under there forever....Ha!  They all say that they don't know WHAT will happen once they get under there....  The pipe is also encased in chicken wire and cement. Guess it was made to last, BUT it's like the old grease traps these houses used to have.  They eventually have to be replaced, due to rust, shifting, cracking and plugging up.

I'm waiting for the Insurance claims person to call, so they can come out & figure out what if anything they will pay for.  Part of the outside wall, is cut away,  but more of the wall, then the cement will have to be cut out, and replaced....

The main problem is DH.  HE would wait until hell freezes over to have anything done!  He is so afraid we will get charged too much.  At this point, I don't care!  We need something done.  We can't take showers forever, with the water running out down the drain into this rubber hose he connected to go out, and down the little cement walkway between these 2 houses!  I swear, if he would find someone walking down the street, with a jack-hammer in their back-pack, he would stop them, and ask them to do the job! 

To take out the tub, and elevate it, is even more cement work than they have to do already...Also two walls would be involved, because the tub is connected to both of them.

But after tomorrow, after we talk to our friend's plumber/contractor, I will call them, get their estimate, and go from there.   I am just DONE!!!  Done with everyone, and everything.  Undecided   This is where I take the bull by the horns, either with or without DH's blessings. 

Also, Kaara, I had the gel nails put on once.... don't try and pick them off, when they loosen or chip....   Yes, they are beautiful, and stay very shiny, but they are a PAIN to get off....  I eventually DID it, but they hurt my own nails, worse than the Acrylic.   Yes, they want you to come back....Ha! 

I can do my own nails, by gluing the acrylic tips on, then brushing the liquid/powder on top, to strengthen them, then buff (forever) and then polish.  And when they grow out, or "loosen" I can lift them off, buff it all out, scrape oout the old glue, and put them back on, up close to the cuticle.

Okay....I'm done....Have a good trip Carole....!  Hope your Mom will be okay!  She will just miss you being around her...

Take good care....

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited June 2012

But how are your hands, Chevy?

• illinoislady
    edited June 2012

Chevy --- proof that your best friends care and want to know if your hands are getting better andf better or is it too soon and they are just ok right now but still on their way. 

Mommarch.....i think there are some vegetable colors you might be able to use on your hair that probably wouldn't hurt any new growth....but I'd research that a little.  Even if there is I don't know that there would be a variety of colors. 

Just home from work and tired....must be the heat. 

I'll see you all later.

Hugs, Jackie

• Chevyboy
    edited June 2012

Hi pj!  My hands are a little better!  I still am only using water, fluocinonide, vaseline, and the little cotton gloves.  There aren't any new cracks either!  So they ARE getting better.

Jackie, it is so hot here too!  It's beautiful out right now...Just 61.....  I'll bet Kaara would have her hoodie on, Ha!  But supposed to 'warm-up' to 100 again.

I know it's a dry heat, but it's still heat.  Trying to keep the flowers that are in the sun all day wet enough to survive.  So we just do things outdoors in the mornings, and late afternoons.

Still waiting to hear from the Hartford claims person... supposed to get a call, to set up an appointment...maybe today.

Have a safe trip Carole!

• illinoislady
    edited June 2012
    From what we get, we can make a living; what we give, however, makes a life.
    Arthur Ashe
  • illinoislady
    edited June 2012

Chevy....glad to hear your hands are getting there.  Guess it is just reasonable......after a length of time, and not knowing what to do or use that it will take a while.  Patience.....I'm looking for it so often it seems. 

It is not as hot the past couple of days, but wow ---sure could use some rain.  Without that ole' humidity....it really is only heat and every day so far we have had it much more breezy than it ever is so that tends to make it even more tolerable.......but I still would like to see a good rain. Can't believe this is only June.  Just hoping we don't really FRY when the"typical" hot months arrive. 

Hope you all have a good Friday.....hmmm, do people from Hartford ever call on a Friday?  I sure hope they do.

Hugs, Jackie

• Kaara
    edited June 2012

Chevy:  Glad you hands are doing better!  You are right...just took off my hoodie!  I usually alternate between cold and hot at any given time.  I think it's the tamoxifen working on me.  If I cheat on my diet I'm rewarded with some pretty heavy duty hot flashes, so it's enough to keep me honest most of the time; however, I did have some mango ice cream last evening at the asian restaurant.  It came with the early bird special so I didn't want to waste it hehe!

Well, the golf game was a disaster...no fights, but a huge rain storm that drowned us out.  We had to go in and get a raincheck.  Men would play in that kind of weather but not me....I didn't want to ruin my nice new golf hat;)  We got in three holes and I was playing pretty good...actually was beating my BF after he applied my handicap.  

I'm going to an organic market in Asheville today to check things out.  

Have a great Friday everyone! 

• Chevyboy
    edited June 2012

Morning gals!  Yes, it is a beautiful morning, although fast on it's way to 100 again.... 

The best news is Sandusky will never see the free world again.  Can't say he got what he deserved, because if I was one of the Mom's or Grandma's of those boys, he wouldn't have made it to trial, at least very healthy.

If you've ever been molested, or know of some child that has, it's so understandable how terrified they are of "reporting" this either to Mom, or anyone else.  Thank God, the boys now understand how and why they remained silent for so long.  And his own adopted Son? 

Well now he will have the big boys to deal with, and not anymore little boys.  His wife is either brain-dead, or didn't care.  I have no sympathy for her either.  Not that I'm opinionated or anything....Wink  This punishment couldn't be more well-deserved....unless it would be rotting in h#!!..... Oh well, that's coming. 

• illinoislady
    edited June 2012
    "Something I learned early is to not worry about what I can't
    control... But what I can control is my attitude, my effort,
    and my focus every single day."

-- Tim Tebow
  • illinoislady
    edited June 2012
    "Something I learned early is to not worry about what I can't
    control... But what I can control is my attitude, my effort,
    and my focus every single day."

-- Tim Tebow
  • ptdreamers
    ptdreamers Member Posts: 639
    edited June 2012

"Whatever our individual troubles and challenges may be, it is important to pause every now and then to appreciate all that we have, on every level." Shatki Gawain

• illinoislady
    edited June 2012

Ok.....my entry didn't want to post.  This had happened to me a few times now.  So, I took out the second one.  I'm with you Chevy.  I detest knowing some are so sick that they have to fool with children.  Of course, it is beyond my comprehension how anyone could want a child --- male or female.  Guess you'd have to be like that, but I cannot extend one iota of sympathy for the adults who are so destructive.  Bad karma for sure.  There is going to be hell to pay......soon enough.

See you later.

Hugs, Jackie

• Kaara
    edited June 2012

Jackie & Chevy:  I think Sandusky is going to get just what he deserves.  Child molesters are not well liked in prison...they are the first to be attacked and killed by other inmates.  He will probably remain in a solitary cell and have no interaction with others.  The prison officials don't want problems so they keep these kind of perverts away from the main population.  He will have a lot of time to contemplate his misdeeds..104 years to be exact!

• termite
    termite Member Posts: 238
    edited June 2012

Hi Ladies,

I have been catching up on the events of everyone today. DH and I just back from a much needed restful trip. Went to New Orleans for a week. Had a nice quiet place to stay a few blocks from all the attractions. We slept late, sat and read on the porch or by the pool and lots of delicious food. We would walk around the French Quarters or go to different sites until we were tired and then either find a place to rest and watch all the people or head back to our rooms. It was so much fun and relaxing. I hate the thought of having to go back to work on Monday. Our youngest son came and stayed at the house with the our dog and his.I missed the kids and grandkids but it was a trip that was really needed since  we have been so tired lately due to work, yard work, house work and bc.

Chevy, I am glad your hands are doing better.

Kaara, sorry your golf game was rained out. we could really use some rain here. The grass is turning yellow and everything is so dry.

Carolehalst, I hope your mom is getting better. It seems to take longer to heal as parents get older. She will miss you while on your trip but know she is happy that you get a chance to go.

Chevyboy, How is the plumbing problem coming along. Our oldest son bought a house with a pool in the ground a few years ago (he actually took swimming lessons at this house when he was younger) Every problem they have with it seems to have to have something jack hammered so they  reach the problem and fix it.

I hope everyone has a great weekend!

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,283
    edited June 2012

Chevy:  Thanks for your uplifting list.

Jackie:  I told some folks about your angel food, pineapple cake earlier this week.  Yesterday two men brought in cake for their lunches.  One lives alone & was looking for something sweet.  The other one made the cake for his wife.  Thanks again for the GREAT recipe.