Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited June 2012

The
    Dragonfly

Once, in a little pond,
    in the muddy water under the lily pads,
    there lived a little
    water beetle in a community of water beetles.
    They lived a simple and
    comfortable life in the pond,
    with few disturbances and
    interruptions.

Once in a while, sadness
    would come to the community when one of their
    fellow beetles would
    climb the stem of a lily pad and would never be seen
    again.
    They knew when this
    happened, that their friend was dead, gone forever.

Then, one day, one little
    water beetle felt an irresistible urge to climb up that
    stem.
    However, he was
    determined that he would not leave forever.
    He would come back and
    tell his friends what he had found at the top.

When he reached the top,
    he climbed out of the water onto the surface of the lily
    pad,

He was so tired, and the
    sun felt so warm, that he decided he must take a nap.
    As he slept, his body
    changed. And when he woke up -

he had turned into a
    beautiful blue-tailed dragonfly
    with broad wings and a
    slender body designed for flying.

So, fly he
    did! And, as he soared, he saw
    the beauty of a whole new world
    and a far superior way of
    life to what he had never known existed.

Then, he remembered his
    beetle friends,
    and how they were
    thinking by now he was dead.
    He wanted to go back to
    tell them,
    and explain that he was
    now more alive...
    than he had ever been
    before.

His life had been
    fulfilled rather than ended!

But, his new body would
    not let him go down into the water.

He could not get back to
    tell his friends the good news!
    Then he understood that
    their time would come,
    when they too, would know
    what he now knew.

So he raised his
    wings and flew off into his joyous new
    life!

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,533
    edited June 2012

Chevy --- I love that. 

Minus --- so glad people are enjoying that cake.  I love the simple  and easy things and as far as not feeling up to spending a lot of time on a dessert.....this one will always win.  I have a sweet tooth and almost always want a dessert......with this one, I never have to feel too guilty.

Jackie 

• illinoislady
    edited June 2012

You are here to enable the divine purpose of the universe to unfold. That is how important you are!~~Eckhart Tolle

• illinoislady
    edited June 2012

Happy Sunday everyone.  It is hot, hot, hot, here.  Still hard to perceive that we are having a continuation of the  weird winter which has now become the weird summer.  I'm going to start doing a rain dance ( inside where its cool, of course ) and try to jiggle some moisture into coming our way.  Going to have to hose down the dust that is everywhere in the bare patches of our yard. 

Hope you are all going to have a most delightful Sunday.  I'm going to do stuff.....whatever jumps in front of me I guess. 

Hugs, Jackie

• Kaara
    Kaara Member Posts: 2,101
    edited June 2012

Chevy:  Nice poem!  Very inspiring

Jackie:  I may have said this before but I love Eckhart Tolle, in fact, I'm currently reading "The Power of Now" for the second time.  There is so much content to the book that you cannot possibly absorb it in one reading.  The philosophy is a work in progress for me, and I have to constantly practice it to try and stay in the moment.  One thing it has helped me to do is to accept what comes my way and just let it flow through me, knowing that I can't control past or future events.  All we have is now.

termite:  Glad you enjoyed you vacation...New Orleans is a unique town...you gotta love it!

BF has suggested shopping (a rarity) so know he wants to buy some shorts or golf shirts.  I'm always up for shopping;)  I'll probably get a lunch out of it as well.  Nice day here today...still pretty cool...in the mid 80's today with little humidity.

Happy Sunday everyone. 

• illinoislady
    edited June 2012
    What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset. -- Crowfoot, Blackfoot
  • carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,110
    edited June 2012

After three full days of travel, we're staying a couple of days in Clinton, Iowa, a little town on the mighty Mississippi River.  We're in the town rv park, which is very nice, within easy walking distance of the levee on the river.  There's a lovely walking/biking path.  This morning we took a long walk and stopped off at a cheery little cafe for breakfast.

Let me backtrack.  When we got up this morning, we went outside with our cups of coffee.  It was so COOL we sat in the sunshine.  Happiness!

To backtrack some more.  We departed on Friday.  If you recall, I left my car parked at my mother's house to be used to take her places.  Friday night a tree fell on the car!!!  Can you believe?

Saturday my sister took my mother to the emergency room because her foot injury (from her fall) was looking worse.  She was hospitalized and is recovering and doing much better. 

It's a lovely day here in Clinton, IA.  We're taking it easy.  Tonight we plan to go to a ballgame at the park we can see from the campground.  Tomorrow we'll probably play golf.

Life is good.  So far.  Hope everyone is doing well.

• Chevyboy
    edited June 2012

Geez Carole!  At least you can find pleasure in the little things....  Glad no-one was hurt when the tree fell!  And maybe they can help your Mom a little more, being in the hospital! 

We went and bought another fan.... We have the swamp cooler, but this tower-fan, will sit across from the cooler, and circulate the air better....

It's 110 again, and the house has a hard time cooling off at night!  Gotta call 2 more plumbers.....  wish me luck!

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711
    edited June 2012

Oh Carole at least u'r Mom is being taken care of.

YOUR CAR??? OMG wha a nice surprise. It sounds like u'r taking it well tho and enjoying u'r time away---Good for u.

Keep on enjoying--and the weather has broken for a couple of days here, finally we have windows open feels good.

• Kaara
    edited June 2012

It's finally starting to heat up here...supposed to be 97 by the weekend which is high for the mountains.  We'll be taking off for Wisconsin next Monday, so will hope for cooler weather up there.

Carole, your trip sounds very relaxing..just driving and stopping as you go to enjoy the sights along the way.  Sorry about the tree falling on your car.

Chevy:  It's good to get as many estimates as you can before having the work done.  Surely one of them will make a connection with you and you will know this is the right one to do the  job.

I haven't been motivated to do much today other than grocery shopping and a little watering.  Time to start a new book, which is what I do when I get bored...I can always lose myself in reading.

Have a good Monday everyone. 

• illinoislady
    edited June 2012

Oh my gosh Carole.....I started to get nervous about reading more there for a bit.  I'm glad things seem to be falling into place......well, all except for the tree.  I'm so glad no one was in the car.  I also think -- like Chevy......that being in the hospital will get your Mom really going in the right direction now.

Clinton, Iowa.  I think we have a family member that lives there.......and we have a family reunion there every three yrs. I think it is.  Can't remember but thought I heard that Iowa was considered one of the best places to move as they don't have much for crimes there....at least the really bad things. 

Another quite warm day here, but Thursday and Friday will end up being triple digit days.  Wow !!!! If I thought it was bad now ---- well, hope here in the woods we will not be quite so bad.  All the shade from the trees along with a little breeze and we can do pretty much all right.

Kaara.....hope you do find nice weather in Wisconsin. 

See you all later.

Hugs, Jackie

• illinoislady
    edited June 2012

I have become my own version of an optimist. If I can't make it through one door, I'll go through another door - or I'll make a door. Something terrific will come no matter how dark the present.
    - Rabindranath Tagore

I slept and dreamt that life was joy. I awoke and saw that life was service. I acted and behold, service was joy.
    - Rabindranath Tagore

• illinoislady
    edited June 2012

Another warm day here though the overnight temps were great ---  junt not going to stay long.  Well, I'll have to go with this today........if I keep putting one foot in front of the other I'll get somewhere and it should all be good. 

Hope you are all going to have a fantastic day.  I'm doing a rain dance......we so need it here. 

Hugs, Jackie

• mommarch
    mommarch Member Posts: 534
    edited June 2012

Good Morning,

Carole, hope you enjoyed Iowa, I grew up in a little town called Lorimor 15 miles south of Winterset.  Winterset is where the Bridges of Madison County was filmed and John Wayne's birthplace.  Sorry about the car, was it from the storm?  Our DD, GD & GS are in Fort Pierce and they have had nothing but rain, has sure put a damper on their vacation, we can't get a drop here in West Texas.  In the 90's again today in the Mountains.

Chevy, good luck with the plumbers and the heat.

I had my 3 month visit with my ONC yesterday.  Blood work good, and physical exam good also.  ONC was glad my family Physcian put me on Cymbalta and Ambien.  They changed the ambien last Friday to 10 mg and boy I take it and in a half hour I am out for 8 hours.  Feels good to really get a good nights sleep.  Do not have to go back to my ONC until Oct. only if something comes up.  Will have my 6 month mammo in Aug. need to get that apt. set up.

Carol and Karra be safe in you travels.

Jackie hope all is well with you.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,110
    edited June 2012

Mommarch, that's great news that your checkup with your onc went well.  What a shame that your daughter's vacation was messed up by the storm. 

The night the tree fell on my car there was no bad weather at all.  No rain or wind.  The tree just fell.  It was hollow inside the trunk.  My sister's dh got the car out of the garage and apparently the damage isn't all that bad.  The body shop is too busy to take it for a couple of weeks so it's parked under cover at my sister's house.

My mother has done very well in the hospital.  Her kidney function has greatly improved.  And her foot is healing.  She's going home tomorrow.  We had hoped they would put her in a convalescence facility for a couple of weeks but it sounds like she's being released to go home.  She's all for that.  My sister says my mother has charmed everybody dealing with her.  She's always a good patient and doesn't grumble.

DH and I played 9 holes of golf today and walked.  We have our own push carts that roll very easily.  Afterwards we had lunch in the restaurant at the golf course.  Now we're relaxing.  Tomorrow we'll hook up and travel north to WI.

Chevy, I hope you're keeping cool with that extra fan. 

• Kaara
    edited June 2012

carole:  So glad your mother is doing well.  That is a relief for you, I'm sure, and you can continue to enjoy your vacation!

Mommarch:  Good news on  your checkup!

I had an app't with my PCP here in NC yesterday, messed up the time, and missed the app't...duh!!  Had to reset for after we return from WI.  It was nothing urgent...just to check in with her since I haven't seen her since last year after my suspicious mammo.

Nine holes of golf and dinner last night...today is a free day for me because BF is playing golf.  No obligations...yea! 

• illinoislady
    edited June 2012

Normally I woldn't put a quote like this in.....but I chanced on a section of misc. quotes and this was one of the first ones and it struck me funny ( with my rather weird sense of humor ) so I thought....heck, why not???? I may know why not sooner than I think, but here it is:

A lady came up to me on the street and pointed to my suede jacket. "You know a cow was murdered for that jacket?" she sneered. I replied in a psychotic tone, "I didn't know there were any witnesses. Now I'll have to kill you too."
    Jake Johanson

• illinoislady
    edited June 2012

Carole:  it really sounds like your Mom is definitely on the right track now --- so maybe a hopsital stay was just the right thing.  I think most of the "hospital staff including Dr.'s" are probably relieved when  they treat people with a rather positive viewpoint who are mainly keeping their composure, being nice and just want to get well and go home. 

For some, I think the upset of having to be there sometimes brings out the worst......and truthfully, with people in and out all the time, medications having to be done, vital sign readings on a regulated basis, and food cooked on an institutional basis.......I can see how trying it may seem.  I think your Mom is definitely in touch with her inner being and can just DEAL with what is happening at most given moments. 

We have trees out here in the woods die from the inside out a lot of the times.  Some are the type ( the big Cherry trees ) that need regular maintenance if they are to survive well.  Others just become old and tired and it is time to stop.....

Scorcher today......but worse the next two days as those triple digits arrive.  I'm not looking forward to it, but at least we don't have the humidity to make it far worse.  It will just be heat.....not the most pleasant thing, but you can work with that..........the humidity just makes you want to lay down and not get up. 

Hope you are all going to have an ok day.  I'll be thinking about you.

Hugs, Jackie

• Chevyboy
    edited June 2012

Just a note.... So many fires here now!  Colorado Springs, around Garden of the Gods, also Boulder, almost in the city, and the one in Ft. Collins and Estes Park still going. 

http://www.denverpost.com/

They were evacuating the horses through the streets, as people were losing their homes.Frown

Another plumber coming today.... Temps supposed to cool down to 105 degrees today....

Carole.... Yes, I wish they could have kept your Mom awhile longer also...It would have done her a lot of good! 

Take good care gals....

• Kaara
    edited June 2012

Jackie:  That was ok by me...I got a good laugh.  That's one of those "wish I had thought of that" quotes!

• illinoislady
    edited June 2012
    A single grateful thought toward heaven is the most perfect prayer.
    -- Gotthold Lessing
  • illinoislady
    edited June 2012

Sure praying for all those in Colorado and everywhere if their are fires burning.  Especially if many are having the heat issues we are having here.  It continues to be a strange yr. and strange ( un-like our earlier yrs. here ) has now carried into this summer time.

We are instead of the two days which were predicted at first, going to have at least a whole week of the triple digit temps. I'm sure not liking this.  I just hope and pray we all do ok.  Worry about people with compromised systems......so saying prayers that all will be well.

Saying plumber prayers too...........at least I got my t.v. and Internet working last night.  Having trouble with both and was getting so very frustrated......so I finally got hooked up with someone ( tech support ) that knew enough about it to guide someone like me ( so challenged with electronic things ) through a couple of remotes and installing support numbers into things.  I am almost hopeless with these things because I don't have the patience I wish I had.....and probably because I don't understand anything about the IT goes round and round and comes out here part.  If I had an inkling I might be able to sit still and not stew over it all.  Sigh !!!!!

Hope you all have a good day and can stay cool.

Hugs, Jackie

• Kaara
    edited June 2012

Hi all:  It's still so cool and pleasant here in the mornings, but word is that it's going to be very hot through the weekend:(  I'm not a big fan of hot weather...anything over 90 degrees and I'm not a happy camper.  I can always put on more clothes but can't take enough off..lol!  I hope it cools down before we leave for WI because the air in our little honda that we're driving to conserve gas isn't all that great.  We've got a hard 12 hour drive to get there in one day so we'll have more time to spend with the family.  My poor little plants here are going to have difficulty surviving.  The ones on the deck I sit in a tub of water and they survive, but the others have to have water.  I hate to ask the neighbor because it requires walking down some steps to get to the hose and I don't want them falling on my watch, so I'll just take my chances and hope they're established.

Chevy:  The fires in Co sound just awful!  Someone posted a video on my facebook of houses burning in Colorado Springs.  It looked like a normal residential neighborhood where the fires just jumped the barriers...maybe fueled by winds.  I feel so bad for the families losing everything...hopefully no lives are lost in the process of evacuation.  Co could use some of the rain from Florida...over 10 inches in Jacksonville alone. 

Jackie:  If my tv or internet ever went out and my BF wasn't around I would be completely clueless.  I really need to learn how to work the universal remote and take a computer class!  One day he's going to be away on a trip, it's going to happen, and I'll be SOL!  When I was working I used to joke that that's how you knew when you were in management...you couldn't fix the computer or run the copy machine and you could no longer fine anything on your desk...lol!  Apparently it carried over into retirement. 

Tonight we're going to the little theater to see a play that's supposed to be very funny!

Have a good day everyone! 

• munnybunni
    munnybunni Member Posts: 74
    edited June 2012

hello everyone...i havent been on in a good while....had some issues with my last two chemos...ended up in hospital twice...neutropinic (probably spelled it wrong)...was in one time two days and second time four days....

finally had my last chemo treatment and had the port removed a couple days later....

went in for a checkup with breast surgeon and she is sending me tomorrow for a diagnostic mammogram...and then on monday i go for a ultrasound of my thyroid as i am having difficulty swallowing as well as it is a little poochie on my neck at my thyroid...also having a abdomen ultra sound as ...i keep burping and a little discomfort in middle to right area of back...she thinks it might be gall bladder

needless to say i am nervous nellie thinking maybe cancer has moved to thyroid...worried about mammogram....i wonder if it is going to be like this the rest of my days...worrying that something is wrong

hope everyone is okie dokie

• Kaara
    edited June 2012

munnybunni:  It's good to hear from you...so sorry you are having all these problems.  I pray that everything turns out ok for you and you will be on the road to recovery very soon.  I'm sure it's good to have the chemo treatments behind you and now you can focus on healing.

Sending you positive energy! 

• ptdreamers
    ptdreamers Member Posts: 639
    edited June 2012

munnybunni, hoping for the best with you. Even though not pleasant the gall bladder would certainly be the thing to hope for. Take care.

• Chevyboy
    edited June 2012

Good Morning Munnybunni!  I'm glad you came back, even if it is to tell us what is going on with you.  I know!  We just hate those tests....!  Especially after what you have been through.  I didn't know chemo could be such a b####....  I didn't have it, and hopefully I will never have to.... But you certainly had awful reactions to it! 

I know it affects everyone differently Undecided....  I'm so proud of you that you didin't come back ranting and screaming about the whole ordeal, as I'm sure you felt like it....  Good job Munny!

I don't know anything about gall-bladder, nor thyroid!  But I'll be waiting to hear what they tell you! 

The fires..... It's just so awful, watching those homes burn.  My oldest Daughter lived there while the boys were growing up, and she knew of some of their friends losing their homes.

I kind of quit watching the news...   

I just know about Plumbers!  Wink Like how they don't call when they say they will, to let you know about estimate, time, etc!  But maybe by the end of next week, he "will call back, and let us know when he will be out to do the work."  Yeah, right.

Talk to y'all later! 

• Kaara
    edited June 2012

Chevy:  OMG..Co sounds like NC with regard to service people...hurry up and wait!  I must be so frustrating...grrrr!  I would be beside myself because I am so impatient to get things done and over with.  Colorado Springs is such a beautiful area...we actually thought about retiring there, but found NC instead which is closer to Florida.  We have to contend with hurricanes in Florida, so I guess you are never completely safe.  We could have fires here in NC, but it usually doesn't get that dry.  Asheville is kind of in a rainforest type area.

Our play last night was very funny "Fox on the Fairway"  centered around golf, which my BF loved!  Great talent at this little theater.  Dinner before was awesome...a tapas place with lots of gluten free items on the menu and very reasonable.  Good wine was only $5 a glass! 

• illinoislady
    edited June 2012
    If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think a negative thought.
    Peace Pilgrim
  • illinoislady
    edited June 2012

Probabbly not much to say today.....so I'll share something I just read......it sort of goes along with the quote I think:

The Purpose of Your Trip Here's a fun summer quiz for you: You wake up one morning and you feel like having French toast for breakfast. You go to your pantry and discover you have no bread. So you head to the convenience store on the corner and you pick up a loaf of bread off the shelf. You go the counter to pay, where you chat with the clerk for a minute, you both share a bit about your day, and laugh for a moment. Then you go home and make your French toast. What was the purpose of your trip? Think for a moment before you read on. Your first answer might be, "To buy some bread for French toast." A Course in Miracles suggests otherwise. It would say that the purpose of your trip was your moment of connection with the clerk. As spiritual beings, only spiritual food can fulfill us. Yes, it's important to take care of your body, but it's more important to take care of your soul. I had a chance to practice this idea when I was awaiting a commuter flight on my way to Sun Valley, Idaho. Due to heavy rain at Sun Valley, the flight was delayed. The airline agent announced that there was a chance we might not even be able to land if the rain kept up. Everyone scheduled to board the aircraft was put on hold in the waiting room. Meanwhile another commuter flight was loading, and this agent was the only person boarding both flights. Under a lot of pressure from the passengers from both flights, he was a bit harried, but kept his cool remarkably well. When our flight finally boarded I lingered for a moment where the agent was collecting boarding passes. I looked the fellow in the eye and touched him on the shoulder. "You're doing an awesome job," I told him. "You're a great example of grace under pressure." He stopped his ticket taking for a moment, smiled, and offered me a sincere "thank you." As I boarded the airplane I sensed that moment was the most meaningful of my day. It transcended the insanity of a busy airport and transported me, and possibly the agent, to a dimension far richer than the airplane could fly me to. Our days and lives are not built on events. They are built on moments. May we all use them well.

This was taken out of a newsletter I get from Allen Cohen.

Hugs, Jackie