Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,111
    edited July 2012

Chevy, the green chili sounds delicious. One year when we were in New Mexico, venders were selling the roasted hatch chilis everywhere. They were in the parking lots at all the supermarkets. We bought a bag and used them in our cooking. They're fairly mild.

Jackie, we had a thunderstorm with rain last night. This morning it's overcast with a chance of showers. We had planned to drive to Bemidji, about 50 mi., with the bikes and ride around Lake Bemidji. But, to be honest, I'm a little tired so we're staying around the campground today. Friday is supposed to be a beautiful day so we'll plan to go to Bemidji on Fri.

Late yesterday afternoon, we were treated to a boat ride on two of three lakes connected by creeks. This resort is on Island Lake which is connected to Eagle Lake which is connected to the biggest lake, Potato. Isn't that an odd name for a lake? I think I mentioned that a man and his 7 yr. old son are here in the resort this week, and he has a boat.

Jackie, so you and your dh have a boat? You've never mentioned going out on your lake.

Hope everyone is having a pleasant Wed.

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited July 2012

Jackie, so if you put up a fence, maybe the fleas will stay out of your yard?  Same with the snakes!  Wink 

When I worked at Coors, and we took guests on tour, one of the guides was asked "What do you do about mice, being around all the germination beds in the malt house?"  The guide told them "We put signs up, that say "No Mice Allowed"....so they don't come in!"

Carole, my Husband is deathly afraid of boats...maybe even ships.  He can't swim.... It's a wonder he even went fishing!   Or took a bath! 

I went out on Grand Lake one time, on one of those Pontoon boats.... It was me, my Daughter & her DH, and my 2 little Grand-sons!  Well we putted around the lake, and THE MOTOR STOPPED!  We drifted over to one of the banks, and finally a guy came out, put a rope on our dead boat, and hauled us across the lake back to the dock!  Ha, ha!  It was so fun!  The boys thought it was like Gilligans Island.... We could see the opposite side, but man, we could not get there on our own power! 

But eating lunch out there, waving to DH on the side of the lake (when the boat was running) was really a kick! (And they gave us our money back!)Smile

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,574
    edited July 2012
    Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life.
    It turns what we have into enough, and more.
    It turns denial into acceptance,
    chaos to order, confusion to clarity.
    It can turn a meal into a feast,
    a house into a home, a stranger into a friend.
    Gratitude makes sense of our past,
    brings peace for today,
    and creates a vision for tomorrow.
    - Melody Beattie
  • illinoislady
    edited July 2012

You just might have it there Chevy.....a good fence to keep everything out.  Wish we could have a fence that wan't a huge inconvenience.  Maybe one of these days when we are able to re-level a lot of our yard....we may be able to find a better area to actually fence in for the dogs that would be better for them and us as well.  I do know that our fence out back is too large.......so it will be made smaller ( if this horrid heat ever lets up ) for the time being. 

Cloudy here today with the hope that we will get some rain at some point.  They are saying closer to the evening hours.....it won't be enough but oh how I'd love to see the dust settled good for a bit.  I do fear with all the dryness here.....it will mainly run off rather than sink in. 

Hope you all have a wonderful day. 

Hugs, Jackie

• Kaara
    Kaara Member Posts: 2,101
    edited July 2012

Time flies when you're having fun!  It was a great two days with girlfriends.  We did everything..ate too much, drank too much (for me anyway) and spent too much money shopping!  It was fun talking about old times and then deciding where our next visit was going to take place.  The drive out and back over the mountains was actually fun!  My little car takes the curves very well, and I don't drive as fast as my BF, so I can enjoy the scenery.  I just put on some good music and enjoyed the ride.  Not sure the people behind me were as happy as there is no passing on those rodes..oh well...everyone should slow down and enjoy life a little more..hehe!

It's good to be home. 

• carolehalston
    edited July 2012

Chevy, there's no telling how many hours my dh has spent on the water.  He was a boat captain in the Gulf of Mexico.  We lived on a sailboat for 9 years and then owned other sailboats after we moved ashore into a house.  I'm not a good swimmer so I always make sure there's a life jacket handy when I go out on a boat. 

I would love to fish but dh is not the least interested in fishing or cleaning fish.  So we rely on buying our fish at fish markets.  But I haven't seen any such animal here in MN, where people tend to catch the fish they eat.

Today it was in the 60's when we got up.  There was a nice breeze.  We played golf.  Now we're back at the campground and it has been raining off and on. 

Kaara, it sounds like you had a great time with your women friends.  Female friendships are so important.

Hi to everyone.  Hope you're all having a good day.

• Chevyboy
    edited July 2012

I guess you could say we are "land-lubbers"  Ha!   One time we went to Orlando with my Daughter's family, and my Daughter and I were with my youngest Grandson, who was about 16, in the water just off of the beach...I think we stayed on "Singer Island"... Well those two got me on a "boogie-board" amid all my yelps and moans, on my stomach, while they were holding me & the board...and the waves kept bobbing me, and I thought for sure I would flip over & drown!!!!  But DD finally said, "MOM, YOU CAN TOUCH THE BOTTOM...YOU CAN STAND UP!"  So I quit whining, Ha, ha!  Grand-son just thought that was the funniest thing ever! 

I almost drowned once.  When I was in Camp-fire girls, we were in this pool, and we made a large circle holding hands.  Well as we went around, I found myself with nothing to stand on!!!  I couldn't touch the bottom, and I couldn't swim either!  So after going completely under a few times, someone noticed, and pulled me out, and I never went swimming with them again, damnit!   I was soooooo scared!  I was always so short, like about 1/2 as tall as a "normal" little girl.... But I grew to be much taller!  Like 5', 1 1/2"....Wink

Kaara and Carole, I LOVE my girlfriends!  Going to lunch with one I grew up with tomorrow!  Olive Garden is the best!  It's for my 75th dang birthday!  Who would have thunk I would ever be 75???  But that's the whole point of living, to have as many birthdays as you can!    I remember when I worked for Mountain Bell when I was just 18.... A few of the gals were 24, and I thought they were almost middle aged! 

But girlfriends were there for me, when we were really going through rough times.... My girlfriends and my belief in God.... and a lot of prayers.

Or whatEVER you believe in....  We can't do this by ourselves....  Love you guys.........

• Chevyboy
    edited July 2012
  • Kaara
    edited July 2012

Well evidently I did burn the candle at both ends the last few days because I just woke up from a two hour nap!  I was just going to rest my eyes for a few minutes...lol!  I feel a lot more rested.  I don't always sleep well in strange places and I wasn't there long enough to get used to it.

• illinoislady
    edited July 2012
    In our willingness to give that which we seek,
    we keep the abundance of the universe circulating in our lives.
    - Deepak Chopra
  • Kaara
    edited July 2012

Morning all!  Time to get back into my routine of morning exercise, healthy smoothie, and then some dreaded housecleaning that I've neglected for several weeks...ugh!  Fortunately I did all the laundry that piled up while I was away (heaven forbid my BF could lift a finger unless it's to pick up a golf club) last night, so that is taken care of for the next few days!  Also, it rained while I was away, so the watering is taken care of for today.

After my long nap yesterday, I thought I would have difficulty sleeping but not so...I slept like a baby in my own bed with my own pillow!

Have a happy Friday! 

• illinoislady
    edited July 2012

Welcome home Kaara.  Men are so clueless --- but guess we let them get away with it so shouldn't be too surprised.  Have to admit.....I can't do a lot of the things dh easily does so maybe somewhere along the line it evens up.  Just frustrating when your tired too.....cooking dinner, while you do laundry and put fresh sheets on the bed etc.  Sigh !!!! 

I'm not at all surprised that you slept well after your nap.......when their is catching up to do ( sleep-wise ) and we are able to be deeply comfortable, mother nature just takes over to fill in the gap.  I was doing a similar thing when I was having to work on Saturday and start at 6 a.m.  The problem was that in wanting to not be late....I would begin waking up about 2 a.m. to "check the clock"......even though the alarm was set.  So even though I got off at 11 a.m. I'd come home fall in a chair and have a nice....loooong nap.  Come evening....I'd be struggling to keep my eyes open to watch t.v. past 10 p.m.   Fortunately for me....I think Saturdays are now going to be covered by someone else. 

Ah....the long awaited rain storm.....all 14 and 3/4ths. drops of it.  It is cooler today though and we won't get the triple digits for a couple or more days......still too hot.  Hoping for another chance at rain sometime over the week-end.   Someone told me this is going to go on until October.....oh Lordy, I hope not......but it is what it is.  We take what we are given and do the best we can.  We did not have a winter this past yr. with all the warmth.....and way tooooo much warmth this summer.  So....quityerbellyachin' and move on. 

Hope you all have a fantastic day.  I'll be thinking of you.

Hugs, Jackie

• mommarch
    mommarch Member Posts: 534
    edited July 2012

Well we have had around 4 inches of rain since yesterday.  Everything is flooding.  Hope we can get home.  We sure need it.  We are leaving the new car parked in town and driving the old van home. Had heater on in the car this morning.  Hope you are all having a good day.  Have alot of errands to run after I get off work.

Take Care

• Kaara
    edited July 2012

Finally!  The house is clean but I left the vacuming of the stairs and lower level for my BF!  Now I'm going to take a nice hot shower and relax a little before starting dinner which will be turkey breast, cornbread dressing and a baked sweet potato, with probably a green salad with grapes and walnuts.  We have a netflix movie to watch tonight "The Artist".

Good thing I decided to review my online banking...I had forgotten to pay both my auto and homeowners insurance..yikes!!  For some reason I didn't get the e mail reminder...oh well. 

• Chevyboy
    edited July 2012

Mommarch!  You had the heater on???  In Texas???  Or are you in Nome Alaska??  So glad it is cooler somewhere! 

It is raining here!!!!  Cool  It is so beautiful out!  And the rain/water looks so clean, and wet!!!  Man, it's been so long......  Actually it is pouring out!!  Been cloudy for about 2 hours, and it finally came in with a thunderous roar!!! Just like they said it would.  I just want to keep looking outdoors to see this "gift!"

It has cooled down to 68.6....  that's from 90 earlier.....

Went to lunch with my one girlfriend, and had the soup and salad, and peach iced-tea.  Then I stopped at the Dollar store and bought a bunch of "treasures!"   It's so much more fun going alone to that place, because DH is on my tail, and always asking "do you need that?"    Well hell no, but I WANT it!   I bought things for me and both of my Daughter's.  So there!  And "he" isn't home, so he won't even know it!  Wink

We are having those huge burger patties from Walmart.... and that "congee" I made last night.  That rice disn is sooooooo good!   Also made a pot of mashed potatoes, because I needed to do SOMEthing with them..... And they are always good warmed up... maybe with a fried egg on them!

Oh no, it QUIT!!!   And the sun is coming back out.... What is this, a hit and run storm??? 

Kaara, do you have a "windows calendar" on your desk-top?  I get reminded of stuff that way....and you can make it on-going. 

Jackie, did you get any more rain yet?  Okay gals.... have a great week-end.

• Chevyboy
    edited July 2012
  • carolehalston
    edited July 2012

Kaara, your turkey dinner sounds delicious.  Isn't it nice to have the house all clean and shiny?

Chevy, glad your lunch out at Olive Garden was fun.  We recently had an Olive Garden open up near us and you can't get near the place.

Jackie, sorry you didn't get much rain.  We had showers again yesterday, but today started out nice and cool, about 64 degrees and the high was in the 70's today.  We drove to Bemidji, about 50 mi. north, and rode our bicycles around Lake Bimidji.  16 miles.  My legs are weary tonight.

On the way back this afternoon we stopped at a little town called Lake George and had fish dinners at the Senior Citizens center.  The annual blueberry festival is in progress in that town and the fish fry is one of the events.  The fried fish filets were good, but they were talapia!  Not a MN fish.  A gospel music group was performing on an outside "stage," actually a trailor bed.  We listened to them a while and then came back to our campground home.  A shower really felt good.

Tomorrow is the farmer's market, actually two separate ones, in Park Rapids. 

Hi to everyone. 

• Chevyboy
    edited July 2012

Morning gals....My Daughter just sent me this Website, and I thought it was beautiful....

http://twistedsifter.com/2012/07/bruce-munros-light-installations-at-longwood-gardens/

• Kaara
    edited July 2012

Good morning!  Watched the beginning of the opening ceremonies of the Olympics last evening which didn't impress me very much...sorry.  I switched to 20/20.  Today is the big Belle Chere festival in Asheville...crowds and more crowds...along with beer drinking and partying...not my thing.

LOL...chevy....see I'm not the only one who gets cold in the summer!  Maybe it's a Texas thing...I'm from there also..hehe!

Don't know what I'm doing today...anything I want because my dreaded chores are all done!  Probably lunch with a friend if he confirms.

We had one of those short hard rains here yesterday...I still had to go out and water droopy plants last evening.

Have a fun day everyone. 

• illinoislady
    edited July 2012
    Stop! Breathe deeply.
    Begin bringing peace to the outer world
    by regaining your own inner peace.
    Choose love, choose gratitude,
    choose forgiveness, choose peace.
    Begin with your own inner peace.
    Then use that inner peace
    as a platform from which
    to approach the outer world
    with perspective, understanding, and patience.
    - Jonathan Lockwood Huie
  • ptdreamers
    ptdreamers Member Posts: 639
    edited July 2012

chevy, thanks. those were incredible. would love to see them in person.

• illinoislady
    edited July 2012

Morning, although it is noon here.  I had to leave earlier and do a couple of things and come back.

Kaara....I too was not as impressed as I hoped I might be with the opening ceremonies of the Olympics this yr.  In listening to some of what was said.....the man who designed it this yr. apparently did the one for Japan last time......and said he knew there would be no way to top that one.......so he felt free er to do something I suppose more meaningful to the British people at large.  My problem was that after a while, I had to get up for a time and I was totally lost  ( not that I was getting all the meaning before anyway ) when I got back.

Our drought and heat continue though the heat is not as bad.....just the lack of any real rain.  Though there is a chance.....I doubt we will get any today or tomorrow either....though the weather report said maybe.

I hope you all have a wonderful Saturday.  See you later on.

Hugs, Jackie

• Chevyboy
    edited July 2012

I know!  I was kind of "lost" too, but couldn't believe how many people took part in it!  I didn't watch all of it, but I found parts of it online, like the appearance of Mohammed Ali!   It really was spectacular, just the lights, themes and all the planning that went into that! 

We went to the Mile Hi Farmers market this morning!  You have to get there before it reaches 100, because that black-top makes it even hotter, I think!  But I bought some "fun" things.  My best find, was that natural Shea butter!  It is soooooo soothing to your skin!  AND a cute new shoulder type hand-bag!  They are so easy to shop with, without carrying a purse on your shoulder, with those short handles.

Jackie.... that quote was beautiful..... Sometimes I believe you can look into my heart, and know what I need to calm down.   Do you gals ever wake up and just THINK about things, and can't go back to sleep?   When things bother you, no matter how you try, it's hard to brush them off!  It takes time, patience, and a LOT of understanding...  So thanks for that today Jackie....

• carolehalston
    edited July 2012

We checked out both farmer's markets today and made purchases at both.  Green beans, potatoes, beets, zucchini, tomatoes, sweet onions, carrots, small rhubarb pie and rhubarb preserves.  I think I've mentioned before that dh is a rhubarb fan.  Oh, and a beautiful loaf of bread, same kind that we bought last week.  Multigrain.

Earlier I cooked the beets outside on a hot plate.  In a pot, of course!  I'm planning to cook the main dish outside, too, in an electric skillet.  We have the windows and door open in the camper and I don't want to heat things up with cooking.

On the way home from Park Rapids, we took some country roads and came to a restaurant we'd heard about, Logger's Camp.  The location was previously a logger's camp.  We stopped and had a substantial breakfast which is served on a large platter:  eggs cooked to your liking, hashbrowns, ham or sausage patties, pancakes.  The tables are long and the seating is wooden benches.  The plates are metal.  The service was fast and the food was delicious.  Better than we'd expected.  The price was $8.75 for an adult.  It was 11:30 so the meal was a combination of lunch and breakfast for us.

Chevy, we're watching the Nationwide race at Indy.

Hope everybody is enjoying the weekend.

• Chevyboy
    edited July 2012

Carole!  Yes, I was watching the race too!  I love places like that!  There used to be one in Colorado Springs, but it was taken out by the fire....  The seating was the same way, and they had cowboys singing, you could watch someone shoeing horses, making bisquits outdoors with cast-iron pots over a camp-fire, and you could all join in singing in this huge "room!"  It was a great place!

We have an old little oven that stays outdoors all year, covered when we aren't using it.... But I use it all the time in the summer, so we don't have to heat the whole house when baking stuff!  It must be 25 years old, but it's well protected!   We USED to have it in the house, with the microwave on it, but when they came out with smaller toaster-ovens, it got moved outdoors.

Have a good Sunday!

• Chevyboy
    edited July 2012

It was the Flying W Ranch!  Have any of you heard of it?

http://www.flyingw.com/

And another fun place was the "Juniper Valley Ranch".... It served home-style cooking also... I think it is still between Colo Springs and Pueblo.

• Kaara
    edited July 2012

At the grocery store yesterday I found some gluten free pancake mix and then purchased some fresh blueberries, so we're going to have a new breakfast treat today.  I'll let you know how it turned out.

Last evening we went over to Biltmore Park for dinner..it's an area of restaurants, shops and a movie theater.  Twice a month they have concerts out on the green...that's next week.  We ate and walked around a little...the weather was beautiful, cool with a nice breeze blowing.  My BF's team won their golf match, so he was treating me for dinner.

This morning I woke up with a pain in my right jawbone...I'm hoping this isn't the tamoxifen starting to give me problems.  It isn't supposed to bother your bones...it's the Al's that do that, but I'm going to watch it carefully.  I could barely bite down on that side.  My eye is slowly but surely getting better.  It should be healed just in time for the next injection.  Not sure what to do...I think I'll just wait until we go back to Florida in late August and have my specialist down there give me the injection.  

Looks like a nice day today...we'll probably either go to a movie or play nine holes late today, depending on the weather.

Have a great Sunday everyone! 

• Chevyboy
    edited July 2012

Kaara....I don't think it's the Tamoxifen causing that pain....I took it for 14 months, and it didn't cause pain anywhere...just those muscle cramps in my legs.  And I took the whole dose...  Maybe have it checked out?  It COULD be some sort of tooth problem?

Would it hurt to wait until August for that injection?  Maybe the next shot wouldn't do that.  It might have just been a fluke....

• Kaara
    edited July 2012

Chevy:  I'm only supposed to get the injection once a month, but at the rate this healing is going, it won't be done until almost time for the next one, and by that time we're almost ready to head to Florida for my DGD's birthday, so I'm thinking I will wait and see my specialist down there.

This pain in my jaw seems like a TMJ problem...I'm going to see if it resolves over the next few days.  I'm due for a dental cleaning soon and I'll ask my dentist.  Guess I'm looking for any excuse to go off the tamoxifen although it really isn't causing me a lot of problems.   

• illinoislady
    edited July 2012
    "Those who contemplate the beauty of the earth find reserves of strength that will endure as long as life lasts. There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of nature -- the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after winter."
    - Rachel Carson