Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• Kaara
    Kaara Member Posts: 2,101
    edited August 2012

Jackie:  The closest I came to getting a pet was when my DGD had her Min Pin...his name was Mickie and he was the cutest little thing.  I could hardly bear to see him in the house with all of DD's other animals...two bulldogs and a german shepherd.  I was afraid he would get squashed.  Of course, DGD tired of him, but before I could speak up and take him, my DD's friend scooped him up.  He's now living the life of riley like one of Paris Hilton's dogs...wears outfits and everything and sleeps on a jeweled pillow.  He might not have had it that good with me...lol!  He loved me though...every time I came around he would come to me to be picked up and cuddled.  At least I know he's well cared for.

• termite
    termite Member Posts: 238
    edited August 2012

HI Ladies,

Welcome Wilsie, sorry you are going through this again.

Jackie and Chevyboy, your dogs are cute. We have a 3 year old black Lab. He is very lovable.Always wants to be right by us. We also watch our sons yellow lab at times. The two dogs get along great. His name is Sarge after some cubs player. The dogs in the past were Sammy and Wrigley. Our boys were cub fans and named the dogs.

My work place is changing owners. I have to go to another  childcare center for training for their procedures and policies for management. Everything is so different. I am not so sure I will remember how to do all their reports that are done daily. I  thought I would retire from the place with the old owners in a few years. Change is not always fun. I have met some very nice people at the training center though.

We need the rain also. Tomorrow is suppose to be another 90 degree day. Hopefully, it will not be humid as well. Our lawn is brown and the flowers are dying.

Hope everyone is doing okay.

Have a great day

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,574
    edited August 2012

Joy and openness come from our own contented heart.

- Buddha

If instead of a gem, or even a flower, we should cast the gift of a loving thought into the heart of a friend; that would be giving as the angels give.

- George MacDonald

• illinoislady
    edited August 2012

Termite...I think there is a quote that says something to the effect that the only constant there is, is that things will change.  I'm sure that is pretty true.  Just as we get almost completely comfy with something, along comes something to throw us back in the mixer. 

I hope you are able to find your "comforts" zone again with these new people and that work will soon be more pleasure than anything else. 

Hoping for rain and we just might get it.  There is a chance as well the next couple of days.....surely one of these days will prove fruitful for us. 

I hope you are all going to have a wondrous day.  I'll be checking in again after work.

Hugs, Jackie 

• Isabelle2
    Isabelle2 Member Posts: 231
    edited August 2012

First radiation postponed again!  My onc is on holidays & has to approve treatment....why are they doing this to me.   So stressfull.

• illinoislady
    edited August 2012

Isabelle2:  I am so sorry to hear that.  It is stressful and we always want to get on with txs....whatever they are.  I'm feeling that they don't see a problem with waiting yet for a time....or I'd have thought your Oncologist would have left a standing order to procede.  Hoping his/her vacation is not not long and you can get on with things.....this is a major STOP to life --- having to take time out to deal with something so serious.  Sending lots of serenity to you and hoping the path gets very smooth.....very soon for you.

Hugs, Jackie

• Isabelle2
    edited August 2012
    Thank you for that Jackie, yes they knew he was going on 3 week vac. when I was first booked but this is a brand new centre and they did tell me (after the 2nd cancellation) that they are still a little disorganized.   I do understand that but it puts a wrench into all my other committments including the social activities  I am participating i, trying to keep my life as  normal as possible.  Just me whining &  boohooing...Cry  and I know it could be a lot worse.
  • Kaara
    edited August 2012

Isabelle2:  That's so sad that because one doctor is on vacation you can't get started on your tx.  Don't they have someone filling in during his absence?  WTH!  I guess it's a good thing I didn't do rads...I have absolutely no patience for things like that.  Sending you lots of positive energy as you navigate through this mess of a disease.  It will all work out, so try to stay in the moment.

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited August 2012

I'm with Kaara and Jackie....  This is really mis-management and very un-caring!  I don't have any patience either.  Can you ask to speak to a supervisor or someone with a little more knowledge as to when exactly you can get started!   And to set a date, and follow through with it?  There HAS to be someone else there, with the same expertise as just ONE Radiologist!   Unless you are the only patient? 

Sorry, but I just hate to see people taken advantage of.   Ask them that!   "Am I your only patient trying to start radiation?".....Ha!  But it doesn't do any good to feel bad....   Sooner or later, they will get things going.... but they owe you an apology.

• Isabelle2
    edited August 2012

Thanks everyone for caring.....If anything happens to my Tues. appointment (it will be the 3rd try) I will definitely raise cain...lol   In the meantime I made the best of today, Doug & I went shopping TOGETHER, he did not moan even once about all the stops...highly unusual...he is being a prince.   I think he does not want to see me in tears any more than necessary.....lol again.

• Chevyboy
    edited August 2012

Oh I'm so sorry Isabelle! For all that you are going through....Your DH sounds like a Prince....they can make all the difference in the world!  Hang on tight..

Talk to you next time!

• illinoislady
    edited August 2012
    Each morning is the open door to a new world - new vistas, new aims, new plans, new things... and whether one is twenty, forty, sixty or eighty; whether one has succeeded, failed or just muddled along - life begins each morning.

L. M. Hodges
  • illinoislady
    edited August 2012

At long last....glad to report we had some rain --- won't help the crops and I'd have loved to have had a little more, as the last two what I'd call non-rains, did not affect the dust at all so this did well over-all.  Chance today and tomorrow for a bit more which I hope we get.  We need to get a little more water-table ( ours is usually always so high ) established.  Anyway....I restrained myself from going outside and just standing in the stuff.  I didn't notice until almost dark and I was walking around talking on the phone to someone. 

Beautiful sight to see after all this time.  I hope you all have a fantastic Friday.  Working late shift today....will get home at 8 p.m.  tonight.  I'll be checking in again then.

Hugs, Jackie 

• Kaara
    edited August 2012

I headed into Asheville today to my favorite store..Chicos.  They were having a summer clearance which is good for me because it is summer all year in Florida..lol!  Bought two shirts and had lunch at a cute little restaurant in the Village...salmon patties over spinach.  Excellent.

This is a new one...I was sitting by myself at a two place table.  It was crowded and there was a wait.  This nice gentleman asked if he could join me and keep me company.  I didn't know what to say, so I said ok.  That hasn't happened to me in years!  Anyway, we had a very nice conversation and it turns out we both worked for the same holding company at one time, just different divisions.  Small world.  He insisted on picking up the check, and didn't even ask for my phone number....just said he thought I was too pretty to eat lunch alone.  What a nice gesture.  Wait till I tell my BF...that will teach him to play golf and leave me to the wolves..hehehe!  Ladies, I guess we're never too old for a little harmless flirting.

Last night we went out to dinner and to a play...Guys and Dolls a broadway classic.  It was awesome!  Tomorrow and Sunday is the Art Festival in the Village where I was today.  We will probably go early Sunday morning before church lets out to beat the crowds.

Have a nice weekend everyone! 

• Chevyboy
    edited August 2012

Oh Kaara, don't tell him!!!!!!  Sheesh!  That would mean major problems in THIS household!  He would swear I was thinking of running away to Tahiti with this "stranger!"  Keep it to yourself....It is so special when someone else, "notices" you....It makes you feel very beautiful and young! 

I met my DD and her friend for lunch, so I thought today!  But she had arranged a Birthday Party for me...complete with those blow-out party favors, birthday napkins, and table decorations.... And 8 of us!  Ha, ha!  I have never had a surprise party before!  So we had a great lunch, and all laughed so hard!!!  This one friend of hers, and her Mom, are like a comedy team!  I can't beLIEVE some of the things she says, and we all just shook our heads, and cracked up!!!  When they sang Happy Birthday to me, I just put my hands over my face and cried!  I was so happy!!!  We are going to meet again next month, to just enjoy each other and be rowdy...Wink

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,111
    edited August 2012

Kaara, what a morale booster!  I say tell your BF.

Isabelle, I empathize with your frustration even though I didn't have rads.  You want to start your treatment and get it finished.

Jackie, YEAH for the rain!  I hate seeing those pictures taken in the drought areas where the ground is so dry it's cracking.

Wren, that's so kind of you to take in injured animals and nurse them back to health.

Today was laundry day.  We went into Park Rapids to a nice laundromat where I fed LOTS of quarters into machines.  Now the bed is freshly made.  We have clean towels and clean clothes to wear the next two weeks.

Chevy, that's so great that your daughter organized the surprise birthday party!  You sound as though you had a great time.

Happy Friday to all.

• Kaara
    edited August 2012

LOL!  Well, I told him because I don't like keeping secrets.  He was not thrilled I could tell, and said if that had happened to him, and he told me, he would be crucified!  I asked if he would have felt better if I had not told him and he said YES!  Sooooo..if it ever happens again in the short time I have left on this earth I'll keep it to myself;)  I fixed him a nice dinner and after that he was fine.  I guess it's true that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach!

Chevy...Happy Birthday!  What a nice surprise.

Carole:  I guess when you go away for that long, laundry does finally come into play:(

It looked like rain today, but turned out to be beautiful!  Hope it stays nice for the art festival the next two days. 

• termite
    termite Member Posts: 238
    edited August 2012

Hi Ladies,

Chevy,  Happy Birthday. It sounds like you had a great time.

One week done with training and two more to go. The ladies there are very nice. Just seems strange to be with another company.

Its late so I will be tomorrow.

Have a great weekend.

• illinoislady
    edited August 2012

Love ya' Chevy:

Jackie

• Chevyboy
    edited August 2012

Thanks so much all of you "best friends!" Smile

Good luck Termite!  Change is always a little hard.... because of the unknown.

And Jackie...my cake is beautiful!  Ha!  Thank you!

Kaara....  I also "learned" that they don't have to know everything we do or say!  We don't have to "share" each little thing that we do.  Of COURSE it would make him feel bad....  Just like it would you....even if it didn't mean anything.   That chance encounter was just for you....  something sent him there, to sit with you, and just have a friendly lunch.  It  was "just one of those things."

When I had this job working in the stores, a boss came in, and said "Do you want to take a break?"  So I sat with him in that store in the coffee-shop, and my MOTHER IN LAW walked by!!!!!!!!!  I felt so guilty!!!  After all, it WAS my boss, talking to me about the "new" job, and my sales!  I TOLD my Husband when I got home.  Sure he was mad, but I didn't DO anything!!!   We are adults, but we think once we are married, we should NEVER talk to another person of the opposite sex again for the rest of our lives!   If we DO, we just keep it to ourselves... That's what makes life go around!  We talk and have fun with everyone... 

Next time this happened, yes, I DID have coffee, but I was never "caught" again.  Don't know if my MIL would have blabbed to him, but I KNOW she did to everyone else in the family. 

"Things" make us feel so guilty for no reason!  But you can share your fun things with us... just not "them".....Wink 

Yesterday, at my party, one of my Daughter's crazy friends asked our Waiter, if he was going to "be our special treat!"  He came back with, "Well, I've got too many clothes on, BUT......."  All 7 of us just roared, Ha, ha!  Did I tell my Husband????  HELL no!  When do we have to start acting our age, I ask you?  Is 75 the time?   I don't care if we do get silly....  That's just a fun part of life....

My friend just sent me this....  Sounds like it helps to analyze tissue samples more accurately?

http://www.futureoftech.msnbc.msn.com/technology/futureoftech/17-year-old-girl-builds-artificial-brain-detect-breast-cancer-908308

• Chevyboy
    edited August 2012

Awww...I just had to do it!  Wink

• Kaara
    edited August 2012

Chevy:  Now if that guy that had lunch with me yesterday had looked like Matthew it would have been a whole different ballgame!!  I don't think we're ever too old to enjoy compliments and innocent flirting, but that's just me talking!

Glad you had a fun day for your birthday...your waiter sounded like fun...hope he got a big tip!  I love service people who help you enjoy the experience.

My BF announced that he wasn't playing golf today so we could do something.  Hummmm...wonder what brought that on??  He NEVER misses a Saturday golf game unless it's lightening and thundering outside and it isn't!  I see a movie afternoon and dinner out in my future.

Happy Saturday everyone! 

• Chevyboy
    edited August 2012
    Well don't take him to see Magic Mike, Ha!   I think he changed his plans because you gave him something to think about.  Now is the time to make your move.... Wink  He is under your power.... you go girl!
  • carolehalston
    edited August 2012

That's funny, Kaara!  I'll bet your lunch encounter DID make your BF stop and realize he's a lucky man to have an attractive partner. 

We're having a pleasant, lazy Saturday.  We went to the two farmer's markets in Park Rapids and bought lots of beautiful fresh veggies plus a loaf of home-baked bread and a box of cookies.  Afterwards we had breakfast before returning to the campground.  It's cool today after rain last night.

I guess my day wasn't entirely lazy because I did vaccuum and do a little cleaning before settling down on the couch to watch some tv.

Hope everybody is enjoying the day.

• Kaara
    edited August 2012

Carole:  Gosh...your RV must be huge...you still have to vaccum?  Woman's work is never done I tell you!

I'm off to enjoy the Biltmore Village art festival today....yea....it looks like no rain in sight! 

• illinoislady
    edited August 2012
    We are each of us angels with only one wing,
    and we can only fly by embracing one another.
    - Lucretius
  • illinoislady
    edited August 2012

Interesting night last night with the rain, thunder, and lightning.  We sure needed the good soaking we got.  May get a bit more this morning....not sure.  There is some rain around us.....just don't know if it will get here. 

Needing to do a lot of catching up here today.  Went to Fairview Hts. yesterday to the Sam's Club there with a friend.  Came home with some good buys....well, they were to me anyway.  Also stopped at the Target store nearby.  The bane of really small towns......the best shopping can be slightly over an hour's drive away.  Still, I wouldn't trade it.  The overall peacefulness is wonderful most of the time.....would be more so if we could spend a lot of our summer out of doors as we normally do.  Our deck has been empty most of this yr.  We usually take all meals out there as well as relax with our morning coffee......and ice tea in the afternoons. 

I hope you all have a great Sunday.  I'll be thinking of you and "Magic Mike" too.

Hugs, Jackie

• carolehalston
    edited August 2012

Kaara, our 5th wheel camper is quite large.  It's 38 ft. long and has 3 slides.  It has a central vac system.  We kick off our shoes when we come inside so I don't have to vacuum often.  But the normal cleaning has to be done:  vanity bowl, toilet.  We wipe down the shower so it stays clean and shiny.  We're very comfortable with two recliners and a couch, a flat-screen tv, a nice kitchen and a full-sized refrigerator-freezer with an ice-maker.  A dinette table with chairs.  King-sized bed.  Two air-conditioner/heater units.  We're not "roughing it"!

Today was a no. 10 day.  It was 57 degrees when we got up and the high was in the 70's.  Low humidity.  Just beautiful.  

Sure hope that storm down in the Caribbean doesn't make its way into the Gulf of Mexico.  We'll be watching the weather channel.  Mother Nature always has something brewing. 

• illinoislady
    edited August 2012

Carole......I'm with you....at my age I don't want to have to 'rough' anything anymore.  Also, just in case you could not be in your house for a while for some reason.........right in your drive-way is all the creature comforts.  Who could ask for more.  Your day sounds delicious as well.  No rain this morning though we had clouds for a while.  Stayed cooler than it has been though the humidity was hanging in there.  A nice breeze part of the day so we didn't have it too bad. 

Pulled pork barbecue sandwiches for supper tonigh with Sweet Onion Hawaiian Potato Chips....yum. 

Hope you all had a fantastic Sunday.

Hugs, Jackie

• illinoislady
    edited August 2012
    Kindness can become its own motive. We are made kind by being kind.

Eric HofferBy Eric Hoffer