Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,111
    edited July 2012

The Pine Hollow Resort is VERY quiet.  I think all the weekenders/seasonals have gone home to their weekday lives.  DH and I have this whole place to ourselves.  Guess we could run around nekkid outside!

I donned my walkin' shoes and walked 55 min. this morning, up and down hills on a nearby street that runs along the lake.  This gal is from flat country.  Those hills got my heartbeat up for sure.

The weather is a little warmer this afternoon so we closed up and turned on the a/c.  DH is supposed to be watching NASCAR but his eyes look closed to me! 

Maybe I'll talk him into taking the kayaks out this afternoon.  I figured out a way to make disembarking easier.  Beach the kayaks backward so that we're leaning a little forward when we heave our bodies into upright position!  It's worth a try.

Happy Sunday!

• Kaara
    Kaara Member Posts: 2,101
    edited July 2012

Carole:  Between the bike riding and walking and playing golf, you should be very fit!  Good for you.

• mommarch
    mommarch Member Posts: 534
    edited July 2012

Well the world gets smaller all the time.  We went to church this morning and it was announced that Caleb Medley who was one of the Aurora Victems is the Great Nephew of a member of our church.  My heart and prayers go out to all.

No rain this weekend, worked at the broom shop yesterday, we are pretty behind right now.  This Friday we will be going back to our Son's.  Taking our daughter to pick up her car which we left there, and then she is going back to Milton, FL.  The gentleman is our grandaughters God Father and they had not seen each other in 12 years and the sparks are flying.  She is going to stay there for a few months and they are going to see how it works out.  Kimber will stay with us right now.  I hope it all goes OK for them, they both deserve happiness.  

Hope Monday is good for everyone. 

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited July 2012

Morning Mommarch...I'm so sorry...  Yes, I read about Caleb Medley... The news has had full pages of all the people who lost their lives... It just makes even us, who didn't know anyone so sad!  Then reading about Holmes everyday is even worse.   This is something that will stay with us forever, I think.

Hope your Daughter finds everything she is hoping for... being together should make her know one way or the other.  Just tell her to take her time... I know our heart and our head sometimes don't work together... I mean our heart just doesn't listen to our heads, much less anyone else.

Have a peaceful Monday girls....! xoxo

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,574
    edited July 2012
    The supreme prayer of my heart is not to be learned, rich, famous, powerful, or good, but simply to be radiant. I desire to radiate health, cheerfulness, calm courage, and good will. I wish to live without hate, whim, jealousy, envy, fear. I wish to be simple, honest, frank, natural, clean in mind and clean in body, unaffected - as ready to say I do not know, if it be so, and to meet all men on an absolute equality - to face any obstacle and meet every difficulty unabashed and unafraid.
    I wish others to live their lives, too - up to their highest, fullest, and best. To that end I pray that I may never meddle, interfere, dictate, give advice that is not wanted, or assist when my services are not needed. If I can help people, I'll do it by giving them a chance to help themselves; and if I can uplift or inspire, let it be by example, inference, and suggestion, rather than by injunction and dictation. That is to say, I desire to be radiant - to radiate life.
    -Elbert Hubbard
  • illinoislady
    edited July 2012

Morning....hope you all have a marvelous Monday....back after work.

Hugs, Jackie

• Kaara
    edited July 2012

Another Monday...more laundry...how does it pile up so quickly!!  

Watched the olympics last evening...our USA women gymnists are just awesome!!  I felt so sorry for the one who lost out to the overall competition...she worked so hard and just one little slip and it was all over.  The pressure they must be under...I just wonder how healthy that is for a young girl.  This is by far my favorite of all the events.

Have a great day everyone! 

• Wilsie2
    Wilsie2 Member Posts: 240
    edited July 2012

I am proud to be "older", will have my 68th birthday on Saturday and going gambling with my daughter!  Mindless amusement where you can escape the "real world" for a while.

I need an "attitude adjustment", as I thought I was free and clear 15 years ago, and used to tell women who were newly diagnosed, look at me!  I have been though it all! Surgery, chemo, radiation, and see?  I am just fine!  Then the ugly beast crept back in to my life in January.  I am usually the "eternal optimist" but have had my life shaken my the new development.  I am finished 14 abraxane treatments and am on aromacin now, my energy and hair coming back, but always feel like I am waiting for the other show to drop.

No one to tell but you guys, please bear with me.  Thanks for listening.

• ptdreamers
    ptdreamers Member Posts: 639
    edited July 2012

wilsie2, that's why we are here, to be there for one another. pardon typos and lack of caps. pecking with one hand. anyway glad you found  us.

• Wilsie2
    Wilsie2 Member Posts: 240
    edited July 2012

Thanks for your support.  My right hand pretty useless, too.

• Kaara
    edited July 2012

Wilsie2:  So sorry you are having to deal with this again...what a nightmare.  I am a newbie to this, having just had my surgery last December.  I haven't even reached the one year mark yet, but I am trying to be positive about the future.  I'm doing everything possible with lifestyle choices..diet...exercise..supplements, but little in the way of conventional choices.  My one compromise is I'm taking tamoxifen in hopes that it will prevent a recurrence.  All we can do is everything we can and then hope.

Sending you lots of positive energy. 

• Isabelle2
    Isabelle2 Member Posts: 231
    edited July 2012

Wilsie, is that a little Pom I see?  I have a mini Pomeranian, sable, looks like the same colour..she just turned 9 end of June..best little dog I ever had.

This is my first encounter with BC...lumpectomy & 12 nodes removed May 24th..start my 1st of 25 rads on Thurs. Aug. 2.  I am on day 34 of Femara & so far main side effect is emotional and a little bit of afternoon tiredness which is so unusual for me.   I guess I should consider myself lucky if anything about C. is lucky.   I am so grateful that I am not younger and dealing with this & raising children.    I so admire the younger women on this site who  are still dealing with children & jobs.

• Chevyboy
    edited July 2012

Now Wilsie, how can you gamble if you are having trouble with your right hand?? Wink

I'm having my 75th tomorrow!  I hated from 70 to 75, but now that it's here, it doesn't sound so bad, Ha!  It sure could be worse!   We went gambling too!  But NEXT time, I'm going to take up a book, instead of money, and spend my time THAT way...AND with a Starbucks sweetened iced coffee Grande'!

My DH gave me money to spend, but of course I couldn't hang onto it.  So it's much more fun to hang onto your money!  What are you guys doing with your hands??? 

And sorry Wilsie, for having found it again....  But you are an inspiration to me....  I can have the same attitude, "IF".....!

Isabelle...Our little Sheltie is also 9...  "our other Daughter".....   And I know what you mean about being one of the younger gals, with small kids, and having cancer....  I don't know what I would do!!!  So yes, we ARE lucky....  Come talk to us again real soon!!! 

• illinoislady
    edited July 2012

Wilsie2 --- welcome to the very seasoned women here on the Older forum.  I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this again.  Had to have been a new primary after all this time.  I do think anyone who has had a "turn" at cancer probably has a higher possibility of a return at some point.....but of course, we all hope and pray it is not us. 

Just look at it this way.....maybe an "attitude adjustment" but for 15 years you were able to be a positive model as to what a really good outcome could do.  I bet you have no idea how many people had hope and great inspiration....and every word you said to others was true. 

You sound  like you have a good handle on things, but truly, I would be devastated.  Here's hoping everything smooths out once again.  In the meantime......we love to "get together" here and talk about most anything including cancer of course.  I hope you will come back often.

Actually trying to rain here, but such minor spitting....I don' t have a lot of hope. Temps were not too bad today, but the drought is really abysmal and I am really tired of it.  Several chances for it to rain this week...so all if not lost if we don't make it today. 

Hope you all stay well.

Hugs, Jackie

p.s.  excuse any typo's.  The spell checker just won't turn on today.Yell

• illinoislady
    edited July 2012

Hey hi Isabell....been wondering where you were.

My little fellow....about 4 yrs. old above and is going on 9 now.  His name is Baby Boss and he is the BOSS in no uncertain terms.  We also have a Puggle, BishonPoo Terrier and Lab Retriever as well as a Min-Pin.  Too many, but hey, you have to have some problem don't you ????

Again, hope you all have a fantastic day.

Hugs, Jackie

• Chevyboy
    edited July 2012

Okay, my turn...WinkLacee is 8, I think.....  A little Sheltie.

I have trimmed so much of her fur off for the Summer, but she will look like this again by November.  She kind of resembles a little Teddy bear now.

Jackie!  And you have Crocs?  Man, I live in those things!  I have a pair in almost every color, Ha!  Been wearing them since I had Plantars' Fasciitus. (sp?) But aren't those high-heels so CUTE that they make now? I mean the 10 inch stilletto's with ribbons & gems?   I'd fall head first into the Petunias with a pair of those on.  I think you can only wear them to a rowdy bar, & get completely snockered.  I could wear them if I didn't try and stand up..... ever.  They are kind of trampy looking, right? 

I would have bought a pair, about 30 years ago, if they had them....  And you have to have the "attitude" to match!  Cool

• Chevyboy
    edited July 2012
  • Kaara
    edited July 2012

Hi Ladies:  Love your pets!  They are all so adorable.  Jackie, I had no idea you had so many! One day I'm going to have one, but it will have to be when I can no longer travel and be on the move constantly like I am now.  It wouldn't be fair to a pet to have to put them in a kennel every time I left home for a week or two.

Chevy:  Happy early birthday to you!  Hope you have something special planned.  Believe it or not...the photo of those shoes...I have a friend that I worked with that wears them every day.  Also my DGD wears them...I actually saw her at Easter in a pair so high that she towered over me..lol!  I told her..."never walk on my hardwood floors in those shoes..they would make holes in the wood like nails".  Her BF won't let her walk on  his floors either with them on!

I've never been a gambler...just never felt the thrill of winning or losing for that matter.  Just give me the money and I'll go shopping and at least have something to show for it in the end.  That's just me...I know others enjoy it and that's fine...no judgments here.  Whatever floats your boat.

It's raining today.  I was trying to work in the yard last evening pulling some weeds, and I got chased away by a bumblebee of all things.  He just kept buzzing me until I went inside.  I hate that, but I don't want to get stung again and have a problem with shingles like I did the last time I was stung by a bee.  Anyway it will be easier to pull the weeds after a nice long rain which it looks like we're going to have today.  A good day to curl up with a book.

Have a great day everyone. 

• illinoislady
    edited July 2012
    Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds
    if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon.
    -Doug Larson

Cheerfulness is the best promoter of health
    and is as friendly to the mind as to the body.
    -Joseph Addison

• illinoislady
    edited July 2012

Good morning......hmmm, Kaara....could you share some of that rain. Starting Thursday.....we have several days in a row listed as having a good possibility for rain.  We are just hanging in their with this drought and it is getting very tiresome.  Hope later this week we break out of it for awhile and actually get enough to do a little good....though this late in the year...no matter what we get we will tend to just dry out all over.

I'll be checking back some time after work.....hope you all have a fantastic day.  See you later.

Hugs, Jackie

• Kaara
    edited July 2012

Jackie:  LOL...I guess that's why I feel so good...I'm cheerful and have a green veggie drink almost every morning instead of bacon;)  Hopefully my efforts will pay off in the end.

I remember when I was growing up in Texas...almost everything was cooked in bacon grease.  Now that was really healthy..not...but it sure made the food taste better.  Between that and the charred steak and chicken on the grill, it was a perfect setup for my bc later in life.  Who knew!  I can't change what has already happened but I can try to make a difference going forward. 

• illinoislady
    edited July 2012

Oh Kaara.....all those things you mentioned may have had very little if anything to do with your later in life cancer.  Food was generally much better many yrs. ago....with cattle and pigs ( bacon ) fed better.....and that along with all the garden food was I know much better than what passes for food now.  I will say though,....I think it did take a good spate of time for us to catch on to the red meat thing. 

But.....we do have to watch every little thing now.  My motto is moderation, with plenty of good water and exercise. 

I have to run and help dh with a project. 

See you all later.

Hugs, Jackie

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,111
    edited July 2012

Welcome Wilsie.  I'm so sorry about your recurrence.  Your story is what we all fear will happen to us.  I'm three years out with 2 more years on arimidex.

Cute dogs.  DH and I were cat people when we had pets.  Now we're "petless" and will probably stay that way.  Pets are so expensive, especially vet bills. 

Enjoying the Olympics. 

Happy Birthday, Chevy!!!

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,922
    edited July 2012

Carole, DH and I decided not to get any more pets because of vet bills and our age. Now we foster for an animal shelter. I usually get cats with injuries and keep them until they are well enough to go to new homes. I have to keep telling myself they're not my pets, just rental pets.

• Isabelle2
    Isabelle2 Member Posts: 231
    edited August 2012

Okay, I will post my little Sassy on here as soon as I can figure out how to do it.   One more day till #1 rad...Thursday.   Have talked about it so much I feel as if I have already been there.  lol

• illinoislady
    edited August 2012

Can't wait to meet Sassy......

Hugs, Jackie]

p.s.  I'm assuming that rads are done exactly the same way in Canada as they are here.  If so, they are easy, but depending on how many you need to do they tend to get boring.  Also, you may get some bouts of fatigue.....I had a fair amt. of walking to do....thru a motel, and then into the rads office, then back to the V.A center hospital where I had a long walk to go get lunch.....and then back to the motel.  I have always thought the amt. of exercise helped me.  I got fatigued twice and I will say it was like nothing I had ever felt before.  I actually felt I had to lay down and sleep or I would just not be able to move again.  So.....even though it may seem like the wrong thing.......probably a modest amt. of walking might be fine to keep you from not having much like me, or maybe none at all. 

See you all tomorrow.

Hugs, Jackie

• Chevyboy
    edited August 2012

Morning gals!  Hi Wren!  When the girls gave us Lacee, we thought, "Oh no!  Aren't we too old to raise another puppy?"  Well, 8 years, and so many love filled years later, our lives would be so empty without her.... I think she makes it easier to accept the other things life dishes out as we get older....Wink  We always have someone there to hold....and she makes a great listener!

So very great of you guys to take in those pets!  Wow!  I admire you....and thank you!  You and your DH are their guardian angels. 

• Chevyboy
    edited August 2012
  • illinoislady
    edited August 2012
    Change always comes bearing gifts.
    - Price Pritchett
  • illinoislady
    edited August 2012

Morning......the quote is to honor what Chevy said.  Most of the time we don't want things to change.....seems they might be too hard.  We get to a place where we don't want to make a commitment to an animal....too much change when we feel things are settled in a way that is comfortable to us.  I'd like not to have so many......but seeing their eyes light up when I come home every day.....and a couple like Baby Boss who think it is their only job in life to follow you around and stay right next to you --- just make it so easy to forget all that it takes to keep them going. 

Certainly not the fair weather friends we sometimes have/get. 

Still waiting for rain here.....I'd give up but I'd just have to start "mouthing" about something else.  I'll see you all again after work.  Have a wonderful Wednesday.

Hugs, Jackie