Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• mommarch
    mommarch Member Posts: 534
    edited October 2012

Good Morning,

I went to see my ONC yesterday, My blood work is OK.  We talked about my fatigue, or at least I did, he thinks it is the depression caused from the Tamox and I am to see my Dr. on Monday and see about being put on another anti depresent.  Will try another one and see.  I am also gaining weight with the tamox, he thought maybe if I get on the right antidepressent and had more energy the weight will take care of itself. 

Work has been better this week.  Will just hang in there and see what happens. 

Dr. gave Hubby a steriod shot in knee this visit.  He may have to have a knee replacement at some point.

Everyone take care,  

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited October 2012

Hey gals.....Kaara....We are going there tonight!  Ha, ha!  Maybe the car show in Kissimee, and old town Orlando!  Been running around all day.... but so fun driving with our younger Grandson, who is 24...... and listening to him tease us all....Wink

We were rockin' all the way home to his CD with AC-DC..... Man, was THAT loud.... I mean I could have listened to that without my hearing aids..... But still fun!

We are also going to Datona Beach for a flea market somewhere, this week-end..... So far, this old relic of a computer is working great..... can't say that for the printer.... BUT!  They all have lap-tops, and don't even use this.... but I still like it better than their lap-tops! 

I burned an AC-DC playlist, so we can listen to it when we get home.....  I can shake the walls off the house.... Cool

Okay gals.... talk to you later......

• binney4
    binney4 Member Posts: 1,466
    edited October 2012

bonnets, you might want to check out the information about cording (or Axillary Web Syndrome):
    http://www.stepup-speakout.org/Cording_and_Axillary_Web_Syndrome.htm

Hope you're soon feeling much better! Be well,
    Binney

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,114
    edited October 2012

Chevy, you're having such a good time I'm wondering if you're gonna stay in FL!

Mommarch, glad work is going better.

I had a very nice day.  Played golf this morning and actually played pretty well compared to how I've been playing the last three years since bc.  Best of all, I enjoyed being out on the course with my two playing companions.  This afternoon I made a veggie soup with chicken broth, a leek, cabbage, carrot, parnsnip, summer squash, kale and one other veggie whose name I can't remember.  It's a bulb.  The recipe also includes a little tomato paste, dried basil and oregano.  This soup is a "free" food in WW.  As is most fruit.

We're watching the playoff game between the NY Yankees and Baltimore Orioles.

Tomorrow morning I'm scheduIed to take my mother to have her hair done.  In the afternoon I'm signed up to work as a volunteer at the Wooden Boat Festival in Madisonville.  I'll help out doing something at the woodworkers guild tent where children assemble a boat out of parts the guild members have made.  It's a very popular tent at the festival.  I'm working all day tomorrow.  My challenge is not to be a big customer at the food vendors!

• bonnets
    bonnets Member Posts: 737
    edited October 2012

Binney, thanks for the info. The  surgeon  suggested stretchuiing exercises, am doing them and the pain has decreased. Also elevating that arm. Don't see anything  but am  glad to be aware of what to look for. Jean

• edithesther
    edithesther Member Posts: 56
    edited October 2012

Bonnets glad your arm easing. I try to do excercises at least twice a day, only takes a few minutes and definitely worth it.

Monmarch hope you had a great day, sounds like lots of fun.Hope you feel brighter in yourself soon.

chevyboy, the comment about your hearing aids and the music made me chuckle. My DH plays his guitar in the house at that kind of volume !! Also his CD's of Status Quo makes the pots in the kitchen rattle !!

Have rediscovered my love of baking and    experimenting with recipes again. Made a sugar free lemon curd the other day and it is gorgeous. One thing I missed since being diabetic, now having toast and lemon curd for elevenses.

Going to rummage through my knitting bag and see what I can start, been told excellent excercise , plus something for xmas for grandchildren.

Best wishes to everyone.

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,580
    edited October 2012
    I have found that if you love life, life will love you back - Arthur Rubinstein.
  • joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited October 2012
    Hi Ladies,
    Glad to find an active thread with 60+ ladies....
    Since I am post-lumpectomy for a year +, it is not as easy to stay involved with threads with the newly diagnosed younger ladies. 
    LE seems to be a prominent topic on many threads...and here.  I am wondering if anyone has had Mondor's disease (it is like cording only in the abdomen from affected breast to waist.  I had it a month ago at least, and I think symptoms are fading.  I have tried to find information about the connection with LE but not much luck. 
    I have had a pretty uneventful recovery and that makes me complacent about LE; but I read that it can happen any time under most any circumstances.  I'm not that careful.   How would I know if I should be worried or not? 
    Kaara, I think I saw you here...so a big hug to you.  I hope all is well.
    Wishing a good nite/day to all,
    Joan811
  • carolehalston
    edited October 2012

Welcome, Joan.  Like you, I haven't worried much about LE either.  I'm not familiar with Mondor's disease. 

DH and I will both be working at the Wooden Boat Festival in a nearby small town, Madisonville.  He's a member of the Woodworkers Guild which makes a big variety of "parts" for the chlldren to select to make  their own unique boat, which can include little sails.  Members of the guild are on hand to actually assemble the parts for the kids.  At the end of the assembly line , a volunteer writes the name on the boat hull.  That was my job yesterday afternoon.  Outside the tent there's a huge vat of water for the kids to float their boats.  It's a lot of fun working with the kids.  The boat is free but there's a donation jug if parents want to drop in some money toward next year's materials.

Wishing everyone a wonderful Sunday.

• illinoislady
    edited October 2012
    Bringing a childlike wonder
    and a beginner's mind to life
    maximizes both
    success and joy.
    - Jonathan Lockwood Huie
  • illinoislady
    edited October 2012

Hi  Joan and welcome to you.  It is often easier to talk to each other here as there are not loads of us here since we are a bit well seasoned ( not old you understand ) but seasoned. 

I have heard of cording but not Modor's.  Here is the beauty of interacting with each other.  We all learn something.  I had no idea that cording could occur away from the surgical site.  Very interesting.

As far as LE --- I haven't been super careful either.  I hate to just throw it into a lump because there are more than likely things I'm not at all aware of with it, but it would seem often to be like so many of us who got cancer.....not much rhyme or reason and not much for risk factors......yet, there it was when we had no expectation at all.  I think LE is like that as well.  My rule of thumb has been air pressure.  My left ( would be the LE arm if I ever got it I guess ) is naturally weak from a stroke several yrs. ago so I guess in the long run it is air pressures from flying that I would worry about.  I don't think I overuse my left arm because the strength just isn't there.  I think ordinary care as to what is recommended for all people.......no shots, blood draws, blood pressure etc.  Watch out for wounds on that side....like cutting your fingers peeling potatoes etc. 

Probably also helps if you didn't have much for nodes taken out, but there again.......it is how well your own personal body can compensate and find another GOOD pathway for the missing nodes. 

Hope you enjoy being here.  We are a fun group.  Carole, what your doing sounds to be so much fun......I'd have trouble staying away from other's booths I think. 

Hope you all have a gorgeous day.  We are watching colored Fall leaves drift down from the trees....and its warm though damp from last night's rain. 

Hugs, Jackie

• Chevyboy
    edited October 2012

Hi gals!  Just me dropping a note from Orlando.... Went to a Farmers Market this morning, and went to see our oldest Grandsons apt, right down in the middle of the city!  So fun....

And cooking dinner tonight for neighbors and all of us.... Beans & Macaroni, with Ham, Ravioli's, Ham for sandwiches, some kind of shrimp, bread and salad....and a big cake!  Youngest Grand-son has his 24th birthday Wednesday, so we are celebrating it tonight! Wink

Hi Joan!  You know, I'm like Jackie...don't worry very much about Lymphedema... Maybe I'm just lucky..... But I thought about it when we were flying, but no problems!  My ankles didn't even swell.... Make sure you check with your Doc's if you think you have a problem though. 

I noticed my Seroma is still THERE, last night!  Undecided  I think "that" breast has up and shrunk, and the seroma seems larger?  I need to find a better bra.... MAN I hate to try those things on,  But one side is a lot larger than the traumatized boob now!   Guess I could always fill it in with kleenex, like we used to!  Ha, ha! 

Okay gals.... flying home tomorrow afternoon.... I'll be so happy to see little dog-face!!!!

xoxoxoxo

• munnybunni
    munnybunni Member Posts: 74
    edited October 2012

hi everyone.....munnybunni here....havent been on in a long while...so much going on in my family that i just do not get on computer

i finished my chemo on may 24th...ended up in hospital for 5 days due to low blood counts...got some units of blood and lots of rest.

had my port removed in my left arm...(sure wish I could have kept it in as getting blood out of a vein is the pits now)  My left arm is smewhat bigger than my right.  My right is the side i had nodes removed.  lab will not take blood out of right arm even though my dr said blood pressure and blood could be taken

my hair is coming back in...grey and curly at this point.

endocrine dr said in a few more months perhaps my blood sugars will come down due to the steriods i was given.

my cataracts got worse...opthamologist said steriods accelerate cataracts so i am having surgery in nov on my left eye.  when i look in the mirror i dont look so old because it is so blurry.....hee hee titter titter

it will be a year on december 5th when I found out about the cancer...day before my 67th birthday.  I am thankful for all the wonderful women on here that I have chatted with and all of you that have given me emotional support that I truly needed.

• Kaara
    Kaara Member Posts: 2,101
    edited October 2012

Two beautiful fall days here in the mountains.  We took a drive and enjoyed the leaves, ate lunch, stopped and shopped for a while, then went to see a movie...Argo....very good....I highly recommend it.  It's about getting the hostages out of Iran.  Very entertaining.

It's been cooler than normal for this time of year, but I enjoy that! 

• carolehalston
    edited October 2012

Hi, Munnybunni, I'm glad you checked in and updated us on what has been going on with you.  My cataract surgery did great things for my eyesight.  I hope you're as fortunate.  I had worn glasses or contacts since high school and after the surgery I could see well enough not to need either, except for close up reading. 

Kaara, I can just imagine how lovely it is in North Carolina with the fall colors.  My SIL and her dh just saw that movie and said it was really good.

Chevy, hoping you have a safe and comfortable flight.

Tomorrow morning is my WW meeting and weigh-in. 

• joan811
    edited October 2012

Carole, Jackie, Chevy, thanks for your warm welcoming words.  Nice to be here.
    I like to see where everyone is from and I feel connected....My son just moved to IL (Chicago) for a new job (miss him)...I was in Denver 3 weeks ago on a mini trip...and I was supposed to be in Orlando today visiting Disney with Gd princesses...but I got a  cold that has lasted 11 days so far. 
    In July, I flew 20+ hours, and while I knew I'd have ankle swelling, I never even thought of LE.  I had 2 nodes removed, and had some "guitar strings" in axilla for awhile, but nothing else.  I hope it stays that way. 

Kaara, glad you are still enjoying the mountains.  It finally got cool here, but no frost and leaves are still green.
    Wishing a good night to all.
    Joan

• illinoislady
    edited October 2012

I have a sleeve that I would wear for flying.......due to the big changes in air pressures and things.  Long time ago when I first checking into whether I needed a sleeve or not ( I was going to be flying to California where my daughter lives ) and was reading on a part of this blog I think -----  at one time I was on two or three different cancer blogs, that a gal had flown just over 100 times and figured she'd never have to worry.......then she got LE.  So, I do feel that once you have had nodes removed, even a few, could cause an issue.....and it could happen if it ever does, right away or could take years.  I do feel the longer you go, hopefully it could be a little less likely.  Anyway......I'm sure there are many, many people who never have a problem. 

Joan....forgot to say, your son will be about 4 hours from where I live in Illinois --- I am South of Chicago. 

I am surprised munny, that your Dr. will let you do any thing in your rt. arm.  Everyone I talked to said to not ever let anyone do anything, bp, blood draws, just nothing what-so-ever in my node removal arm.....and I only had three taken out. 

Kaara.....your trip sounds wonderful.  There is something just as enchanting about the Fall colors and leaves on the ground.  I think it is the memories of how it often as a young person led up the last wiener roast of the year on hay bales and a crackling fire after dark outside.  The end was always S'mores.  Then on to Thanksgiving. 

Hope you all had a great Sunday..........and have a wonderful safe trip home tomorrow Chevy.

Hugs, Jackie 

• carolehalston
    edited October 2012

I do not have bp cuff or needle on my right arm, my "protected" arm.  At first it was hard to remember, but now it's automatic.  If I have to travel on an airplane at some point, I'll get a cuff.  LE sounds pretty bad and I would rather avoid it.

Welcome home, Chevy!

WW weigh in today.  According to my scale, I'm down 5 lbs from last Mon. 

• bonnets
    edited October 2012

Morning Ladies,

Haven't been here in a few days, manage to keep busy. Got my lovely temp x's thursday, go back for the trial run this friday. Start rads a week from today.

Won a day cruse on the Hudson from a local radio dtation, it was yesterday. About the time the cruise was over it cleared up and was lovely. I really enjoy the river. Joan, I'm not all that far from you, in orange co. Colors starting to get  good up here, if the rains dont  make any more drop.

We will be flying in Jan, wondering if i shud get a sleeve. Where do you get them? My surgeon doesn't seem to worry about LE, but I do. Seroma is nearly gone, much more comfortable. See most of us were blessed to fall in the  early /small range. I about grab women on the street to say get your mammo:) My daughter was 5cm when she was diagnosed. As with most young women, since they usually hhaven't had a mammo. 

Better get going, got seniors today. Hugs, Jean 

• mommarch
    edited October 2012

Went to see my NP this morning.  She says I have chronic fatigue syndrom from the chemo.  She gave me a B12 shot, wants me on 1mg of folic acid a day, will start effexor 37.5 mg's tomorrow, wants me to change to Multi vitamin with Iron take twice a day along with 600 mg of calcium caltrate twice a day.  Keep taking the ambien so I can keep getting a good nights sleep.

Hopefully some how I will get  back some energy and depression will be better. NP says ONC takes care of the cancer and then she mops up the rest.  That is about the truth.

I hope everyone has a good day.

• Chevyboy
    edited October 2012

Well, we are almost ready to leave here....Cry..... But I'll be so glad to get home & see our pooch!

Weather is really humid.... Man, my hair just frizzles out straight!   It really gets hot in the afternoons, but otherwise just perfect.

I'll write more later to you gals.... You know, I thought about a sleeve, and I think if I went to a medical supply place, they would fit me for one.... That's where I bought the good compression stockings.... they help keep my one ankle from swelling.

Jean, I'm going to have another mammogram soon, so I'll ask about my ever-continuing seroma also.... I'll see if it has "changed" ...  It's just a nuisance mostly.  And it's been almost 3 years since I was first diagnosed....!  I'm very lucky, fortunate, and just plain thankful!

• edithesther
    edited October 2012

Hi, fellow mature ladies. Went to see Oncologist today. Start chemo 30th of this month so there goes my lovely Halloween with the Granddaughters :-(. If I put on here what they are giving me would be sooo grateful for any feed back if any of you have had these.

First three,epirubicin ( pharmorubicin ). Then next three, cmf or known also as 5fu.

Any advice would be much appreciated. So afraid now stiff upper lip has broken into pieces.

• bonnets
    edited October 2012

Edith,

No need for the stiff upper lip here. Hope things go well for you. Hugs , Jean 

• Cindi74
    Cindi74 Member Posts: 69
    edited October 2012

Edith,  I'm not having the same chemo as you, and each body and treatment reacts differently.  One advice.  Get a port.  I love mine.  All blood draws and chemo through port.  NO pain.

Secondly,  my fear going into chemo very high.  Then chemo was a breeze.  I still take anxiety pill on that day.  5.5 hours first chemo.  5 hours second.  Me calm as a breeze.  I take warm house shoes, lap robe, shawl, reading material computer, ice to keep in my mouth during chemo, and sandwich bags of ice for nails (cut out fingertips from pair of old gloves).  I eat a big breakfast before going, and have found that 3 Emend pills took care of nausea pbm.  Good luck and no side effects.

• edithesther
    edited October 2012

Bonnets, thank you, will try and be brave but feel as if I am unravelling like my knitting.

Cindy, Of course now I have thought about it everyone is different. Just reading up on the port. Bit worried about how you shower with it in ? Looks good tho, it seems my chemo should take about an hour at a time so not to bad. DH is dreadful, don't think that is helping. Wish I could just go away have the treatment and then come back, Will enquire about the anxiety tablets. Almost missed appointment today as couldn't stop running to toilet.

Bless u all.

• illinoislady
    edited October 2012

edithester.... I would have to read up on your chemo, but for many people it is more a bump in the road.  There are a lot of different kinds of chemo and  some are combined as well.  They never work quite the same on anyone.   Having to do chemo is scary -- so many of us were certain we would go in "the dreaded chemo room" and, and, and.....well, something terrible would happen.   After my first session was done I wondered how I could have ever gotten myself in such a state over it.  I'm not trying to minimize anything but just a reminder that it seems so overwhelming at first. 

All the people on your team want you to do well, and they should be very willing to help you.  I think most of the places that do chemo have a pamphlet or small book to help you prepare.  Cindi has given you some really great advice.  So, even if you are given materials where you take your chemo getting some prep help from others is invaluable.  I had mine so long enough ago that I don't think I would be much help.  

I hated the idea of having to do chemo but realized that not doing it was out of the question. Ports are great.  I was not given that option, but it is an easier way and most of the people I knew had them.  

We will be here with you.  Hopefully someone here has had what your getting.  I had 4 rounds of Adrimyicin and Cytoxin and then after that 4 rounds of Taxotere.  None of it went down real well, but I was a hard case, and the good news is......there is in general a short time span to do this.  My chemo lasted for 6 months since I had it every three weeks.  It did not seem like much of a time period to give up to get well since I had all those wonderful years before ( about 61 or so ) and that is how I made myself see things.  Give up a tiny bit of time, a few scants months in order to be well again and return to my life as near to the way it was as I could.  

I'll be thinking of you.  

Hugs, Jackie 

• mommarch
    edited October 2012

Edith, my thoughts and prayers are with you.  I did very well though chemo, ONC said I should be a poster child.  My problems are the after effects.  Most of this is from the side effects of Tamoxifen. 

My Chemo center actually gave us lunch if we were in chemo during that time from around 11:30 to 1:30, just a light lunch of sandwiches, chips and some sort of sweet.  They even gave lunch to whoever was with you.  

It is not easy and you will feel bad, but you will get through it.  Forget about that stiff upper lip, just cry as much as you need and complain as much as you want.  I know if you are like me you have heard alot of copmlaining from your family over the years, now it is their turn to hear it from you.

Hugs to you 

• mommarch
    edited October 2012

Oh, & Edith, go for the port, it is a great tool, I watched alot of people have it by IV and could not even imagine doing that.  The port is so non invasive, and the surgery to have it put in is almost nothing.  They put mine in the day before my first chemo.  I waited a few months before I had it removed, they removed it in the surgeons office.

Hugs again! 

• joan811
    edited October 2012

Hi Edith, sorry you have to be here and start chemo....I did not take it with a low Onco score even though the MO left it up to me.  Figure that....she has years of education and she left it to me....I had such fear of doing chemo and such fear of not doing it.  I got more opinions and found it wouldn't benefit me.
    Try not to count yourself out for activities yet, Edith.  My colleague was dx'd right after I was, and she managed to teach college chemistry through her chemo.  She didn't like it but it's all behind her now.  Hugs and prayers....  I can not imagine the first time walking in to the treatment room.  But then, we have all had to do hideous things we never believed we'd do (biopsies, guide wires, 30 days of rads....).  I always opt for anti-anxiety pill for any procedure. 

Jean, you are not that far away.  I've been your way many times.  The leaves must be pretty there...it's still green here - no frost yet. The Island is always warmer.
    Jean, you also mentioned how fortunate or blessed that some of us are to be in the early/small stage.  I understand exactly what you mean....I made a similar comment on another thread and got blasted out of the water for even thinking that anyone who has cancer could be blessed.  I wrote an acknowledgement of their feelings but I will not return to that thread.  So glad to find that this seems to be a place of acceptance for our different experiences.
    Hugs and good night all
    Joan
    (PS - 2 AM .. cannot sleep from leftover cold.  Have to get up and work in a few hours)

• edithesther
    edited October 2012

Got up this morning after a really good night's sleep. Logged on and all you beautiful ladies have lifted my spirits back up again.

Illinois lady. Think the fact that like you, have had many good years , 64 in fact and was now looking forward to doing more of what I want to do at last ,is a good reason for getting on with it. DH seems unhappy with the fact that six months to end of treatment. We had plans, don't we all ? I have spent 43 years looking after everyone else, have decided now my turn. Nursed him through a breakdown for a year while bringing up three children and holding down a full time job.

Monmarch, will try and be poster girl like you, spoke to lovely lady yesterday 20 years out,the way she spoke about treatment room sounds like 5 star hotel !! Lunch served too if there at that time. She was very reassuring as are all of you. Think the port sounds good option. Have day of pre treatment checks and chats next Tuesday so will ask more about it, don't really want in back of hand I bruise easily and  hand looked as if I had been hit with a hammer after my operation.As for the crying and complaining I just hold it all in no point in letting go DH loses it and keeps saying stop crying. Wait til he's not here then howl.

Joan, my onco score was just over borderline so Dr recommended chemo I am hormone neg so no tablets will do any good. With chemo extra 5 0/0 chance of being well in 10 yrs from now.Going to do as much as possible i.e. going out, nurse said no reason not to in between treatments so watch out world here I come ( hopefully )Enquiring about anti anxiety tablets too thanks.

Blowing a gale here at moment cold and wet, I have dwarf pampas grass in front garden every year as the grasses fluff out the wind gets up and breaks them. Enjoying them before that happens. Off to Mr Men afternoon with 5 yr old Granddaughter this afternoon, looking forward to it.

Hope you all have a lovely Tuesday, and thanks again.