Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• edithesther
    edithesther Member Posts: 56
    edited October 2012

wow girls is there anything that isn't good for us anymore ?

Love tofu and soy sauce in my fried rice. Wonder if BC worse in countries like China or in our Chinese communities. I worked in a Chinese restaurant for 26 years and ate their food about twice a week for all that time. Is it just not advised after diagnosis and whilst on treatment ?

We have been told good chance of snow here by the end of the week ! Getting to hospital for chemo next week is going to be even more fun than before on our dreadful roads which become like ice rinks due to lack of grit etc.( they never have it in the depots in time ) 

Going for pre chemo check tomorrow. Then lesson on how to tie scarves and info on wigs Wednesday. What a mad social whirl !!

Got GD this afternoon as half term here. DH has bought her a set of Russian Dolls, red ( her favourite colour ) with blond hair same as she has. Can't wait to see her face, love E.Bay ! tried to win some others for weeks then got them brand for  new free delivery from China for £ 5.00. Won't tell her that and spoil her dream that they came from Russia with love.

Hope you are all having good Monday and Rads go well Bonnets.

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,585
    edited October 2012

The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised.
    -- George F. Will

• illinoislady
    edited October 2012

pt dreamers....we also have coconut milk in our stores here.  It's ok as is the almond milk.  Maybe a sign of age, I seldom even think of reaching for anything but the light silk soy as it is such a habit.  I probably would worry more if I actually drank/used a whole lot of milk.  I know a few adults who still have a huge glass of milk often for meals.  Most Dr.'s would never go for such a thing. 

I hope you all have a fantastic day.  Might rain here later....rats.  I'd like it to stay a little dryer.

Hugs, Jackie

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited October 2012

Chevyboy,

I have been on Cenestin for 12 years. It is a yam, plant based estrogen. I started shortly after my hystorectomy in the 90s. Now they want me off of it even though my BC was ER/PR neg. My body is having an awful time coming down in dose and trying to get off. My naturopath says I can still take natural hormones but my OC says no way. Who knows what is right.

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited October 2012

Bunkie....sometimes, we just have to figure it out ourselves....  Like I did, stopping Tamoxifen.   But I think I would trust my OC, or my PC over your naturopath, since you had cancer.  It just doesn't seem like THAT would hurt you! 

Can you bring up how you are feeling with your Oncologist or PC?  Tell them that little amount of plant based estrogen just helped you feel better.  And have you looked into taking DimPlus?  That works probably about the same as your Cenestin.....Also Turmeric, Grape Seed extract, and Vit. D3 are supposed to be good for us too.  I take it and don't tell anyone! Wink  Ask what that Cenestin would interfere with.  If you feel better taking it, and it is natural, I would dig my heels in, and  probably take it anyway....Just don't tell....ha!  I think most just want us to take a multi-vitamin, and D3.

Bonnets.... I understand.  I would not take Tamoxifen either.  I could hear just fine, until I took Tamoxifen.  I'm not telling anyone else not to take it, but it wasn't worth it for me.  I took it for 14 months, and one morning I could not hear.... Took it for another month, because my PC said it must be allergies, and to take all that other stuff for that.... But finally went to an ENT, and he told me 100% word recognition hearing loss in my left ear, but only 50 in my right.  "Permanent Hearing Loss"....due to nerve damage....  So you are right... It COULD cause problems with you too....

I feel so bad for your Daughter's.  Maybe their ears formed differently...there are so many parts in our inner-ears... and they are all very fragile.  I think I remember how proud of them you are.... and about how much they have accomplished!    You really ARE blessed.... just like I am, and I know things could be worse.

So I'm baking some Brownies....Innocent And just in case they were a little fattening, I also added slivered Almonds, and dried cranberries, to at least make them healthy!  Ha, ha!   They smell soooooo good!   I have enough for all you guys, if you want some! 

• Chevyboy
    edited October 2012

• GramE
    GramE Member Posts: 2,234
    edited October 2012

Dang, I am allergic to choc and almonds.  You can fight over who gets mky share...!!

• Chevyboy
    edited October 2012

Okay Gram.... I made some goat-cheese spread mixed with cream cheese, and steak seasoning, and onion bits!  And it's good with Stacey's Pita Chips.... Want some of that?  Wink

• bonnets
    bonnets Member Posts: 737
    edited October 2012

Chevy,

MMMM good, I just finished dinner, and am a chocoholic. Thanks!

Had  first rads, only 29 more to go. Got early morning appts, so  I can have the rest of the day free. Tomorrow got to go to medicare  insurance meeting, since Empire BC will no longer have  our Advantage policy in  this area. Went to AARP's last week, their Advantage doesnt include our  doctors  group, which is the largest in the area. Fun and games.

Today was beautiful, tomorrow more rain, read there is a new tropical storm iin the Atlantic wjhich may be a  monster! Hope not, This fall has been  spectacular. 

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,114
    edited October 2012

Yum...  Those brownies look good!

Weighed in at WW and was down another 2 lbs.  5.6 lbs in two weeks.

We used the Silk soy milk for a number of years before I got bc.  It tastes really good.  But I haven't bought any since my BC dr. advised me against consuming soy.  Currently I'm buying non-fat organic milk. 

• mommarch
    mommarch Member Posts: 534
    edited October 2012

Was trying to watch the debate, but hubby yelling at the TV so decided I did not need to listen to that.  I have my choice, but all I can do is vote and then wait and see.

I am feeling better, not crying or almost going to sleep at the wheel on the way home.

We went and gathered yucca yesterday got a pickup load.  Hubby's knee is really bothering him, looks like it will probably have to be replaced.  I love the solitude in the desert in the morning, nothing like it.  Saw two heards of Antalope, they are so neat. Vultures have left the mountains for the winter now, Ravens have moved in.

Everyone take care and hope we make it through the election in one piece.

• Chevyboy
    edited October 2012

Yes, we survived another debate....whew!  Funny how reading "the other two threads" makes you think that THEIR guy came out on top.  I haven't been as wound up as those women since.... never!  Only one guy is going to pull it off, but the crazy thing is, HE can't pull both parties together, to carry out his plans.  I still say, we should not have two parties that can fight over everything tooth and nail. 

We should have a Presidential vote, only for the best, most qualified person in America.   And maybe even the runner-up be Vice President.  THAT way big oil, unions, big everything wouldn't throw their money around to one party to buy the votes.  Is this making too much sense?  I'll show em'!

No one person can be expected to know everything about the economy, foreign affairs, military spending, health care, and everything else we entrust him with.  He has to work with other people, congress and the senate....  So if there were no "parties" they couldn't follow their party-thinking!  They could just support that one person who is our President.  Well, it makes sense to me.

Mommarch...glad to hear that a few "sometimes" are better.  You know, that knee replacement surgery went good for my Dad!  He was up and walking that same night.  I know they are all different, and you wouldn't want to do BOTH at the same time, but his went well.

And at least you can enjoy your beautiful yucca outings!   I found a dead little dove in our front yard...I think the damn Crows did it!  Those guys are just plain mean!  They chased an owl out of our tree, that was just hanging around! 

And congratulations Carole!  It is so fun to see that weight drop off!  No Brownies for you.... Have you tried their Key Lime Pie recipe...It is DELICIOUS! 

Okay gals..... Have a happy Tuesday!

• Chevyboy
    edited October 2012

• Kaara
    Kaara Member Posts: 2,101
    edited October 2012

Which reality show is more rooted in reality....The Presidential Debate...or....DWTS?  I think DWTS!

I'm glad the debates are over and the election is near.  I'm sick of the whole thing.  I'm voting absentee...don't even want to take my time to go down to the polls and stand in line.

Carole:  Congratulations on your weight loss!  Keep up the good eating!

Chevy:  The brownies look good...I used to buy mine at the local grocery here in NC...with cream cheese icing...yummy!  Now I'm lucky if I can get in a piece of red velvet cake now and then.  My weight has remained stable and I want to keep it that way.

We switched to almond milk and it tastes the same as soy to me.  Also I use coconut water in my green smoothie in the morning.  It's supposed to be very good in that it's anti inflamatory and anti fungal....at least that's what they said at Costco....lol!  I have now started using an estriol suppository recommended for bc survivors.  It has made a huge difference and as far as I'm concerned worth the risk, but that's just me...I wouldn't recommend it for anyone else.

• Chevyboy
    edited October 2012

Ha, ha Kaara, that's funny!!  Actually DWTS is more reality.....  I always wonder if I'm voting for the right guy!  I can listen and study all I want, and still don't know what or who to believe!  I DO believe I have good health care, and I know the war that was there when Obama took office is almost over,  and I KNOW every company is NOT required to have unionized members.  That just reminds me of a dictatorship.  So, for me, I would be afraid of a "change."  Maybe things could have been better the last 4 years, but it seems to me, that building a whole perfect country, one that pleases EVERYbody would take longer than 4 years!  That's just me.

• illinoislady
    edited October 2012

All the statistics in the world can’t measure the warmth of a smile. -Chris Hart

• BUNKIE10
    edited October 2012

Chevyboy,

Thanks I am going to ask the OC when this is done. I will check out DimPlus. Cenistin is synthetic but plant based. I am still on it but dropping a dose every few weks till off.

Brownies sound good right now.

• edithesther
    edited October 2012

Chevy, brownies look gorgeous, here in England brownies are little girls in uniform who do good deeds. Think you call them girl scouts ? Yours look better. ha ha.

Carole well done with weight loss, it is so hard but worth it.

Monmarch, glad you feel bit brighter. Nice to see hubby's yelling at the TV  is not just in our house. I just wish TV would yell right back one day !! The description of the desert sounds really magical.Hope hubby's knee gets sorted soon.

Went to pre chemo clinic this morning. Lovely nurse spent an hour explaining everything that will happen, then she answered all my questions which put my mind at rest. Not half as afraid as I was, just want to get on and get it over with.

Turning quite cold here, they say we may have snow by weekend. Will have to sort out thermal underwear, best thing ever invented. Electric blanket goes on every night and fleecy pyjamas so cosy. Going to make a mug of hot cocoa and turn up fire.

Happy Tuesday everyone.

• BUNKIE10
    edited October 2012

Kara whats in your green smoothie?

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,922
    edited October 2012

Bunkie, I would demand an explanation of the reasoning behind removing estrogen when triple negative. Are they thinking a recurrance might be more likely if you continue estrogen?

• wren44
    edited October 2012

Edithester, We have brownies here also. Or we had them when I was young because I was one. It's for girls too young for scouts. I quit when they made me make a needle holder.

• Chevyboy
    edited October 2012

I had a little spare time today......

• edithesther
    edited October 2012

wren 44 our brownies become guides when they are bigger. I too got fed up then when badges had to be earned and we discovered Boy scouts ,they were more interesting ha ha.

Just watching your race for the whitehouse. Isn't it about time a Female had a go ? Chevy would be perfect. About time the men took a back seat.That goes for the whole world by the way.

Watching sky news at the moment, gosh how depressing ,not one happy thing or good news about anything, think I will go to bed early. Night night. 

• carolehalston
    edited October 2012

Mommarch, what a beautiful description of being in the desert.  Nature is endlessly wonderful as well as terrifying at times.

Chevy, it should be illegal to post pictures like brownies and cakes!

Yes, Kaara, what's in your green smoothie?

We didn't watch the debate last night.  Politics lost out to live sports.  The baseball playoff and a football game.  Dh and I already know we're voting for Obama just for the principle of voting.  Louisiana is solidly "red" and its few electoral votes will go to Romney.  But from what I heard from the talking heads on tv this morning, Romney came across as much more moderate than he has in his stump speeches.  That's reassuring to me.  I'd hate to get another George W. Bush in office.  The last thing we need is to go invading other Arab countries.  I'm for pulling out of Afghanistan as quickly as possible because we cannot change those Arab cultures with their tribalism.  They have no concept of "nation" and cannot be molded into democracies.  With that said, I feel deeply sorry for Arab women and girls. 

Had a nice day with my mother today.  Took her to a dr.'s apptment, bought her groceries from a list while she waited in the car.  She chose not to go in and ride around in a scooter.  We picked up lunch at Olive Garden.  She ate the pasta and shrimp and I ate the garden salad! 

Edith, glad you're feeling better about the chemo.  It's the unknown that really frightens us.

Hi to all.

• Chevyboy
    edited October 2012

Exactly Carole!  I want all our boys home.... Right now, is not soon enough!  I hate when we have to go to war in another country, to protect "them"!  I know it is the "American" thing to do.... But let's CHANGE that!  Let's support THEM by making them learn how to take care of themselves.  Is that just too much to ask?   Isn't that what we are doing now?

Yes,  Edith... maybe it IS time for a female to show these guys!   I'm too busy.... too much cooking and baking and gardening and whining to do, Ha! 

Carole.... wish I still had my Mom....  I ran across a bunch of poems she had saved.... They still make me cry....  I kept a bunch of them, stuck in my vanity mirror....My favorite one of all is one she wrote on a little slip of paper.... "The greatest gift, is a hand to hold"....

My friend just sent me this.... http://www.starspangledbannerchallenge.com/

• wren44
    edited October 2012

Chevy, I think we should change the national anthem to America the Beautiful. It celebrates the beauty of America. Best of all it can be sung by ordinary people. Very few people can sing the national anthem because the voice range is so large. It's ok in large groups where people can just go silent during the parts their voice won't do.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited October 2012

Just read up on all the posts....Chevy, thanks for sharing the goodies....
    Bonnets, glad you are off and running on the rads countdown calendar.  I hardly remember commuting to rads every day....it was just a priority for awhile.  I do think of the rad techs often....they treated me as though I was their only patient.  I also think of the lovely ladies I met in the waiting room....so many of them facing a mountain 1000 times bigger than anything I've faced.  I wrote their names in my phone each week so I'd remember them...  the time does go by rather quickly.
    I do love the description of peace on the desert...thanks, Momarch.  Just today I was looking at my photos from my recent trip to So. Colorado...where my lifelong friend and I sat on her deck at night (at 9,000 feet) and bundled in blankets, we listened to the elk bugling and calling one another from across the meadows.  It is good to take time away from being busy...
    Good night for now,
    Joan

• carolehalston
    edited October 2012

Up at 6:30 am this morning.  It was dark!  Gradually getting light.  Joan, I like your memory of sitting on the deck and listening to elk bugle out there somewhere.  I'm up early for an 8:20 tee time.  Our days are still warm, in the 80's, but cooler weather is on the way, so the weatherman on the tv screen tells me.

Hope everyone has a good day.

• Chevyboy
    edited October 2012

Morning all.... Carole, I'm up early too!  Wink Going to meet some older friends for breakfast that I used to work with.... It's always fun.

Wren, your memory sounds beautiful!  Were you in or around Estes Park?  I know this is that time of year to hear the Elk, also on Trail-ridge road, and on up into Grand-lake!  Trail-ridge road, and Mt. Evans are closed now, for the Winter....  But that is always a beautiful area.

I know Wren!  I still get chills when I watch Nascar, and them singing the National Anthem, and then the planes from that area fly overhead at just the right time... So proud to be an American....

Okay, gotta get ready.... I think I'll have the Chili Rellano breakfast again, with hash-browns and onions, eggs, and that green-chili over the top of everything.... I take home at least half, for tomorrow! 

• ptdreamers
    ptdreamers Member Posts: 639
    edited October 2012

When I am an old woman I shall wear purple With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me. And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves And satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter.  I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells And run my stick along the public railings And make up for the sobriety of my youth.  I shall go out in my slippers in the rain And pick the flowers in other peoples' gardens And learn to spit.  You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat And eat three pounds of sausages at a go Or only bread and pickles for a week And hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes.  But now we must have clothes that keep us dry And pay our rent and not swear in the street And set a good example for the children. We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.  But maybe I ought to practice a little now? So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.  ~ Jenny Joseph   Art by Inge Look, via ingelook.com -For all my "sisters"