Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited October 2012

Chevy, yup, I am on south shore of Long Island (east end) and when I look at the weather maps, I feel really small!  So far, wind is picking up a bit.
    Cam, the storm is 1,000 miles from one end to the other.  Right now it's headed for So. NJ, but it's big enough to affect areas from Virginia to Boston at once.

Getting back to the nostalgia, I remember a wringer washer in my basement.  The first fridge I remember had a little cold area to make ice cubes but no other freezer space.  When mom finally got a full width freezer with separate door, we had a lot of ice cream.  Smile

• GramE
    GramE Member Posts: 2,234
    edited October 2012

Schools closed here and 5-10 inches of rain forecast.   Rain now, but not hard.  Windy with some gusts.  So far so good.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited October 2012

Bonnets, I know how you feel about rads...I am sure you'd like to get the rads over with sooner than later especially with holidays ahead.  I guess you'll have to wait and see what the storm brings.  So far, not much going on here on L.I. but I cannot see the beach...all roads to the beach closed early Sunday.
    Hope we can stay connected. I'd miss the internet too.
    GramE - wow that's a lot of rain predicted...my DD is in DC so will hear from her tomorrow.  I saw VA coastal flooding on the news here.
    Carol, so nice that your mom can enjoy her 6 children.  What a blessing.  I have 6 and not easy to get everyone together.
    More storm stories tomorrow,I fear...

• bonnets
    bonnets Member Posts: 737
    edited October 2012

Still waiting for Sandy. My DD is in Western Maryland, guess they will miss the snow, but maybe more rain than here! Take care everyone. Joan stay away from the beach... Hopefully be here later.

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited October 2012

Joan, where do you live? I'm in southampton.

Susannah

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,114
    edited October 2012

Bonnets, Joan, Susannah, and GramE, I hope you stay safe and comfortable during the storm.  I can definitely empathize.  We could use some of the rain down here but not gusts of wind and flooding.

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited October 2012

Thanks carol!

• Kaara
    Kaara Member Posts: 2,101
    edited October 2012

Stay safe everyone if you are in the storm path!  Listen to the reports and heed the evacuation warnings!  This from an experienced hurricane survivor who lived in both Houston Texas and S. Florida for many years!  The one good thing about a hurricane is that you have enough warning to take precautions...unlike earthquakes and sometimes tornadoes.  Take advantage of that opportunity!

Last night we watched The Time Travelers Wife...a great love story...very sad, but worth watching.  I picked up a copy of that and also Gone With The Wind at the grocery store for $5.99 each.  I felt they were both classics and worth having in our library of videos.  Our Netflix are on hold until we return to Florida which will be tomorrow...that is if the weather holds.

It was windy and cold here this morning and all the leaves are off the trees and blown into the next county...LOL!  Yea...no need to rake and leave for pickup!  Lucky us!  

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,585
    edited October 2012

"Those who contemplate the beauty of the earth find reserves
    of strength that will endure as long as life lasts. There is
    something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of
    nature -- the assurance that dawn comes after night, and
    spring after winter."

-- Rachel Carson

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711
    edited October 2012

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited October 2012

Hi gals!  I am so thankful for today!  I got the WITS scared out of me earlier.  My Daughter was at the eye Docs.  She has had Lasik surgery, and getting them checked.  We had made plans for me to meet her AFTER, at a Philly Steak place.... So I went shopping at Ross, which was real close to where we were supposed to meet.  I called her cell while I was there, and then again when I was leaving.  One of the Salesgals told me where this amazing Philly Steak place was.... I started leaving messages on my Daughter's cell phone!  Again while I was there, after I was through, and I left to just take them to her house!  Left 3 more messages!  Called the Eye place.... "Left 45 minutes ago!"  WTH???????  I could NOT reach her!  I wanted to call the Police...I was just sure she was on the highway, and could not get home!!!  I was getting ready to just panic!  I waited outdoors for her!!!  FINALLY she called my cell.... I just cried.  She could not talk while on the highway, and dropped her phone, could not pull off, and the battery fell out.... She called me from the Ross store!  Looking for me!  I sobbed, "WHERE ARE YOU???????"   She came right to her house, and by God I thought I would just  squeeze her to death!!!   I've never been so scared in my life! 

She explained she could not get her phone to work, not to mention listen to my messages.......She finally fooled around with it, called me, and saved my life....Ha!  Wink  Does there EVER come a time, when your kids just don't make you worry any more?

Camille, that cartoon was just so cute.... I love things like that! 

Jackie, I love that quote...everytime you post one, I just stop..... read it & really "listen" to them.... so thank you, as always!

Oh man, the rest of you guys are on the LAST page!   Except Kaara!  Yes, leaves!  We still have some around!  But it won't be long.... that last storm and freeze made some red and yellow Maples just drop their leaves overnight!  .... Okay, I'll submit this, then go back to read, and edit this one!  I'LL show it!

• Chevyboy
    edited October 2012

Okay Edith.... We stayed in a nice hotel one time, and the seat was HEATED!  Ha!  I couldn't believe it!  But I order toilet seat covers from this place... Not lid covers, but the actual seat!  They are terry cloth, and fit very nicely!  Because our bathroom, gets very cool when the temps drop down below 30 degrees.... It's not outdoors, but darned near....Undecided

Carole, it's always so nice when you talk about your Mom!  You are very lucky.... I know those of us that don't have our Mom with us, miss them terribly.

Bonnets and Joan....Hope you guys are not having many problems!  I've been watching the Weather Channel most of the day, and last night.... That crane that fell over in NY City, is still just hanging there????  Wow! 
    And Joan, the only ice-cubes we could have were when we chipped some off that big ice-block!  I still have that old ice-pick, Ha!  AND I used my Mom's wringer washer!  Until one day, since it was supposed to be plugged into a floor plug, I plugged it in, and I flew across the kitchen and into the refrigerator!  Evidently the floor plug was wet, and resented any attempt to have a plug put in it!

It was then I got a real automatic washer, but not a dryer until about 20 years ago.  We just always had clothes-lines.

Gram.... I saw a broadcast from Virginia Beach, and it was a BLIZZARD! 

Okay friends...stay safe... We'll understand if we don't hear from you! 

• carolehalston
    edited October 2012

WW weigh-in today.  I am down another lb.  Yay!

This thread does not look "right" on my computer screen.  And yet my other thread does look normal.  Very odd.

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,922
    edited October 2012

Does anyone know where BCO is located? I'm thinking Philly, but not sure where I got that idea. Won't we all be sunk if they lose their power?

I read a book by people who spent a year in Unalakleet, Alaska while filming about sled dogs. They ordered a toilet seat for their outhouse (50 gal oil drum there). They kept it inside by the fire and only took it outside to use it. They were the envy of the village.

• camillegal
    edited October 2012

Hi girls.---Chevyboy I would have been hystericl too--I don't care how old our kids are I always hear myself say be careful still. I'm glad everything was all right.

And Carol yayayay for the weight loss--it's so hard.

I feel so tired today, really tired.

Everyone stay safe with this stupid storm.

• Kaara
    Kaara Member Posts: 2,101
    edited October 2012

Chevy:  My daughter has done that to me so many times I could kill her!  I'm at the point that if I don't hear from her now, I just assume she is "busy"...I had to stop upsetting myself over it.  But of course you still worry.  

Leaving for Florida early in the morning...expecting snow here....low 30's....too cold for me...LOL!

• camillegal
    edited October 2012

Kaara have a safe trip and I don'tblame u. LOL

• Chevyboy
    edited October 2012

Thanks gals.... thought I was over the worrying like that!  She SHOULD have just called me when she left the Eye Docs... Instead of trying to fool around with her phone while on the road!  And she doesn't "listen" to her voice mail!  Those "kids" only text all the time!  So this morning I am going to remind her again of the "frightful" thing she did!  Damn kids....Wink 

Camille, where in Florida are you going?  I LOVE the climate there...especially this time of year.  Except our other Daughter keeps the house so cold, DH had to go outdoors to get warm!  I asked her kindly, could you please turn the frost maker down a tad?  Your Dad is freezing to death!   We shut the overhead vents off in "our" bedroom!  And we slept under comforters!  We had to come back to Denver to get warm, Ha!

I'm so sorry about the storms!  That's all I've been watching on TV....except that DWTS and Peta and Gilles!  Holy Canoli !  Now THAT  man just it all.... AND a bag of chips!

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,585
    edited October 2012

Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience.
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

• carolehalston
    edited October 2012

Yesterday morning and again this morning I turned on the heat for a few minutes to take the chill out of the house!  It's bright and sunny out.  Except for a trip to the nearby Winn Dixie to get some fruit, I plan to stay home today. 

Boy, has Sandy wreaked havoc on the east coast.  Billions of dollars in damage.  So far I haven't heard of any loss of human lives so that's good.  Hope our ladies on this thread are all ok.

Wishing everyone a blessed day.

• Chevyboy
    edited October 2012

Caroe, there have been a lot of lives lost.... I've been watching the weather channel, also the local news.... It's been so devastating, and still going on!

• camillegal
    edited October 2012

Oh I'm ot goig to Florida, I think u have me cofused with Kaara--they were leaving this morning. So they are on the road now--but so much is clsed around FL I don't know how that trip will be for her.

And yes I was so sorry to hear how lives were lost --I know it could have been worse but even 1 life is to many. It's just so sad--Material things are just that, but when lives are lost it's orrendous.

too many crazy things are going on.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,524
    edited October 2012

Hi All, we are working on the format issue! Sorry !

• camillegal
    edited October 2012

I'm sorry mods---I don't know what I did wrong.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,524
    edited October 2012

It actually is fine now Wink

• camillegal
    edited October 2012

Can I test aother pic and see if it enlares itself, or be normal--U know I'm all about pics.???

MODS ^^^^^^^^^^

• edithesther
    edithesther Member Posts: 56
    edited October 2012

Watching the news, Manhatten skyline in darkness ! Patients being moved from hospital without power.! Can't believe mother nature can cause such havoc but should know better. Hope all those affected will get back to something resembling normality as soon as possible. Hope all of you on here are safe.

Had first chemo today, nothing like I had imagined. Much better ,I hasten to add. Back home having lunch and at the moment don't feel any different than I did before I went. Hope it stays that way.

• Chevyboy
    edited October 2012

Things my Mother Taught me! - funny pictures kitten toy mouse

• camillegal
    edited October 2012

I love that pic.  it's so cute.

Oh Edith I'm so glad that first one is over--It's like getting the firs green olive out of the bottle, once it happens the others just keep o going. And I'm happy u'r feeling ood, hopefully it stays that way for u. Everyone is different.

• edithesther
    edithesther Member Posts: 56
    edited October 2012

Love that pic too !!

Cammillegal, thanks I agree, first one the scariest I am sure. Not counting any chickens yet but going to do my darndest to get through this with as few complications as possible.

Probably on here tomorrow feeling sorry for myself if the poop hits the fan.( Hope it isn't  real poop !) lol.Going to open a jar of olives, really fancy some now.

peaceful night and happy day tomorrow to you all.