Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711
    edited November 2012

OH just reading about u 2 I'm tired--how could u do all that work and still type just going out  made me tired. Wow

And mommarch I never had that, but I would imagine it takes a while to completely heal especially when u'r doing all that u do. But if it persists call u'r Dr. and at least tell how u feel.

I went to my nieces house and did nothing but eat and zi'm still so tired LOL But u guys sound like u had a good day and so did I. Good

• Kaara
    Kaara Member Posts: 2,101
    edited November 2012

Nice to read all the Thanksgiving stories.  Mine was similar...dinner at DD's and she did a wonderful job.  I was in charge of clean up.  She informed me when I arrived that the dishwasher and disposal were both broken:(  Oh well...I donned rubber gloves and got to work.  She uses every pot in the house to cook, so it was challenging to keep up.

All in all it was a very wonderful day and I enjoyed seeing my DGC!  They are all so special!

• GramE
    GramE Member Posts: 2,234
    edited November 2012

I too had a wonderful day with son, dil, 2 grand babes.    Food was great and left overs will be enjoyed -- even if I was the chief cook !!!   They cleaned up, loaded dishwasher and even did pots and pans while I cuddled the 11 week old baby.    Lots to be thankful for.    

• bonnets
    bonnets Member Posts: 737
    edited November 2012

Went to  step daughters hubby's family. Don't mind not cooking, but NO LEFTOVERS! I'm 70 today, don't feel any older.Had early phone call from the Maryland grands, sang to me! Guess we will be going over to my SD's house. Otherwise quiet day, except for my tinnitus! Beautiful here around 50 again. We better enjoy it.

Hear the deer hunters out. They really get too close to houses around here. Too much development, and they still hunt.

Have a good day. Anyone shopping? Not me!

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,585
    edited November 2012

for the day after Thanksgiving:

To speak gratitude is courteous and pleasant, to enact gratitude is generous and noble, but to live gratitude is to touch Heaven.

~ Johannes Gaertner

• illinoislady
    edited November 2012

I too enjoy reading the " Thanksgiving tales " and it all sounds fantastic.  Dh and I did quite well.  My one cousin.....went to her sister's, and they made up plates for Dh and I so we had ( instead of the tiny replica I had planned ) the whole 9 yards.  It was wonderful.  I'm already thinking Christmas.......when my daughter and SIL will be living here and we will cook here --- just to start a traditon celebrating  ( not that I don't totally love and appreciate the family I do have here ) having a mother and daughter together again.......to do things like make a holiday meal.  We will start making memories all our own.

Glad we are winding down again though......of course, I won't totally wind down until Sunday.  I will work again on Saturday, but then  ----  starting Sunday, back to the regular schedule.  It will be welcome.  At my age....I really need the two days off............though for the most part, only having to work five hours a day as been much more of a blessing than I first realized.  I thought I couldn't exist on less money, but found with careful planning I could do ok. 

Glad to hear you all made great memories.....hmmm, Kaara....maybe a nice X-mas present for your daughter......some repair work so you won't have to by hand everything on the next clean-up cycle there.  Ah.....she will probably have it all fixed by then.   Anyway....glad for everyone. 

Camille.....some energy for you --- I'm putting it on my list for asking gifts from the Universe. 

Hugs, Jackie

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited November 2012

Our Thanksgiving was great!  And DD helped with all the clean-up afterwards.... She washed the dishes, and I put cleaned everything off, and got it put away.  Gave her lots of left-overs.  I even had some for breakfast, ha!  I had mashed potatoes, dressing, with gravy over it!  Better than a "traditional" breakfast.  Wink

And tonight I'm having 1/2 a turkey sandwich with the same as breakfast!  I could eat turkey 3 times a day I think. 

I took her to have her one eye "re-done" with that Lasik surgery.  She has one eye for distance, and the other for close-up.  It works great, but she had to have the "close-up" one redone.  So after a Valium, and 2 Ibuprofen, I got her home, fixed her some lunch...(yep, turkey sandwich, ha!) And she was ready for a nap....   It's amazing that her eye-sight has been bad since she was in grade-school.  Mine & DH's eyes are still really good.... I wear glasses for distance, but I can read the paper, and any book without reading glasses.  I can't HEAR, and my DH can't see close-up, but he can hear, Ha, ha! 

Mommarch, I would check that out, maybe.  Do you mean having lymph nodes removed?  I had 3 removed, but didn't have any problem... 

And Happy Birthday Bonnets!!!!!!!!!!!  No, you won't feel any older, Ha!  It just kind of creeps up on you....  Like if I look back to when I was 65, 10 years ago, I KNOW this many things didn't hurt!  Wink  I don't notice the tinnitis with my hearing aids, but it is always there, when they are out.  And at night, have you tried having a radio on real soft?  I have seen on-line there are "cures" for that, but I don't think I would try any of them.    My oldest Daughter in Orlando has always slept with the TV on.... now THAT would drive me nuts.... but it is a real habit with her.

Jackie.... so glad you can relax soon....   And glad you had a nice Thanksgiving.  I know how special it will be to have your Daughter "home" with you....  Just remember you all need your own space....  Even ME, with DH.... Ha!  You can do things with her, that your DH wouldn't want to!   And maybe your SIL can light a match under your DH..... (okay, now that was funny.)  I mean he can help him out around your place!

Okay gals....  have a good one!

• termite
    termite Member Posts: 238
    edited November 2012

I'm glad everyone had a good Thanksgiving. We had sil and 2 of our sons and family with us this year. DH cooked the meal (he cooks much better than I do) He also put the dishes into the dishwasher and I washed the items that would not fit in the dishwasher. We had a good day.

Had to work today. We were very low in children so it was not worth even being open.

Happy Birthday to everyone with their special day around Thanksgiving.

Mommarch,  I had a lumpectomy with lymph nodes removed on my right side and sometimes my right arm hurts by the shoulder and between the elbow and the shoulder.  Not sure if this is what you are asking about. It is not there all the time. It seems to appear when I either do a lot with my right arm or if I sleep on that side for a long time. I figured if it keeps up I will check with the doctor on my next visit. Hope your arm is feeling better.

Have a great weekend everyone

Emmy

Have a great weekend

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,114
    edited November 2012

I had a good round of golf today.  I really enjoyed being out on the golf course.  I played with two women friends whose company I enjoy. 

For lunch, I had T Day leftovers, a little dressing w/gravy, a dab of sweet potato casserole and a few little pieces of turkey.  Yum, yum.  It tasted good.

Then I ventured out to Hobby Lobby and bought the lighted Christmas tree that dh had scouted out.  Also some other Christmas stuff half price, napkins, paper plates, etc.

When I pulled up in the carport, I could smell the aroma of turkey veggie soup coming from the kitchen.  And that's what's for dinner tonight. 

Looking forward to tomorrow.  Nowhere to go.  If the sun comes out, I may do a little yard work.  Or I may just catch up on laundry and ironing.

Happy Birthday, Bonnets! 

• illinoislady
    edited November 2012

Happy birthday to you Bonnets....and many,many more

Hugs, Jackie

• camillegal
    edited November 2012

Jackie how cute--HAPPY BIRTHDAY BONNETS I hope u'r day was wonderful

I I so enjoyed how nice everyones TG was--Being with friends and family is wonderful and of course food is great.

Woever has to work rest up so u'r in good shape.

• bonnets
    edited November 2012

Thanks for the birthday wishes everyone. 

Jackie, the cake looks yummy. Hope it's Red Velvet!

Got back from dinner at my SD'd, rained  on the way home. Supposed to get colder . Been sooo lovely.

Chevy, I read a lot of the ads on Tinnitus cure, pages of this, that and the other, cure, "just buy my book, to tell you the magic cure." I don't believe them either!

Have a good weekend

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited November 2012

Jean Happy Birthday! I hope you added cake to the turkey hangover!

Wow. Sounds like you will wear 70 very well. I will be 64 Sunday but my 5 year old granddaughter insists I am NOT old. Love that kid :-D

I hope everyone has good memories from this special Thanksgiving.

Life seems more meaningful after BC.

Enjoy a peaceful week end.

Joan

• Chevyboy
    edited November 2012

Happy Saturday everyone.........  One of my friends sent me this......... 

I just don't have any news yet, ha!  But going to do a little shopping today.... I'm looking for some "Neem" oil, to add to the Zinc Oxide and Mentholatum that I rub into my hands... They aren't cracking and peeling as much.... Last night I used Prep H. on them..... and I wear little cotton gloves to keep it on..... whatever works!

Bonnets, do you have some "sweet oil"?  Or that "Calm Ear"  Maybe try a little of that....It really helps mine when they are itching, and loosens any wax, for when I use the ear-candles. .... And it can't hurt!  Just a thought.

Carole, I froze a lot of the brown meat also, AND some white, that we won't use for sandwiches, and I have the best recipe for Turkey A-la King... It was an old recipe from the Denver Dry Goods Co. that they served in the "Tea Room."   It has diced red & green Peppers in it, besides the butter, 1/2 & 1/2  (you can use fat free.... oh never mind.... then there is the butter.... and if you don't do it right, it would taste like .....nothing.") 

But it is the BEST, and you serve it over those little flaky "cups"..... or bisquits!

To Kill an American You probably missed this in the rush of news, but there was actually a report that someone in Pakistan had published in a newspaper, an offer of a reward to anyone who killed an American, any American.

So an Australian dentist wrote an editorial the following day to let everyone know what an American is . So they would know when they found one. (Good one, mate!!!!)

‘An American is English, or French, or Italian, Irish, German, Spanish , Polish, Russian or Greek.  An American may also be Canadian, Mexican, African, Indian, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Australian, Iranian, Asian, or Arab, or Pakistani or Afghan.

An American may also be a Comanche, Cherokee, Osage, Blackfoot, Navaho, Apache, Seminole or one of the many other tribes known as native Americans.

An American is Christian , or he could be Jewish, or Buddhist, or Muslim. In fact, there are more Muslims in America than in Afghanistan . The only difference is that in America they are free to worship as each of them chooses.

An American is also free to believe in no religion. For that he will answer only to God, not to the government, or to armed thugs claiming to speak for the government and for God.

An American lives in the most prosperous land in the history of the world.

The root of that prosperity can be found in the Declaration of Independence , which recognizes the God given right of each person to the pursuit of happiness.

An American is generous. Americans have helped out just about every other nation in the world in their time of need, never asking a thing in return.

When Afghanistan was over-run by the Soviet army 20 years ago, Americans came with arms and supplies to enable the people to win back their country!

As of the morning of September 11, Americans had given more than any other nation to the poor in Afghanistan …

The national symbol of America , The Statue of Liberty , welcomes your tired and your poor, the wretched refuse of your teeming shores, the homeless, tempest tossed. These in fact are the people who built America.

Some of them were working in the Twin Towers the morning of September 11 , 2001 earning a better life for their families. It’s been told that the World Trade Center victims were from at least 30 different countries, cultures, and first languages, including those that aided and abetted the terrorists.

So you can try to kill an American if you must. Hitler did. So did General Tojo , and Stalin , and Mao Tse-Tung, and other blood-thirsty tyrants in the world. But, in doing so you would just be killing yourself. Because Americans are not a particular people from a particular place. They are the embodiment of the human spirit of freedom. Everyone who holds to that spirit, everywhere, is an American.

• Chevyboy
    edited November 2012

7 minutes ago, edited a few seconds ago    by Chevyboy

Happy Saturday everyone.........  One of my friends sent me this.........

I just don't have any news yet, ha!  But going to do a little shopping today.... I'm looking for some "Neem" oil, to add to the Zinc Oxide and Mentholatum that I rub into my hands... They aren't cracking and peeling as much.... Last night I used Prep H. on them..... and I wear little cotton gloves to keep it on..... whatever works!

Bonnets, do you have some "sweet oil"?  Or that "Calm Ear"  Maybe try a little of that....It really helps mine when they are itching, and loosens any wax, for when I use the ear-candles. .... And it can't hurt!  Just a thought.

Carole, I froze a lot of the brown meat also, AND some white, that we won't use for sandwiches, and I have the best recipe for Turkey A-la King... It was an old recipe from the Denver Dry Goods Co. that they served in the "Tea Room."   It has diced red & green Peppers in it, besides the butter, 1/2 & 1/2  (you can use fat free.... oh never mind.... then there is the butter.... and if you don't do it right, it would taste like .....nothing.")

But it is the BEST, and you serve it over those little flaky "cups"..... or bisquits!

To Kill an American You probably missed this in the rush of news, but there was actually a report that someone in Pakistan had published in a newspaper, an offer of a reward to anyone who killed an American, any American.

So an Australian dentist wrote an editorial the following day to let everyone know what an American is . So they would know when they found one. (Good one, mate!!!!)

‘An American is English, or French, or Italian, Irish, German, Spanish , Polish, Russian or Greek.  An American may also be Canadian, Mexican, African, Indian, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Australian, Iranian, Asian, or Arab, or Pakistani or Afghan.

An American may also be a Comanche, Cherokee, Osage, Blackfoot, Navaho, Apache, Seminole or one of the many other tribes known as native Americans.

An American is Christian , or he could be Jewish, or Buddhist, or Muslim. In fact, there are more Muslims in America than in Afghanistan . The only difference is that in America they are free to worship as each of them chooses.

An American is also free to believe in no religion. For that he will answer only to God, not to the government, or to armed thugs claiming to speak for the government and for God.

An American lives in the most prosperous land in the history of the world.

The root of that prosperity can be found in the Declaration of Independence , which recognizes the God given right of each person to the pursuit of happiness.

An American is generous. Americans have helped out just about every other nation in the world in their time of need, never asking a thing in return.

When Afghanistan was over-run by the Soviet army 20 years ago, Americans came with arms and supplies to enable the people to win back their country!

As of the morning of September 11, Americans had given more than any other nation to the poor in Afghanistan …

The national symbol of America , The Statue of Liberty , welcomes your tired and your poor, the wretched refuse of your teeming shores, the homeless, tempest tossed. These in fact are the people who built America.

Some of them were working in the Twin Towers the morning of September 11 , 2001 earning a better life for their families. It’s been told that the World Trade Center victims were from at least 30 different countries, cultures, and first languages, including those that aided and abetted the terrorists.

So you can try to kill an American if you must. Hitler did. So did General Tojo , and Stalin , and Mao Tse-Tung, and other blood-thirsty tyrants in the world. But, in doing so you would just be killing yourself. Because Americans are not a particular people from a particular place. They are the embodiment of the human spirit of freedom. Everyone who holds to that spirit, everywhere, is an American.

• illinoislady
    edited November 2012

Rely on the ordinary virtues that intelligent, balanced human beings have relied on for centuries: common sense, thrift, realistic expectations, patience, and perseverance. John C. Bogle

• carolehalston
    edited November 2012

Lazy beginning to Saturday.  DH and I didn't get up until 8 am!  It felt so good to snooze under the covers in our chilly bedroom.  Window open.  The sun is shining brightly so I guess I will do some more mulching. 

Thanksgiving didn't pack on a lot of lbs, I'm happy to say.  I'm up a lb.  Not too bad. 

The only "bad" news is that my Saturday cooking shows aren't on PBS today.  I usually record them to watch at my leisure. 

DH plans to play golf at noon so I'll have the homestead to myself this afternoon.

Happy Saturday to all.

• camillegal
    edited November 2012

cevyboy that' quite an article and it's so true.

• bonnets
    edited November 2012

Somebody tell me how to post pictures to the site, please.

• camillegal
    edited November 2012

Sorry bonnets not me--I just learned how to do it off facebook--I have no idea how to post any other kind.

• Chevyboy
    edited November 2012

Bonnets, try going to Google Images.... Then type in anything you want... like "good morning coffee"..... Pages will come up that have a LOT of pictures.... Then click on the picture, Right click & hit "copy"..... then go back to THIS forum, to where we post, and right click again & hit "paste"...

See if that works.... You can even type in the beginnings of a poem, and choices will come up, then when you see what you want, just "copy", go to this site, and click "paste"

If you want to post pictures of yours that you have on your computer, you have to download a program like Picassa, then you can upload them to an album online, then same thing, copy, and paste.....  Let me know if this helps.... 

• bonnets
    edited November 2012

Thanks Chevy, one of these days Ill get brave and try it!

• carolehalston
    edited November 2012

Me, too, Bonnets.  I seem to have a mental hurdle about posting pics. 

Today was a nice day.  Worked out in the yard a couple of hours.  Then caught up with laundry.  But no ironing.  I spent some time on the computer doing some shopping research.  I have almost 75,000 airplane hours to spend but will probably end up cashing in the points by applying the money to our bill.  We pay for almost everything by credit card and then pay the bill in full monthly.  So the points accumulate.

The new Christmas tree is still in the box.  Maybe DH will get around to opening up the box tomorrow while I'm spending time with my mother.  We'll go to the 10:30 church service and then have lunch at her house.

So how was everybody else's Saturday? 

• ptdreamers
    ptdreamers Member Posts: 639
    edited November 2012

A favor to all my sisters please. My GN is trying to get started in the music business. Please just click on the link which will help get him the numbers he needs to proceed. Many thanks. here it is

http://www.youtube.com/justinfehler

• illinoislady
    edited November 2012

ptdreamers.  I did click on it....watched the whole video and use the like button.  Apparently just clicking in is enough, but I enjoyed the whole production.  What a "good" looker this young man is and I hope good things happen for him.  Should we do it more than once.

I worked this afternoon....until 8 p.m. tonight.  I'm a little bushed, but that is ok.  I will enjoy sleeping in tomorrow morning.  In fact, can't wait.  I did some extra things tonight when I got home just to be able to really be able to lay there in the morning in my cool bedroom under the covers and just stay there as long as I want.  Coffee automatically starts brewing at 6:05 a.m.  I'm going to do my best to ignore it for awhile.

Anyway....I'll be back some time in the morning.  See you all then.

Hugs, Jackie

• ptdreamers
    ptdreamers Member Posts: 639
    edited November 2012

Thanks Jackie. Clicking in more than once would definately help but I'm just grateful for you doing it at all.

• Kaara
    Kaara Member Posts: 2,101
    edited November 2012

Morning everyone!

I'm bleary eyed from watching college football all day yesterday...on our new 50" TV!  Really, it was like being right in the stadium without fighting the crowds.  Victory for the Gators of FL and also the Gamecocks of SC...two favorite teams of mine.  The rest I could care less about.

A beautiful day is dawning here...maybe some golf later...BF says that the club where he plays has worked wonders with the course that they renovated over the summer.  I'm only good for nine holes then I get bored hitting the ball and chasing it...LOL!

Carole:  I'm with you on the picture posting...I've mastered facebook and that's about it.

Dreamers:  I'll click on the link to help your GN.  My DGD is trying to do the same thing in Hawaii...she has some songs posted on You Tube.  It's a tough business and one needs great management to make it...there is so much talent.

Chevy:  I use google for almost everything I want to learn more about.  It's fantastic!

Have a great day!

• illinoislady
    edited November 2012

Let us be grateful to the people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom.Marcel Proust

• camillegal
    edited November 2012

Ptdreamers I hope I did it right--but I did it too.

I had a quitely loud Sat. We had the guy finish putting in carpet in the hallway my Katie-Kat and I hardly left the room--so alot of pounding but it looks great.

• illinoislady
    edited November 2012

Ok pt.....I tapped  in again this morning.  Justin has not only good looks, but a great voice....he knows how to use colors to provoke interest.  I hope he gets "there". 

Going to be so nice today outside......the last of the leaf blowing for the year will take place.  Be glad to have that finally done.  We live out in the woods....but not so far in that we aren't exposed  to the sound of riging lawn mowers -- as in mulching leaves up, and leaf blowers.  So our solitude here is a punctuated one, but I can't imagine living elsewhere. 

Would love to be able to buy the property next door that is for sale. Could then have a small family compound.  I would adore it totally.  Anyway, I look forward to seeing how much I can get done today.  As always....dh has to start out a certain way....hope it doesn't slow us down.

See you all later.

Hugs, Jackie