Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited November 2012

Dreamers.... I finally watched the video.... Ha!  Yes, very cute guy.... Can he have someone make a video of him singing?  I mean I know that sometimes getting your talent "out" there, and showing what you look like doing it, ....like on YouTube can make a big difference.    And if he can get a "mentor" in the music business somehow.  I KNOW the whole thing is tough, but if it is his dream, he has to go for it.  

I remember my Brother, trying to make money, with his music.... taking any and all jobs with groups, to help support the family.  Whether you are a musician or a singer, it can be a tough racket to get into....  I wish you guys the best.

Our Nephews came over today.... DH is wanting to sell his rifles and guns he used for hunting.   Some are very old, and valuable, and were his Grand-fathers.... but he doesn't use them, anymore......  Might be better to try selling them, and not to family.... I think you could get more, I mean not be afraid to ask for what they are worth.

Ha, ha Jackie, if you had more room, then your DH would NEVER get done.... Ha!   Or you could get goats or something to help clean the yard! Wink

Camille.... I remember the pounding, when my Daughter and I put down the Laminate in the bedroom.... Yes!  The pounding was loud.... echoed right through my bones, but the worst part was getting up and down a jillion times...Yell So then we paid to have the larger living/dining room done.  I was happy.

Kaara.... I LOVE Google!  You can type ANYthing in there, and find an answer!  I especially love the Google Images.  I have that up on top, in my "favorites" and it's always there when I need a picture or a poem, etc.

• bonnets
    bonnets Member Posts: 737
    edited November 2012

I use Dogpile. It searches 5  search engines , including Google , at a time!

Cold day here. We went to church,then DH slept the afternoon away. I'm not a napper, hard to understand one!

Back to the rads routine tomorrow. I think its Boost time. They said the last 7. Will see. May get snow Tues. Phoo.

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,922
    edited November 2012

Ptdreamers, Very talented and gorgeous. He could be a Ralph Lauren model--really has the look.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,114
    edited November 2012

I hope I never again have to live through installation of new carpet.  It would almost be easier just to move to a new house! 

Jackie, our yard has never before looked this good at this time of year.  DH has made good use of the pricey new mulcher that attaches to the lawn mower but has its own motor.  It's a dirty job, though.  His clothes are filthy when he's finished.  In past years he just ran over the leaves with the mower and crunched them up.  That works, too, and is equally dirty because he would mow in a cloud of dust from the dry leaves.  We now have a gigantic compost pile.

Today was a pleasant day.  Took my mother and my great niece, Nova, to church.  Afterwards we had home-cooked hamburgers that were delicious.  I kept my mother company until about 3:30.  Now dh and I are watching San Francisco beat up on the Saints.

Tomorrow is WW meeting and later a dental apptment, during which my implants are to be "uncovered."  After that heals I'll get the crowns.  BIG dental writeoff in 2012.

Time to light our little fireplace.  It's so cheery and one of the nice things about winter.

• mommarch
    mommarch Member Posts: 534
    edited November 2012

We had a very emotional morning yesterday (Sat.) GS did not want his Mom and sister to go to Florida, he lives in Las Cruces, NM with his Dad. DD crying says I am not going, I said Sh__T your not.  Everyone had there tears and hugs and then they left.  Talked to GD this evening, they are still on the road to Pensacola, she said everything is OK.  We have had her with us for 14 years.  Her GP cried like a baby.  He is better today.  We took GS to meet his Dad at Siera Blanca this morning and then we went and gathered more yucca stalks.  Its funny how much we both like getting into the desert and doing that, it is a good tired. Fixed BLT's for dinner tonight.  Going to use leftover turkey tomorrow night and fix a casserole.  Since they have been treating me for the anemia I have so much more energy.  Feels good.  Well back to work tomorrow, have been off for a week, it will be a busy month, we have to get our report out to the Feds and have travel arangements to make for students who are going to visit grad schools and present their at conferences.

Everyone take care.  

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,585
    edited November 2012
    • Not what we say about our blessings, but how we use them, is the true measure of our thanksgiving.W.T. Purkiser
    • Living thanks is better than giving thanks.
  • illinoislady
    edited November 2012

mommarch.....as the saying goes, everything works out in the end, if it doesn't, it is not the end.  It is hard to 'say' goodbye when you are making big changes, but I think it is like a bath....you may be a little startled when you first put your feet in, but then little by little, inching along your finally sitting in the bath water glad you are there.  Hopefully, you'll be getting good reports soon.

Sure glad to hear you are feeling better.  Don't know why but chemo and rads and things can throw us into quite a tailspin and takes some time to get re-balanced.  I have felt good for so long now I mainly don't give it a thought.  Also, since I did all my care in winter........and we had a rocky one that year, I think I felt so blessed when Spring came I just did not pay much attention of what was hanging on.  In time, everything came right.  I have some pesky stuff from the Arimidex and a little left-over neuropathy but nothing that could come close to stopping me or even making me pay much attention. 

Hope everyone has a marvelous day.

Hugs, Jackie

• bonnets
    edited November 2012

Found out I won't be done next Tues. , but on Dec 10! Wasn't a happy camper. Strange how much I was looking forward to a week from tomorrow. Oh well cud be worse. Just getting tired of planning everything around these appts. Oh, I got a bill from the hospital for the balance I have to pay after ins, wow each days treatment runs about $2,000. Thank heavens for insurance.

• Chevyboy
    edited November 2012

Yes Bonnets..... After my surgery and Radiation, I also had to pay $2000.... But the whole bill was around $75,000 I think.... !  That was for the surgeon, the surgery, radiation with the Mammosite device, and the Radiologist.....  I felt really fortunate that we had insurance! 

When DH had his Pacemaker, it was over $150,000.... but he was in the hospital for 2 nights..... I don't know WHAT people do without any kind of coverage!..... 

So cold here today!  I go for my annual physical Thursday.... And hopefully, all my appts are done for another year after that!  

Stay warm gals.....

• Chevyboy
    edited November 2012

Two guys walked into a bar............. The third one ducked.....Wink

(compliments of my silly brother.)

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited November 2012

LOL...
    I have an appointment with my RO this week.  Then nothing until March.  It gets easier to not think so much about bc...
    DS made it back to Chicago this AM...hope he'll be back for Christmas.
    Wishing all a good week ahead.
    Joan

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited November 2012

Joan, do you live in west Hampton?

• Kaara
    Kaara Member Posts: 2,101
    edited November 2012

Morning everyone!

Another beautiful day in S. Florida!  Our weather has just been spectacular this year...better than usual...or maybe I'm just more grateful for every new day that dawns!

mommarch:  Know you hate saying goodbye, but our little birds must fly, and we must let them.

bonnets:  That's a bummer....I know how you must feel, but it will all pass soon and life will begin to be more normal.  

I got word last evening that the niece of a good friend of mine was dx with BC at age 31, and her DGM died of BC six years ago.  I feel for the family because they are all so close, and I know it is going to be a tough road for this young woman.  Hopefully she will sign on to this site and get the support and help that she needs at this difficult time.  I don't know what I would have done without the support of my sisters here.

My eye injection yesterday was not so bad...guess I'm getting used to it.  The doc was happy with my progress and is going to let me go longer between injections...maybe two months instead of one.  Next time my right eye is going to be checked for damage along with the left....it tends to spread to both eyes...oh joy!  At least something can be done for it.

Today I'm going to get this gel polish taken off my fingernails...as great as it's been, I must give my poor nails a rest....they are weak from having this kind of mani done over the last six months.  I think I'm better off just having the regular stuff and doing my own mani's between professional ones.

Well, time to have my protein shake and go for my workout!

Have a great day everyone!

• Chevyboy
    edited November 2012

Morning all.... Yes Kaara, those gel nails are a PAIN to get off!  Don't know about just the polish, but I had the nails once, and as pretty and shiny as they are, they weren't worth it.... and it hurts the nail-beds.  I gave away all of my artificial nails & acrylic powder & liquid....  I just think it's a lot easier to do our own polishing, etc.  Wink

Same with coloring my hair.... I just do it myself, about every 6 weeks.... Been doing this since I was about 30...  And remember how we used to wear hair-pieces?  And "falls"?  I used to style my own, and make those big barrel-curls.... They were sooooooo fun!  

My Daughter just had her one eye done with Lasik again.... I think I said this already.... but she is doing good!  Glad your injection went well Kaara!

Joan, glad your thoughts are getting back to normal..... and that your Son "might" be with you at Christmas.

Talk to you all later!  Take good care!

• carolehalston
    edited November 2012

I was warned off the acrylic nail polish.  Love to have the professional manicures but don't have one very often.  I use my hands so much and don't use gloves. 

Awoke to a loud clap of thunder this morning.  We had an overcast rainy day yesterday and are having another one today.  Then it's supposed to clear up.  But I will cancel my women's golf tomorrow because the golf course will be very wet.  Walking in mush is NOT good for a foot with plantar fasciitis.  I know.  Not a major problem in the scale of problems!

DH put up the tall skinny lighted Christmas tree yesterday and I decorated it.  It's so cute!  Actually kind of pretty.  Have also put out a few Christmas-y things here and there.  This is the first Christmas in several years that I've decorated and it's all motivated by hosting the family Christmas dinner this year. 

Yesterday I had my implants "uncovered" by the dentist who put the screws in my jawbone.  After 2 weeks I go to my regular dentist who will make the crowns.  It will be good to have some chewing function on the right side again.  I've about worn out the left side! 

Today I'll hang out here at home and get some stuff done.  I may write our Christmas letter and start addressing Christmas cards.  I'm sending cards this year after not sending them for a couple of years.  National Geographic had a card we both really liked, one that "suited" us, and the money goes for a good cause.

Hope everyone has a good day.

• illinoislady
    edited November 2012

"The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the most of everything that comes along their way."

Author Unknown

• carolehalston
    edited November 2012

Great quote!  A lot of wisdom in those words.

• bonnets
    edited November 2012

Good MOrning, , OOps guess it's officially afternoon now!, 

Went to rads  before it really started to snow. Got in the mood to do a little un-decorating for fall and decorating for Christmas. Now just have the tree, stable, village and out door lights left. DH said he helped me, "I stayed out of your way." I'll wait a while to do those.

Got to get going on the cards I mail, did the ones for church. This year my  friend and I are doing the same thing, using up the leftover cards from the past ..... years. Figure no one will remember we  used  them before. Found the bag full of remnants and decided not to waste them.

Almost done shopping, thank heavens the older grands  like Gift cards/checks. Still get the young ones gifts. Got to get after my daughter for suggestions for her 4. We have 14 altogether!Maybe tomorrow I'll go to Hobby Lobby. Love that store. Keeps the real meaning of CHristmas.

Well guess I'll eat lunch and watch the snow fall. Take care all.

• Chevyboy
    edited November 2012
    HOLIDAY EATING TIPS

1. Avoid carrot sticks. Anyone who puts carrots on a holiday buffet table knows nothing of the holiday spirit. In fact, if you see carrots, leave immediately. Go next door, where they're serving rum balls.

2. Drink as much eggnog as you can. And quickly. It's rare... You cannot find it any other time of year but now. So drink up! Who cares that it has 10,000 calories in every sip? It's not as if you're going to turn into an eggnog-alcoholic or something. It's a treat. Enjoy it. Have one for me. Have two.

3. If something comes with gravy, use it. That's the whole point of gravy. Gravy does not stand alone. Pour it on. Make a volcano out of your mashed potatoes. Fill it with gravy. Eat the volcano. Repeat.

4. As for mashed potatoes, always ask if they're made with skim milk or whole milk. If it's skim, pass. Why bother? It's like buying a sports car with an automatic transmission.

5. Do not have a snack before going to a party in an effort to control your eating. Hello?! The whole point of going to a Holiday party is to eat other people's food for free.

6. Under no circumstances should you exercise between now and New Year's. You can do that in January when you have nothing else to do. This is the time for long naps, which you'll need after circling the buffet table while carrying a 10-pound plate of food and that vat of eggnog.

7. If you come across something really good at a buffet table, like frosted Christmas cookies in the shape and size of Santa, position yourself near them and don't budge. Have as many as you can before becoming the center of attention. They're like a beautiful pair of shoes. If you leave them behind, you're never going to see them again.

8. Same for pies. Apple, Pumpkin, Mincemeat. Have a slice of each. Or if you don't like mincemeat, have two apples and one pumpkin. Always have three. When else do you get to have more than one dessert? Labor Day?

9. Did someone mention fruitcake? Granted, it's loaded with the mandatory celebratory calories, but avoid it at all cost. I mean, have some standards.

10. One final tip: If you don't feel terrible when you leave the party or get up from the table, you haven't been paying attention. Re-read tips.

Life is short. Drink the good wine first

• carolehalston
    edited November 2012

Chevy, that's really funny!  You just wiped out all the advice our leader offered at the WW meeting on Monday!  And I'm not kidding.

I was reading it aloud to dh.  When he didn't chuckle, I looked over and he was sound asleep.  He's dressed for his woodworkers' guild meeting tonight.  I'll be Home Alone.  No egg nog in the house but I'll probably have an old-fashioned cocktail. 

Bonnets, that's a clever idea to use the leftover cards from years past.  I addressed some envelopes this afternoon and felt sad x'ing out names of people who've died.  I didn't send cards last year or the year before but, for some reason, decided I would this year.  Maybe because I still enjoy getting Christmas cards in the mail.  I used to dislike the generic Christmas letters but I've come around on that, too.  I like getting the letters and I include one in my cards.  I also write a personal note in the card. 

It's supposed to be cold tonight and colder tomorrow night.  Guess I'll turn on the fireplace! 

• kathindc
    kathindc Member Posts: 1,667
    edited November 2012

Chevy, I love it!  Read it to my husband and he was in hysterics.  Wanted me to forward it to his work e-mail.  I may have to take your advice and damn the diabetes and cholesterol.

• Chevyboy
    edited November 2012

Hey gals!  Carole, when I first glanced at your post, all I saw was your Husband was dressed for his Woodpeckers meeting!  Ha, ha, ha!  Cool!!  It's funny how your eyes don't "catch" details some times.... or is it my brain??

I KNOW!  WW would throw you out, in one lump sum!   One time I took one of those teeny-tiny mini brown sacks to a WW meeting, and told them it was my new lunch bag!  It was about big enough to hold a grape.    

You know, seriously now, it really IS a great way to lose weight!  Sure it costs a little, but I loved trying my own recipe's, and substituting healthier options, for the more "traditional" ingredients.  I also think it's the (okay, here we go) camaraderie???  (sp check said this was it) ????  But being around other gals in our "sinking ship" was a lot of fun.  A few of us used to go out after the meeting, and have breakfast every Saturday!   We would order a Tostada, with extra lettuce and tomato!  The little bit of shredded cheese didn't matter, and we all lost weight! Besides you could eat a vat of beans........  They're good for you!!!

Hi kathindc!  Good to see you here!  Were you affected by the storm, like some of our other gals??  You are kind of new here.... doing okay???

Bonnets!  I don't decorate as much as I used too....  I still put up the little red-velvet tree I made years ago, and one that was my folks!  They just sit on stands, and I made little "ornaments" out of some of the old pictures I had.... cut them out, backed them, and glued lace or glitter around the edges, and hung with ribbons.... I USED to make our own cards also!  I would save all the pretty ones, cut out with those little design scissors, and paste them to card-stock, and type the message over, and paste that inside! 

Did you guys ever make cards with that kleenex, dried petunias, etc. out of your garden?  And wax-paper.  Then iron them together...  with pastel card stock.  So beautiful! I used to sell them.......I decorated them with that thin ribbon, and sometimes glitter. 

Okay.... Hey Jackie, I know you are getting ready for your Daughter & DH to come be with you!  How FUN!!!   Nothing like having your Daughter around to just talk, or shop with! 

• kathindc
    kathindc Member Posts: 1,667
    edited November 2012

Hi Chevy, DC fared well when Sandy went by.  A few of the big trees went down in other neighbor hoods with power outages that were quickly remedied.  It was nothing compared to a derecho the area had in the summer and our one daughter who lives about 1/2 mile away was without electricity for almost a week and some areas were without longer. Thank you for asking.  Just noticed your quote.  I used it on my e-mails when I worked. 

• illinoislady
    edited November 2012

Your inner knowing is your only true compass.
    - Joy Page

To know the whole world is nothing
    when it is compared to knowing your own inner mystery of life.
    - Osho

• carolehalston
    edited November 2012

Chevy, you're right about WW.  The camaraderie is very important for those who attend the meetings.  But a lot of WW subscribers don't attend meetings but use the online tools.  Have you kept your weight down?  It doesn't cost me anything to attend the meetings or to use the online tools because I'm a Lifetime Member at goal weight.

Last night wasn't a healthy eating night.  I had a small bowl of Zapp's salt-free potato chips, which are delicious.  My husband has started eating them and he's a salt-o-holic.  Then I had cheddar cheese and Triscuits.  Oh, and 12 dark chocolate kisses!  But no damage on the scale this morning.  So back on the wagon.

The home-made cards sound really pretty.  I've received hand-made cards with beautiful photographs on the front.  DH and I lived on a sailboat for 9 years and had a sailboat for many years afterward.  He was a merchant mariner.  So we like images associated with water and the sea and boating.  Our Christmas card this year has a picture with a lighthouse on the front.  Hey, I'll try taking a picture of it with my "Smart" phone that does little but run down the battery while it sits in my handbag.  I'm way behind the learning curve with posting pictures.

This is Golf Wed. but I'm not playing golf.  My schedule is exercise on the recumbent bike, put together a chili and let the Crock pot cook it for dinner tonight, pick up the veggies from the CSA somewhere around noon.  And...do some other this and that.  The sun is shining today and I think it's in the 50's outside.  Wish I could walk but I'm heeding the advice of the foot dr.

Welcome, kathindc.  Hi to everyone.

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711
    edited November 2012

I've posted 3x ad the comp. ate it.

Good Morning everyone and welcome Kath(?) already I'm starting a bad start.

Everyone sounds pretty good with so much energy I'm tired just reading how active everyone is. Brava. Me not so much.

I'm still doing Dr. stuff and that tires me--hahaha

All Decorations are up in and out--OK OK I didn't do it but I've looked at it. My contrabution is not to criticize, but to applaud--so I do it.

Jackie, Jackie, how many times have I told u when a quote say unkown---it's me--I said it many years ago. My cousin keeps reminding me what I said and I was between 3-4 yrs. old Here it is. She was named after her parents, my aunt was Anna and My uncle was Joe--hername is Joanne and I said what if his name was Ben--so I've said many clever things so u can use them but I want credit LOL

It;s Sunny but not to cold today so it's good.

Chevyboy that was hysterical, I was laughing out loud.

Have a wonderful day ladies.

• bonnets
    edited November 2012

Hi ladies,

Cold here today, brrrr! Went to lunch with our senior "players" group, at a sushi  place. Had a good show with the habachi cook. We havrn't been participating this year with all our health problems. It's a fun group, put on skits for the local senior groups.

Tomorrow i see my Primary , who is also my onc. I imagine we will discuss hormone therapy. I already told him I'm not open to Tamoxifen, since I hear of women who have deafness as a SE. With 2 deaf daughters and tinnitus, NO! wary of the side effect of the others. He seem inclined to Arimdex. SO will see what he says.

Carole, I love your Hubby falling asleep on your reading. That wud be mine, hit the recliner and he's out. Tell him he will fit in well at the nursing home.:)

Have a good night everyone.

• Kaara
    Kaara Member Posts: 2,101
    edited November 2012

Morning everyone!

Jackie:  Good quote for the day...wise words

Carole:  I wish someone had warned me off the gel nails..I've never had anything artificial and thought this would be a good alternative, but of course, that was a mistake.

Chevy:  The post re the Xmas buffet was hilarious!  Anytime I've ever put veggies with dip on my buffet table, we end up with lots of leftover veggies to steam later...LOL!  Don't even bother!  The shrimp and cocktail sauce always goes first...followed by the meatballs in sauce.

I don't know if it's been on the news, but our beach road, A1A in Ft. Lauderdale, is being destroyed by high wave action.  If it keeps up, we will lose that entire stretch of beach road...a landmark drive.  It's so sad.  Is it global warming like they said, where the oceans rise?  Scary.

Having our massage therapist come today to give us both massages.  So looking forward to it!!

• illinoislady
    edited November 2012

Accept the pain, cherish the joys, resolve the regrets; then can come the best of benedictions “If I had my life to live over, I’d do it all the same.”

~ Joan McIntosh

• illinoislady
    edited November 2012

OMG....do you buy into that global warming stuff Kaara.  Well, just teasing.....I sure do too.  The last three or so years here....we don't know what to expect weather-wise.  Last winter was warm all winter ( not warm as in Fla. warm, but a lite dusting of snow a couple of times.....talked of the bug problems we would have since we never had a hard freeze......and that would have come true save for the fact that we started having three digit temps in June...omg --  it was horrid.  Just waiting now to see what kind of winter we will have this yr.  I might add....this last Fall, after we finally got rain  after the summer drought.....we had trees blooming like it was Spring..........so this winter should be interesting.  I also might add.....we never got the bug problem...most of them died in the drought. 

Camille....why can't I remember who writes those things.  Well, one of these days....look for your name, ok cause' I'm gonna' remember and there you'll be.

Got my mammo yesterday.  Since I'm officially not doing diagnostic ones anyone.....they don't tell me anything the day of.....have to wait and they will send through the mail my results.  That is ok.  It is just something new to get used to........just like only seeing the oncologist once a yr. now. I can see myself already next yr. talking to him and the first question he asks.....like what problems I might be having or anything I need to know and I'll say uh.....well, uh.....because I just don't remember things.  Maybe that is a clue about how un-important a great many of them would be if I did remember to ask. 

Ended up a rather grueling trip.  I go 75 miles away for the mammo which went really fast......but Dh was having his usual as of late problem.....funny feeling in chest, palpitations, just generally not feeling too hot.  So we made a side trip ( since we were basically right close by ) to the V.A. hosp.  Turns out he has G.E.R.D.  I had tried to get him to quit some things -- like coffee, and his night time toddy.  Turns out those are big culprits.  Men...they just don't listen most of the time ---- I didn't mean forever...just long enough to tell if stimulants were aggravating or stimulating the problem.....too easy.  So we left here at 9 a.m. yesterday morning.....and didn't get back home until 6 p.m.   Oh my....such a long day.

Anyway....hope you all have a fantastic one today.

Hugs, Jackie