Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,611
    edited December 2012

• illinoislady
    edited December 2012

Red velvet pie....hmmm, sounds like something I should know about and to do that means I better go out and try to find one.  In the mean time.....I'm eating my way into oblivion with Peanut Butter pie.  I think some people have 'difficult' recipes for that but mine is a simple easy one:

1 9 in. graham cracker crust

1 tsp vanilla

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 cup p-nut butter ( w or w/o peanuts )

1 8 oz. block of softened cream cheese

1 8oz. tub of Cool Whip

Stir everything up.....put it in the graham crust, refrigerate for at least three hours ( if you can wait that long ) and then eat and enjoy.

Merry Christmas Eve. to everyone.

Hugs, Jackie

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711
    edited December 2012

Oh Jackie sounds yummy, wh did u tell us last week--we're totally done baking--Oh all rigt 'r just to happy I guess. I've been loading up on P/B fudge--we made a double recipe-bit mstake for me anyway.

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited December 2012

Hi gals!  Just finished making a little pot of Saffron Risotto!  And no Carole, I don't make my own Hollandaise sauce, although I have before...I just use the Knorr mix.....  Man, I could put that stuff on EVERYthing, ha!  I put in a little splash of Lemon juice also. 

I'm baking the ham, for tonight, and for brunch tomorrow.... Also baked Sweet Potatoes....  I like mine with butter, cinnamon and brown-sugar, just like at Lone Star!

DH just picked up an Apple Pie.... Ha!  So we'll warm that up in the morning also...Wink

It's cold out right now...Supposed to snow tonight, and all day tomorrow!  So if you guys want to come here, you'll have a White Christmas!!!

Merry Christmas everyone!  xoxoxoxo

FOR YOU YOUNG FOLKS, IT IS EDUCATIONAL, AND FOR US OLD AGERS, IT IS -------WELL-----YOU WILLUNDERSTAND>

The link below will take you to a video showing the very first public singing of "GOD BLESS AMERICA".

But before you watch, you should also know the story of the song.

The time was 1940. America was still in a terrible economic depression. Hitler was taking over Europe and Americans were afraid we'd have to go to war. It was a time of hardship and worry for most Americans.
    This was the era just before TV, when radio shows were HUGE, and American families sat around their radios in the evenings, listening to their favorite entertainers, and no entertainer of that era was bigger than Kate Smith.

Kate was also large in size, and the popular phrase still used today is in deference to her, "Ain't over till the fat lady sings". Kate Smith might not have made it big in the age of TV, but with her voice coming over the radio, she was the biggest star of her time.
    Kate was also very patriotic. It hurt her to see Americans so depressed and afraid of what the next day would bring. She had hope for America, and faith in her fellow Americans. She wanted to do something to cheer them up, so she went to the famous American song-writer, Irving Berlin (also wrote "White Christmas") and asked him to write a song that would make Americans feel good again about their country.

When she described what she was looking for, he said he had just the song for her. He went to his files and found a song that he had written, but never published, 22 years before - way back in 1917. He gave it to Kate Smith and she worked on it with her studio orchestra. She and Irving Berlin were not sure how the song would be received by the public, but both agreed they would not take any profits from God Bless America. Any profits would go to the Boy Scouts of America. Over the years, the Boy Scouts have received millions of dollars in royalties from this song.
    This video starts out with Kate Smith coming into the radio studio with the orchestra and an audience. She introduces the new song for the very first time, and starts singing. After the first couple verses, with her voice in the background still singing, scenes are shown from the 1940 movie, "You're In The Army Now." At the 4:20 mark of the video you see a young actor in the movie, sitting in an office, reading a paper; it's Ronald Reagan.

Frank Sinatra considered Kate Smith the best singer of her time, and said when he and a million other guys first heard her sing "God Bless America" on the radio, they all pretended to have dust in their eyes as they wiped away a tear or two.
    To this day, God Bless America stirs our patriotic feelings and pride in our country. Back in 1940, when Kate Smith went looking for a song to raise the spirits of her fellow Americans, I doubt she realized just how successful the results would be for her fellow Americans during those years of hardship and worry, and for many generations of Americans to follow. Now that you know the story of the song, I hope you will enjoy it and treasure it even more.

NOW HERE IS HOW "GOD BLESS AMERICA" SHOULD BE SUNG!

=

• Chevyboy
    edited December 2012

• camillegal
    edited December 2012

Chevy that was fun--I rememver Kate Smith everyone always loved her. and boy amI old I recognized ost of thos actors. LOL I play 3 of them--Thanks for the memories.

• ptdreamers
    ptdreamers Member Posts: 639
    edited December 2012

Merry Christmas to all my "sisters" and may the New Year bring health and happiness

• Kaara
    Kaara Member Posts: 2,101
    edited December 2012

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!  ENJOY YOUR DAY!!

• termite
    termite Member Posts: 238
    edited December 2012

Wishing everyone a blessed Christmas and a healthy, happy New Year!!

• camillegal
    edited December 2012

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL --WITH PEACE IN U'R HEART AND JOY WITH U'R FAMILY.

• bonnets
    bonnets Member Posts: 737
    edited December 2012

Hoping you are having a Blessed Christmas!

• Chevyboy
    edited December 2012

Same here gals!  I love the Holidays, but kind of glad they are winding down.  Thanks for always being here! xooxoxxo

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,114
    edited December 2012

My feet hurt.  I'm pooped.  But the day went well despite being under a tornado warning.  We're still under thunderstorm warning with the possibility of strong winds.  It's raining now.  DH has the living room restored to its normal appearance.  He had rearranged the furniture to accommodate a large group.  The kitchen is also clean except for the floor, which will have to wait. 

We had 20 people, 16 adults and 4 children.  We were missing 2 adults.  Because of the dire weather warnings, my sister who lives about 3 hrs. drive away and her dh did not come.  The meal was very good if I do say so.  Some people took food home with them and we still have containers of leftovers in the refrigerator.

Hope all of you had a good day and enjoyed whatever you did.  Now it's time for life after Christmas! 

• bonnets
    edited December 2012

Carole, Your weather is heading up this way. We were hoping to go to my daughters in Maryland , but tomorrow is supposed to be snow/ice into thurs morning, and again snow Sat and sunday. When we hadn't planned to go , we had nice weather. Can't win. Had light snow this morning, mostly gone now.

Grand kids stopped in for thrie presents. Got a nice long video phone call from  Amy's kids in Tx. Warm and sbnuggly in a new nighty. Night all.

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,922
    edited December 2012

Bonnets, I've been on anastrasole (generic Arimidex) since March 15 and haven't had any side effects at all. I'm a bit stiff in the morning, but I'm 72 and it's winter, so I don't think I can blame the meds.

• mommarch
    mommarch Member Posts: 534
    edited December 2012

Hi Bonnets,  I was on Armidex and Astorzole and could not take either, I hurt so bad I could do nothing but get in bed when I got home from my partime job and cry.  I am on Tamoxifen and have done pretty good.  I do have to take and antidepressent because it causes depression in some people and I happen to be one of them.  If I have pain it is mostly a few hours after I have take it and IBprofin helps.  

• mommarch
    mommarch Member Posts: 534
    edited December 2012

It has been a quiet day here, cold and windy.  This is only the 3rd time in 43 years we have spent Christmas alone.  It has been good.  I even took a short nap this afternoon and I never do that. Everyone stay warm and you in the south stay safe.  Merry Christmas

• Kaara
    edited December 2012

Merry Christmas everyone!  We had our big day on the 23, so yesterday and today were days spent with other family members.  Today my DD and I had a nice dinner at a fine restaurant in town...just the two of us....it was such fun to have her undivided attention...even for a short time!

Today I took the decorations down and put them away...they've been up since before Thanksgiving, so I've had plenty of festive time!  The house is back in order again except for some vacuming and other cleaning that needs to be done.  On Saturday I leave for SC to meet up with a friend that I met this summer and start a new chapter in my life.  We're both very excited about the future!  Stay tuned....

• bonnets
    edited December 2012

I am going to try taking Arimidex at night as someone suggested. Will see what happens. Wont even try Tamoxafen, as I have read of it causing deafness, and with 2 daughters who were deaf, I won't risk that one!

• camillegal
    edited December 2012

Kara a special friend wow keep us up to date.

I hope evone had a wonderful day--and being on any of these drugs is a coin toss for each of us. so.....

I'm exhausted now so I'll talk to u later.

• illinoislady
    edited December 2012

A problem is a chance for you to do your best.
    -- Duke Ellington

• illinoislady
    edited December 2012

Good morning of the 26th.  Wow !!!!  Gorgeous outside.  There is a good sized snow coming down.  Blizzard conditions though so Ron could not make it to work....he tried, but did not get all the way to the inner-state, and the car spun around....figured that probably meant he should come back home, which he did. 

Out here in the country the snow stays pretty....no salt to turn it into brown and black slush.  As the wind is blowing....the tree trunks are all full of snow as well as the crevices where the limb meets the tree and the limb.......always a postcard sight out here in the woods. 

I will work for five hours today.  My Blazer is 4-wheel drive and knock on wood.....even in 14 inch snowfalls and ice I have not been stopped from going where I need too. 

So far.....a fantastic holiday, but then having Kate and Ron here just make it about as close to perfection as it can get.  I hope you all had just the same kind..............as close to perfection as you could get.

Hugs,

Jackie

• Kaara
    edited December 2012

Sounds like everyone had a wonderful Christmas with family and friends!

• carolehalston
    edited December 2012

Yippee!  It's in the 40's this morning.  I'm wearing jeans and a long-sleeved shirt.  Two things on the agenda today.  Must pick up the last bag of CSA veggies about noon.  And hair apptment at 2 pm.  Six weeks since the last hair trim and root color so I need the trim.

Yesterday was warm and muggy.  We didn't turn on the A/C as a lot of people probably did.  We had windows and doors open. 

Kaara, I'm taking down decorations today, too!  Once Christmas is over, it's over.  My mother always took down the tree on the 26th.  The poinsettias are dropping the green leaves so they're "out of here," too.  I may just put them out on the little front covered entry but the low tonight is supposed to be in the 20's.

No social activities on our calendar until New Year's Eve when we're splurging on dinner at a really good restaurant about 2 min. from our house. 

Glad everyone had a good Christmas, with or without a crowd. 

Happy 26th!

• camillegal
    edited December 2012

Happy 26th--Wonderful Christmas, but it's over --good and bad.And I just got a cold that going around here and everytime I get a cold I always say OMG I've never been so sick in my whole entire life--and at the time I mean it. No one else has it yet so they'll all blame me. LOL

Jackie we live in the same state and our weather is totally opposite. hahaha No snow yet just cold and a little windy, my SIL was working up North this morning and he said snow was about 2 inc. so far. Sometimes it miss us cuz of Lake Michigan and sometimes not--so we'll see.

I hope everyone can get some well needed rest and relaxation today if u need it. I know I am.

• Chevyboy
    edited December 2012

Morning gals!  Jackie, I'm worried about you!  Everything okay?  I sent you an e-card, so be sure you check your in-box, or even your "junk" mail.

Camille, hope your cold doesn't get a hold of you this time...  Did you guys get much snow?  Supposed to snow again tonight, they say.  But it's so darned COLD!!!!!!!!!!   12 degrees out right now!  And doesn't get much warmer during the day...maybe up to 20.

A couple friends coming over tonight.... I'm making a big pot of Pasta Fazool, with that ham bone, and those little Gniocci's!   I found a bottle of champagne, and one of Chardonnay, and besides the beer, which is ever abundant, this will be our New-years...Wink   I will drink a glass of champagne, but that's about it.  Funny, how I worked at Coors for over 18 years, and I nave never liked the taste of beer!  My Dad, and DH  have made up for what I didn't drink.... I meant that to be funny, but it really isn't sometimes.....

Kaara, how fun with your DD!  You mean you could have a conversation without a cell-phone nary in sight?  Ha, ha!   I think they have taken over the world.  I got the funniest email, about "spending time together" only every picture showed kids on their cell-phone, instead of talking to their friends... And you are on a new "adventure?"    Is it like "out with the old and in with the new?"  This is the perfect time of year for that!  

Bonnets, I think Jackie is taking Arimidex.  I can understand your concerns about Tamoxifen, because it was me that lost my hearing.  Especially with your Daughter's!  I wish there had been some kind of test, to see how each individual could handle these types of drugs!    Usually, when you STOP something, the SE's will go away.  Not with me.   Also, make sure you have your eyes tested, before and during any drug, especially Arimidex, because of cataracts.    But like with Tamoxifen, most women just sail through the 5 years!  I must have been an anomaly... a dud.  Wink  Sure could have been worse though.

Hi Carole...wish we had YOUR weather.... and hello to Mommarch, Camille & Wren!  Have a warm day kids! xoxoxo

• bonnets
    edited December 2012

Morning,

We only got about 3-4 inches of the white stuff, but sleet what ever on top. DH back is out this morning, so he's  not plowing, Ill go out and shovel the walk. It's only about 35 and cloudy. Sipposed to get more snow by the weekend. Soo no trip to Maryland!

Chevy, I do go to the retinologist regularily,as I have early glacoma. I'll try and remember to tell them about the Arimidex.No you're not a DUD.  Read others with the hearing loss. My onc thinks I'm nuts, but I told him no on Tamoxifen!

Exciting day, gotta touch up my hair. That's about it. Bye, bye

• Kaara
    edited December 2012

Chevy:  LOL...now I didn't say I had dinner with DD and no phones...that would have been too much to ask for!  I went off and forgot mine which caused a slight stir because I couldn't call her to open her gate for me.  It's electronic.  I was thinking of slipping through the side, but had a horrific thought of "what would happen if she saw me and decided to open the gate and I got crushed"...so...I layed on the horn until she responded.

My new adventure is sort of "out with the old"...but...to put it in the right perspective, my former BF and I decided to take different paths, and I met someone new and we really fell for each other...amazing this late in our lives!  I'm going to spend some time in Greenville SC with him, and then he is coming to Fl with me to meet my family.  It never occured to me at this time last year that my life would change so dramatically.  I've never been afraid of taking a risk in life, and this one is no exception.  My family and friends are confused and dismayed over my decision, but I've asked them to not try and understand me...just wish me well...LOL!

Carole:  I have poinsettas as well, have them every year, and then I plant them in the side yard and they grow into nice bushes that bloom every Christmas!  I would think it would work in NO as well.

• carolehalston
    edited December 2012

Good morning, ladies.  Girls.  Gals.  No freeze last night because it stayed cloudy and is still cloudy this morning.  High in the low 50's today.  Tomorrow up to the 60's so I'll probably get to play golf with my Friday group. 

My "middle" sister who didn't come for Christmas is in town to help celebrate my mother's 90th birthday today.  We're going to lunch at New Orleans Hamburger and Seafood, which has a restaurant in nearby Mandeville.  It's my mother's favorite place.  DH will join us.  He seldom passes up a good meal! 

The house is back to normal.  The Christmas tree and decorations are packed away.  I'm ready for 2013!

On Christmas Eve, a present I gave myself arrived in the mail.  Two medical bracelets, one pretty and one a sports bracelet.  They're both really nice.  Each one has my name and the warning that my right arm is protected, no needles or bp.  Ruthbru on the Arimidex threat recommended the company and I'm very pleased with the bracelets.

Happy Thursday to all.

• Chevyboy
    edited December 2012

Hi Kaara.... Just take it slow.... amazing how things can happen, without us even THINKING about it!  We are never too old, especially our heart.  Our minds tend to over-analyze things, and keep us from jumping into things feet first..... but it's alway best to just enjoy the moment, and see what happens....  and then again, our hearts and heads do NOT work together.  Ha!  It all sounds so exciting though!  Good for you.... but just take it slow, and try not move in together...  sometimes THAT is really a wake-up call...Wink  And listen to "little things"..... best not to tell anyone about how you are really feeling.... they just don't want you to get hurt. 

Okay, who does he look like?  George Clooney?  If that were the case, just go for it, hook, line and sinker.... throw caution to the wind, Ha,ha!