Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,628
    edited February 2013

Chevy....that is so pretty and I'm wondering how I missed that  and the whole room it is in.  Geez....I'd better wake up I think.  I was sure that wasn't there when I posted.  I think I need to go and get some more coffee.  Had another night of getting up several times for Tums.  I think I have too much aspirin/muscle relaxer/Miloxicam  -- or something that isn't mixing well.  So.....I'll ease off a bit on the above and toss down some Omeprazole and see if I can get me back together.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

Peace & love,

Jackie

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711
    edited February 2013

Well someone (no names given Carole) didn't give us a beautiful weather report of late. LOL We've got some sun going here with 32 degrees--not bad. Anything that tastes good isn't. My mom did tht all her life eat a few bites and save the rest--Never saw her eat a full dessert. And when she was in her 80's I used to say why not enjoy what u like--she still didn't--she never gained weight and always looked good-- Geeze I could never do that. that why I look this way.

chevy, u made all that, whoa so pretty. U are talented.

Everyone have a nice day

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited February 2013

I hung that in the bedroom.... Used to have a LOT of sun from that south window.... But 6 years ago, they scraped a tiny house next to us, and built a 3 story house.... There went the sun, so no more plants to hang in there.... So I made that butterfly/flower hanging.

Straightened out the garage today, gave Lacee a bath in the sink.... (straddled her over both sinks) and now she is lovely, Ha!  Also working on a crochet afgan, (blanket) I had made, but took the bottom off, and going to leave it shortened, but add the yarn on top of the different colors, and it looks like ruffles!    It's made of different colors of pale pinks and cream.... 

Jackie, did you say something about stomach trouble?  I sometimes take Ranitidine.... they make 2 strengths, and it really helps my stomach problems when I have them.... I mean like heart-burn...etc.  I like the 150 mg.... or else take 2 75mg.....  If you take certain meds, they WILL mess up your stomach.

I STILL have to make that Angel Food Cake mix!  We just can't eat a whole cake, so that would be a lot better!

• Chevyboy
    edited February 2013

• ritajean
    ritajean Member Posts: 4,042
    edited February 2013

Wow Chevy!  You ARE creative!  I love the butterfly/flower arrangement!

We are enjoying the Florida sunshine.  I wish I could bottle it up and send it to those of you in colder climates.  It was 80 degrees today!  We tried salt water fishing. We caught some little fish but none that were big enough to keep.  There were some pelicans camped out in the water around the pier and we'd throw these little fish to them.  They tried to catch them.  It was fun to watch them.

Yesterday we golfed on a nice course on Cape Coral.  I did decently for me and it was so nice to be outside all afternoon, enjoying the lovely scenery and the warmth.  I could get used to this winter weather very easily.  The cats are also enjoying the screened-in lanai. 

I am hoping that the extra activity and the extra fresh produce that we're eating, will help to take off a few pounds this month.  I still have some pounds to lose since I'm finally off the Arimidex.

Waving at all of you and hoping that you're having a good week.

• camillegal
    edited February 2013

Rita it sounds perfect and glad u having such a wonderful time. U really have nice weather there now---we're still goofy here it's warmer but I have to check if snow is coming. They are getting loads way NE--that's all I know.  Have fun.

• illinoislady
    edited February 2013

The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved.

Victor Hugo

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,117
    edited February 2013

Rita, the fishing and the golf sound like so much fun!  Enjoy.

I've had a case of the "queasies" for several days.  Tuesday I started to feel nauseated so didn't eat any dinner that night.  The next day I felt better but I've been babying my stomach and not eating much.  And not drinking any alcohol. 

DH made a delicious chicken noodle soup while I was at the dentist's office this afternoon.  It was a perfect dinner with my home-made bread and butter.

We had rain last night and the ground is sopping wet again.  So no golf tomorrow.  I'm looking forward to a day with no appointments.

• camillegal
    edited February 2013

Carole I hope u'r not coming down with something, u'r DH is so nice. That's wonderful--try to take it easy a little.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited February 2013

Hello to my friends, I wrote a catch-up post last night but this AM it is not here so....
    I just cannot keep up on the boards from Mon to Wed due to late nights at work.  Termite, I'm with you....Long days leave little down time.  How is the snow in Chicago?  I texted my DS there but no answer yet.  It is his first winter in Chi and it's been cold.  He lives in the corn cob - Marina Towers.
    I couldn't sleep - Wednesday night I was awake until 3 AM then up at 7...now, I went to bed about 12 and woke up at 3:30. 
    I am awaiting the first snow this morning... a dusting before it warms and heavy rains arrive.  It should turn to snow late afternoon.  We are destined to get a foot or more.  I am not in the mood to be snowbound.  Worst case scenario is 50 mph winds and power outages.  No thank you...
    We have all we need and a large kerosene heater, but no generator.
    I will go to work this AM then come home to hibernate for the week end.
    Carole, I did not realize that Mardi Gras began 12 days after Christmas.  (Do you have King's cake?) I've never been to NO but family members have.  I've heard it's a great city.  Speaking about Manhattan, I am 80 miles away on L.I. east end; 2 hours by slow train from my town; but faster to drive in on a week end.  Parking costs $25 to 35 and is available everywhere.  My DGS who I raised lives in residential area upper east side, and I just saw his apartment for the first time. 
    Rita, while I love hearing about your getting settled in Fl, it's a little hard to take with a foot of snow on the way.. But I hope you have a wonderful day.Cool 
    I'll check in later unless the lites go out!
    Joan
    Bonnets, what's your latest forecast?

• camillegal
    edited February 2013

Hi Joan--Marina Towers Downtown Chi--beautiful there--we pretty much had the snow here--I'm about 35 miles from Downtown--yesterday snowed but just a couple of inches and I think we're done.??? but u never know--not to cold now just wintery but being near the lake they might get more and more wind too. My DD works Downtown so she wethers that wind everyday and worked there for 15 yrs and loves it so I guess it's doable. Not for me but for some. It looks like we might get rain on Sunday. A lot of bad weather has missed us this year.  So there is u'r weather report Joan. LOL

• joan811
    edited February 2013

Thanks, Camille!  DS is having a tough adjustment because Chi in the winter is not a time to get out and meet people.  He works too much as well...(on State Street a few blocks up from the river).  Seems like Chi is a bit drier since it is on the west of the lake.  Snow hasn't been bad but he said it's c-o-l-d.  We were supposed to visit him in Feb. but he came here instead for super bowl BD and friends.
    Am still in bed, trying to decide whether to go to work. 
    Thanks for the weather update!
    J

• camillegal
    edited February 2013

Oh Geeze he doesn't know anyone--that stinks--my DD works in the bldg right next to the Sears Tower. But she lives closer to me so she takes a train everyday. One thing about Downtown u don't need a car, u either walk or take a cab whichever so that's kind of nice. Like NY and it is a beautiful city. But when it's warm there is so much to do with Navy Pier and the Park and the Lake--so he'll be OK.

• joan811
    edited February 2013

Camille, his lease re-ups automatically in May for a year so he is planning to stay.  He just broke off a deep friendship from NY which had turned into untimely long distance relationship so I was (am) worried about him.  But you are right...time will help and spring will be good for him.
    J

• camillegal
    edited February 2013

II don't blame u Joan--especially when they break a relationship--but there are so many people to meet where he is, it's a good thing.

• illinoislady
    edited February 2013

Mountains inspire awe in any human person who has a soul.  They remind us of our frailty, our unimportance, of the briefness of our span upon this earth.  They touch the heavens, and sail serenely at an altitude beyond even the imaginings of a mere mortal.

Elizabeth Aston

• illinoislady
    edited February 2013

Running late today.....bbrrrrr.  I like the cold for a bit.....as I do enjoy a good snow or two since we live out  in the woods.  Snow time is different here....nothing to bother the sereneness of a lazy snowdrift up against a balsam bush and a red Cardinal resting there looking for something ---- sshhhh, maybe his mate.  But it can be nice and if the snow comes from lots of upper atmosphere moisture than it is big lazy flakes and actually makes for a "warn" snow.  At those times I don't button or zip my coat as I get too hot and sweat. 

I do think though that Chicago ( so much wind ) can be much colder than here and I do understand. It is I'm sure not full of the invitation that living in the country can have. 

Joan stay warm....and I think your GS will find Spring & Summer much more inviting in Chicago and hopefully be really glad he is there.

Glad you sound on the mend Carole...my stomach seldom if ever registers negatively and for that I'm very grateful.  In fact, I swore I had so much trouble with chemo because I couldn't tell what nausea was anymore and by the time I figured it out.....I was already standing over a good place to deal with it.  Anyway.....glad you are feeling better.....I think if I could get my DH to cook something that sounds so appetizing on paper.....mmmmm, I'd never have tummy troubles again.

See you all later and hope you have a fabulous Friday.

Love & peace,

Jackie

• duckyb1
    duckyb1 Member Posts: 9,646
    edited February 2013

Ladies...speaking of Chicago, I will be there in April. My grandson is getting married at St. Patrick's Cathedral His reception is at the Double Tree on Ohio Ave. he and his brother left our area to work there, and love it. They both work for JP Morgan Chase in Downtown Chicago. They own a beautiful Condo which overlooks the Lake, whatever that means.

I have never flown, and am petrified, but the flight is booked,and I can't not go. This boy is the love of my life, and thinks I am brave for getting on a plane for him......he has no clue....none of my family will drive, and nearing 78, no way I can do it.....oh we'll guess I have to put on my big girl panties. Lol

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,117
    edited February 2013

Good for you, ducky!  Sounds like the wedding and reception will be worth the trip.

Chicago is a great city to visit.  DH grew up in a suburb, Oak Forest, that was rural when he was a kid.  Now all those fields have been built into shopping centers and subdivisions.  I always enjoyed our trips into the city.  It's fun to walk down Michigan Ave, to visit the museums and the planetarium, to go to the Taste of Chicago.  Of course, the city has fabulous restaurants.  With fabulous prices! 

I'm still not "up to snuff."  Wonder where that expression came from.  I managed a 30 min. walk this morning and then went out to attend to a couple of errands.  This afternoon all I'm accomplishing is getting laundry done.  If I'm not feeling like my normal self by next week, I'll make an apptment with my PC dr. 

Hope everyone has a good weekend.

• Chevyboy
    edited February 2013

Carole, I think you have been "snuffing" too much tobacco,...Ha, ha!  I don't know where that term came from, but I know "they" rub  the tobacco on their gums!  Eeeeuwwww!    Maybe you have some sort of bug? 

Sorry, can't work today...  ... I has a bug!

• camillegal
    edited February 2013

Oh Ducky u'll love just being at the wedding, it's beautiful there--but I have to say flying is not a favorite thing of mine --it isn't a long flight tho, take something if u have it--I would. U'll have a great time.

Carole I'm sorry u're still not feeling well--if it continues u know to call the Dr. so but up to snuff isn't that from the old English days with white powdered wigs--they'd carry these little boxes aroung and sniff them whenever--it might have been coke who knows there weren't many ruls those days and if they didn't feel weel they didn't sniff it. So they weren't up to snuff. Sounds good.

Who's got the bad weather it's going all toward the NE I think we've had some snow but not like them.

• termite
    termite Member Posts: 238
    edited February 2013

Hi Joan- it is beautiful where your son lives in Chicago. We did not get a lot of snow here. Your DS will love the city especially in the spring and summer. 

Camillegal, where abouts in illinois do you live. we live about 40 miles outside Chicago.

Ducky= You will have a good time in Chicago in April.Lots of things to see and do in the spring. I do not mind flying but I prefer to have someone along with me. The flight from PA is not that long of a flight. I have flown to PA to see my DS and family in Wayne, PA. by myself  a few times. By the time I got into a good book we were landing.

Rita - enjoy florida, the weather sounds great.

Jackie -glad your beginning to feel better

This weekend is for cleaning, laundry and cleaning out some cabinets and closets. I am not sitting for any grandkids this weekend although the kids might stop by if the weather is not bad.

Everyone have a great weekend!

• camillegal
    edited February 2013

Termite I live just a few blocks from Centra Dupage Hospital--Between, Wheaton, Winfield and West Chog. unincorporated.

• joan811
    edited February 2013

Hi from snowy Long Island.  Am fine here...had about 3-4" mixed with rain off and on...but it just changed over to all snow and is piling up...still only about 6" so far.  Others on the north shore of LI have over 30".

Thanks for the cheers for Chicago.  I have to visit DS there soon.  I was there once for a wedding in a small mansion...shopped Michigan Ave...but more fun for me was the art museum and the natural history museum with a newly found T-Rex fossil.
    Hi Ducky, I hope you aren't piling up too much snow.  The flight to Chicago is so short...but still, I have anxiety flying due to claustrophobia.  I usually take Xanax but on a short flight maybe just a half so I am not loopy when I get there. 
    It is so great that you will see this wedding.  You will be so glad you went.
    Jackie, I love your description of your peaceful snow scene.  I love when the snow is untouched.

Bonnets, how are you doing?  I'm just glad to have power tonight.
    I had a nap today so I'm up late.
    Be safe and stay warm!
    Joan

• illinoislady
    edited February 2013

It is neither wealth nor splendor;
    but tranquility and occupation which give you happiness.
    - Thomas Jefferson

• illinoislady
    edited February 2013

Good Saturday morning.  I'm looking at your last post Joan....and wondering.  It does not actually sound like NY is getting the huge amt. of snow that other close states are getting, but I think it still isn't too pleasant.  The newscasts this morning were sounding at times just horrid.  We so seldom get much around here......about the most we have had since I've been back home was 14 inches which I don't consider ( it was the big fluffy flakes ) bad at all.  Those snows come when it is warmer usually so start melting the next day and not all that slowly either.  I feel so for all the people who are being majorly inconvenienced I'm sure.

It is true though.....no matter where you live there is going to be something, some time.  Earthquakes, fires, floods, tornadoes, landslides -- so everyone at some time will deal with the harshness of where you live.  I will be thinking of all those people and hoping that the storm is over soon and power can be set back to rights sooner rather than later.

Hope you are all going to have a good Saturday.  I was sure ready for it.  I'll be doing pretty much my usual today.  Not too much.....it is so nice to have my kids living here and handling so much.  I feel spoiled and lazy  --- and hope I don't really get that way. 

Peace & love,

JackieLaughing

• mommarch
    mommarch Member Posts: 534
    edited February 2013

Good Morning Ladies,  some bad news here. DD miscarried yesterday evening.  I feel so bad for them.  Its better now than later. DH and I have had a good cry.  Grandaughter called this morning she is real sad.  SIL is installing a dishwasher today, that should help with the chores.  For the first time in a long time our DD has been happy. Why do bad things have to happen to good people.

We are to have wind up to 55 miles an hour starting at some point today and tomorrow.Guess we had better hold on to our hats.  Well I need to go to town and get a few groceries I really don't want to as it is a 20 mile drive one way.  Better to it done before the wind starts.   Hugs

• illinoislady
    edited February 2013

mommarch, I am so sorry to hear about your daughter.  I know it is said that when this happens.....something was wrong and it is nature's way to handle the problem....but it still takes a toll.  So hard to reverse all the dreams, hopes, plans and everything that had such a promising start.

I hope your weather is not going to be so severe as that the the Eastern seaboard is getting right now.  I know what you mean about the groceries.....we need more here and though the weather is fine.....sometimes you just wish you didn't have to, just because.

Hope everything else is well.

Peace & love,

Jackie

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,922
    edited February 2013

Mommarch, So sorry to hear the news. It's always hard when it's your daughter, knowing how disappointed you all must be. ((((HUGS))))

• duckyb1
    duckyb1 Member Posts: 9,646
    edited February 2013

Mommarch....so sorry, but I can share a story...I am approaching 78 yrs. old. When I was pregnant with my 2nd of the 6 children, which was only 4months after delivering the 1st, I started spotting. Friends pregnant at the same time were having problems too. Their Dr's gave them something at the time to hold their babies from a miscarriage. Mine would not, even though I questioned him and said why not. .........this was his answer(and he was Jewish).....that is God's way of getting rid of a baby that should not be born, so I don't believe in challenging God. At the time I thought....your a fool..I carried my daughter full term, and she was perfect........however, my friends who took the drug to hold their daughters, now have daughters with a condition (can't think of the name), that makes them have a greater %of getting uterine, or cervical cancers........it began with a D I think........so many times I thought....guess my little Jewish Dr knew best........it's still very sad, and a loss non the less. Just thought that was an interesting story from long ago. Hugs to all of you