Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,629
    edited April 2013

When we choose not to focus on what is missing from our lives but are grateful for the abundance that's present--love, health, family, friends, work, the joys of nature, and personal pursuits that bring us pleasure--the wasteland of illusion falls away and we experience heaven on earth.

Sarah Ban Breathnach

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711
    edited April 2013

Oh Carole u'r poor niece and sister it's so hard. My DD was on so much before they settled to the ones tht worked and it was simply Depakote and some kind  of B?P med. Even Lithium didn't work at at that time that was the go to drug, then it went from there. When she had my Grandson, she was in the hospital almost 5 months and then they gave her ECT-A series and that helped so much, but it took another 3,4 months to settle into being a Mom. I took care of Joey all that ime that's why we bonded so tight. But the hallucinations and the voices are horrendous. So far she's balanced havin a blood panel down every so often--and I give my SIL so much credit he stuck threw this. Prayers are going for u'r niece I understand this too much. And I know there are much better drugs out there now.

• kathindc
    kathindc Member Posts: 1,667
    edited April 2013

Carole, saying prayers for your niece and sister.  Mental illness is a frustrating road to travel.  Trying to find the right doctor, the right medicine(s) and then staying on them when feeling better.  ((((HUGS))))

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,922
    edited April 2013

Carole, Sending healing thoughts for your niece. Finding the right med and dose is almost an art. It's like finding a station on a radio dial. And the spot on the dial is different for each person. Once it's tweaked, it's almost a miracle.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,119
    edited April 2013

Thanks for the prayers and good wishes for my niece.

Playing golf today was therapeutic. I feel more hopeful.

• stcharleschick
    stcharleschick Member Posts: 17
    edited April 2013

Good afternoon, everyone. I haven't been on in a few day and trying to catch up. Carole, thinking of you and your family while your niece struggles with such a difficult illness.

• illinoislady
    edited April 2013

Carole, been running behind more than anything else and feel bad I haven't told you I'm thinking of you.  I sure hope the next hospital is much better at caring for your niece and maybe will work hard to find something that works better.  She ( if memory serves ) has had this as a very long standing problem and so I would think it could be difficult to work with but sure should be possible. 

Peace and love

Jackie

• illinoislady
    edited April 2013

You don't have the power to make life "fair,"
    but you do have the power to make life joyful.
    - Jonathan Lockwood Huie

• LindaJD
    LindaJD Member Posts: 134
    edited April 2013

Hi Ladies,

I survived the surgery!  Wednesday was a very long day to say the least.  I was @ the hospital by 7am.  Went to Nuclear medicine for 2 hours for the dye contrast.  Then to Radiology for the needle localization (ouch!) They wouldn't let me use my numbing cream for either procedure!  Surgery lasted about 90 minutes & then recovery.  I was nauseous as soon as I woke up so I was given 2 different anti-nausea drugs, which worked.  I was back @ my Mom's house by 5:45pm. Groggy & in pain.  Didn't sleep well at all the first night.  On Thursday, I was nauseous again & starting throwing up & running to the bathroom.  I knew it was too good to be true that I did NOT get sick right after the surgery!!  I was sick the whole day & didn't eat anything.  Yesterday seemed a little better.  My younger sister came here (I'm staying @ my Mom's house for awhile) & she helped me shower & washed my hair.  It felt wonderful!! 

The surgeon removed 3 lymph nodes & some tissue surrounding the tumor & now I have to wait for the pathology report.  Hopefully I will hear something by Monday!  I'm am so glad the surgery is done!  I am grateful to all of you here that helped me through this, gave me such good advice & prepared me for what to expect. I LOVE the seamless bras from JCP!! The button down shirts have made it easier to get dressed for sure! 

Hope everyone here is doing okay.  I don't have much time left on my data internet card, so I will check back in a few days.  Hugs to all!!

Linda

• ptdreamers
    ptdreamers Member Posts: 639
    edited April 2013

Glad the surgery went well. Sorry about the nausea. Take care and remember to not lift or stretch overhead for t he next few days until your surgeon says you can.

• bonnets
    bonnets Member Posts: 737
    edited April 2013

Liinda,

GLad things went OK. I know the waiting is the worst part. Hopefully you will get the report quickly. Glad the bras are working for you.

• illinoislady
    edited April 2013

Hugs to you Linda.  Sorry for your nausea.  Too bad they couldn't have sent you home with a couple of whatever they gave you at the hospital for it.  Hope you just get better and better.  The good part of the down side which is what you just had, is the up side which should be there by now.

Peace and love,

Jackie

• ritajean
    ritajean Member Posts: 4,042
    edited April 2013

Chevy, that green orchid is just lovely and I like you arrangement!  Such a knack you have!

Linda, so glad that your surgery is behind you and that you are home.  I slept the first few nights in a recliner.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a good path report for you!  Take care and don't over-do!

I have another cold.  I imagine this crazy weather has a little to do with it but I'm really worried about my immune system, which seems to be on vacation most of the time now.

Carole, so glad you could work out some of your stress with a game of golf.  Our temperatures were warm enough today to golf but we had 40mph winds and that just wouldn't make it much fun!  I'm hoping that we can get out there later this next week.  It looks like we have some more rain heading our way early in the week.

I'm going to take my book and curl up with a cup of hot tea.

Hello to everyone!

• stcharleschick
    stcharleschick Member Posts: 17
    edited April 2013

Hello everyone,

Linda, I am glad the surgery is behind you and you are on the road to recovery.  I found that a small pillow under my breast (I slept on my right side, surgery on my left) gave me some support.  Just an idea.

We are still in your pocket as you wait for your results.

I went to the MO on Wednesday and was pleasantly surprised.  He told me that, in my situation, that aromatase inhibitors cause a moderate improvement in BC coming back.  It is entirely up to me.  My husband and I have been talking about this but I don't have to let the MO know my decision until I finish radiation.  Quite frankly, my family tree is loaded with cancerous fruit. I think I am going to give it a try.  He also said that if I decide to take the aromatase inhibitors, I should go into it thinking that I might not last the whole 5 years (if the side effects are bad). He is so logical!!

Happy Saturday night everyone!!!

Sandy

• camillegal
    edited April 2013

Linda, I'm glad this surgery is done--but of course sorry about the nausea--u'r sister is so sweet to help u shower and u'r hair cleaned that such a good feeling afterword.

Sandy (meds) I'm holding on as long as I can--but I think this year I'll ask for a change see it there's a difference--the only thing is I don't know what anything is from?? Alot of chemo, rads or aromasin or age. hahaha so it's a toss up.

I was thinking it's around 10PM and I remember back in the day this was the time I was going out to party, now it nightgowns and computer and meds. LOL

Rita u r always getting a cold is right. Maybe u need some vitamins, I know u take them but maybe u'r low.

Hope everyone has a good Sunday with nicer weather coming--

And Carole I'm praying for u'r niece, it can be a long road, but it usually comes out all right with the right meds--sometimes it's not the /drs. it's the combo of meds for her system for it to work and there are a lot.

• illinoislady
    edited April 2013

Learn to get in touch with the silence within yourself, and know that
    everything in life has purpose.  There are no mistakes, no
    coincidences, all events are blessings given to us to learn from.~~~~~~~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross

• termite
    termite Member Posts: 238
    edited April 2013

Hi Ladies,

I have not been on for awhile. Working at a different center to help out but the hours are long. By the time I get home, we have dinner (which DH makes) and clean up it is time to call it a night.

Linda, so glad your surgery is over, thoughts are with you while waiting for results.

Carole, praying for your niece. She is lucky to have you.

Ritajean, hope your cold is better.

Still trying to catch up on all the posts.

Hope everyone has a nice Sunday.

• Kaara
    Kaara Member Posts: 2,101
    edited April 2013

Carole:  Prayers for your niece and sending you positive energy.   Sometimes you just have to "detach from the outcome" as Depok Chopra says.  Sadly, we can't fix everything.

• bonnets
    edited April 2013

Hi all,

Had a really nice day today. I have pre-surg testing today. Imagine the will also want me to be cleared by my cardio, had to for the lumpectomy.

So far the most SE from the Arimidex is  the arthritis is worse, can live with it if that's all. Weight is always a challenge, and the cholesterol seems under control with meds.

Linda hope all is  much better today!

• pattithenurse
    pattithenurse Member Posts: 57
    edited April 2013

I did something wrong! It didn't post?! okay...I'm 65,diagnosed in Jan. Stage 2,Grade 3 IDC. Had surgery,dissection and am now on Cytoxan,Taxotere. I'll have radiation,then hormone therapy. I'll go in for round #3 on Thursday. I'm only doing 4 rounds. Maybe my age?! Could that be?! It's impacted my life,for sure. I had healthy up until this!! Nice to have this place to share. Wishing all of you the best!!

• illinoislady
    edited April 2013

Welcome pattiethenurse,

Well, it seems it finally did post and I'm glad.  Glad you found us here......we are all fairly seasoned here, and some of us are really old-timers here. 

As to your chemo, usually you and the oncologist decide from your path report the things to do ( different chemo's and how much ) that will give you the best chance of eradicating all of the cancer from anywhere that it may be.  I had 8 rounds of my chemo.....4 ( 1 rd. every three weeks ) of Adriamycin and Cytoxin together, and then 4 ( 1 rd. every 3 weeks ) of Taxotere.  So 6 mos. worth all together. 

It is a life changer.  I feel for anyone with this disease but for us seasoned ladies for the most part we have our kids grown, hopefully thru college, married and having families of their own.  It must be so difficult for some of the younger gals. 

Well, we are good at hand-holding, having fun, or being serious, sharing recipes sometimes and just trying to be good friends to each other.  Since we do go through this un-wanted sorority it is safety net of a sorts for us. 

Hope you will feel free to come often.

Peace and love,

Jackie

• ptdreamers
    ptdreamers Member Posts: 639
    edited April 2013

Welcome pattithenurse. We are a pretty supportive group.

• camillegal
    edited April 2013

Welcome Pattie--Hope this all goes by fast for u with minimal SE's. We're a good group here have a lot in common, beside this beast and all these ladies are so with it and come often and let us know how u'r doing.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,119
    edited April 2013

Welcome, Pattie.  Sure hope your treatment does the job and isn't too hard on you. 

Hi to everyone else.  Have a good Monday.

• illinoislady
    edited April 2013

The voice of your soul is your inner guidance system – your intuition. Listen
    closely and it will tell you how to turn your highest potential into reality. ~
    Susan Rueppel

• illinoislady
    edited April 2013

pt....just noticed your spring-time flowers which look like yellow tulips......so pretty and Carole has flowers behind her too.  We had a doozer of a storm late yesterday afternoon.  Lots of noise in the thunderstorm and a whole lot of hail which thankfully stayed small.....about pea size.  My daughter loved it.  California generally in the southern areas anyway, just doesn't have things like that. 

Have had temps at or near or slightly over the 70 degree mark ( that is what sponsored the big storm ) so things are turning green fairly fast.  Mainly the big ravine areas each side of our house but the wild forsythia along the lane coming in here to the woods is all bright yellow.  I really welcome Spring.  Winter seemed long and boring this season.  I hope we do not get back into the drought situation of last summer.  Hoping, always hoping. 

See you all later.

Love and peace,

Jackie

• bonnets
    edited April 2013

Welcome to you Pattithenurse. It is difficult being on the other side, as an "old" nurse, sometimes we know too much1 Good luck with your chemo.

To the Illinois gals, see its spring now, but by the time I get there on Thurs. I will need to bring winter clothes, Phooo!

Off to pre-surg testing this morning. Have a good day

• camillegal
    edited April 2013

Bonnets good luck.

Carole I hope u'r doing OK--u don't sound like Carole this morning. (((HUGS)))

Jackie u and u'r weather it's never like our altho we did have some rain , this morning too and now it so so windy--it's like a mini something or other and we're supposed to have rain ALL WEEK, but we need it so I hope it comes nicely. LOL

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,922
    edited April 2013

Joining the weather report here. Sunday was the highest rainfall for April 7 at 1.52". So far in  April we've had 3.10" (our normal monthly average is 2.71"). More rain and cold predicted this week and next weekend. Talk about tired of gray skies!! DH says our back yard is becoming a marsh. I'm thinking a visit to San Diego would be good about now.

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited April 2013

Hi gals!  Just a quick one..... I've still been out raking dead grass & pine needles, and getting ready for the "Winter Storm Warning" they say is coming tonight and tomorrow.  It's hard to believe right now, because it was 70 a little bit ago....  And THEN tomorrow is supposed to be 17 to 20....  and 10 to 12 inches of snow.  Oh well, the lettuce I planted should love it.... 

Okay, who was it that mentioned the Amusement parks here in Denver?  I live 2 blocks from Old Elitch's.... They relocated to down-town Denver about 10 years ago.....

And then also Lakeside!  That is really an old one, with a wooden trestle for the roller-coaster!  I used to love that place when I was a kid.  I worked at Elitch's when I was 15 and 16....  60 cents an hour.... but it was soooooo much fun!  

I think it was even more fun taking my little Grand-sons there!  And also Casa-Bonita!  

Okay, if I could remember what or who I read, I would be happy!  Wink And if I go back one page, I'll lose this post....  So I'll do better next time. 

Signing out from the land of the Spring/snow season.