Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,119
    edited April 2013

Regbeach, hugs for you and your mom.

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711
    edited April 2013

Reg I don't blame u for crying about the parking--it's just all to much a one time. But sure happy u'r mom is doing OK. and wonderful that u'r with her too.

• camillegal
    edited April 2013

BTW CAROLE it's been pouring all night --roads are closed, expressways are closed--even some schools--my GS is one so Joey's home today--So we've been hit hard--this shoud even our level for shortage of rain--I hope.

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited April 2013

Morning gals.... Regbeach.... SOOOOOO glad it is over!  Your Mom will feel so relieved now!  We know.... the waiting is the worst.   Sorry about the parking problem.... I think we've all been to that awful place at one time or another, when our heart is breaking, and we just can't think.  Yep, I can think of a few times.  But so glad he took care of you...  That meant a lot to you.  So see?  He must have been one of your guardian angels! 

Hi Rita!  Yes, it snowed about 10 inches last week, but didn't stick around on the pavement and sidewalks, but boy it sure did in our yards!  Then another 5 inches, and now the sun is coming up.... and it's looking good, Ha!  All ice out there right now....  A person could do a face-plant if they weren't careful!   But snow won't stick around once our sun comes out! 

Cammi!  Ha, ha!  Yes me too!  A size 2 when I was 2...  It's okay.... as long as we feel good.

And butter IS better for you than margarine, I've heard!  Did you hear about that woman, 102 I think, that had bacon every day?  I mean holy cow!  My Grandparents had bacon and eggs  every morning though, and they were quite old!  Grandpa used to have a piece of toast, with butter, sugar, and pour canned milk over it every morning also! 

I made Noodleburgers last night.... I just remember growing up with Mom making that.... always my favorite dinner!   Fried chopped hamburger, then adding a lot of chopped celery and onions.....  Add a can of chopped tomatoes, and a can of tomato sauce, a little water, simmer awhile.... add cooked noodles, and it is fit for a king!  Ha! 

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,629
    edited April 2013

There is no physician like cheerful thought for dissipating the ills of the body;
    there is no comforter to compare with good will for dispersing the shadows
    of grief and sorrow.  To live continually in thoughts of ill will, cynicism, suspicion,
    and envy, is to be confined in a self-made prison hole.  But to think well of all,
    to be cheerful with all, to patiently learn to find the good in all—such unselfish
    thoughts are the very portals of happiness; and to dwell day by day in thoughts
    of peace toward every creature will bring abounding peace to their possessor.

James Allen

• illinoislady
    edited April 2013

regbeach, whew !!!  Its done.  Of course, you had a melt-down.  You have had not only this diagnosis and operation on your mind, but the rest of your sweet mother's medical issues. All of us, over a variety of things reach that point of total vunerability for a hopefully short period of time and something we should be easily able to handle is what usually sets it off.  So, welcome to the club of typically normal and understandable.  I think it helps us re-plant our feet and rededicate ourselves to moving forward once again.

In the meantime....as Chevy so aptly put it, thank God for those guardian angels that get stashed in just the right spot to aid and abet us when we are at the point of total desperation and complete frustration with forward movement....they lend us their wings so we can get going.  That is part of what makes this world a wonderful place.  We really do never WALK alone....no matter how neglected, alone, and forgotten about we may sometimes feel -- WE are definitely watched over with love and devotion.  Prayers will continue for you and Mom to keep getting, even if slowly farther up the good ladder.

Peace and love,

Jackie 

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited April 2013

Jackie, sweet friend, that was beautiful! xoxoxoxo

• illinoislady
    edited April 2013

Fairly quiet out right now....I think the calm before the storm.  There was wind for a good part of the early morning hours and after I got up but it is quiet right now  Dh says it is about a half hour away from us before the nasty stuff arrives.  Well, we had temps that would have allowed us to keep our doors open all day....that is how warm it has been here for the past three days or so.

After this big storm the temps will plummet to the 40's....so a bit of nearly winter weather again.  Oh Spring.  This is the sort of see-sawing we deal with in this part of the country though.  There are many, many little leaves out on the trees and we are eagerly awaiting full regalia. 

I hope you all have a quiet day.....and no more rain for Camille.

Peave and love to all,

Jackie

• bonnets
    bonnets Member Posts: 737
    edited April 2013

Been gone all day on a senior trip. Have my Kidney laser tomorrow morning. Dreading the stent they put in after. The  lumpectomy was a piece of cake mentally, compared to this!

RegBeach, glad your mom weathered her surgery OK, Be good to yourself and take a deep breath

Rainy and cold here. Hope you all have a good day.

• camillegal
    edited April 2013

Reg keep on going, u'r doing good.

Bonnets as soon as u can please post so we know how u r doing---OK Good Luck

• jennifer1
    jennifer1 Member Posts: 113
    edited April 2013

Hi , hope everyone is ok.  This the bad time of year for me so I will be back more after my bloodwork, mammo.  Third mammo and still fret, guess that normal.  Went back to Arimidex, that tamo had to go.  Havent been able to catch up yet but Carol seems to still be swinging and Jackie enjoying life.  If all goes well with the upcoming checks going on vacation to Deadwood SD.  Huband wont go so I will go alone.  Hope this happens but lots of factors come into play.  Gosh Kansas has been rainy but seems to be over and havent gotten those lovely Kansas days yet.  We did have tornado warning yesterday so that is normal.

Reg just read about your mom, glad things are good.   

Everyone have a good one, will try reading and catching up again 

• camillegal
    edited April 2013

Jennifer I haope all does go well for you and tell us how u'r vacation goes too.

• jennifer1
    jennifer1 Member Posts: 113
    edited April 2013

Thanks Cami, I think its all ok and I cant go on vacation until end of may or june , not sure yet.   I dont have scans just regular stuff and I have a doctor from hell when it comes to bloodwork.  Last time I did fasting my blood sugar came in at 101 (and I broke fast) and she still wants it under 100.  I have to go without coffee and take xanax before I see her or she will start on me about blood pressure.  By the way I like her, she is tough.  Her mother is in India and had bc so she is good with that.  Worries more about blood sugar than bc, so be it.

The news has worn me out lately.  First Boston and now West Texas.  Gosh I wish i could make everything alright for everyone, its all so sad

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited April 2013

Hi - can't remember if I posted recently...that's how crazy my week has been. 
    I may have mentioned I was away with DDs and their families for 5 days - wonderful trip to Turks & Caicos...total relaxation and perfect everything.  No stress.  (DH stayed home)
    Lots going on here....Chevy, you're not even talking about the snow that caused the NY Mets to be snowed out twice in Denver....LOL...snow or no snow, they lost.
    Reg, your mom is so blessed to have you to take care of the details ... I'm really in awe of your efforts.  Here's to a good recovery and test results.
    Jackie, you are my weather person...whatever happens to you usually makes it over to me in about a day and a half...more rain? I see low temps in the 30s ahead.  We are planting a seed lawn on Saturday....between the hungry birds and the rain, I wonder if anything will come up. 
    I am getting used to all the little spruce, fir and pine trees we planted last week end.  They are very pretty but we need more privacy cover since we tore down our woodland.  I want to plant shrubs but the deer will be a factor but they will be waiting at the "buffet". 

• illinoislady
    edited April 2013

We plant seeds that will flower as results in our lives, so best to remove the weeds of anger, avarice, envy, and doubt, that peace and abundance may manifest for all.

Dorothy Day

• illinoislady
    edited April 2013

(((Jennifer))))) hope all the tests come out just fine.  No matter how long out you are, there is still a bit of apprehension and some good old fashioned dread beforehand. 

Joan...oh boy.  Well, our weather should be clear today....no more rain I hope.  Yesterday we had some tornado threats going on and had to take my friend to get some tests at the hospital.  Her daughter helped......don't think one could have done it well.  Of course, a few hours after the rain stopped is when our cold weather returned....in the 40's is not that cold unless everything is wet outside -- which it is, and as well about 45 degrees cooler than the day before.  We are not thrilled this morning.

Fortunately we will definitely have sun tomorrow and with the temps getting up into 50's and 60's we will be ok.  I'm sure this is going to pop out tons more of those leaves on the trees that are waking up after this past winter.  Things will be well, if a bit wet from all the rivers rising.  I hope no one has serious flood damage though I guess there are a few places ( not too local ) that are already dealing with flood problems.  Here's hoping and praying for nothing too serious.

Love and peace,

Jackie

• ritajean
    ritajean Member Posts: 4,042
    edited April 2013

SUNSHINE HERE!!!  I'm so excited, even if the temps are pretty cold out there yet this morning!

Hope everyone is doing well!  I'll check back in later!

Love your quote today Jackie!  What good advice!

• camillegal
    edited April 2013

Jackie Love the quote---

Well lot of the area here got overloaded with water and flooded, my sister, her dgtrs and alot of other people--it's a mess--traines, the els and u couldn't get around the whole area--No sun today yet and cold (damp)6-9 inches in a lot of areas--we actually lucked out rigt in our area--lots of rain but damage minimal. No tornadoes around here.

• stcharleschick
    stcharleschick Member Posts: 17
    edited April 2013

Good morning, Ladies! I wanted to think that the wind was carrying blossoms from the bradford pear trees but noooooooooo...they were snowflakes!  I'm good with crazy weather but my DH is losing it! He loves order: Spring should have Spring weather, Summer should have summer weather, I think you get my drift.

Back to the RO on Monday.  I think this is the practice run.  The Rad Therapist said this appointment will take longer than most radiation appointments.  Anyone have scoop on this type of appointment?  Also, Linda will want to know.  She is right behind me on her rad appointments.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Chick

• regbeach
    regbeach Member Posts: 84
    edited April 2013

Thank you, everyone, for your notes and well wishes.  Jackie- "meltdown" was a good word.  My boyfriend/domestic partner travels alot for work.  It is a new job with more responsibility so he has been absorbed by it.  When I called him in tears right after mom went into surgery, he just told me that I need to be strong.  I don't think he gets my meltdowns.  So, I appreciate the empathy here.  When I emailed his mother the same story I wrote here, she emailed back that "my brother should've been with me."  I just have to dismiss it and not even try to stand-up for my brother.  I need to spend my energy taking care of the present moments. 

Chick and Linda, my mom will be right behind you with radiation.  Her first appointment is May 3, the day after path report.

Warm here at NJ shore- mid-60s, but 50s are back this weekend.

• LindaJD
    LindaJD Member Posts: 134
    edited April 2013

ritajean; Just thought I'd let you know I'm reading " A Reliable Wife" by Robert Goolrick.  Takes place in 1907.  Quite interesting!  You're right about fiber; I can't tolerate it either, or seeds, or corn.

Sorry girls; I wish I weighed more than I do!  I hate being only 90 lbs.  If I could pig out on all the junk food in the world & not get sick, I would do it!!! 

Regbeach, glad your Mom's surgery is over!  Waiting is the worst.  I know how you feel; since my surgery, my mind has gone to mush.  Might be because still not sleeping that well. 

Homemade chicken soup for dinner tonight!  Been raining here all day & very windy.  Good day for soup!

Buonanotte!

Linda

• illinoislady
    edited April 2013

If I didn't live so far away I'd be trying to weasel a dinner invite.  I love homemade soup....almost any kind.

Peace and love,

Jackie

• LindaJD
    LindaJD Member Posts: 134
    edited April 2013

Jackie, anytime you're welcome for dinner!  Soup was mmmm good! 

Bonnets; Hope your laser treament went as well as can be expected.

Reg beach & Chick;  Good luck on Monday, Chcik, w/ your appt.   I have my appt on April 24th for Radiation.  Getting anxious about it. 

Joan 811; where about do you live on Long Island?  My older son lives there; in Ronkonkoma.

"Joy & Sorrow are inseparable.  Together they come and when one sits alone with you......remember that the other is asleep upon your bed." 

Linda

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited April 2013

Jackie,
    I love the seeds quote...very appropriate....so now, when the birds start eating the seeds, I will not shoe them...I will claim that they are taking away the negative thoughts so they don't take root in my life!   

Was worried about you Illinois ladies....my DS did not reveal any logistical problems from the rains...he lives on the Chicago River but he's at least 40 floors up.  And he walks to work. 

Chick, the practice session is probably shorter than the planning session...but longer than a regular rads session due to positioning and adjustments. I don't think it will be that long for you. 

Linda, I live on the south shore, out east.  But I work in Selden, right next to Ronkonkoma.  And I take the train to NY from Ronkonkoma :-)
    So, when are you coming to LI?

Bonnets, hope all went well.

So glad for my Boston friends and acquaintences that it will be possible to sleep tonight...glad the immediate crisis is over.  Thoughts and prayers to those who live there or have loved ones there....healing will take a long time.
    Hugs! 

• bonnets
    bonnets Member Posts: 737
    edited April 2013

Hi  ladies,

Didn't get home  til last night as I was feeling nauseius and throwing up. Finally gave me  someting iV and inhected and sent me off home. Experiencing some crampiness, but that hopefully is the worst of it. I get the stent out on Monday.

Rads ladies, the sessions took less time than the drive to have them. Everyone was extremely nice. Got a good laugh the day I put smilie face stickers on my boob! You  will find yourself counting down the days til you are finished, and dont have to plan it into your day. I took early appts and was in and out quickly.

Raining some here, poured last night, with thunder and lightening. Have a good day 

• camillegal
    edited April 2013

Good Morning Ladies

Chic I can't remember but r u having reg. rads??? if u are it's just a positioning thing to make sure they go where they are supposed to go exactly and tas--if that what u'r having but I know lately I've been readin about newer rads and I forget who's getting them.

Reg u'r doing a great job so try not to et u'r feelings get hurt. It's hard to understand for others what u'r going thru--but u'r handling it well.

Oh it's dampy chilly here chicken soup sounds great. We had company all day and evening yesterd so ordered a pizza so I didn't eat--I love pizza but the chesse is to hard to digest for me. LOL So I would have liked chicken soup. Yummy.

And of course we watched Boston--so glad they caught him. What a terrible time that they are having. And so mmany people mourning it's reall so very sad for our whole country.

And althi this is not the same in anyway--the roads here are still closed at least last nught--so much damage to homes and businesses, Mother Nature can be a bitch, let's face it. we were lucky in our area but all around and farther just got slammed with floods.

O my sweet grandson just made me coffe and it's perfect. Oh he's so good to me---I'm so blessed.

• illinoislady
    edited April 2013

When you live in the present moment, time stands still.  Accept your circumstances
    and live them.  If there is an experience ahead of you, have it!  But if
    worries stand in your way, put them off until tomorrow.  Give yourself
    a day off from worry.  You deserve it.  Some people live with a low-grade
    anxiety tugging at their spirit all day long.  They go to sleep with it,
    wake up with it, carry it around at home, in town, to church,
    and with friends.  Here’s a remedy:  Take the present moment
    and find something to laugh at.  People who laugh, last.

Barbara Johnson

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,119
    edited April 2013

Good morning.  The sun is shining and the woods across the street look very pretty.  The temp. was supposed to get down into the 40's last night, unseasonably cold for late April.  Sleeping was good with a window open in the bedroom.

Not quite sure what I will do today except I do plan to go for a 3 mi. walk after I finish this post.  Tonight we have tickets for the Abita Opry.  Looking forward to that.

Glad the manhunt is over.  The only plus in the whole Boston bombing episode was the police work, which was very impressive.  I think the brothers underestimated how quickly their identity would become known.  Such a shame and a waste that they had the benefit of spending years in the US with freedom and squandered the gift they'd been given.  And also shamed their family.  The younger brother seemed to have made a positive impression on everyone who knew him, but obviously he hid a part of himself that was capable of great evil. 

I hope we get more answers in the next couple of weeks. 

Wishing everyone a good Saturday.

• illinoislady
    edited April 2013

Morning everyone....not too much to do today, but thank goodness the sun is finally out.  I can bloom, bloom, bloom.  Thrilled as well that Boston is off lock-down and they can once again leave their homes and do what they need to do.  On the early morning reports here.....Bostom now has our rain.  Just glad it was not happening yesterday as that would have made more difficulties in the capture.

Anyway, I'll be back a little later.

Peace and love,

Jacie

• ritajean
    ritajean Member Posts: 4,042
    edited April 2013

Good morning everyone!  SUSNSHINE....Today is already better than yesterday!  :-)  It's still really cold here so I don't think I'll be working out in the flower beds today but the sunshine always lifts my spirits.

I am also glad that the Boston episode has ended and the people in that area can get on again with their lives.  What a terrible thing! There are so many disturbed people in our world. 

Linda, thanks for the book referral.  I'll look for that the next time I go to the library.  I've never read anything by Goolrick before so it will be fun to give him a try.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do today.  Tonight we are going to see the movie "42."  We've heard great things about it so I hope it's as good as the reviews.  We're even grabbing a sandwich before we go so I don't even have to cook!  YEA!

Everyone have a nice Saturday!