Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Poll - How old were you when dx with BC

Options

Comments

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 7,876
    edited October 2009
    Options

• AnneN
    AnneN Member Posts: 18
    edited October 2009
    Options

49 and stage IV at initial diagnosis.

My onc thinks the "benign cyst" I was diagnosed with two years before that was a missed diagnosis; she thinks it should have been biopsied and was probably already cancer then; if she's right, then I was 47. 

• AnneN
    AnneN Member Posts: 18
    edited October 2009
    Options

Maddy, I bet the women on this site are disproportionately young because the "senior citizens" are less likely to run to their computers and Google everything than we younger ones are! So there are more younger women discovering this site because there are more younger women looking for answers on the Web.

• navygirl
    navygirl Member Posts: 369
    edited October 2009
    Options

• Sherri_V
    Sherri_V Member Posts: 35
    edited October 2009
    Options

43, just found out earlier this month :(

• MaddyMason
    MaddyMason Member Posts: 7
    edited October 2009
    Options

AnneN- I think what you say makes a lot of sense. Although I've had a computer for 20 years, and even my 91 yo mom has a computer, few other people in that age bracket do, so quite likely you are right.

Let's hope it won't be long before polls start reading, "When were you cured?"

Hugggs! Maddy, Hudson Valley, NY

• Beth
    Beth Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2009
    Options

36 - first dx left breast

37 -right breast

• KEW
    KEW Member Posts: 450
    edited October 2009
    Options

48 when diagnosed.  Had mammograms yearly since age 30 because Mom died of bc when I was 26.  Clean mammo Oct. 2008, felt lump about 5 months later, dragged my feet and was diagnosed Oct. 2009.  PCP could not feel lump, but I did.

KarenW 

• kenzie57
    kenzie57 Member Posts: 13
    edited October 2009
    Options

44 first dx with stage IIb, then I think, 48 or maybe 49 with mets to the lung....

• lorieg
    lorieg Member Posts: 79
    edited November 2009
    Options

32 at diagnosis on August 21st of 2009

IBC, probably stage IV, mets to contralateral axillary lymph node (although my oncologist is still treating me as though I am stage III with an occult breastcancer on my "good" side), no major organ mets

• 4lumps
    4lumps Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2009
    Options
    31, but I felt the first two lumps at age 29.5 and the Dr. told me it was just a fibroadenoma
  • atheist
    atheist Member Posts: 4
    edited November 2009
    Options

aged 50.

• chk8
    chk8 Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2009
    Options

37 - Stage II IDC

41 - local recurrence

42 - DCIS on other side

52 - mets to bone

55 - mets to liver

• anamary1
    anamary1 Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2009
    Options

35 then, 36 now.

• RobinWendy
    RobinWendy Member Posts: 7
    edited November 2009
    Options

I was 43 at initial dx of IDC in left breast.  Then DCIS on right breast at 44 and then mets at 46.  I'm BRCA1 and 2 negative and will be showing this thread to my 23 year old daughter.  Want her to start with ultrasound at 25.

Robin 

• khoover13
    khoover13 Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2009
    Options

I was 48 yrs old, dx with IBC stage IIIb on June 27th 2009.

• LittleC
    LittleC Member Posts: 69
    edited November 2009
    Options

One month after my 40th birthday.

I'd felt a lump about 3 years earlier in my armpit/breast area. Gyn said, it's nothing. Turned out to be the location of tumor in the lymph node bigger then the tumor in the breast.
    First Chemo, on April Fool's Day.

• dontknowwhy
    dontknowwhy Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2009
    Options

just turned 30 first dx IIb (2005)

33 - dx IV mets to lung (2009)

• bottkota
    bottkota Member Posts: 22
    edited November 2009
    Options

30 first diagnosis (turned 31 6 months later)

35 mets to sternum and surrounding lymph nodes.  waiting to start treatment.  praying that it goes no where else in the mean time.  saddens me to see so many young women on here.  i pray for a cure and one soon!

• janabelles
    janabelles Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2009
    Options

49 - stage iv at dx.  I feel so old compared to many of you.  I'm so sorry for all of us.

• Chelee
    Chelee Member Posts: 36
    edited November 2009
    Options

48    12-20-05...stage IIIA, Her2/Neu, 3+++, Er & Pr weakly pos, 5 of 16 pos nodes.

52     9-29-09 Stage IV -- Recurrence to rt. axilla, rt. femur, pelvis & sacrum.  Possible liver...PET slows slight activity but CT portions shows nothing on liver?  Also told chest wall but I have a large seroma there which the PET says is stable.  So not sure about chest wall or liver?

Chelee

• Bahons2
    Bahons2 Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2009
    Options

37 first primary

47 second primary

52 probable liver mets 

• KLee
    KLee Member Posts: 4
    edited November 2009
    Options

34 with stage 2

41 with stage 4 (with mets to most bones and lung)

I will be turning 52, in a few more weeks!

At 34, I had 3 young children : 9, 6 and 2 years old. It was a very scary time in my life! I now have 4 grandchildren! I know how scary it is for Mom's that have very young children - I never thought I would be alive to see them grow up...

• mindfulness
    mindfulness Member Posts: 5
    edited November 2009
    Options

I was 48 and stage IV from the start. I did have yearly mammograms and they were are negative. I too have an 18th year old daughter. I had her checked by my doctor and her suggestion is for her to start at 25. I am BRCA negative. 

• cp418
    cp418 Member Posts: 359
    edited November 2009
    Options

Found on routine mammogram just after my 49 birthday.  Stage 2 IDC.

• paigelise
    paigelise Member Posts: 4
    edited November 2009
    Options

My insurance paid for a baseline mammogram when I was 35 - it was normal

I was due for another mamm. when I turned 40 in April....I hadn't scheduled it yet but felt a lump in September so had the mamm and an ultrasound....it's IDC Stage IIA.  

By the way....I (and my Drs) could not feel my lump unless I was standing up.  When I layed down for a typical self exam it would blend in and noone could feel it.

Wendy 

• AllieF62
    AllieF62 Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2009
    Options

I was 34 when I was dx stage IIb, er/pr-, 36 dx metestatic bc stageIV er/pr-, her2+. In remission for 10 years now it is back and I am er/pr-, her2- this time

• Sunflower64
    Sunflower64 Member Posts: 4
    edited November 2009
    Options

44 at dx. my mammogram didn't see it 6 months prior to that. i found it looking in the mirror by accident.

i had a mammogram every year since age 30 and saw my oby/gyn yearly for breast exams.  onco said it was probably there for several years and my mammo never picked it up.  isn't that great?!

• rdrake0
    rdrake0 Member Posts: 12
    edited November 2009
    Options

59.  Most of my adult life I have averaged 130 pounds.  But I started gaining weight at 45, pre-menopause, about 5 pounds per year.  Then about 10 pounds per year from age 50 on until last Dec I reached 200 pounds!  I'm guessing the cancer started back around age 45-50 and the estrogen in the fat kept it fueled.  Try as I might I just could not stop the weight gain much less lose weight.   After chemo, I'm now down to 145.  I'm happy with that.

Ruth

• redskies
    redskies Member Posts: 8
    edited November 2009
    Options

initial dx stage IV, mets to liver