Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Poll - How old were you when dx with BC

Options

Comments

• Frapp
    Frapp Member Posts: 343
    edited January 2010
    Options

50 stage 4 with mets right out of the gate.   Had mamos but also "dense" breasts.  Everyone with dense breasts should insist on MRI. 

• DKNK22
    DKNK22 Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2010
    Options

30, Stage 4 from beginning. First doc told me the swelling in my breast was nothing more than a mild infection, no sono necessary. She joked and told me not to let my husband bite my boob for a while. She made me feel like a hypochondriac. a few months later when the breast grew my husband got freaked out so I went to a breast surgeon, who also told me it's probably nothing & she wouldn't even prescribe antibiotics for it, but at least she sent me for a sono/mamo, which led to a biop...etc. I can't imagine how many other diagnosis that first doctor missed. Hope she chokes on her retirement! 

• tami444
    tami444 Member Posts: 5
    edited January 2010
    Options

39 when diagnosed by biopsy turned lumpectomy ... and within 35 days had mastectomy and learned I had bone mets.

The kicker was ... I went in at 38 feeling a "shelf" of lumps.  PCP mammo'd and sonogramed, results said dense breasts for someone my age, everything fine, come back next year.  A year later, stage IV BC. 

• jeanne11
    jeanne11 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2010
    Options

I was 42.  When I was 37, I had a lot of swelling in my breast.  My doctor also said it was nothing to worry about.  After the second visit, he sent me for a mammogram.  I was told everything was fine.  No one told me that due to my very dense breasts, my mammograms were pretty much unreadable.  When I turned 42, my annual mammogram came back clean.  Three weeks later, I felt a lump that turned out to be 1.75 centimeters in size.  My then gynecologist told me it was nothing to worry about.  I just had a clean mammogram.  I can still remember the nurse who was standing behind him.  Her eyes got huge.  I fretted for three weeks and then insisted on an ultrasound.  When I asked the radiologist how they could have missed a lump that size, she showed me my films and explained due to the density of the breast tissue, the lump couldn't be seen.

I have had some really wonderful physicians along the way and some that I have wondered how they ever got through med school.  When I was first diagnosed, I didn't know a whole lot about the disease. At the time, I had one friend that had been diagnosed with it and she was (and still is) doing very well.  However, I am continued to be surprised by how many women don't really know anything about the disease, how young it can strike, that mammograms don't always catch it.  We expect our doctors to always know what tests to order and when to question results, but that doesn't always happen.  One of my doctor's thought I was being a bit paranoid.  He reminded me that when one hears hoof beats, don't look for zebras.  I think we all want the doctor who knows when to look for the zebras.

• Spoonchek
    Spoonchek Member Posts: 8
    edited January 2010
    Options

I was 51 diagnosed with BC Stage IIIc and 52 diagnosed with bone mets and Stage IV.

• MJ6266
    MJ6266 Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2010
    Options

HI.

I was 35 at stage IIB

Then mets at 39.

mary

• kimbers
    kimbers Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2010
    Options

Hi.

I was 39 ( a month before my 40th b-day). 

Kimber

• Danie
    Danie Member Posts: 5
    edited January 2010
    Options

I was 45, stage II in June 2007

I was 46, Stage IV in January 2008

Danie

• weety
    weety Member Posts: 371
    edited January 2010
    Options

Age 38

Found the lump while breastfeeding my 3rd baby (she was 6months old)

• Think_Pink88
    Think_Pink88 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2010
    Options

I was dx at age 20, liver mets found at age 20, and personally I think mammo's should be offered at any age...although I was dx young, they still found abnormalities in my mammo... after 40...Im sorry but thats just bs!!!

• khoover13
    khoover13 Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2010
    Options

I was 48.  Had clear mamo on March 12th 09, by June I was dx with Inflammatory Breast Cancer in right breast. Cancer found in 3 nodes. Calcifications found in right breast and removed at 43 yrs.

• Kellke
    Kellke Member Posts: 7
    edited February 2010
    Options

39  Stage IV

• 1vamom
    1vamom Member Posts: 82
    edited February 2010
    Options

40, but had felt a lump for several years. I thought it was just irritated milk ducts from breast-feeding, and then put off a mammogram for several years, because I "didn't have the time."

Now, I am hoping chemo will shrink this so I can save part of my breast, but I don't know much right now.

• charmainejensenvoisine
    charmainejensenvoisine Member Posts: 210
    edited February 2010
    Options

I was first dx breast cancer at the age of 49 years

September 17 2010 surgery Invasive Ductal Carcinoma

October 5 2010 surgery Infiltrating Lobular Carcinoma

(Stage 1)

I have been getting mammograms for about 6 years now as cancer runs big time in my family.  A sister of my mothers passed away from breast and lung cancer many years ago.  My mother has had breast cancer 2 times and she is still with us at the age of 83.

• stage4triplenegsurvivor
    stage4triplenegsurvivor Member Posts: 4
    edited February 2010
    Options

Had just turned 44 first diagnosis; 46 diagnosed stage 4 with lung met....

• pbandj
    pbandj Member Posts: 6
    edited February 2010
    Options

I had just passed my 32 birthday when I was dx and I have been stage IV for the beginning.

• JacquiAL
    JacquiAL Member Posts: 4
    edited February 2010
    Options

• lovehersomuch
    lovehersomuch Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2010
    Options

Sister originally dx at 33 with stage II, mets to lungs and brain at 37

• maryannecb
    maryannecb Member Posts: 74
    edited February 2010
    Options

regular yearly mammos since age 40

rapidly growing lump, 5months after last mammo

,initially diagnosed as fibrocystic(MRI,US and mammo),

9cm on removal!!!

Amazingly and thankfully NED after almost 5 years

THANK YOU HERCEPTIN

• mari55
    mari55 Member Posts: 12
    edited February 2010
    Options

43  with DCIS on the right. I had mastectomy.  Now at 54 I have metastatic CA to bone and a new primary DCIS on the left

• SusanR
    SusanR Member Posts: 59
    edited February 2010
    Options

46 at initial Stage IIB 4/29 nodes positive.  6 years later at 52 Stage IV mets to bone.

• dragonfly
    dragonfly Member Posts: 6
    edited February 2010
    Options

age 43

• justpayton1
    justpayton1 Member Posts: 65
    edited February 2010
    Options

age 38

• ibcmets
    ibcmets Member Posts: 312
    edited February 2010
    Options

Terri

• kate_e
    kate_e Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2010
    Options

30, and pregnant, stage 2b.

33, with a three month old, stage 4 (liver and bone mets). 

• luvmyself
    luvmyself Member Posts: 58
    edited February 2010
    Options

First dx'd at 42 with IDC 2.5cm er/pr- her2+ did TAC/ rads/Herceptin for 10 months

2nd dx'd at 43 with local recurrence in the same breast had mastectomy plus 6 months of CMF her2+ er/pr -

3rd dx'd at 44 with local recurrence on the mastectomy scar line had 6 months of xeloda/tykerb

4th dx'd at 45 with regional recurrence to skin with on positve lymph node currently on weekly Navelbine/Herceptin.  Hoping this does the trick- so I can be daning a long time with NED.

• HairSprayMom
    HairSprayMom Member Posts: 6
    edited February 2010
    Options

Staged IIIB (Tumors in chest wall)

Triple Negative

Kickin 40 in the ass and still hanging with my man NED!

• marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482
    edited February 2010
    Options

I'd be curious to see if anyone could make a spreadsheet out of this ... I realize it's just bco members, but even so!  I had just passed my 50th bday and was feeling pretty damned smug about my overall health.  I was overweight, but other than that, just fine and dandy.  That almost 5 yrs ago.  I was Stage 2 (I don't even remember if A or B or...)  one sentinel involved.  Did lumpectomy, chemo, rads and tamoxifen (now aromasin).  Feeling great and looking forward to that 5th anniv'y in August.  I know it's no guarantee, but it'll still feel pretty damned good :)  Hugs and love to you all.

• iVintage87
    iVintage87 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2010
    Options

Whoa i must say this scares me a bit. I'm not the one with BC myself but my mom was diagnosed with stage 4 at 36. I've mentioned this many times at paps I've been to asking about what I should do as far as trying to keep an eye on it catch it early. They suggested I start getting mammograms at 30 and until then just sticking with the yearly breast exam that happens at my paps. They said there has not been many if any cases of people being diagnosed in their 20's but I see here that it has happened for some people...did you find out through and initial breast exam?

• ananda8
    ananda8 Member Posts: 1,418
    edited February 2010
    Options

I'll try to gather the stats and will post when I get to 100 replies. We are at 395 replies now and if I don't do it in batches it will just be too much.

I was 61.  My mammogram and sonogram were clear.  Five months later, I found a 2.4 cm lump myself.